PDA

View Full Version : Land of the Dead

James Boba Fettfield
05-12-2004, 02:06 AM
Woo...

If all is true, then today is truly the day of the dead.

Zombies are in. That's as far as Hollywood is concerned. Dawn of the Dead's success helped. Before that, Resident Evil lent a guiding hand too. Lions Gate is at work on developing a script called Flight of the Dead. Screen Gems has Resident Evil: Apocalypse opening this Fall. And, as we all know, George A. Romero is in the early stages of a project entitled Diamond Dead while he attempts to stir up interesting in his fourth Dead film Dead Reckoning.

Well we've got a status report on both, actually.

Ridley and Tony Scott's Scott Free Productions recently climbed aboard Diamond Dead to back up the rock 'n roll-themed project. Nothing new there. According to a source (who claims this has appeared in the trades too), however, Fox Searchlight has picked up Diamond Dead for development. Searchlight ushered 28 Days Later onto U.S. shores last year.

But here's the big rumor that I'm, at the moment, trying to confirm:

Fox has greenlit Dead Reckoning. That's what Horror-Web's "reliable source" has told them adding that location scouting is underway.

We've got a few contacts of our own within Fox's walls and we're just waiting for word from them on this. Keep checking this page, as it'll probably be updated very soon!

**Updated**

Rue Morgue Managing Editor Jen Vuckovic has spoken to Romero who says he is "very close" to working out a deal with Fox and Scott Free on both Night of the Living Dead: Dead Reckoning and Diamond Dead.

Night of the Living Dead: Dead Reckoning? I can live with that title.

http://www.creature-corner.com/news4/may11deadreckoning.php3

Please be true, please be true, please be true. :dead:

2-1B
05-12-2004, 03:19 AM
Hooray ! ! ! :) :) :)

In a world of hackjobs like 28 Days Later and the Dawn remake (even though I liked it overall), it's a damn shame that the master, George F'n Romero, was not given a green light years ago.

Might Savini be attached in the near future ? I sure hope so !

James Boba Fettfield
05-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Yeah. (except for that 28 Days Later comment ;) )

Now to await for Guyute's and Hellboy's posts.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-12-2004, 11:44 AM
WOOHOO!! This is fantastic news!!!! It's about time Romero got some love and was given the greenlight. I'm very anxious to see what he has in store after such a long drought of Romero zombie deliciousness. and yeah, i enjoyed "28 days later" as well, so check your step, Caesar :crazed:

2-1B
05-13-2004, 02:27 AM
Darn it Jaymz, that 28 Days slam was intended for Guyote - I was hoping you wouldn't jump on it before he got here. :rolleyes:

:crazed:

Still, my point is the same: let's say Dawn '04 and 28 Days were the 2 greatest movies in the past decade: there's still no reason that Romero can't get a gig when those other films are being made. :)

James Boba Fettfield
05-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Interesting thing I learned today form fangoria's forums: George Romero directed an OJ Simpson film in 1974. Juice on the loose . . .

Hellboy
05-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Oh man this is great news if it holds true. I just hope Fox allows Romero to have total creative control over the film if a deal is made. This has been a long time coming and you know Tom :beard: Savini will be a part of it.

Love or hate "28 days later" (as you all know I love it) it's success is probably the biggest reason we're seeing this amount of interest in the zombie genre so you've gotta give it some credit. Don't worry Guyute, if Caesar makes a move, I got yer back. :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-13-2004, 01:10 AM
Back to Dirt
George Romero talks LAND OF THE DEAD and DIAMOND DEAD
Posted By G. Cameron Romero on 2004-07-09 17:46:28

July 9:

After years of little activity, George A. Romero is suddenly busier than a flesh-eating ghoul in a shopping mall. Two film projects—the rock-and-roll horror film DIAMOND DEAD and his fourth official entry in his classic zombie series, LAND OF THE DEAD–are now closer to reality than ever before. In fact, after so many false starts and unrealized projects, Romero is now dealing with a different sort of issue. “I’m suddenly faced with a problem of both films having financing, and I believe LAND OF THE DEAD is going to go first, since that deal is basically complete. But I love DIAMOND DEAD, and I hope the money people will wait for me, instead of trying to find someone else to do it.”

Both movies have independent financing, although Romero says that LAND OF THE DEAD (formerly DEAD RECKONING) has a big-name producer behind it. “I can’t say who it is yet, but it’s a major deal,” the filmmaker says. “I hope they leave us alone and don’t want to ‘Hollywood-ize’ it too much, or spend too much money, but those are battles yet to be fought.”

Romero does acknowledge, however, that there’s a very good chance that the initial release version of LAND OF THE DEAD will not have the same freedoms as his original, unrated DAWN OF THE DEAD and DAY OF THE DEAD. “The producers want major distribution, so I’m sure that the first release version, in this country anyway, will have to be R-rated. I don’t think they’ll want to go NC-17. But they’re gonna let me shoot the film the way I want to, and they’ll let me do the cutbacks for release. Hopefully the fans will still show up, and then see the [unrated] edition later on video.”

The director hopes to begin production on LAND OF THE DEAD in October, with KNB already bidding on the FX work, and Romero says the project is “definitely moving full speed ahead.” He’d love to begin work on DIAMOND DEAD immediately afterward, possibly in the spring; the project’s website can be accessed here. A third film—Romero’s adaptation of Stephen King’s THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON, is waiting in the wings and could also roll by mid-2005, and the director will executive-produce a Paramount remake of his 1973 film THE CRAZIES, being scripted by Scott (TEXAS CHAINSAW) Kosar. While juggling all these projects could be stressful to some, Romero is perfectly happy: “It’s nice to know that I might be working! I’ve been sitting on my *** for too long. But, yeah, things look really good right now.” —Don Kaye

Can i get a woo woooooooooooo?!?!?!?! I cannot WAIT to get Land of the Dead going. He says, "hopefully the fans will still show up" are you kidding me, George?!? We've been WAITING for this flick for nearly 20 freakin' years..well, not as long for me as when DOTD came out, i was a little zombie tyke waiting to blossom, but still, this is awesome!!!!!!

I now await for the only other zombie freaks to rejoice with.
Moment of silence for JBFF and his lack of internet this summer. :crazed:
cheers!! :D

2-1B
07-13-2004, 04:20 AM
I'll show up. No doubts there.

Hellboy
07-13-2004, 05:43 PM
"Land of the Dead" huh? I think "Dead Reckoning" sounded better but regardless of the title change you better believe I'll be there. Nice to see the project moving ahead full steam. :cool:

It'll be interseting to see how the remake of "The Crazies" is handled and who will end up in the directors chair. :neutral:

Beast
07-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Well, Variety is saying it's a go now also. So it seems to be a sure thing, as Variety is never wrong unless there's a major catastrophe that stops the movie's production. Here's te news from Variety, via Creature Corner. :)

Wow. Reading about George Romero in Variety is cool enough as it is, but reading about George Romero directing a new Dead film in Variety is about as cool as it can get.

I'll explain; a lot of news comes out on this here 'net and floats around for a long time before either disappearing or coming to fruition. However, if something is reported in Variety, it's most likely going to happen at some point, as Variety is a well-respected magazine that generally doesn't report without all the facts. So sure, reading about Land of the Dead on Fangoria's site is cool, but to see it in Variety...just makes it seem that much more real.

It seems the film doesn't have any distro yet (i.e., no studio), but it's being produced by Atmosphere chairman-CEO Mark Canton and president Bernie Goldmann, along with Romero's partner Peter Grunwald of Romero Grunwald Prods. The budget will be somewhere in the teens, which is the most Romero's had to work with yet. Filming is set to start in either Winipeg or Pittsburgh this October, and they will be working from Romero's script.

