PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else in disbelief about the OTC line?

Warstar
05-10-2004, 04:47 PM
I started re-collecting Star Wars toys when the current Power of the Force stuff was released in the summer of 1995...that's 9 years ago now! There were 6 figures in that first wave...then 8...and now it's to the point where they are re-releasing the stuff that was available 9 years ago NOW!

...I find that weird and disturbing. It's like I was in the hobby long enough to watch Hasbro re-release it all to get more $$$ from the old molds!

Blows me away. I can't believe it's been 9 years! Then again, I was 21 that summer, and I got EVERYTHING for the Star Wars line.

A question I have is this: Is there demand for these toys now or is Hasbro just looking for a way to make $$$ off of old molds? Is this a pre-emptive market push to capitalize off of the Star Wars Trilogy DVD release so today's kids can get their Star Wars toys after they see the movies?

It amazes me that Hasbro can make money off of this Original Trilogy toyline simply because you can get almost anything from 1995 on up on Ebay for cheaper than old retail cost (at least for things like vehicles and most of the common figures that they're re-releasing anyway).

Another question: Does the OTC line feel like a waste of time to anyone else? It sure does to me. Instead of re-releasing why not tweak a bit? Instead of new packaging that looks like the 70's stuff, why not create all new stuff?

I am sure these questions have been asked over and over again, but it would be good to hear some opinions from some long time collector's like me out there.

Rant away :)

Kidhuman
05-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Well being targeted for kids, I think they will make money. As for us collectors, we will not be buying everything. There are your completeists who must have it all, but I am not one of them. There are more recards than new figures, but, thats why they are charging 10 bucks for the VOTC, because we, the collectors will pay that much for them. In the long run, I kind of hope for a lot of recards/rehashes/reissues/re-whatever, because it will help me save money for EP3 merchandise.

JEDIpartner
05-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Ummmm... the re-issues are fine as long as there are new figures being released concurrently with those re-issues.

Hellboy
05-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Well I think its pretty obvious that Hasbro is trying to capitalize on the release of the OT on DVD. From a buisness standpoint its a very smart move on their part.

I don't see the production of these recarded figures as a missed opportunity at having new figures made because we seem to be getting the same amount of new sculpts we do in any non-movie year and the quality seems to be at a much higher level than just a year ago. Its nice for the collectors who may have missed some of these the first time around and for the person who wants to start collecting but can't afford to buy these at aftermarket prices. Remember not all of these recarded figures are easily found, whether on ebay or from some other online retailer. Figures like the Scout Trooper were hard to find, and assuming the version we're going to get in the OTC is the clean version I'm really excited at the opportunity to finally army build with this one without going broke. Now I understand that not all these figures have this sort of appeal or were as scarce the first time around but the majority of these seem to be the best representation of the main characters, like the MMC C-3PO or Luke Skywalker: Jedi Knight from Jabba's Palace for example.

So basically what I'm trying to say is I don't feel the OTC line is a waste of time. It may not be all new stuff but there are some figures that have been on many collectors most wanted lists such as the Cloud Car Pilot and Lobot that are a part of this line. So if you don't like or need the recarded stuff don't buy them, you vote on the lines success with your wallet. If anything this shows that being a completest of carded figures is getting pretty ridiculous and is no longer practical. Maybe it will get more people to save their hard earned $ for something else and at the same time generate interest in SW toys for those who haven't collected up to this point because they didn't feel like it was accessible.

mtriv73
05-10-2004, 08:37 PM
I'm only upset because this may be our last chance for a significant number of Original trilogy toys. I don't think the line will be around too long after Episode III (I hope I'm wrong), and there are still a lot of things I'd like to see made new not re-released.

bigbarada
05-10-2004, 08:46 PM
I know this might shock some of you, but Hasbro is a gigantic worldwide corporation. So, surprise surprise, they will jump at any opportunity to make money. The OT DVD release has provided that opportunity sooooo.... the OTC line is born.

Rereleases have been a fact of life since 1978. Those of us who have been collecting since the beginning know this.

