PDA

View Full Version : Tycho's favorite things in his collection list - changes from time to time

Tycho
05-13-2004, 01:54 PM
I guess this thread is really just for me. Comment if you like, ignore it otherwise, or read it as a random curiosity.

Sometimes there are certain items - and odd older ones at that - which I just really appreciate having in my collection.

As of these past 2 days, I've noticed I'm still very excited to have:

12" Han Hoth and TaunTaun
12" Luke Hoth and Wampa

These 2 sets are loose, on top of my Battle of Hoth Diorama - which as a whole I also really appreciate (there's an AT-AT, a vintage AT-ST, some snowtroopers crossing no-mans-land versus Rebel Troops in the Vintage Attack Base Playset with the Turret Playset beside it, and I have snowspeeders hanging above them (and a 3rd one with Luke, having just crashed).

There's hardly anything new put into these sets since 1998 when I probably completed building them. Oh I have a new "shrimpy" Hoth Rebel Soldier from this year I'll get around to adding (maybe today?) but I dig this stuff as a whole.

New stuff may not excite me that much, as they're a lot of rehashes, but I really appreciate having my "old stuff" I got mostly from '96-'98 with regards to this display.

In other news, here in my home-office room, where I have pretty much exclusively "Tatooine stuff," I am really digging:

12" Tusken Raider (1996)
12" Luke Skywalker (1996)
12" Obi-Wan Kenobi (1996)
12" Electronic Talking C-3PO (1998 I think)
12" Lando Skiff Guard (2003)
12" Gamorrean Guard (2003)
12" Bib Fortuna (1997)
Unleashed Boba Fett (2003)
12" Electronic Boba Fett (1998 I think)

A lot of this stuff is older merchandise, yet the modern collection. And curiously enough, at a time when the 12" line is in a bit of trouble, a lot of it is "action collection" stuff.

I just really appreciate having it.

Honorable mentions go to the 3 3/4" Garindan figure (1997) whom I really appreciate Hasbro making.

Droid
05-13-2004, 02:19 PM
I rotate the scenes that I have set up, but I just get really excited about the cantina and Jabba's palace scenes whenever I set them out. I know there could be more figures made for both scenes, but I still just get excited about all they have made since '95. Imagine setting up a cantina with just the four vintage aliens!

Val Da Car
05-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Check the Diorama's section...I am starting my first Diorama based on the Rhen Var planet in the Xbox Clone Wars game...

Since it is a winter based scene that I can eventually make it a Hoth scene without moving the base (once it has been winterized)

Dark Marble
05-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Probably the toy I love most in my collection is my vintage ESB Falcon. At first it really doesn't sound that special. It is mint and complete and all the parts are perfect with no yellowing or "weird smells." But for a trade of some old figures I had laying around, I was able to send my Falcon to this great artist who painted my Falcon to look like it did in ESB my favorite movie.

It has a crew of Han bespin capture, Chewy bespin escape, 3P0 removable limbs, and Hoth Leia. It is an amazing piece and hopefully very unique but it really is something else. Sometimes I forget it is there, but once in a whileI take a look and remeber how much I love it and how much I loved watching the Falcon in action as a kid.

El Chuxter
05-13-2004, 03:27 PM
I think my favorite item in my collection is Uncanny X-Men #244. Sure, it ain't worth a lot of dough, and it was before Marc Silvestri really hit his stride and became one of the greatest artists in the biz, and it's one of Chris Claremont's weaker stories from his glory days, but it's the first appearance of Jubilee!! Woooo!!

Oh, uh, you meant SW toys? Uhhhhh, okay.

My current favorite is probably the Saga Tusken. I just think it's funny whenever Hasbro makes figures with removable heads, I mean, that kinda goes against their philosophy that the line is for kids, right? And the magnet features in so many Saga figures allows you to do all sorts of funny things with him.

Tycho
05-13-2004, 09:25 PM
El Chuxter - you mean like Mandalorian Tusken Commandos with the Tusken and removeable head Jango... Or Dagobah Darth Vader "removeable Fett-ish" :D

I suppose that could be fun...sort of.

DarkMarble, your Falcon sounds awesome. I have chosen almost the exact same crew for one of my Falcons, but I used the Mynock Hunt characters and the MMC Threepio. This Falcon of mine hangs over my Cloud City Playset I created out of this kiddie-kitchen toy thing that's like 4 1/2 feet tall. I want to add 3 Cloud Cars flying around it someday. But the scene's a collage since Han can't be in the Falcon and getting carbon frozen at the same time, but the setup looked so cool, I wanted to incorporate a lot of scenes into the larger "playset."

Kidhuman
05-14-2004, 08:42 AM
I really couldnt think of a favorite right now, since , like Tycho, mine is always changing. One thing I love is My ROTJ Jabba. I wish I still had the throne for it, but I dont. :(

In the modern collection era, my fgavorite piece is Ephant Mon. He is unique in all fronts. Large, colorful, agnd just without g doubt awesome. Vehicle wise, even though I dont have it would be the gunship.

12" figure would be Dagobah Luke and Yoda. Love this one. I dont have many 12" figures either.

Lego wise - Its a toss up. Of what I own it is the AT-TE. Of what I dont own, Cloud CIty or AT AT.

Hellboy
05-15-2004, 06:17 PM
The favorite items in my collection would be:

Carded Figure- Vintage: SW 12-back- Death Squad Commander- C-9+

Carded Figure 1995-present: Toy Fair Vader

Loose 3.75 Figure: CW- super articulated Clone Trooper

Vehicle: Imperial Shuttle Tyderium

12" Figure: Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike

Tycho
05-17-2004, 02:34 AM
The favorite items in my collection would be:

Carded Figure- Vintage: SW 12-back- Death Squad Commander- C-9+

Carded Figure 1995-present: Toy Fair Vader

Loose 3.75 Figure: CW- super articulated Clone Trooper

Vehicle: Imperial Shuttle Tyderium

12" Figure: Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike

Hellboy and I have a lot of things in common tonight, and like Kidhuman, I totally relate to my favorite choices being in flux.