Land of the Dead (formerly Dead Reckoning, formerly Twilight of the Dead, formerly...) takes place many years after the events of Day, with humanity going back to an almost normal existence, albeit inside giant fortified skyscrapers while the dead continue to roam terra firma.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
07-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Well AICN has the first exclusive interview with the man himself George Romero regarding the upcoming Land of the Dead. I'm so excited for this movie I can hardly contain myself, this is a HUGE interview and filled with lots of good informative stuff, check it out here. :D George is the man!! :cool:

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=17989

2-1B
07-21-2004, 12:56 AM
You can say that again, Hellboy ! Here, I'll do it for you: :D

George is the man!!

Hellboy
08-15-2004, 01:06 AM
This was reported over at The Horror Channel's website

Sources have told The Horror Channel that Dennis Hopper has landed a starring role in George A. Romero's Land of the Dead, the upcoming and long-awaited fourth film in the director's classic horror series.

The film, reportedly budgeted at $16 million, is tentatively scheduled to begin shooting this fall.

Hopper's casting represents the first "name" actor to be cast in Romero's Dead films, which have previously featured relative unknowns. More casting announcements are expected to come in the weeks ahead.

Keep checking back with The Horror Channel for more Dead updates including news from Land of the Dead effects man Greg Nicotero!

http://www.horrorchannel.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=111&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

I really like this casting choice. Hopper should fit perfectly into this installment. :D

2-1B
08-15-2004, 03:00 AM
DOG WILL HUNT (zombies, that is. :D )

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-31-2004, 11:47 AM
Here is a small blip about Tom Savini's involvement in the film, from BD:

The Horror Channel writes, "During a panel at this past weekend's Rue Morgue Festival of Fear convention up in Toronto, Tom Savini gave the crowd quite an earful in terms of what his role in the 4th installment of Romero's legendary film series could be.

Picture this if you will: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, one of the last "living strongholds" on the planet, is completely cordoned off. Droves of hungry zombies are clawing at the city?s borders, desperately trying to get a taste of the only "fresh meat" around. The city is patrolled and protected by a tank called "The Dead Reckoning." Every tank needs a crew. Every crew needs a leader. Enter Tom Savini.

Savini is in negotiations to co-star in the film as one of the leaders of a salvage team that goes out in the Dead Reckoning to search for supplies and/or survivors. It gets more interesting than this though, folks. Savini mentioned that one of George's plans for him is to run into and kill Blades, his original character from Dawn. As you can imagine, Blades is pretty much the worse for wear and will have a bloated look as he met his "earthly" demise in a fountain some time ago.

According to Ryan's report, nothing is official right now; this is just what's on the table. George has stated that no one has officially signed onto the project as of yet except for KNB, which will be providing what I am sure will be the best Dead FX ever. Romero has also stated that he's very interested in having Asia Argento onboard for the project, but again, nothing is for sure."

cheers!! :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-10-2004, 10:23 AM
BD has posted news about a release date!

Here it is folks, the date that will mark the end of George Romero's long overdue zombie journey with 'Land of the Dead', the fourth and final of his planned sequels. The official release date for the now dubbed George Romero's Land of the Dead is October 21st, 2005! Following 'Night of the Living Dead,' 'Dawn of the Dead' and 'Day of the Dead,' 'Land' begins when the zombies having taken over the world and those left alive are confined to a walled-in city that keeps out the corpse corps. Anarchy rules the streets, with the wealthy insulated and living in fortified skyscrapers. Drama revolves around a group of scavengers who must thwart an attempt to overthrow the city while the dead are evolving from brainless slow-moving creatures into more advanced creatures.

can i get a wooooo woooooooo?!! I can't wait for this flick!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-25-2004, 12:17 PM
More cast has been announced and i'm DELIGHTED.

Simon Baker ('Ring 2'), John Leguizamo ('Spawn') and Dennis Hopper ('Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2') are joining Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg ('Shaun of the Dead') in The Land of the Dead, George A. Romero's return to the zombie genre that he made famous, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Asia Argento and Robert Joy also are joining the cast. Written and directed by Romero, the story takes place in a world overrun by zombies where the survivors live in a walled city. While the zombies are evolving, certain factions seek to overthrow the city. The film is meant to complement Romero's earlier zombie movies, "Night of the Living Dead," "Dawn of the Dead" and "Day of the Dead," and also start a new line of zombie films. Universal Pictures is distributing domestically and internationally via negative pickup. 'Land' hits theaters October 21st 2005.

a woo wooooooooooo!! I REALLY like the addition of John Leguizamo to the film; i think he's gonna do really well as i've always enjoyed his acting, even in the blasphemous "Spawn" flick. I can't wait for this movie!! :D

2-1B
09-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Johnny Legs is great. I hope that his is a glorious death. :D

I like the evolution idea, it fits in nicely with what we have seen from Bub already. Oh man, what if Bub made a cameo ? I can dream . . .

Hellboy
09-28-2004, 05:08 PM
I like the new casting choices. I guess in the future there are quite a few Euro's living in Pittsburgh. :silly:

I like the evolution idea, it fits in nicely with what we have seen from Bub already. Oh man, what if Bub made a cameo ? I can dream . . .

I can see it now. . . Bub, leader of the zombie separatist movement. :dead: :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
09-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Oh my, Asia... :kiss:

Perhaps someday I can have Dario for a father in law...to dream. :D

Greg Nicotero, I'm excited for him and the KNB boys and cannot wait to see what they do.

I'm still wondering who might be picked to play the lead. Last script synopsis I read said it was an African American part, hopefully they keep that aspect and go with a good, yet lesser known actor to follow in the steps of Ken and Duane.

All in all, I'm glad the movie is being made. I hope this does not become a "Hollywood" film, though. Remember George, fight for what you want in this film and don't give in to any demands by the studio to make the film more hip and appealing to a broader audience. :Ogre:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-26-2004, 03:49 PM
BD has a pic of the infamous vehicle known as, the DEAD RECKONING. Looks very awesome!! enjoy!!

Hellboy
10-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Whoa, now that is what I call an assault vehicle. Looks like something straight out of The Road Warrior. This thing is armed to the teeth too, what with the missle batteries and what looks like a couple of turrets in the back section. This is one Baadaaassss zombie killin machine!! Thanks for posting the pic Guyute.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-15-2004, 06:03 PM
http://www.moviesonline.ca/~macready/LOTDAUG2004.pdf

Here is a link to the Land of the Dead script!! I read about 40 pages and i love it so far. It's AWESOME to see how the zombies have progressed. Almost being human in their actions and dare i say...emotions!!! I'll try knock down the rest of it sometime this week after finals own me. Enjoy it and beware of potty language and adult situations! :crazed:

Hellboy
11-15-2004, 06:41 PM
Hmmm . . . :Ponder: as tempting as it is to read this I think I'm going to try to stay spoiler free as far as the story is concerned. I just wish we didn't have to wait almost a year to see the finished product. :(

James Boba Fettfield
11-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Right click and save target as...

I'm knee deep in reading If on a Winter's Night a Traveler so this script will wait until the week's end. Man, read a nice zombie screenplay or continue reading an Italian post-modernist novel...a tough decision.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Alright, i finished the script the other night and it was AWESOME. I'm giong to be yapping about it, but i'll try to remain as spoiler free, but i am going to talk about some themes, so if you want to be pure, stop HERE.

The story opens up in a small town where things seem to be normal. Two teenage lovers walk hand in hand, a band plays in the park, "Big Daddy", a gas station attendant pumps gas into a car, but as we get closer, we see that things are not right at all..these are in fact, zombies, the undead. We then zoom out to some guerillas/mercenaries who are studying the town in an attempt to get in and get supplies. We see through their binoculars that Big Daddy has taken notice of them, as well as the skyscraper in the distance, part of a now boarded up city where humans now live in a society which the select few find safety in the skyscraper, which i believe was called Fiddlers Green. Suddenly somebody sets off a slew of fireworks and the zombies are distracted. The guerrillas sneak nito town and this is where we meet most of the cast we're going to be with for most of the film. They take the supplies they need, losing a few men in the process and proceed back to Fiddlers Green....when Big Daddy notices their escape, through moans and motions, gathers the crowds of undead to follow him on a mission to break into Fiddlers Green and feast upon the members....

