PDA

View Full Version : The Next Legend of Zelda!

James Boba Fettfield
05-11-2004, 09:14 PM
It's been four long years since Nintendo unveiled its Space World 2000 demo of Legend of Zelda. The realistic take on the action-adventure franchise, which showcased a brief fight sequence between an older, meaner Link and a downright evil looking Gannondorf, was shelved less than a year after its unveiling so that Nintendo could instead pursue the cel-shaded Wind Waker style. But Nintendo fans never forgot about that brief trailer that showed so much promise.

And, as it turns out, neither did Nintendo.
Today at its pre-E3 event in Los Angeles, Nintendo dropped a earth-shaking bomb. Not only has it secretly been working on a brand new Legend of Zelda title inspired by its famous Space World 2000 demo, but the game is very far along and looks absolutely drop-dead gorgeous.

As the lights dimmed and the brief trailer for the game rolled, press on hand seemed unsure about what to expect. But when the music kicked in -- an homage to the 1998 Ocarina of Time movie spot -- the crowd went wild. (The new Legend of Zelda trailer actually features the same song from composer Basil Poledouris, who orchestrated Conan The Barbarian.) What followed was an awe-inspiring display of cutting-edge graphics and an overall crowd reaction that approached a pure state of euphoria.

The footage showcased a detailed adult Link as he rode his horse across an expansive Hyrule, did battle with a number of different enemy types including a Moblin, Bokoblins and multiple Lizalfos. In one stunning scene, the sun set as dark riders advanced over the horizon. In another, Link battled against a gigantic fire boss. He also explored the forest, seemed to solve puzzles in a dungeon and more. The visuals, featuring what is hands-down the best Link model ever designed and a host of impressive technical feats such as advanced lighting and shadow effects, crisp textures, and impressive draw distance, to name a few, made Nintendo fans' eyes roll in their heads.

After the display ended and the crowd settled, Nintendo designer and director Shigeru Miyamoto took the stage with Master Sword and shield in hand and addressed lucky attendees. "I am not Link, but I do know him!" he joked. "Even after 18 years the Legend of Zelda never stops changing and this game is no different. We are now taking you to a world where Link has grown up -- a world where he will act different and look different. In order to grow, Link must not stand still and neither will I. Thank you and goodbye." With a few more sword swings, Miyamoto stepped off the stage.

The game, simply titled Legend of Zelda (and not Wind Waker 2), is set for release on GameCube sometime next year.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/513/513375p1.html?fromint=1

Here's the trailer. (http://media.nintendo.com/mediaFiles/b080225c-960e-4a52-a2c6-d7db10bdaef0.mov)

Looks good!

-Durge-
05-12-2004, 01:19 AM
Oooooooh Myyyyyyyyyy God!!!

This Is What I Have Been Waiting For!!!

evenflow
05-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Sounds Amazing. I can't wait for this to come out.

scruffziller
05-12-2004, 10:00 AM
MAN IT IS ABOUT FRIGGIN' TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazed: :cool:

Lord Malakite
05-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Conan music. Got to love that. Amazing that this game is running on the Wind Waker game engine.

bigbarada
06-07-2004, 02:11 AM
WOW! I'm loving this idea of a grown-up Zelda adventure for fans like me, who got hooked onto the series over a decade ago and were a little bit disappointed by the G-Rated turn the games seemed to be taking.

Not to say that I didn't like Wind Waker, it's still one of my favorites, but I feel that this is the game I've been waiting for all along. Lets hope it doesn't disappoint.

Hellboy
06-10-2004, 07:31 PM
I can't wait, I love the Zelda series.

I agree the Conan music is great. :cool:

bigbarada
06-14-2004, 02:10 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else here detect a distinct Lord of the Rings influence on this game?

Sentinel18725
06-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Is this being released next week? I saw an ad in Best Buy, for Tuesday, of the Legend of Zelda Four Swords. Is this it? Wow! I'm glad that I do have a gamecube, despite it's lack of other games.

bigbarada
06-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Is this being released next week? I saw an ad in Best Buy, for Tuesday, of the Legend of Zelda Four Swords. Is this it? Wow! I'm glad that I do have a gamecube, despite it's lack of other games.

Nope, the Four Swords game is a sort of cross between Wind Waker and the SNES Zelda (Link to the Past) with multiplayer capabilities. I'm assuming we'll see this latest, greatest incarnation sometime late next year.

Lord Malakite
06-21-2004, 08:35 AM
Exactly what bigbarada said about Four Swords Adventures. The story continues several months after the first Four Swords game (included on the same cart as the GBA version of Link to the Past). The game has two modes, "Hyrulean Adventure" (the main story/quest) [1-4 players] and "Shadow Battle" (vs. mode) [2-4 players]. The nice thing about this one is you can play one player (unlike the original), and you have the option of using either a GCN controller or a GBA w/ GCN link cable. The down side is if you want to play with 2 or more players though, everone has to own a GBA and a GCN link cable. One GCN link cable comes free with the game though, so thats a plus.

As for the new GCN Zelda shown at E3, I wouldn't expect that until late 2005. Two other Zelda games are also being developed though as we speak, The Minish Cap for GBA and an as of yet unamed Zelda game for the new DS handheld.

bigbarada
06-21-2004, 12:41 PM
I'm glad the 4 Swords game for the GCN included a single player mode. I was never able to play 4 Swords for the Game Boy since no one I knew was interested in buying a $100 Game Boy just to play one game.

In any case, this game is okay, but it is just a way to pass the time until the next "true" Zelda game (hopefully THe Minish Cap).

So does Nintendo think that every American kid is just filthy rich? Why else would they expect people to make a $580 investment just to play one game? ($100 for the GCN, $100 each for the GBAs, $50 for the game, $30 for the three extra link cables).