The solution is simple: If you already have the figure and don't want another one, then don't buy it.

If you are a staunch completist and are ticked off at what you perceive to be Hasbro milking you for more money, then you should reevaluate your collecting goals.

LTBasker
05-10-2004, 08:50 PM
I have no problem with it whatsoever. Frankly...we constantly complained about resculpts especially those that feel compelled to buy every 1 of each different figure, even if they don't like it. But this way, they pick a good version of a character and then rerelease it. Now people may get 1 to keep packaged, but after that if the line stays consistent. They shouldn't have to ever buy it again during that packaging run, because they've been keeping the same. It's all based on personal choice, do you want to get that figure again? Do you REALLY need the full set?

They made the right decision with these, plus people can get figures there were never before available on cards such as MOTDS Vader (a really great figure!), and the MMC TRU Exclusive C-3PO (Best 3PO. Still.). So it's alot better than unneeded resculpts of figures that turn out to be virtually the same as the last one two waves ago.

This way, theres more time and money that can go towards new figures since they don't have to worry about sculpting a new version of a figure, just to get the character in circulation again. :)

Kidhuman
05-10-2004, 08:55 PM
Plus, by reissuing these figures, Hasbro has plenty of time to work on Quality EPIII figures.

Turbowars
05-10-2004, 09:14 PM
I love card variants so bring it on Hasbro, but no more Commtech Han's please.:D I have been crying for this kind of card style for years and now it's here. I just hope it will last to get some other OT figure on these cards.

bigbarada
05-10-2004, 09:20 PM
I have been crying for this kind of card style for years and now it's here. I just hope it will last to get some other OT figure on these cards.

I agree, this is the best card design for the figures since the vintage days, so I am glad to be able to 'rebuy' the 'recards' of some of my favorite figures.

Hasbro's gonna make a carded collector out of me yet. :)

Jaff
05-11-2004, 01:45 PM
I'm only upset because this may be our last chance for a significant number of Original trilogy toys. I don't think the line will be around too long after Episode III (I hope I'm wrong), and there are still a lot of things I'd like to see made new not re-released.

I think Mtriv sums up my viewpoint. Time is coming close to the end for the films, and after III the numbers are bound to drop unless the line is phenomenal. With time running out a new Luke, Han, Darth is a dime a dozen, but a Hermi Odle, Tonikka sisters is nowhere. Reissuing figures and vehicles will only attract impulse buyers that is not enough to constitute cases and lines to be created. The collectors is the core market Hasbro must target, and it is not kids. We all know this and trying to reason their intentions is foolhardy because they are being fool hardy. In the end the collectors will shell out the cash for reissues due to boredom of new figures. That's why Hasbro probably thinks we are foolhardy, and that is why they are pushing out all of these rehashes.

I don't intend to buy any rehashes except the bespin and dagobah assortments. the rest is to be ignored unless there are army builder figs.

dindae
05-11-2004, 04:28 PM
I'm reserving judgement on the OTC line. Right now the new sculpts yoda, dagobah luke, holo obi, lobot, bespin leia and vintage figs are vast improvements. It also seems that they will still be putting out new figures every month which is great (although my pockets are really light right now). The rerelease annoy me only because I know that I will buy them and Hasbro knows I will buy them even though I already have these figures. The only bad thing about rereleases is if they start to clog up the shelves. We already have a hard time finding figures with nothing on the shelves. If stores get overflowing with crap everyone already has then it will just make a bad situation worse. I'm not too worried about that because my brother completist and I will make sure the recarded figures as long as they don't ship in large amounts.

So basically I think that the saga line has been great since the Han Hoth wave with lots up great background figures and as long as the core line stays solid they can try whatever special sets and new lines as long as it doesn't impact the distribution.

jedi master sal
05-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Seems like I'm in the minority here for once.

Normally I would agree with most of you fellows about not buying rehashes, but the mitigating factor here for me is the CARD. I'm not a completist, not even a near completist anymore, but the new retro card design is excellent. Plus the background photos look good so far. For me it's that pairing of the retro look and photo that are making me look forward to these. I'll be buying at least one of everyone of the OTC figs.

Normally I'm an opener (roughly 85% of my stuff is open), but with this line I'm going to keep one of each strictly carded. Again because of design but also because this seems to be a limited run card for just the OTC, so there won't be that many of them to collect. Of course I'll army build some like the stormie and biker.

So while I don't usually like rehashes, just this once I'm going to "bite".

Like the rest of you though, I hope that by reissuing these figs, it's giving more time to have great sculpts for EPIII figs.

-Sal

evenflow
05-13-2004, 11:39 AM
I am pretty much unhappy with the line. At toyfair things looked cool, but after that all passed I felt like ehh. I will buy new figures, and thats about it. All the re-releases can just sit on the shelves.

Kidhuman
05-13-2004, 01:47 PM
I think this "second oppurtunity" to get figures we missed before is great. AGlthough most of us will not be buying the entire line of this, we still get that second chance.

evenflow
05-14-2004, 08:04 AM
At this point I think this line is horrible. Now that they showed us they are not even new sculpts just the same old figures on new card I am unhappy with this year. I will only be picking up the new figures.

jjreason
05-14-2004, 08:30 AM
Seems like most people are holding off on the repacks - sounds reasonable. What I don't understand is the complaining. Yes, we're missing out on a bunch of new figures from the OT as a result - but would you rather have crappy figures from epIII next year? The focus has changed, guys. The wheels are well in motion for the release of the final chapter next May. If you're disappointed in how few figures you're buying before the end of this year, open a savings account with the extra money. There are likely going to be in excess of 30 figures to buy in the second week of April next year (based on history - 21 for epI and 27 for epII).

Ric Olie
05-14-2004, 08:40 AM
I'm mainly dissapointed that Hasbro will not make any prequel figures for 2004. There's about 8 Padme figures that have yet to be made or Jango in his Kamino clothes. There's still tons of prequel figures I would like to see then the umptenth Luke or Vader figure.

Now some of the Empire figures look great and I may pick up a few of them but overall I'm not really that excited about the OTC. I wish Hasbro would kept the Saga collection going.

Most of the money I was planning on spending on figures for this year can be saved for Episode III figures next year.

Old Fossil
05-14-2004, 09:37 AM
If it's on the shelf and it strikes my fancy, I'll buy it. I'm not especially excited about the OTC line, and that includes the resculpts and the new figures like the Cloud Car Pilot and the more recent Ozzel and Madine. I mean, looking at the Hasbro checklist, I already have nearly all those figures. So basically, for the rest of the year I can look forward to seeing mostly reissued figures on the pegs, and hope to snag the occasional new one every few weeks or couple of months. I may change my mind upon seeing those colorful cards in person, but at present it seems doubtful.

I was disappointed to see that they were recarding the old POTF2 Bib Fortuna and Gamorrean Guard. I had really hoped for nice resculpts of those. The old Gamorrean is still a nice figure, but I know now that Hasbro could do so much more with it; and I never liked that Bib Fortuna with the rubbery robes.

Another disappointment is the recarding of the POTJ Tusken Raider. Not a bad figure, not bad at all, but compared with the Saga Tusken... well, there is no comparison. Why choose an inferior sculpt, Hasbro, when you have in essence an 'ultimate' one at your disposal?

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this sort of thing. Seems more a habit or ritual nowadays than a hobby, fit more for kids than an old curmudgeon like me.

dindae
05-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Seems like most people are holding off on the repacks - sounds reasonable. What I don't understand is the complaining. Yes, we're missing out on a bunch of new figures from the OT as a result - but would you rather have crappy figures from epIII next year? The focus has changed, guys. The wheels are well in motion for the release of the final chapter next May. If you're disappointed in how few figures you're buying before the end of this year, open a savings account with the extra money. There are likely going to be in excess of 30 figures to buy in the second week of April next year (based on history - 21 for epI and 27 for epII).

I know I complain because I'm sick. I know I will by as many recards as they put out. Why do I do it? I think it is because I have for so long I don't know how to stop. Before this year I've acquire 150 carded variations which is is about 15 a year. This year we have 31 from OTC and 12 from HOF with more to come. So this is why I not happy. Sure if you don't collect carded variations then its no big deal except that you may be wanting some more new figures to look foward to.

Kidhuman
05-14-2004, 10:03 AM
I dont see a need for complaining. Dindgae, I understgand whagt you're saying about the variations. The only advice I can offer you if you want some, is look at the Han, Luke Vader, or whoever and say, I own you already. If you feel your hand reaching for it, slap it down. Or just order online. You control what you get then.

evenflow
05-14-2004, 01:07 PM
What I don't understand is the complaining.

Complaining gives us reasons to talk :D

jjreason
05-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Even if you include repacks, how many figures will there have been for 2004? There were 52 basics from 2003, not including variants.

12 HOF
38 OTC
21 (?) Saga

That's 71 figures, 19 more than last year, before we count the vintage nouveau collection. I feel your pain if you're a carded completist.

That number alone helps me understand a little more of what's ticking people off - my total out of that 71 will be way less than half, even if I buy 5 TIE Pilots to bump the troop totals.

Kidhuman
05-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Complaining gives us reasons to talk :D

That it does, so stop complaining about the complaining.

BTW you should add that to your sig line. Its very quote worthy.

Turbowars
05-14-2004, 06:52 PM
BTW you should add that to your sig line. Its very quote worthy.Hell I might put that on my sig line.:p

B'Omarr Monkey
05-17-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm of mixed feelings about the OT line. I'm pretty close to being caught up, and am just down to Ozzel, Madine and J'Quille in the most recent waves. I will most likely skip anything in the OT line that is not a new sculpt. I will leave the recarded figures on the pegs, with a couple of exceptions like the Gamorrean Guard, which I'll pick up for my kids.

I'll most likely use the time and money to get the new vintage figures, and to fill in the few gaps left in my collection, as well as some non SW stuff I'm looking forward to.

When are the OT figures supposed to start hitting stores? I can't believe that there won't be anything new out there between the Madine wave and when the OT DVD set comes out in the Fall. That's a whole summer of nothing.

But, since I'm still seeing waves from Christmas hitting the pegs, maybe the figures some of us are having a hard time finding now, will be in abundance over the next few months.

Kidhuman
05-17-2004, 11:07 PM
When are the OT figures supposed to start hitting stores? I can't believe that there won't be anything new out there between the Madine wave and when the OT DVD set comes out in the Fall. That's a whole summer of nothing.

Acording to EE, they start shipping in June. The Dagobah wave that is. 4 new figures and 4 or 5 repacks.

B'Omarr Monkey
05-17-2004, 11:08 PM
That's welcome news. Thanks, KH.

Turbowars
05-17-2004, 11:26 PM
and here's the pics of wave 9 and 10 from EE

Kidhuman
05-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Very sweet Turbo. At least Dagobah is shipping a plenty.

Warstar
05-18-2004, 03:21 PM
WELL! (Long post ahead. Settle in and get comfortable)

I started a good thread it seems :)

After reading it all, it's time to comment.

Rereleases have been a fact of life since 1978. Those of us who have been collecting since the beginning know this.

Being 30 years old, I know this all too well. I remember getting my first figures in the summer of 1980- I got a Tuskin Raider (Sand People), 2-1B and a Star Destroyer Commander. They started it all. After that, I got everyone, save a Vinyl-caped Jawa (I remember those on the shelf though, and I remember not liking them because the cloth ones were so much cooler >_<! ) and the last original POTF wave (save for the Ewoks and the Imperial Dignitary). Point being, I remember seeing a lot of figures rereleased on different cards- Star Wars, Empire, Jedi and Power of the Force cards. Kenner did it back in the day and Hasbro is doing it now. It's not a bad thing- I was more freaked out by the fact that I have all of the old re-release OTC figures opened and as originally carded already, and that it's been 9 years since I first got them!

If you are a staunch completist and are ticked off at what you perceive to be Hasbro milking you for more money, then you should reevaluate your collecting goals.

I was a staunch completist- Hell, I was one of the now dying breed that bought one to keep carded (per each card variation- I agree- NO MORE COMMTECH HAN SOLOS!!! Actually...R5-D4 was the worst card variation collector nightmare ever, as there were at least 8 variants as I have that many...and let's not bring in my 8 carded Darth Maul variants) and one figure (or more) to open (per paint variation). I had a decent job making $30,000+ per year for a good three years and I spent a LOT on Star Wars stuff. It also helped to live 60 miles south of Denver, Colorado, where the Star Wars Fan Club used to be headquartered, and being invited to their Warehouse clearance sales :D (Imagine buying figures for $1 each with no tax- NOW imagine buying 16 EU Dark Troopers for $16- I did it. It was wonderful- and as any old collector on this board can tell you, I helped a LOT of people expand their own collections...) I still have all my major variants from the original line up until the end of the Episode 1 line. I started into the POTJ line and somewhere in the middle of it, I stopped. Now I am not too sure why. I saw all of the Episode 2 line on the shelves and it took every ounce of strength I had to not buy them all plus the insert/non-insert variants. I did succeed, however...though I bought quite a few Clone Troopers, Saga Vader and Luke Bespin, Yoda, Dooku, Mace- but then I REALLY stopped. As a super-collector, I think it was not only the money situation that changed- I left that job and 5 months later they closed the place down where I worked. I moved to another state and went back to college to get a second degree, so yeah- I was poorer than I used to be. However, maybe it was something else- I'll address this later in this post.

With Star Wars' 30th anniversary in 2007, Phantom Menace's 10th in 2009, Empire's 30th in 2010, Jedi's 30th and Episode 2's 10th in 2013, and Episode 3's 10th in 2015 respectively, I am willing to bet that we may see at least a few figures released for each of those occaisions. However, the majority of the line- that is the Star Wars sections you see in stores right now will die and go away after Episode 3. Why? Well, there's the possibility of different good movies with toys coming out. Something new we don't know of might eclipse the popularity of Star Wars a bit (heaven forbid Star Trek re-surfaces!). A "Hobbit" film or re-release of Lord of the Rings might eclipse Star Wars to many younger people now anyway. The LOTR trilogy, arguably, is better than the original Star Wars trilogy but in a VERY different way- the original Star Wars trilogy is hands-down the best Space Opera ever made- it *defined* the genre. The LOTR films are the best fantasy movies ever made- they *perfected* that genre. Comparing the two is like apples to oranges but I digress...

Kids will stop demanding figures once Star Wars passes from the public eye, and only us of the "Old School" collectors will want them and, ultimately, we'll only get a few. I don't know if the "Dark Times" will ever come back- the period from 1986 to 1995 when no new figures or toys were made. After 2015, though, it could happen unless they make figures ever 5th anniversary of the movies!

...and now a moment of silence for Timothy Zahn's original Thrawn trilogy book series that put Star Wars back in the public eye and back on the mass production map in 1991- he saved Star Wars for all of us by showing that the public was eager for new stories that took place in that galaxy far, far away...

Moving on-

Thankfully Hasbro is doing a MUCH better job of keeping track of their molds and equipment than Kenner did. If Kenner kept better track of their stuff when they stopped making Star Wars toys back in the late 80's, we might have a LOT more re-releases. The fact they didn't is why we don't have as many re-released original vehicles as we do (they had to retool a LOT of the Imperial Shuttle using the original production toys in order to remake the molds in order to re-release it, for example). By and large, though, most of the most popular vehicles from back in the day have been redone and redone well.