The story itself is just awesome, something Romero could only do. Through the basic evolutionary process, the zombies have seemed to evolve into almost a human like state where they try to do human like things, such as we see in the opening sequence of the town. the "Lead zombie" in the film is Big Daddy, who seems to lead the zombie "revolt" into the fortified human town and there are several cases of him trying to communicate with other zombies, through moaning, hand motions and hand movements. We see him use weapons, after studying them for some time and trying to teach other zombies to use basic weapons as well. The other story is the group of hte Dead Reckoning, one man saves a woman and is thrown in jail for it while the other tries to buy his way into Fiddlers Green, but is denied by the man in charge. In retribution, he steals the Reckoning and threatens to blow up the city. The man in charge then releases the dude who was locked up to catch him. By this time, the zombies are amassing what Romero calls "an army of the dead" and they're trying to penetrate the city. I won't say anything else except there is a scene where dozens upon dozens of zombies walk under a lake and emerge on the other side in the moonlight. I heard this was recently shot and it sounds fabulous.

anyway, for those skeptical few, here is a pic i found on the BD boards with two zombie lovers holding hands. enjoy!

James Boba Fettfield
11-17-2004, 08:10 AM
That screenplay was nice. A few parts left me wondering how good of an idea it was to be included, but overall a good addition to the trilogy. That Big Daddy character has me thinking about Bub and what he may be doing during this time. This story had me feeling good about the zombies.

Hellboy
11-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Well even though I'm trying to stay spoiler free for the most part I did read your summary Guyute and man does this film sound awesome. The way the zombies are evolving seems somewhat similar to what we're seeing in the upcoming Resident Evil 4 video game. Obviously I don't know that for sure since the game isn't out yet but based on what I've seen from the game so far it sounds somewhat similar. :Ogre:

Dr Zoltar
11-23-2004, 05:08 PM
Buggers! The link no longer works. Anyone willing to email me the script?

RooJay
11-30-2004, 02:06 AM
For anyone interested there's an awesome new book out now called The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead! It's written like an actual, honest-to-goodness survival guide that assumes that zombies are a real and looming threat! It's quite an entertaining read and really makes sense (it'd make a great on-set reference for any Hollywood types making a zombie movie!) I started a thread about it here: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=361060#post361060

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-02-2004, 01:56 AM
Dr. Zoltar- I have a doc format of the script. Drop me your e-mail addy and i can mail it to ya. Maybe JBFF saved the PDF, i dunno. We'll have to see.

An official cast list has been posted. Granted there are SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS, but i'm going to mention my feelings on one particular character, so if you don't want to know, SKIP THIS POST AS IT CONTAINS SPOILERS.

still here? Good, i knew you would. :crazed:
Riley - Simon Baker
Charlie - Robert Joy
Cholo - John Leguizamo
Kaufmann - Dennis Hopper
Pillsbury - Pedro Miguel Arce
Teahouse - Krista Bridges
Big Daddy - Eugene Clark
The Butcher - Boyd Banks
Gus - Jason Gautreau
Barrett - Christopher Russell
Brubaker - Alan Van Sprang
Slack - Asia Argento
Foxy - Tony Nappo
Anchor - Tony Munch
Mouse - Max McCabe
Chihuahua - Phil Fondacaro
Manolete - Sasha Roiz
Pretty Boy - Joanne Boland
Blade (Zombie) - Tom Savini
Teenage Zombie Boy - Michael Belisaro
Zombie Cameo - Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright (yes, the "Shaun of the Dead" guys)
Zombie - Boyd Banks
Zombie - Jennifer Baxter
Zombie - Grant Hayes

I love the cameos by Simon "Shaun" Pegg and the director of "Shaun", Edgar Wright. I love the idea of seeing Pegg in zombie form. Moving on, BLADES RETURNING AS A ZOMBIE. How freakin' awesomely clever ungodly great is that?!!? I guess this answers the idea of what did happen to Blade! Sure, we see him get capped and plunge down to the mall floor below, but we never saw him get devoured or stumble outside as a zombie. I read somewhere that Savini is in the film as a random mercenary who actually kills Blades himself. I might cry with geek giddiness if that happens. :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
12-02-2004, 08:02 AM
I still have it saved as a PDF. If Dr. Z wants it as a PDF instead of as a .doc, let me know. Here, I'll send him a PM about it, that would be the quickest way to do so.

2-1B
12-04-2004, 03:21 AM
I wonder if the Zombiefied Blade will be so evolved as to care about grooming his moustache ? lol

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-07-2004, 09:17 AM
I bring you a set report from "Land of the Dead" that was posted by somebody over at ole' BD, so thanks to them for the info.

"Prince Chawmin' here with greetings from Hollywood North on the set of the new zombie film "Land of the Dead". For a little background "Land of the Dead" takes place in a post-apocalyptic Earth where zombies control 75% of the earth and the humans live in some kind of fortresses. The film stars Simon Baker, Asia Argento and of course John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper just to name a few. (Well and a ton of bad *** Canadians hell bent on eating brains... well there's no hockey so what else do we have to do right?)

Two weeks ago I had the pleasure of being an extra during a Zombie vs Human cage match. Sound wacky? Sound Cheesy? NAH! They've gone all out for this one gang.. they've brought in stunt coordinator Matt Birman from such classics as "Blues Brothers 2000", "The Tuxedo" and last but not least the Olsen Twins classic "New York Minute".

That aside here's the lowdown on the shoot. Well... someone must be an insomniac because for some reason they decided to shoot at night even though we're shooting indoors so the extras had a call time of around 3:00pm and we'd go until around 6:00am each of the days. Why am I mentioning this? Well you'll find out in a minute or two more of reading. Anyways... we're in a bar called Chihuahua's Dog House (Chihuahua is played by the always cool Phil Fondacaro) and there is a fight between Asia Argento and two zombies. The set is a cross between a bar and a carnival. We have 4 strippers in windows, a bar full of patrons, a SPAM stand, carnival games including Zombie Paintball (no headshots!!) and a "Have your picture taken with a Zombie" booth.

Two guys throw Asia into the cage and all hell breaks loose, our Canadian hero (I assume the character is Canadian as he's got a Canadian Flag on his jacket sleeve) burst through the crowd, fires a couple of shots and the crowd scatters. Exciting eh? Well there better be some fine editing in this scene because without it we're gonna be in trouble. The fight scene looked so awkward and forced and didn't really seem to flow at all. Asia even had to stop several times and clarify what she was to do because it didn't make any sense. (and I'm not just talking trash.. I went to film school so I know a little about this not a lot.. but a little) It's hard to explain but I'll try... you have a pull-up bar in your house? Well go hang from it... then try to rotate 360 degrees and kick a zombie while still holding onto the bar. (sound hard? Well neither Asia or her stunt double could do it) perhaps that's where the CGI comes in?

Also on set that day was Simon Pegg (star of Shaun of the Dead) and Edgar Wright (the director of Shaun of the Dead) Pegg was featured as the zombie you could have your picture taken with. Also of note for the traditionalists he was very Romeroesque in his makeup. According to a sign posted just outside of the set they were shooting some behind the scenes footage promo stuff for the "Shaun of the Dead" DVD. There was also a guy with a Mini DV cam following around Pegg & Wright all night doing mini interviews and grabbing footage whenever he could.

