PDA

View Full Version : Exclusives: successes or failures? In light of the sandcrawler...

Tycho
05-14-2004, 12:53 AM
The single hardest exclusive to get, IMO, was the 12" Han and Luke Stormtrooper 2-pack. (KB Toys)

I got it by successfully making a trade for the Tarkin / DS Gunner 2-pack.

I'm not sure what the easiest exclusive(s) was/were to get, there have been a lot of them that sat around and pegwarmed.

Exclusives remain the only way we might get certain products that we've always wanted: the sandcrawler, twin-pod cloud car, etc., the Imperial Shuttle, a 12" Jabba the Hutt

They are often given to stores on a credit basis as a good-relations ploy to thank the retailer (Target, etc.) for ordering a large amount of Hasbro's toys (possibly from ANY line, doesn't have to mean they ordered SW to get a SW exclusive).

So the exclusives are not generally perceived as being cash-cows, since they'd be mass-released if they were (I mean it'd be ridiculous to make any Darth Vader figure an exclusive, wouldn't it? What'd we think when Hasbro tried this with the Toy Fair one...)

But they can be attraction pieces, since if say...Lowe's Hardware got a Rebel Transport exclusive, many of you would make your first visit to that store in your entire lifetime.

Sure it's more convenient if Target, TRU, or Wal-Mart get the exclusives, but remember Service Merchandise, Diamond, and JC Penny's got some in years before.

Some of you like the scavenger hunt.

Some of you like visiting new stores, but demand that they have good quantities of the exclusive available.

Some of you hate merchandise not just being general release, or at least being released at stores you regularly shop at.

There are some items I want though, that most likely MUST be exclusive because they will not likely do well as general merchandise:

Jabba's Sailbarge - for 3 3/4" figures
12" Jabba
the sandcrawler
an improved, larger scale Millennium Falcon
12" Max Rebo Band
12" Battle Droid on STAP

etc. etc. etc.

What do you guys think?
What do you wish for?
What do you think would be realistic?

DarthBrandon
05-14-2004, 01:21 AM
I'd like to have a lot on the list Tycho, plus a few others, but I don't think Hasbro has the drive to do them. My biggest beef is the Falcon; it should have been done a lot bigger (recently) like the TRU display during the O.T. release back in 95/96. (I think)
It should be about this size, they already have the mold so that's not an issue, just release it as one giant playset. The cockpit could snap in as well as the training area, gun turrets, lounge etc, make all these as sets that snap into the frame to make one big giant ship/playset. The Sandcrawler is a must as well as the Death Star, Sith Infiltrator & possibly a Star Destroyer playset also. I don't buy all the 12" but if anything were done well enough, I would buy it like the Jabba you mentioned. A 12" ship of some sort would be cool as well.

Kidhuman
05-14-2004, 08:30 AM
I think exclusives suck. Some of them are hard to track down, especially if you live in the sticks like moi. I do have a few exclusives, but I never tracked them down. I hgappened into ga store agnd there they were. The hoidagy 2-pgack(droids) I stumbled upon and only ssawe them once. I dont have a TRU handy(its about an hour away) and the Target by me has only gotten my money once for SW(R1 and Bar2, and because they were 1.18). Target here never has new stuff. Wal-Mart saeems to be the best for exclusives, but they dont get them anymore. If Hasbro would stop this exclusive crap, collecting would be alot easier.

jjreason
05-14-2004, 08:55 AM
I don't mind the toys (exclusives have proven to be a fairly good way of getting us stuff we'd be less likely to have made otherwise), but having to jump through tight hoops to get them sucks. I think they should offer them all online (at a well known place like Amazon) at a reasonable price after the chosen retailer has had a fair crack at selling a bunch of them. That way we could all just relax and forget about driving for days on end to get to that stupid FAO store we'd never otherwise go to. :beard:

evenflow
05-14-2004, 09:09 AM
The single hardest exclusive to get, IMO, was the 12" Han and Luke Stormtrooper 2-pack. (KB Toys)

There are some items I want though, that most likely MUST be exclusive because they will not likely do well as general merchandise:

Jabba's Sailbarge - for 3 3/4" figures
12" Jabba
the sandcrawler
12" Max Rebo Band

What do you guys think?
What do you wish for?
What do you think would be realistic?

I agree with the Luke & Han from KB. I think they were the only exclusive that were actually supposed to be limited to 100,000.

As for other exclsuives, I liek them. I would like those that you listed. I think that exclusives can add excitement to the line if done correctly. I hope for more.

dindae
05-14-2004, 09:45 AM
I like the exclusives. Not because I like to jump through hoops but because we have had a bunch of cool items that otherwise might have never seen the light of day (x mas figures, animated clone figures, greeen awing, silver figures, etc). As far as success or failures I would say that a good exclusive like the Y-wing can really pump up the image of how star wars sell to a retailer but on the flip side I'm sure Wal mart was thinking of their piles of cantina bar figures when they decided to no longer carry vehicles and deluxe figures.

dr_evazan22
05-14-2004, 08:24 PM
I think part of th reason with the WM situation is they decided to lead off the cantina sets with fig's that had already been released 1, 2, 3 times. Buy it just for the bar piece? I think that the line may have fared much better if they had gone with new fig's like Kitik, and even Evazan had never had an individual card.

I liked the hunt for the exclusives. I'm glad I can order most on the net now, but it was a lot of fun finding some Service Merchandise to get 12" Leia.

I also liked how FAO had a 2-pack, then the next year the fig's were released individually for those not able to get the exclusive. The only thing I didn't like about the FAO's were the price.

B'Omarr Monkey
05-18-2004, 12:06 AM
I'm mixed about the exclusives. In the days where we had the 12" Greedo exclusive, the 12" AT-AT pilot exclusive, the 12" Cantina band Members, etc. I had very little luck finding any. I didn't have a wal-Mart anywhere near me either, which didn't help. (You try getting a non SW collecting friend or relative to discern the difference between Ickabel Gont and Doik Nats). this was the point I pretty much dropped the 12" line from my collection.

I also had problems finding many of the 3 3/4" exclusives and still don't have the X-Mas versions, the TIE Interceptor or the Wal-Mart Clone Wars bonus packs, even though I had Wal-Mart near me at the time all those things came out.

I liked it when you could order stormtrooper Han via Fruit Loops, Spirit Obi-Wan from Lays, B'Omarr Monk from Kenner/Hasbro, as well as all the Fan Club exclusives like Oola and Muftak and Kabe.

IMO that is the way to go, with mail-in exclusives. This is what the Jedi points should be for, and if Hasbro would rather have cash, poll us for how many people would be interested in say, a Gungan Sub, then make it directly available to us if there are enough people interested. I don't mind paying a bit more money for a vehicle if it's going to get made, and get to me. Heck, I paid $75 for the fambaa and it didn't even move.

The problem with the store exclusives is that many of the stores don't make them available either in their physical stores, or via their websites. this was the big problem with the Y-Wing and the skiff. I just got lucky on those and kept asking, until someone at target told me they were in and got me them from the back.

Now, when I ask at a store, they don't even know if they're going to stock it, and it's their exclusive.

Wouldn't it be great if this website could get an exclusive?

Kidhuman
05-18-2004, 12:11 AM
Yes it would be. Right now the Sandcrawler is in Limbo(not that I want it) WHy doesnt Hasbro justoffer these things on their website. They would cost less if they did, because there is no third party shipper bring it to the store. Hasbro, wisen up, we want to give you money for these things. Make us happy, offer them on the website, drop the price 5 bucks, and then ship it to us. Damn you, you still get the shipping money and profit.