Nice carded figure, Hellboy (the vintage). Do you collect 12-backs/vintage carded, or does that happen to be your rare piece? (or your favorite for some reason?)

I have a carded Jedi Luke (green saber) and a carded Emperor Palpatine - saved from the 80's. I don't think about them often. You triggered that memory.

The Toy Fair Vader was nice. I don't collect the silver figures, but that was the best one. Jeremy and Daniel autographed my silver Fett at Comic Con, but that's the range of the silver ones I have. I'm going to Con this year, but I'm not going to wait in line for a Sandtrooper. (though I love their regular figures of them - all painted sandy, etc.)

The shuttle I never seem to appreciate as much as I should. One of mine is not far from the desk I'm typing at right now, but I haven't picked it up and admired it in a long time. Think I should at least to get the dust off.

My Luke Jedi Unleashed has been in my thoughts recently. It's loose and I really like the pose and the giant green lightsaber swoosh!

I also like my Clone Wars Cartoon Shows I taped off the Toon Network with no commercials. Not exactly a store-bought collectible, but one I made on my own, I'm really glad I have those shows!

My 12" Speederbikes are put away right now. I never opened any of them due to lack of room until I move to a larger house.

I still think the Scout Trooper on the first bike they released is probably one of the best PACKAGED items in the history of the modern collection.

Good choices, Hellboy!

stillakid
05-17-2004, 11:35 AM
I'll third that on the Biker Scout. I couldn't bear to break it out of its package because it looks so good in there. So when the new 12" Scout was available, I paired one of him with the Leia bike and display it on top of my computer monitor. It's very cool.

Everything else fluxes, as you say. I'm always very fond of my Don Post Deluxe Vader and Biker Scout helmets. I also recently acquired a Rocketeer mask.

I don't have a lot of room to set it up, but the Jabba throne room stuff with the band makes for a really cool display.

And my vintage Shuttle sits about 8 feet from this spot. It's too nice to pack away for long periods. :D

Hellboy
05-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Nice carded figure, Hellboy (the vintage). Do you collect 12-backs/vintage carded, or does that happen to be your rare piece? (or your favorite for some reason?)

Thanks Tycho.

I do collect carded Vintage figures but I'm very picky at what I do buy. They all have to be at least C-9 condition and preferably unpunched, so as I'm sure you can imagine I don't run into that many.

The SW cards I collect don't have to be 12 backs I just happened to get a deal on that one that I couldn't refuse. The only other figure I own on a SW card is the Jawa but the Death Squad Commander is my favorite mainly because they changed the name to Star Destroyer Commander on all future releases except for a few that made it out on ESB cards.

My main focus is on completing my Vintage ESB collection before I get more into the SW cards but if I get a great deal on one I won't pass it up. :)

B'Omarr Monkey
05-17-2004, 11:43 PM
I also have rotating favorites. I've just moved and everything is still packed up, but I'm excited about getting everything out so I can look at it again. My last place was too small to display anything where my preschool kids couldn't get their hands on it. My new office has plenty of room, and I'm hoping to build shelving specifically taylored for my 3 3/4" figures, including build in dowel pegs for their feet so that I don't need to deal with the domino effect happening. I will probably also build the shelves like steps, with three height levels, so you can see the figures in the back.

That said, I'm really happy to be holding R1-G4. Granted, it's more of an inaction figure, but he/she/it's been on my wish list since I started one back in '97 or '98, when Hasbro first really gave me hope that most if not all of the obscure background characters would be made. He was also part of a housewarming gift my wife gave me of SW figures I didn't have, so it was a nice way to begin introducing SW toys to their new environment.

I'm still very fond of my vintage Death Star, Imperial Troop Transport, and the first four figures I received in their white plastic tray courtesy of the early bird special. Of course, mine were played with. R2's sticker is a little worse for wear, and Luke's head came off when he fell from a tree onto a rock (of course this was one with the long telescoping lightsaber), and even though I replaced Luke, I still have the one with the unattached head, and I still have the plastic tray they were shipped in.

The great thing about the vintage line was that everything kept getting recarded, so that when Luke was decapitated several years after I got him, I had no trouble replacing him.

I also love my 12" Biker scout and bike and my 12" Han on Tauntaun (which I paid $120 and don't regret at all). they also seemed to me to be the last hurrah for the 12" line. I liked all the early 12" figures, but they started to become hard to come by, the exclusives were out of hand, then the quality went downhill. I have them all through x-wing pilot Luke, and a few after, but I don't buy any anymore. Maybe because I never had any of the vintage 12" dolls, these don't excite me as much as the 3 3/4" line, but there you have it.

Tycho
05-18-2004, 03:36 AM
My vintage 12" Han, Chewie, and Boba Fett used to excite me quite a bit as a kid.

My mom helped me sell them quite some time ago, virtually while I was still a kid, so I don't have them around any more.

But I think they were cooler than any of the 12" I have of those characters now in the modern line - Chewie definitely, Han pretty much so, and Fett is close (because the electronic one is so cool - but the new Ultimate Jango Fett shows us just how much cooler they could have also made Boba).

B'Omarr Monkey
05-18-2004, 07:15 PM
I really liked the vintage 12" Chewie as well. He looked like a big version of the 3 3/4" toy. Much nicer than the plastic 12" Chewie from a few years ago.