On the positive side it was interesting watching Romero work. Unfortunately he was only around the first night and seemed to disappear and wasn't mentioned again. I assume he was off directing a more important scene. Or.. those glasses of his finally got the better of him and he couldn't get himself out of bed.

DVD INFO: Be sure to keep an eye out for a new drinking game once the DVD comes out. I'll do the honor of naming it now if that's ok. It's called "Spot the sleeping extra". Everyone will be watching the footage, fight outtakes, and behind the scenes stuff for all the background extras fast asleep at 5:00am when they are normally at home in their warm beds. You should be able to spot a couple of strippers fast asleep on their couches, fight fans with their heads down on the tables in front of them and a little grey haired old lady fast asleep right when Asia is being charged by a zombie. It was hilarious.. this tiny little woman would be fast asleep the AD's would yell "BACKGROUND ACTION!" and everyone would start to cheer. The ladies head would pop up and she'd start cheering along with everyone else. After the shot was over she'd sit down, settle in and within 2 minutes would be fast asleep again. Needless to say there were quite a few of us watching this woman and not the action in the ring. Luckily none of the AD's seemed to notice so we had hours and hours of fun. Get ready to drink folks, there were over 100 of us there all sleep deprived and cranky.
Yours Truly

Prince Chawmin' "

That fight scene sounds intersting, but I put all my faith in Romero. However, I want my picture taken with a zombified Simon Pegg! That would be awesome! :crazed:

JBFF- be a pal and e-mail me that PDF of the script?!?! por favor!!!! :D

James Boba Fettfield
12-07-2004, 09:37 AM
I tried attaching the PDF file here on the forums, but it was too large.

Anyone else needs it, just send the PM with your email address.

As for that report, very interesting. I love how SPAM is included, a favorite of Roger's. "It has its own key."

James Boba Fettfield
04-12-2005, 06:55 AM
Alert! The movie's release date has been moved to June 24.

That's June 24 of this year, too. Where's a trailer!

Hellboy
04-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Wow, thats surprising. :eek:

I suppose there are two ways of looking at this. Either Universal is so pleased with how the film turned out they felt it had the potential to be a summer blockbuster and bumped it up as a result. Or they rushed the film because they didn't have enough films planned for summer releases and felt this was their best chance at making some money during the most popular season for movies. I guess we'll find out soon enough since the add campaign should be starting up anytime now. I just hope that 2 months is enough time to generate adequate buzz for the film. Can't wait for the trailer. :D

2-1B
04-13-2005, 12:19 AM
I don't want to sound like a downer but I just don't see a Romero film doing well these days . . . ohhhhhhh I have tons of faith that he's making a fantastic picture here and I can't wait to see it - I just don't see his movies making much money in today's market. Sure the Dawn remake did well but look at how slicked up they made it . . . had it mirrored the original Dawn more I don't think it would have done so well.

Am I making any sense ? It's just that most of the people I talk to today don't really have an appreciation for a Dawn or Day and the characters those movies come up with . . . the first thing I hear about Dawn is how outdated the effects are. :rolleyes:

I hope I'm being too cynical ? :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-13-2005, 12:35 AM
I'd be lying if I thought this film was going be a big money earner.

Hellboy
04-13-2005, 01:20 AM
As long as Romero's vision isn't being compromised by this shift in the release date I'm happy with the news.

RooJay
04-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Zombie films are hot right now - the return of The Master will generate plenty of buzz alone. This one's gonna promote itself. In fact, I'm going to predict that this'll end up being Romero's highest grossing film.

darko666
04-14-2005, 06:03 PM
As long as Romero's vision isn't being compromised by this shift in the release date I'm happy with the news.

i think it will remain the same. it would have been nice to see Land of The Dead released in October around halloween, but i won't complain about it being pushed up. it will be one of the best summer movies.

2-1B
04-15-2005, 03:05 AM
Zombie films are hot right now - the return of The Master will generate plenty of buzz alone. This one's gonna promote itself. In fact, I'm going to predict that this'll end up being Romero's highest grossing film.

I sincerely hope you are right. :)

I just don't think that the mass audience sees Romero as The Master. People want flashy, quick paced jumps-a-second stuff with FAST zombies and I don't see the general audience respecting George the way he deserves.

HOWEVER, Roojay, I really hope that I can come back to this thread in a few months and eat my own words. I hope you're right ! :D

RooJay
04-15-2005, 05:41 AM
General audiences don't really know what George Romero is all about. They only know that Zombies = COOL and that Romero = the coolest Zombies. I think you give modern movie audiences too much credit. They'll show up because they're told this kind of thing is what they like right now and they'll end up enjoying it despite themselves.

Also, I think you read too much into this whole fast zombies/slow zombies thing. I don't believe that most people generally care either way; zombies is zombies. I can't honestly say that I believe even for a second that movies like the Dawn of the Dead remake, the Resident Evil flicks, Shaun of the Dead, or any other of the recent crop of zombie movies (and 28 Days Later is not a zombie movie!) would've made any more or less money at the box office if either had gone the opposite of fast or slow zombies than they did. Fact is people like seeing the dead walk - or run, as it were - on the big screen. The whole fast versus slow debate is only an issue for us diehards (and if you've ever considered the fast vs. slow debate, you are a diehard!) It'll do fine!

James Boba Fettfield
04-26-2005, 12:42 AM
According to a report on JoBlo, the trailer for this one will be attached to the new XXX film opening this Friday.

2-1B
04-26-2005, 01:11 AM
Hmm . . . I'll hope to watch it online since I'm not seeing the new xXx . . . the first one was bad enough. :D

Hellboy
04-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah I've gotta agree with ya there Caesar. As much as I want to see this trailer its not worth sitting through another XXX movie. :D

I'm still surprised that Universal doesn't have an official site up yet. :confused:

2-1B
04-27-2005, 02:03 AM
Hmmm . . . . they better not submarine this ! ! !

Hey I was reading Entertainment Weekly and they had a pic from the movie with a blurb from Romero, they asked if he was flattered by the ripoffs of 28 Days Later and Dawn 2004 and he said No, he was upset that nobody called him up to make a picture.

Well said, George ! ! ! :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-27-2005, 11:04 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=trailer&id=1808405693&intl=us

Trailer is up. JBFF let me know as he was alerted by ole' Darth Quack.

I LOVE it. Only gripe is the RE score they inserted with it, but besides that: freakin' awesome!! :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Not a fan of the rock music, either. Hopefully it only finds its way into the trailer and nothing more.

Certainly did love the beginning using the three previous films and some soundbites from them. Dr. Frankenstein!

Great trailer . . . creep me out.

Hellboy
04-28-2005, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the link Guyute. :D

Yeah, looks great. The intro gave me goosebumps, I can't believe its less than 2 months away now.

Kidhuman
04-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Loved the trailer, thanks Guyute.

2-1B
04-28-2005, 03:20 AM
Whoa ! That was a real treat. :D

What's up with Hopper using the word Zombie ? :crazed:

Nice tips of the cap to Dawn and especially Day, I'm glad Day got it's due ! ! ! Nice to hear Doc Logan's voice.

James Boba Fettfield
04-29-2005, 01:35 AM
According to George's official site, if this one does well enough then he will be given the go ahead to do another dead film. Guess George still has some ideas for this series.

2-1B
04-29-2005, 02:13 AM
Interesting, I wonder how far he will take it with zombie evolution ? Maybe there's a happy ending somewhere in all of this ? I doubt it. :D

To be honest with you guys, I didn't even notice the music the first time watching the trailer, I was just way too into the visuals. :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Alright kids, i present to you a link to a picture that features the zombie incarnation one of the best characters in the DOTD. He's a machete wielding, mustache combing looter. Don't click if you don't wanna see it. :D

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/gallery/photodir2.php?image=459/2.jpg

AWESOME.

2-1B
05-06-2005, 01:06 PM
SPLENDID ! I'm glad to see his moustache is properly groomed. :crazed:

darko666
05-06-2005, 10:40 PM
the poster is now online. any thoughts? it's good, has a sort of classic "dead" feel to it, but mixed with the new "dead" in it.

http://www.horrorchannel.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=515&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Hellboy
05-07-2005, 04:29 PM
The poster looks nice but for some reason it reminds me more of 'Return of the Living Dead' than Romero's films, probably the radioactive green look.

That pic of Savini is great. So is he still playing dual roles in this film? I'm assuming that picture is of Blades but then again if this new character hes playing eventually becomes a zombie I suppose it could be him. I would think Blades would look a bit more zombified than that considering what he went through in Dawn though. Either way I'm loving the nostalgic touches George seems to be incorporating, I'm sure there will be many more. :D

RooJay
05-07-2005, 07:14 PM
While I'm sure this movie is gonna be great - it's going to be awesome to finally see another new Romero zombie film - I have to admit that I'm definitely not a fan of the 'smart' zombies. It was funny in the Return of the Living Dead flicks, and it was pretty neat even in Day of the Dead, but it's always just seemed so...untraditional and I'll even go so far as to say that I find them far less interesting and a whole lot less frightening to me. The thing that I've always found most frightening about zombies was the notion of being devoured by something so impulsively ravenous (if I'm expressing myself correctly). I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this since so many of my fellow zombie fans count it as their favorite, but Day of the Dead is my least favorite of Romero's films and I probably wouldn't even count it among my overall favorites. Don't get me wrong, Bud is cool and all, the effects were awesome, and I do like 'Day'. That kind of stuff's just not what I treasure in zombie films.

2-1B
05-07-2005, 09:59 PM
HERETIC ! ! ! BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN HIM ! :evil: :mad: :evil:

Just kidding, Rooj. :)

Well, of course I can't agree with you about Day but I still see what you are saying.
I'm holding out to see just how smart these things are going to be. I love Bub, too, but do I want to see a whole fleet of him romping around ? Maybe not . . . exactly how smart are these Land zombies gonna be ? I'm somewhat spoiler free so I don't know everything about it yet.

I do agree, however, about the Return films: yeah it's cool there but I don't want THAT level of intelligence in a Romero film. I'm hoping it doesn't go anywhere near that far ?

James Boba Fettfield
05-07-2005, 10:40 PM
From the screenplay I read, it's not an army of intelligent Bub ghouls, but rather they follow by the example of another.

There's one called Big Daddy who sort of takes on the intelligent role that Bub had.

And really, the cemetary zombie from Night shows these things were not as dumb as we may think.

2-1B
05-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Hey, I'm cool with that. :)

Hellboy
06-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Well the official site is finally up. Just 21 days before the film's release.

http://www.landofthedeadmovie.net/

2-1B
06-04-2005, 03:03 AM
3 weeks, I can't wait ! ! ! :)

I'm gonna take it down as part of an afternoon doubleheader with Revenge of the Sith. That's gonna be a fun day at the theater, I hope it's all rainy and gloomy outside when I go to see these. lol

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Alright my friends, this is THE definitive trailer we all wanted.

http://www.lotdunseen.com/

It's the international trailer, which is a lot of the regular trailer, but with LOADS AND LOADS of delicious zombie gore. I warn you, this trailer is very bloody, gory and graphic. On that note, enjoy! :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-21-2005, 10:24 AM
alright, two things.

1. The game on the site, "Loot n' Shoot" is now up and it's pretty fun. The PC i'm on now sucks, so it was slow, but it should be alright for everybody else.

2. A picture of "Shaun of the Dead" star Simon Pegg's cameo from LOTD is online. Now, many of you know it's a zombie cameo and before I provide the link, i'll tell you that it's not really a "spoiler" it's just a picture of him in zombie form that pays homage to a certain unlikely hero from the original Dead Trilogy. Aka: he looks nearly dead on from this certain character. with that, I loved it. http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/002436.html

cheers! :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Alright, i caught this movie tonight and believe you me, my expecations were pretty high. and to me, they were all BLOWN AWAY. I loved this movie, a lot. So so much. I loved the opening scene where the undead were attempting to live almost a "normal" existence, that was just nuts and perfect in a way only Romero could do. The plot was pretty good and some folks have questions about why they would run commercials for Fiddlers Green as who could see them, but once again, it just goes back to one of the themes in the film about this false sense of security. You see images of people having fun in a place, and being secure and you live there, you're going to have that warm fuzzy feeling in your stomach.......until a zombie rips it off. The gore in this movie was FANTASTIC. A lot of the audience members were just cringing and loving it the whole time. I think my favorite zombie incident was the "headless" one that flipped its body and the neck comes flying up, hanging by a shred and he starts munching away. That COMPLETELY caught me off guard.

I know some folks said the intelligence of the zombies was too fast, but to this I disagree. We see zombies using weapons and having common sense in NOTLD (the rock in the window of the car, the zombies using weapons to get into the house), DOTD (the one zombie who carries the gun for a bit and then switches them out at the end), Day, (um, BUB!) Thsi one seems spot on for what could lay ahead for the undead as basically they're still thinking in a primative way and all primative creatures evolve!! I also loved Eugene Clark's performance as Big Daddy as he brought a lot to the role through his actions, eyes and moans.

I also loved the underlying tones of the flick: class struggle, exploitation of the masses, etc. Lots of political overtones and the audience loved it when Hopper says, "I won't negotiate with terrorists." Awesome!!

Random geek thoughts: I nearly wet myself when i saw Blades in zombie form, using the machete and Simon Pegg made up to resemble Bub and Edgar Wright, director of "Shaun of the Dead", in their cameos. Fantastic film and I can't wait to see it again!! Well done, George, bravo!!!

Hellboy
06-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Well I saw the film today and it was pretty good, it's really more of an action picture than a horror film though.

There were some really cool elements to this film. All of George's trademark social and political parallels are there. I loved the Dead Reckoning, that was one kick arse ride. It's arsenal was extremely formidable and many of the weapons used by the leads were pretty cool as well, especially Cholo's spear-gun. Seeing Blades doing some slice-n-dice action was cool, I cheered. :crazed: The whole premise is well concieved and I really bought into the setting. The scene where the zombies cross the river looked amazing and I loved the overhead shots of the city as the zombies spread through it like ants.

Now onto the zombies. For the most part the zombie effects were really cool but some of the CG stuff didn't work to well. I'd say this is easily the least goriest of the four Dead films but make no mistake it stilll has some scenes that will make you wince. I guess it just goes to show you filmmakers can't get away with as much as they did a few decades ago. Hopefully the unrated DVD will give us more to chew on. :Ogre: Initially I liked the idea of the zombies evolving but in the end I think it weakened their screen presence making them somewhat less than scary and a little to comical. Unlike all 3 other Dead films I never had that uneasy feeling that something could jump out at any moment and none of the zombie encounters really creeped me out. I may take some flack for this but I have to admit, I didn't really care for Big Daddy either.

Overall I'm not quite sure it lived up to my expectations or it's potential for that matter. The characters could have been developed better which I thought was strange coming from Romero since he usually has a nack for nailing such things. As a result I wasn't really invested in the well being of the main characters. None of the acting was standout work either. Legiuzamo did well with what he had but Asia Argento unfortunately didn't bring a heck of a lot to her role. I liked Simon Baker as the lead but again I wanted to know more about these characters than what was given to us.

Don't get me wrong I liked this movie, quite a bit actually. I just think it could have been so much more.

Bren2d2
06-25-2005, 09:52 PM
I was very disipointed in this film. It didn't meet my expectations sorry to say. Now I am not saying this movie sucked, it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

SPOILERS
What bothered me the most was the fireworks at the end. What the hell? They make it sound like they were triumphant over the zombies when in fact they lost their city to them. I understand the zombies "just wanted a place of their own" but please. To me this was totally not necessary.