Lord Malakite
06-23-2004, 11:16 AM
I don't think Nintendo believes American kids are rich enough to afford all of the costs to play this game bigb. I believe the main thought behind developing this game is that the player also has some friends who are also Nintendo GBA and GCN owners and are willing to play. Its more of a party or sleepover kind of game than anything else, like the Mario Party game series.

Ironically I'm stuck in the same boat you bigb. :p I have never played the original Four Swords either. I just couldn't justify buying a game I already own for the SNES just for one new dungeon and a new Zelda game, both of which I could never play because I don't have a second GBA to do mult. player. And even if I did, I'd still need more than one copy of the game (every player has to have a copy of the game to play the original Four Swords). lol

scruffziller
05-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Here is an updated trailer on the Nintendo site.

http://www.nintendo.com/gameminiav?gameid=54610f14-1826-4d46-9981-8f72874aee2e&anchor=avcontent-24075380-ce06-4c00-8da8-d13f4835bf78#avcontent-24075380-ce06-4c00-8da8-d13f4835bf78

bigbarada
07-24-2006, 01:33 AM
So what's the word on this? Will this still be playable on the Gamecube or will it be strictly for the Wii?

The delays don't really bother me, I remember waiting about 2 years for Ocarina of Time, and that game definitely turned out to be worth it.

I just hope that Twilight Princess will still be playable on the GCN, otherwise just what have I been holding onto this system for? (aside from Resident Evil 4 of course)

Lord Malakite
07-25-2006, 01:33 AM
So what's the word on this? Will this still be playable on the Gamecube or will it be strictly for the Wii?

The delays don't really bother me, I remember waiting about 2 years for Ocarina of Time, and that game definitely turned out to be worth it.

I just hope that Twilight Princess will still be playable on the GCN, otherwise just what have I been holding onto this system for? (aside from Resident Evil 4 of course)

The current word on Twilight Princess is that there will be two different versions of the game released on the same day as the launch of the Wii console. One version will be on a GCN disc and will use GCN memory cards and standard/wavebird GCN controllers to play. This version will be playable on both the GameCube and Wii (due to Wii's backwards compatibility with GCN games).

The other version will be on a Wii disc. The Wii version has a wide-screen option (not found on the GCN version) and will utilize the the Wii remote controller and nunchuck attachment for enhanced play not possible with a GCN controller. The Wii version will only be playable on the Wii console(obviously :lipsrsealed:) and it will most likely use Wii's SD equivlent of memory cards for saving purposes. One thing that is still unclear is whether or not you can also use GCN controllers or the Wii classic controller attachment to play the game traditionally (like with the GCN version) if you don't want to use the remote/nunchuck for the added features.

As for when Wii and both versions of Twilight Princess will be released, Nintendo has yet to say still, but it is expected somewhere between late October and early November of this year.

Lord Malakite
08-16-2006, 08:37 PM
I have a brief update on the Wii version of Twilight Princess. George Harrison of Nintendo has confirmed at Camp Hyrule today in an online chat that the game will not have an option to use a GameCube controller for play. A Wii remote is absolutely required for play.

While this news does finally confirm what many have suspected for a while now with the Wii version in terms of GCN controllers, it does not rule out the possibility of classic controller gameplay entirely. There was no mention as to whether or not the Wii classic controller attachment could be implemented for game play.

Lord Malakite
09-14-2006, 02:12 PM
The release dates for Twilight Princess are now available.

Wii version: November 19, 2006

GCN version: December 11, 2006

As an added note, in the Wii version Link will be right handed to better reflect how the Wii remote & nunchuck are held. There was no mention if this change will also be seen in the GCN version as well.

Lord Malakite
09-20-2006, 10:26 PM
The Link right hand/left hand thing has been explained in better detail now by Miyamoto. Nintendo is using a cheap mirroring technique to make Link right handed in the Wii version. In the GCN version Link will remain left handed.

I should also point out that this mirroring effect will not only affect Link, it should also affect everything else in the game. Doors on the right wall of a dungeon room in the GCN version will be on the left wall in the Wii version, etc. To play through both the GCN and Wii version of Twilight Princess will almost be like playing the 1st quest and 2nd quest of the original NES Zelda or both regular and Master Quest versions of Ocarina of Time. :D

Rogue II
11-07-2006, 02:12 PM
I heard on G4TV that the new Zelda game will take around 70 hours to complete.

Banthaholic
11-20-2006, 11:37 PM
I've logged on a few hours so far, just turned into a wof, and up to this point the game is outstanding. The graphics are what you'd expect. Their are puzzles to solve already, and some more of the same adventure that has made Zelda my favorite title on any of the platforms. Play control is interesting. Using the slingshot is alot nicer, though the sword action is taking a bit of getting used to instead of hitting the b button or whatever, but it's fun. Battling the overworld enemies has never been fun. In the past I would just kill them and move on, now it's like an art form as I toy around with them and master my attacks. I haven't had this much fun since Ocarina came out.

Lord Malakite
11-21-2006, 02:09 AM
I've had my Wii copy since Saturday. I can't do much with it though without the @#!?@/! Wii itself. :D

I'm still debating on getting the GCN version or not. :sleeping: I know its kind of stupid with already owning the Wii version but I'm currious to compare the two side by side (wide screen vs. full screen, Wiimote/nunchuk vs. GCN controller, lefty Link/normal world vs. righty Link/mirrored world).

That plus I own all 4 other Zelda games for the GCN (Four Sword Adventures, Collector's Edition, Ocarina of Time/Master Quest, Wind Waker). My GCN collection would feel oddly empty not to get the GCN version of Twilight Princess as well if that makes any sense. :sad: