PDA

View Full Version : OZZFEST Announcement!!!!!!!!!!!!

evenflow
05-12-2004, 09:14 AM
"According to a posting at the official Ozzfest web site, Ozzy Osbourne will be making a "big announcement" this Friday, May 14 via the first OzTV episode of Ozzfest 2004. Although presently unconfirmed, it is believed that the announcement will consist of the official confirmation of BLACK SABBATH as the headliners of this year's festival, which is scheduled to kick off July 10 in Hartford, Connecticut."

Sounds like Sabbath to me. The rumor has been going around so here's hoping.

Kidhuman
05-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Original Black Sabbath? Isnt Randy Rhodes dead? I would pay to see that one :beard:

arctangent
05-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Original Black Sabbath? Isnt Randy Rhodes dead? I would pay to see that one :beard:

eh :confused: ? i hope they come over this side of the pond seeing as thats where they are from rather than just touring the states with the ozzfest because that's where the :greedy: 's at.

the ozzfest line up already looks pretty good to me - especially as it contains judas priest newly reunited with rob halford!

James Boba Fettfield
05-12-2004, 10:43 AM
I second that "eh?"

Randy was a post Sabbath Ozzy guitarist.

Iommi is the Sabbath guitarist (and one of James Hetfield's inspirations!)

Kidhuman
05-12-2004, 05:38 PM
My bad. :beard:

evenflow
05-13-2004, 08:19 AM
I can't wait for the announcement if this is what it turns out to be. I personally would like to see a half hour set of Ozzy solo with Zakk, and then hour and a half of sabbath like they did back in 97. I think it was 97.

evenflow
05-14-2004, 08:53 PM
ALright well that was a total let down. That was really horrible. I am all for helping local and unsigned bands, but this is Ozzfest and we all wanted Sabbath. He shoudl worry about them before anything else. :(

arctangent
05-17-2004, 05:34 AM
apparently its all rob halford's fault - he said how good it would be for priest to share a stage with not only ozzy but the rest of sabbath too. sharon is apparently in negotiations with tony iommi and bill ward about sabbath doing the ozzfest. there is also a rumour that ozzy's current bass player (can't remember his name) has quit/been fired and is being replaced by geezer butler.

evenflow
05-17-2004, 08:44 AM
apparently its all rob halford's fault - he said how good it would be for priest to share a stage with not only ozzy but the rest of sabbath too. sharon is apparently in negotiations with tony iommi and bill ward about sabbath doing the ozzfest. there is also a rumour that ozzy's current bass player (can't remember his name) has quit/been fired and is being replaced by geezer butler.

I heard the Geezer would be playing for Ozzy regardless. I think this whole unknown band deal is a gimmick. I am guessing that it will be a band that just got signed to a label. It will be a ploy.

arctangent
05-17-2004, 09:26 AM
i think you are right evenflow, geezer will be there whatever.

obviously being in the uk i won't get to see the ozzfest but if would love to see sabbath again (i saw them play a 'secret' gig at the 1500 capacity london astoria in december '99 as a warm-up for their birmingham homecoming shows which was incredible, especially seeing tony iommi at work close up!). i actually have my vol 4 and sabbath bloody sabbath cd's with me today at work and listening to them made me wish that they would do a few more obscure songs rather than the standards - stuff like a national acrobat, looking for today, wheels of confusion, under the sun, hard road, gypsy (stuff that ozzy probably can't even remember recording) and if they felt really daring they could try an acoustic planet caravan.

2-1B
05-17-2004, 12:45 PM
I think it's great that Geezer is playing bass now that Robert is with that other band ;) and Jason moved on from Ozzy.

Ozzy did some great things with Geezer back in the 80s post-Sabbath.

evenflow
05-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Well here is some new news.

"BLACK SABBATH will reunite for the first time since 2001 for Ozzfest 2004, which begins July 10 in Hartford, Conn., a spokeswoman for the annual road show told Reuters on Tuesday (May 18).

Ozzfest co-founder and headliner Ozzy Osbourne will be joined by guitarist Tony Iommi and bass player Geezer Butler. But original drummer Bill Ward will be replaced by Mike Bordin, who backs Osbourne in his solo band. "

No update on the Ozzfest website yet, but this is supposedly official.