JON9000
06-26-2005, 12:07 AM
All of this publicity has convinced me to finally see Night of the Living Dead. Never saw it before, thought it would be cheesy. I thought TCM would be cheesy too, though, and I thought it was very effective and nightmarish.

I will let you know what I think seeing it with fresh 2005 eyes. If you care to know! ;) Probably watch it tomorrow.

2-1B
06-26-2005, 04:19 AM
What an incredible movie, a real treat that exceeded my high expectations and a worthy entry in the series . . . easily my second favorite movie of 2005 and they were both made by men named George. ;)

There was so much to love, I'll probably begin with the fantastic performance by Johnny Legs, what an actor. This guy continues to amaze me in roles I see him in, roles I can't picture him playing but he does it anyway. I loved him here. He walked that line between villain and guy-I-am-sympathetic towards perfectly.

Hopper was great, a real sleaze bag :D and I thought his character was pretty well done. Fiddler's Green was a great, great concept to go with and I loved those commercials because it gave the "lesser" people of the city something to "work towards" if you know what I mean, just great commentary by George. Class, Race, Friendship, all of those areas were well represented and lived up to the standard set by the last 3 movies.

Simon Baker, how cool were you ? I really took to this guy and early on I felt like he was one of those guys I would want to roll with when the Zombie Apocalypse happens, so in that sense I thought he was incredibly well done. Not as iconic as say, a Peter or Roger from Dawn but come on, this guy was awesome !

Asia Argento, she was alright. Not the greatest but I think she gets overhyped anyway so I'll say her job was adequate. :)

I liked Charlie and thought he was a great friend to Riley. It's been bugging me as to where I've seen that actor before so I just looked it up, he was in "Fallen."

Blades was a great Savini cameo but if the "Walkers" were trying to find a function from their old lives, why didn't he bust out a comb and tidy up that 'stache ? lol lol lol

Did I miss the story on why Savini wasn't involved with the effects ? I knew that going in, and as expected KNB did a great job but I can't remember why Savini wasn't involved. :confused:

I thought the CG was great, they did a nice job of blending the animation with the old school style of gore . . . when I see it again (SOON :D ) I might be able to pick out some CG shots but right now I can't think of anything that stuck out to me.

And hell yeah, the opening shots of the dating zombies and ESPECIALLY that band playing under the gazebo (honk . . . honk . . . lol ) were all great, and for some reason I thought that softball chick player was cool. Maybe it was because she was missing part of her mouth ? :D

Big Daddy was awesome, way better than I was hoping for. I thought the name sounded corny at first but I saw it on his work clothes and it was just so natural, it didn't feel forced or anything like that with their 'evolution.'

Superb. :)

2-1B
06-30-2005, 04:22 AM
7 pages of lead up to this movie, here it is now and where the hell is the discussion ? :(

And where is Jaymz Boba with HIS review ? Yeah, yeah, I know he's away from school for the summer - TOO BAD :mad: he owes it to us to share in this movie. :(

Anybody else feel creeped out when Big Daddy crushed that zombie head to put it out of its misery ? :D

Dennis Hopper sneak attacking that employee of his and shooting him told a whole story in 3 seconds . . . and it showed that he was 100 times more vicious and disgusting than any of those "things" outside.

Damnit I loved this movie and I can't wait to go see it again this weekend ! :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-01-2005, 03:29 AM
Caesar- man, i think the discussion is low because this movie isn't doing so hot at the BO. I saw that yesterday it sipped down to #9 and there isn't much of a chance it'll creep up in the top 10 for this weekend. It just has far too much competition with "War of the Worlds", "Bewitched", and "Batman Begins." while i was happy to see it earlier, i'm thinking it was a bad idea to release the flick around this time in June. I just hope it isn't seen as a "flop" though. It has made about 13 mill and i'm sure DVD sales will rock. I still plan on seeing it about 2-3 more times, maybe tomorrow if i have the time on my day off, but DEFINATELY on tuesday. :D

2-1B
07-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Guyote, I hear ya good buddy. :) A few clarifications:

I wasn't talking about a lack of discussion from people who decided to not go and see the movie thus resulting in poor box office - I was talking about the very same posters right here who pushed this thread to 7 pages before it came out, yet none of us are really talking about it.

Now as for the box office. :( A few pages back I disagreed with Roojay about how well the movie would do financially. I really wish I was wrong when I posted : :(

I sincerely hope you are right. :)

I just don't think that the mass audience sees Romero as The Master. People want flashy, quick paced jumps-a-second stuff with FAST zombies and I don't see the general audience respecting George the way he deserves.

HOWEVER, Roojay, I really hope that I can come back to this thread in a few months and eat my own words. I hope you're right ! :D

I really wish I could eat those words. :(

Hellboy
07-05-2005, 07:46 PM
One thing that kind of bothered me was the way the film ended just as it seemed to be getting started. I guess you could say the film's climax was the Dead Reckoning opening fire on the zombies devouring that group of survivors but didn't it leave you guys wanting more? Another 20-30 minutes of Riley and crew making their way out of the city and possibly a few more random zombie encounters would have been nice.

I suppose me wanting more is a sign that I liked what I had seen but this film's running time was far far to short. 93 minutes for a movie that fans like myself have waited over 20 years to see isn't enough to completely satisfy my thirst for zombies.

I know my comments have probably sounded negative for the most part but make no mistake I really enjoyed this movie. Its definitely one of the best movies currently playing in theaters and I'm planning on seeing it again before weeks end.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-05-2005, 08:30 PM
I saw viewing #2 today. Still loved it immensely.

HB- I hear ya on the length of the flick. It seem to end far too fast, but for me at least, It didn't take anything away from the flick. While I wish it would've been another 45 minutes of characters, zombies and carnage, it doesn't add anything negative to the flick for me (not saying it does for you!! Just saying, ya know?) I still had to chuckle at the Tamborine Zombie and the zombie couple. Romero sure had fun with this!!

I think the flick has hit the 17 million mark in grosses, so i think they've now broken even, which is good for another Romero film. I highly doubt that Universal will blame the movie though: it just opened at the wrong damn time between summer blockbusters. I'm sure international releases and the DVD release will convince them to give romero another flick. I'd LOVE to see another film with Riley and the gang heading up North, but I doubt Romero would give us a continuation with the characters as he hasn't done it yet. Fantastic flick! :crazed:

Hellboy
07-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Yeah I hear what you're saying Guyute. I think after seeing it a second time It'll be a little easier for me to just except the film for what it is, a damn good, albeit short, zombie flick. :D

2-1B
07-06-2005, 02:08 AM
Of course it left me wanting more ! Just as Dawn of the Dead '78 leaves me wanting more when they fly off in the bird, I want to see them keep on going. :D

The original Night didn't leave me wanting more since it was so damn depressing, but Savini's remake left me wanting more because Barbra could have gone off and hunted as well (which she did in that one comic book I started a thread on last year). Day didn't really leave me wanting more since we DO see them on the island (dream or no dream, I say it wasn't a dream ! lol ) Well, I take that back because I would have loved to follow Bub around for more adventures. lol

Getting back to Land, I saw it on July 4th for my second viewing (loved the fireworks in light of the 4th :D ) and it was even better the second time ! I loved it so much that now I want to go for a 3rd but my weekends are super busy these next 4 or 5 weeks so I don't know if I'll make it again. I'd love to catch a double header with The Devil's Rejects but we'll see.