Anyway, since Hasbro is keeping track of their stuff, they will have the ability to press new figures in the future. We might not get new sculpts after 2006, but we'll get toys- just like the OTC wave now. Then again, maybe we'll have 1 or 2 very special sculpts, and I hope that's the road Hasbro continues down.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this sort of thing. Seems more a habit or ritual nowadays than a hobby, fit more for kids than an old curmudgeon like me.

This could be why that after 8+ years of completist collecting from 1995 to 2003, I stopped. The hobby ceased being fun and started becoming a tedious job, rife with nasty secondary market assholes who charged astronomical prices for their, in essence, CHILDREN'S toys!

I got royally screwed in 1999 with the Freeze Frame figures. I missed out on all of the Collection 1 wave, so I bid on and won them all on Ebay for an average of $18 a piece- which was a bargain until KB Toys cleaned out their warehouses and clearanced them all for $.99 a piece! That royally sucked...I got my revenge on Ebay though, after I was the first to sell a 12" Electronic Talking Black-Vest Darth Maul. I opened the auction for figure at its cost- $34.99. I ended up getting $800+ (that's right- eight HUNDRED dollars) from a Japanese collector! Since I didn't really collect the 12" figures (I only got the Maul because he was cool and the variation was keen), it was no great loss to my collection. After I sold mine for that much, they popped up all over Ebay. The next one sold for $500, then another for $200, then you couldn't $20 for them. HAHA! I WON!

But...I felt bad. I started feeling like I was one of those assholes who was profiting in the secondary market, and I hated that feeling- even though I started the auction at cost, I was still charging way too much for CHILDREN'S toys.

In collecting, it's hard not to become the very people you hate when it comes to selling or giving the toys to other collectors. At first, you figure you can get the toys and sell them to other less lucky or fortunate collectors at cost, but then you start thinking about all the gas it took to get to the store, then the post office, not to mention packing the figure in a box and the time it takes to get everything packed and sent to the person...

To those rare few out there who still help other collector's this way, I salute you. Don't go down the Ebay path for once you do, forever will dominate your destiny (as it has mine).

Anyway-

A few months after the Maul sale, I started getting bitter, but that feeling did not solidify until years later when I heard about the Silver "exclusives" and the Disney Star Tours Droids crap. And now, today, I feel I left Star Wars collecting at exactly the right time, because damn would it be tough to get just one of all those "Special" figures (even with my old connections), let alone getting 1 to keep and 1 to open and all the card and paint variants. The Disney Star Tours figures were just not fair to the rest of us completists who couldn't afford the trip to Disney World or the Star Tours figure's initial astronomical Ebay prices (which once again, made me feel bad for that 12" Black Vested Maul...)

The Chromed Darth Vader was another slap to the face for the completist collector, as was Jorg Sacul at Celebration II. These figures were nigh impossible to get at their initial release, and once again 1 to keep 1 to open was (and still is) impractical.

The release of those figures felt like it was Hasbro catering to the rich, basically, and creating a storm in the secondary market in order to prove their business savvy. Bravo. You did well Hasbro!

Some of us didn't buy the ploy, however...

And might I say SCREW Hasbro for using its marketing savvy, Microsoft-like domination strong-arm tactics, and marketing position to steal the Shrek toy License from McFarlane Toys! Hasbro's Shrek 2 figures SUCK compared to McFarlane's old Shrek figs- but that's another discussion all together.

...after the storm that was the Star Tours figures and the continuing Silver figure madness, I'm glad I got out.

Don't get me wrong, though- I still miss the figures and the hobby immensely. I see some of the new sculpts and releases and it takes a whole lot of strength not to buy them. But I don't- and that makes me and my wallet a lot happier in the long run.

I am a completist. It is a sickness and I need help.

Amen brother. It is indeed a sickness, but a self-induced one. Take it from me- you CAN break it- I did. All you have to do one day is NOT buy ONE variant. Just skip it. Walk to the next aisle. Leave the store. Get a girlfriend. SOMETHING. Just focus on something else.

Eventually, skipping that one figure will lead to skipping another. Avoid Ebay like the plague- because maybe that paint or card variant you skipped is worth a lot of money- but hey? You weren't going to buy it to sell anyway, were you?