2-1B
05-18-2004, 12:45 PM
Much like the Sabbath reunion of a few years ago, when they had Bordin also playing drums.

I need Mr. Bill Ward there. I'm sure his health is an issue again.

evenflow
05-18-2004, 01:59 PM
I am thinking management issues. Sucks if you ask me. They are going to bill it as Sabbath and its really not. :(

arctangent
05-19-2004, 07:35 AM
i don't think its management/band issues, a la peter criss. i don't really think bill ward is a very healthy man - he did have a heart attack when they were rehearsing for their last reunion which was what stopped him touring. i know he is still on very friendly terms with the rest of sabbath but i do wonder if he might not be up to playing every night and it wouldn't be fair to put his health at risk if he's not up to it.

evenflow
05-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Sounds like management to me. :(

"BLACK SABBATH fan site Black-Sabbath.com has posted a statement from drummer Bill Ward regarding his non-participation in the upcoming BLACK SABBATH reunion at this year's Ozzfest. The statement reads as follows:

"Dear SABBATH People,

"This morning I received the very sad news that Mike Bordin is to play drums with BLACK SABBATH on Ozzfest '04.

"BLACK SABBATH is, and always will be, an important priority in my life. I support Geezer's, Tony's and Ozzy's decisions to move ahead into Ozzfest '04 without me. I can appreciate they may not be overjoyed with the decision, and I'd really like to be with them. Nothing would please me more than to be a part of the show.

"Last week I did receive a proposal which allowed no room for negotiation. It was a cul-de-sac proposal in my opinion, where the only answer was yes or no. I was asked to respond by Friday. May 14th. I wrote a brief letter of decline on Thursday, May 13th. I answered directly at the proposal, and left out any personal comments, other than I was sad to have to decline. What I did not put in my response was this:

"I'm willing to be flexible
I'm willing to compromise
I'm willing to negotiate
I'm willing to play.

"I understand and believe in a united front when it comes to SABBATH. I can appreciate the fallout from such a decision will upset some people, and I am so sorry. I'm more than willing to support Ozzfest in any way I can.

"I've walked down this street before when SABBATH did the first reunion without me and had Mike Bordin play instead. I want you to know, I'm not being the bad guy here. I'm not trying to hold anyone to ransom. And I'm not trying to reverse my decision to decline in hope of a positive managerial response to this letter.

"I'm ready, willing and able to rock. There are some details on the proposal that don't work for me. I guess it's a case of the importance of things on both sides and I think that's all I can say for now."

arctangent
05-19-2004, 11:08 AM
ouch :mad: . perhaps it is a peter criss situation, after all. shame.

evenflow
05-21-2004, 09:35 AM
Here is some more news.

Drummer Bill Ward will be rejoining his BLACK SABBATH bandmates at this year's Ozzfest after all. The following is Bill's official statement on the matter, as posted on his official web site:

"Dear SABBATH People,

"I have communicated to Sharon [Osbourne] that I will accept the proposal of 5/11/04 regarding me playing Ozzfest, and today I received a very positive response from her. At this time, I am taking this response as a move forward. This announcement is for the benefit of all those who these past few days have been so outspoken favouring and supporting me as a member of SABBATH. I personally thank all of you. To All SABBATH People On Earth - Rock & Shine."

arctangent
05-26-2004, 06:08 AM
hurrah :) ! although i don't know why i am so happy about that - its not like i can get to any of the shows :frus: .

evenflow
05-26-2004, 09:01 AM
Well it is not officially confirmed yet so dont get too excited, but at least they are working on it.

2-1B
05-29-2004, 03:21 AM
It must really suck for Bill to have to deal with that hag of a woman married to his old mate, Oz. :(

I hope this works out because they need those guys to become Sabbath.
Not Mike Bordin, not Vinnie Appice, not Dio, not Tony Martin, not Ice-T (he played on the Forbidden CD :D ), not Eric Singer, not anybody other than those 4 original lads from Birmingham.

I think I'll listen to Johnny Blade now. :)

evenflow
06-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Well they finally changed the picture on the Ozzfest website. Bill Ward is now there so I guess that means its official :)