Romero still has it. Period. The casting decisions were top notch and you know what, I was a little indifferent to Asia after the first showing but I loved her more the second time. Riley is still just a great, great, straight-ahead-good guy and his chemistry with Charlie is awesome. Speaking of Charlie, what a great friend ! How freaking cool was it that he trained his rifle on the guy who shot at Riley and dropped him from a low line of sight. The first time I saw it I thought No Way, he won't actually get him but BAM there he went.

Johnny Legs is still probably the show stealer for me, watching it again I couldn't help but feel for the guy even though I disagree with how far he was willing to go.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-15-2005, 11:24 AM
I posted this in the SOTA toy thread, but I couldn't resist posting it here.

LAND OF THE DEAD FIGURES: http://photos.figures.com/photo/1/showphoto.php?photo=25853&cat=2950

First wave: Big Daddy, Blades, Cholo and Meat Cleaver Zombie. First sign of chances to pre-order, i'm there. I'm getting two extra Big Daddy's too, one for myself and one for my Dad, to open. AWESOME. :D

2-1B
08-22-2005, 01:31 AM
I sure am looking forward to that unrated director's cut on 10/18 ! :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-23-2005, 01:08 AM
Caesar, the "cut" is only like 4 minutes longer. I do hope it's gorier though. That would rule. :twisted:

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=7475&n=1&burl= for the artwork and here we go:

"Universal has announced rated and unrated editions of George A. Romero's Land of the Dead which stars the likes of Simon Baker, John Leguizamo, Dennis Hopper and Asia Argento. Both discs will be available to own from the 18th October this year, and should retail at around $29.99 a piece. The rated edition (runtime 1 hour 33 minutes) will be available in full frame only, whereas the unrated edition (1 hour 37 minutes) will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen. Each will carry English Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 Surround tracks. Extras wise, both discs will carry an audio commentary with George Romero, producer Peter Grumwald and editor Michael Doherty, an Undead Again: The Making of Land of the Dead featurette, A Day with the Living Dead featurette, deleted scenes and a When Shaun met George featurette. The unrated disc will include all of that, along with a Bringing the Dead to Life featurette, a Scenes of Carnage feature, a feature on the Zombie Effects from Green Screen to Finished Scene, a Bringing the Storyboards to Life feature, and Scream Tests: Zombie Casting Call. I'm afraid Universal hasn't released the rated artwork yet, but we've attached some early unrated artwork below"

2-1B
08-23-2005, 02:20 AM
It's not the "unrated" part of it I was looking forward to so much as the fact that it's coming to DVD soon. :)
It left theaters here pretty quickly so I only saw it twice and it didn't seem to last too long in the budget discount theaters . . . so I need me that DVD ! :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-01-2005, 12:24 PM
The final Unrated version DVD art is up and man it's tasty!! also, the final extras are set to include: Extras wise, both discs will carry an audio commentary with George Romero, producer Peter Grumwald and editor Michael Doherty, an Undead Again: The Making of Land of the Dead featurette, A Day with the Living Dead featurette, deleted scenes and a When Shaun met George featurette. The unrated disc will include all of that, along with a Bringing the Dead to Life featurette, a Scenes of Carnage feature, a feature on the Zombie Effects from Green Screen to Finished Scene, a Bringing the Storyboards to Life feature, and Scream Tests: Zombie Casting Call.

Source: BD.

2-1B
09-01-2005, 01:54 PM
I'm very aroused !

This will be an incredible Fall to buy DVDs . . . Land of the Dead before Halloween and afterwards, Rejects and Sith.

Wow. :)

Hellboy
09-01-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm looking forward to this too and that cover art is sweet!! :twisted:

Caesar, does Rejects even have a street date yet?

2-1B
09-02-2005, 12:39 AM
Indeed it does Mr. HB, that would be November 8th, one week after Sith ! :)

As far as the wicked cool Land cover art for the DVD, anybody else having thoughts of turning that hand into an avatar come October ? ;)

Hellboy
09-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the info Caesar. :)

Unfortunately I was quite busy during the week of Reject's release and once I did get some free time it had been bumped from theaters to accommodate the latest movie based off of an old television show. :rolleyes: So needless to say I'm really looking forward to it's arrival on DVD.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Here is an interview with Romero that I stole from BD. It mentions the possible sequel to LOTD and next flick in the living dead series.

TEN MINUTES WITH
DIRECTOR GEORGE ROMERO
By Elaine Lamkin

I recently had the brief but very pleasurable opportunity to speak with George “Call me George” Romero about current and future projects he is working on while at the same time promoting his current film, Land of the Dead. George will also be appearing at this year’s Chiller Theatre, October 28-30 at The Meadowlands in East Rutherford, NJ along with former Romero co-stars Judith O’Dea and Ken Foree, so far.

BD: Will there be a sequel to your current film, “Land of the Dead”?

GR: If I live, I hope so. I’d like to wait until something else happens in the world to generate a new idea but with things the way they are now, it could be a dirty bomb and…that’s all folks. But yes, my plan is for “Land of the Dead” to be the 4th of six films.

BD: I heard a rumor that the next film might be titled “World of the Dead”. Any credence to that rumor?

GR: That has nothing to do with me, never heard of it. But if you know who IS doing such a film, have him give me a call.

BD: What happened with you and “Masters of Horror”? Why did you drop out?

GR: I didn’t so much “drop out” as “run out of time”. I was working with Mick Garris, who is a wonderful guy, and I wanted to write my own thing for the series but the time simply wasn’t there. I’m still working on my story now, while I’m promoting “Land of the Dead” so hopefully, if “Masters of Horror” gets picked up, I’ll get another shot at doing it for the series.

BD: I have heard that you may be adapting one of Stephen King’s novels. What’s the truth behind that rumor?

GR: No rumor. Steve and I go way back and he’s a great guy and I wanted to do “The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon”, which is a wonderful story. I’ve actually already written the adaptation and wanted Dakota Fanning for the lead role. But Hollywood thought the story was “too soft”, especially with my name attached to it so it’s on hold for now. But we came VERY close to doing it! Perhaps one day soon…

BD: You are going to be at Chiller at the end of October. How many of your former actors do you expect will be there with you?

GR: I have no idea! I have a manager who simply tells me to be somewhere and I show up. I know Ken (Foree) will be there as he’s always there and you can’t miss him, he’s such a big guy. And Judy O’Dea is supposed to show up. Other than them, I haven’t a clue. But everyone make sure and stop by to say “Hi” at the very least because I KNOW I’ll be there!

Interview by Elaine Lamkin
October 2005

cheers! :D

2-1B
10-05-2005, 12:55 AM
I love that man. Class act all around. :) LET THE MAN MAKE TWO MORE FILMS ! :grin: At least one more to start with !

Hellboy
10-05-2005, 03:24 PM
my plan is for “Land of the Dead” to be the 4th of six films.

Best news I've heard all week, you go George. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-13-2005, 02:40 AM
so, i watched the Directors cut over the weekend and the extra 4-5 minutes doesn't add THAT much to the flick. There is that extra scene with Cholo when he has to beat some zombie a-- before visiting Kauffman and there is a bit more with Chihuaha, but for the most part, it's just gorier, much gorier. There were shots that i have no recollection of seeing on the big screen. Speaking of seeing it on the big screen, selected movie theaters across the country are showing the DC of LOTD monday night for one time only. Here is the blip from Fangoria:

Fangoria Entertainment, Universal Studios, National CineMedia Present a ONE TIME ONLY theatrical screening of George Romero's LAND OF THE DEAD, Directors Cut.

The screening will take place in selected theaters MONDAY, OCTOBER 17TH at 8PM (CLICK ON THEATER LINK BELOW FOR SHOWTIMES*).