Once you pass that first figure up it gets easier. Passing up the Episode II toy line on the first release day was the hardest thing as a Star Wars super-collector I ever HAD to do- but I did...though I still bought a few in the end, granted. But that was like maybe 10 figures compared to the 27+ figures and variants that were released that fateful day. However, I bet you could skip a few figures- challenge yourself to skip the Episode III figures. With a bit of self-control, you probably could.

Besides? Like in the summer of 1999 when all of the old secondary market expensive Star Wars Freeze Frame figures were released to KB Toys at $.99 a piece, I bet the Episode III figures will have the same thing happen in 2007- and then you get them all for at least 1/5th of the original price!

Thanks to everyone who has answered this thread so far. I suppose the OTC line isn't a waste of time to those who never got the figures in the first place. The cards do look extremely good, granted, and some of the new sculpts and figures look awesome as well!

I suppose one should just make sure that they're buying these OTC figures because they want to- not because they feel they have to- and to remember that it doesn't take a single toy to still love the new and original Star Wars movies.

...just make sure you buy the Original Trilogy DVD's in September ;)

dindae
05-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Ok I guess I've been complaining about the recards a bit much but that is all that has been announced for a while. I realize that buying them is my own choice and that if I got tired of it I should stop. This is why I have my signature line, because until I quit collecting, no matter how much I complain I will buy it anyway. When it comes down to it I want it all even R5-D4 with his shoulder cannons. And just to set the record straight Warstar my girlfriend and I have been together for over five years. :D

Warstar
05-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Hehehe

Oh- what I wouldn't do for a significant other who would/could support my old hobby. You lucky guy you ;)

Anyway, yeah. I know that feeling of wanting it all...it was ultimately self-destructive, though. At least for me.

Thankfully, it sounds like you're ok- you're at least aware that you can stop if you want to. I suppose if you don't have to then don't :D

I had to though :(. For a while there it was either be thrown out on the street or buy all the figures...I chose rent :D

And if you want those R5-D4's...or the Maul variants, message me :greedy:

(SIGH! Damn Ebay... :dead: )

dindae
05-18-2004, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=Warstar]Hehehe

Oh- what I wouldn't do for a significant other who would/could support my old hobby. You lucky guy you ;)
[QUOTE]

Hasbro has it's claws in her too. She addicted to My Little Pony and these import Disney figures put out by Tomy (a subsidiary of Hasbro). Did I mention I collect the tcg cards by WOTC (Hasbro)?

One day they will own my soul. :nerv:

B'Omarr Monkey
05-18-2004, 10:22 PM
As a loose completist, this is not as big a headache for me as my cards are torn off anyway. I would still rather have Hasbro rerelease whatever they consider the best sculpts of the basic essential figures (which is what they seem to be doing ie; Han, Leia, C-3PO) periodically than completely resculpt them every time. That way a kid, or new collector, or even a casual collector can have their Tatooine Luke and R2-D2 and I can buy something else instead.

I remember trying to find an extra Tatooine Luke back in 1997, and being annoyed that they weren't out there (I can't remember why I needed one. A gift maybe?) This wasn't the way they did it with the vintage line. Luke was always available.

I know somebody is going to say that I don't need to buy every Luke or Darth Vader resculpt that comes along, and that's true, and I recognize it. I generally only bought them because of sculpting improvements over previous versions, or because of new accesories, or I liked the new pose. In the end I ended up with all of them. But, enough is enough. I say periodically rerelease the good sculpts and save new sculpts for new, previously unmade characters.

evenflow
05-19-2004, 08:15 AM
I am just glad I am no longer a completist. With the continuous releases of the same figures over and over again resculpted, I just stopped buying them. Now I only buy new figures, and anything I may like.

Hellboy
05-19-2004, 03:40 PM
and here's the pics of wave 9 and 10 from EE

SWEET!!!!! The Biker Scout is the clean version. :D

Thanks for posting the pics Turbo, you made my day. :)