Also included with this one time screening is an exclusive interview with George Romero taped in Toronto September 15"

here is the list of theaters:
Theater Name Address City State
PAVILIONS 11 9090 East Indian Bend Scottsdale AZ
RENAISSANCE 14 ONE East Main Street Alhambra CA
HACIENDA CROSSINGS STADIUM 20 plus 5000 Dublin Blvd Dublin CA
IRVINE SPECTRUM 21 65 Fortune Drive Irvine CA
NATOMAS MARKETPLACE STADIUM 16 3561 Truxel Road Sacramento CA
UA HORTON PLAZA 14 475 Horton Plaza San Diego CA
PAVILIONS 15 500 16Th Street #310 Denver CO
BRANFORD 12 325 E. Main Street Branford CT
SOUTH BEACH STADIUM 18 1120 Lincoln Road Mall Miami Beach FL
CITRUS PARK STADIUM 20 7999 Citrus Park Town Center Mall Tampa FL
PERMITER POINTE 10 1155 Mt. Vernon Highway Atlanta GA
LINCOLNSHIRE STADIUM 20 plus Imax 300 Parkway Drive Lincolnshire IL
GALAXY STADIUM 14 8105 E. 96Th Ave Indianapolis IN
UA SNOWDEN SQUARE STADIUM 14 9161 Commerce Center Dr. Columbia MD
BROOKLYN CENTER STADIUM 20 6420 Camden Avenue North Minneapolis MN
ST. LOUIS MILLS 18 5555 St. Louis Mills Blvd Hazelwood MO
KANSAS CITY STADIUM 18 CINEMAS 3200 Ameristar Drive Kansas City MO
STONECREST AT PIPER GLEN STADIUM 7824 Rea Road Charlotte NC
TOWNE SQUARE 10 2600 Timber Drive Garner NC
COMMERCE CENTER STADIUM 18 2399 Route 1 South North Brunswick NJ
VILLAGE SQUARE STADIUM 18 9400 W Sahara Avenue Las Vegas NV
UNION SQUARE STADIUM 14 850 Broadway New York NY
TRANSIT CENTER STADIUM 18 6707 Transit Road Williamsville NY
SEVERANCE TOWN CENTER STADIUM 14 3492 Mayfield Road Cleveland Heights OH
GEORGESVILLE SQUARE STADIUM 1800 Georgesville Square Drive Columbus OH
LLOYD CENTER 10 CINEMA 1510 NE Multnomah St Portland OR
MORAINE POINTE CINEMA 10 300 Moraine Pointe Plaza Butler PA
RIVERVIEW PLAZA 17 1400 S. Christopher Columbus Blvd Philadelphia PA
OPRY MILLS STADIUM 20 570 Opry Mills Drive Nashville TN
METROPOLITAN STADIUM 14 901 Little Texas Lane Austin TX
GALAXY THEATRE STADIUM 10 11801 Mccree Road Dallas TX
HOUSTON MARQ*E STADIUM 23 7620 Katy Freeway Houston TX
BALLSTON COMMON STADIUM 12 671 N. Glebe Road Arlington VA
MACARTHUR CENTER STADIUM 18 300 Monticello Avenue, Suite 330 Norfolk VA
AUBURN STADIUM 17 THEATRES 1101 Super Mall Way, Suite 901 Auburn WA
BELLA BOTEGA STADIUM 11 8890 NE 161st Avenue Redmond WA

sadly, i work till 9 pm monday night and the nearest theater is in Columbus. oh well. :crazed:

2-1B
10-13-2005, 03:35 AM
That's pretty cool, too bad Wisconsin doesn't get it. :)

So you got the DVD early Guy ? That's awesome. I can't wait to watch it for the third time next week and I already have plans to screen it on Sat Oct 29th for a few friends as part of a Halloween film mini-fest. :D

2-1B
10-22-2005, 11:57 PM
Work has been busy so I didn't get to buy this until Wednesday night, but I couldn't then either because the only Widescreen Unrated copies they had were double packed with the Boogeymen compilation for 3 or 4 dollars more. Stupid Wal-Mart. :frus:

I managed to scoop it up today at Target, however. :grin: I'll be digging into it tomorrow night, looking forward to my 3rd viewing of the film and of course those bonus features. :yes:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Romero is discussing the dead "life" after "Land of the Dead:"

We spoke to our old pal, legendary horror film director George A. Romero, ooh, about an hour ago, ostensibly to talk about the upcoming DVD release of Land Of The Dead (out on Boxing Day, folks).

But what kind of movie news service would we be if we didn’t take the time to ask him about his upcoming movies – and, to our surprise, the ever-affable Romero told us that a fifth Dead movie is very much on the cards.

“Now that Land of the Dead did so well in European markets and Japan, and the DVD is flying off shelves, there’s talk of a sequel,” he confirmed.

We say ‘surprised’ because, last time we encountered Romero back in August, he was somewhat down after the movie hadn’t performed well at the US box office, where it had been thrown up against the likes of Batman Begins and War Of The Worlds. But since then, the movie has caught on around the world and Universal/Rogue Pictures and Atmosphere, the production company behind Land are sniffing around a follow-up.

If it happens, a new Dead movie will follow the surviving characters from Land on their journey north, and as such will mark the first time Romero has made a direct sequel to one of his zombie flicks. And this time, there won’t be a lengthy gap between films.

“Frankly, I was ok with that,” because I’d much rather wait for something to happen, laughed Romero, referring to the political subtext that underpins each of his zombie movies. “If they nuke Washington, then I’ve got something. It won’t be in April but it might now be August or something. I hope to God we don’t have to do the winter again, but there’s a real buzz happening now about a sequel.”

Land Part Deux puts Romero’s two planned Stephen King adaptations, From A Buick 8 and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, on the back burner for a while yet. From A Buick 8, a tender coming of age fantasy that just happens to revolve around a car from an alien dimension, had only recently been announced as Romero’s next project.

“There’s no deal,” he said. “There’s no ink on paper. I have no idea if that’s first, or if Tom Gordon’s first. It’s all about who writes the first cheque. I like ‘em, I wrote screenplays for both of ‘em and I’m very comfortable with where they sit right now. But it’s all about which one gets going first.”

Needless to say, we’ll keep you posted of any future developments for either the next Dead movie, or the King flicks.

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/news/story.asp?NID=17593

I was reading one of their comments and I must say: the notion of the survivors from "Land" even just brushing by the survivors from "Dawn" (78) would probably make me wet myself. I'm not even kidding. But this is FANTASTIC NEWS. :crazed: :love:

Hellboy
12-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Fantastic news indeed Guyute. I would love a direct sequel to LOTD since I was of the opinion that the story ended just as it was really starting to get interesting. :thumbsup:

2-1B
10-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Bump (in the night) to give some more praise to this flick, definitely standing the test of time. :thumbsup: I watched it as part of a 3 day Dawn/Day/Land marathon the week before last and it's a really solid film, definitely a new angle to the Romero saga but very welcome. :cool:

Long live Fiddler's Green !!! :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Bump (in the night) to give some more praise to this flick, definitely standing the test of time. :thumbsup: I watched it as part of a 3 day Dawn/Day/Land marathon the week before last and it's a really solid film, definitely a new angle to the Romero saga but very welcome. :cool:

Long live Fiddler's Green !!! :thumbsup:

I offered my comp I and comp II students 21 bonus questions this week regarding horror films and one of the questions asked to name the city in LAND OF THE DEAD. Yeah, nobody got it. :lipsrsealed:

DIARY OF THE DEAD is due out next year. We should make a new thread. :thumbsup:

2-1B
10-30-2007, 09:16 PM
DIARY OF THE DEAD is due out next year. We should make a new thread. :thumbsup:

Let the build up begin, my friend ! :thumbsup:

Did anyone else know of the source for the name Fiddler's Green ? :confused:

I guess I always assumed it was in reference to Cabrini Green (given George F***ing Romero's proclivity to social commentary :) ) but I recently read about all the other historical/mythological references to Fiddler's Green so I guess that shows how ignorant I am. lol