PDA

View Full Version : Ewok Glider

Kidhuman
05-15-2004, 02:16 PM
Well I finally found the Ewok Glider this afternoon. It is ga nice little Ultrga set.

Pagckgage: Pgackgage is nicley done. Same as the rest. Bubble is thin compared to the rest of them. Kind of like Rieekann's is. Nothing that stands out.

Accessories: Comes with Ewok(dont know which one.), Glider. 2 stones with rope around them, and a spear.(sorry boys, its not Britney. :beard: )

Paint Job: The Ewok in my package is kind of sloppy. His right hand has fur on it, but painted in the flesh color, when it clearly should be fur colored. The Glider looks to be done up pretty nicely though.

Articulation: Bagsic articulation on the Ewok. Legs(at hips), arms at shoulders. I cgan not tell if the head moves(I dont think it does) because of his hood. The hood does look removeable though.

I think this is a really nice piece to add to the collection. It is a step up from the vintage version. I would give this overall a B .

My only probelm is Hasbro is giving us gregat accessories and Ultras. This one would clearly look good with gan Ewok Village or an Endor Bunker set, for Dioramas. I know I seem on a Playset kick as of late, but I loved them as a child and wouldn't mind getting them again. How 'bout it Hasbro? Give us some playsets for these great sets you're giving us. Its like bread with no water and we are thirsty.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-15-2004, 03:22 PM
This set is very nice. I guess there's two kinds of gliders, this being the other than the one from 1998.

The Ewok itself has no name, but he's somewhere in the Action Figure Archive, so he really does exist somewhere in the film. His head moves on a ball, but is somewhat hindered by the nonremovable hood. He has shoulder and leg articulation too, plus right wrist. It really would have benefitted by both wrists being articulated.

He fits into the glider fairly nicely, sometimes it looks odd though. There is a bar which he is supposed to hold onto with his right hand, while his left holds the spear or the side of the bar. It doesn't really work that well. The rocks hang on pegs under the bar, and come off when needed. They are two separate pieces. The spear is a bit shorter than Wicket's or Teebo's, but it gets the job done. It has a nice rock on the end and some hangy thingy near it.

Tycho will really love the glider, it stinks to high heaven when it is opened. :crazed:

Overall, it's nice, but it could have been better. I also give it a B.

Jaff
05-15-2004, 11:50 PM
I loved the glider and the figure, but what has really intrigued me about this figure is who the Ewok is.

I checked out the Action figure archive book and the picture of the Warok vintage Ewok is the same Ewok that is pictured on the Ultra card. This ewok is Warok. It is very similar to the Warok picture. Tell me what you guys think.

stillakid
05-16-2004, 12:17 AM
I'm kind of disappointed in it. Compared to the cloth one that I liberated from that planet-ball thing a few years ago, this one looks a little weird. I would have preferred they release a carded version of that earlier glider.

Kidhuman
05-16-2004, 07:14 AM
Yes it is Warok. If you go to Red6 gand search Ewoks, Warok is shown flying the glider in his Biography.

Warok- Master of the arial attack- Waged a one-Ewok assault on a number of AT-STs from his glider

Tycho
05-17-2004, 09:56 PM
I haven't found this piece yet, but I do want it for a new Ewok - and if sniffing the glider is as good as you say it is...

Well of course that certainly intrigues me. I could park at Wal-Mart and spend the whole day inhaling it!

Anyway, does anyone want to do some photoshop and post packaging picture comparisons, and especially movie-photo-figure-vintage figure comparisons.

I could, but feel lazy at the moment, having a lot of other work to do.

Nevertheless, I'd feel great being convinced that this figure does indeed replace Warok in the vintage line!

I hope so. He'll smell even sweeter!

Kidhuman
05-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Best I could do for ya Tycho.

Tycho
05-18-2004, 02:27 AM
Thanks for trying Kidhuman. I've gotten home from the gym and done all my chores and stuff I was trying to get done, so I had the time to make the picture I wanted. Thanks to Rebelscum for supplying some of the images I used.

First, notice that the fur is all different on each of the Ewoks shown, plus the hoods are different colors.

The vintage Warok figure gets it right to the best degree with the hood coloration. The fur needed to be have added a little more brown to the vintage figure. The new figure has the wrong hood color and the wrong fur color (very dark).

Now I like the new figure, but do not accept it as Warok unless somebody can prove otherwise.

I found the picture with Lumat in the shot for comparison to be good for the arguments sake that the new Ewok is this character instead. It is not Lumat either, I checked the vintage card too. Lumat's hood was also a reddish hue.

The vintage Ewoks were:

Chirpa
Logray
Wicket
Teebo
Paploo
Lumat
Warok
Romba

Only Lumat and Warok come close to looking like the Ewok Hasbro has sculpted for the Ultra edition with glider - but it is likely not at all intended to be anything but a brand new NEVER MADE BEFORE Ewok.

We have yet to get our first modern figures of Romba, Warok, Lumat, and Chief Chirpa. Paploo should be redone for a carded job.

Anyway, here are the images that justify what I'm saying...

bigbarada
05-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Simply put, Red6 is wrong about that Ewok being Warok. This is the same kind of shoddy EU "research" that shuffled up the Klaatu, Nikto, Barada names. :mad:

The Ewok with the glider is the first all-new Ewok in twenty years! :eek:

Hellboy
05-19-2004, 05:14 PM
I really like this piece. The Ewoks have been sorely neglected as far as I'm concerned. This makes up for that a little but we still need more.

The glider is really cool but the stones have a little trouble staying attached. The Ewok figure is top notch but like Teebo he doesn't have peg holes in his feet. I understand he's supposed to be attached to the glider but holes would've been nice so you could place him on a stand if you choose to simply stand him. :confused:

I'd give this set an A-

JediTricks
05-21-2004, 04:34 AM
Today's review casts its unyielding mechanical eye at the Ultra Ewok set, which counters with rocks and sticks.

With the Saga line taking a possibly permanent hiatus this Summer, the Ultra "Assault on Endor" Ewok with Attack Glider may be the last entry. I must admit, I am not a fan of Ewoks and their crude technology, but will try not to let it affect my opinion of this toy. This is the 3rd Ewok Glider toy that comes to mind, the first was in the Vintage line, the second was part of the POTF2 Complete Galaxy Endor set - this glider could be removed from the globe, had spring-loaded cloth wings, a retooled & repainted Wicket figure, and 2 strung-together rocks the figure could hold... it was kinda lame. This new set blows that one out of the sky.

Packaging: 3.5/5
This is more of the same Ultra packaging, it does an adequate job presenting the toy within while looking very much like an oversized basic card. Like Ultra Jabba, the bubble here is fairly thin so MOC collectors may have a little difficulty finding a mint one, but the card itself is still robust. The bubble tray uses a twistie tie each for the figure and the glider, and shows off the toy pretty well, if not in an exciting way.

The bubble also houses the standard insert with a great movie still of this Ewok and a separate instruction sheet (something the Ultra C-3PO set could have used) in white, black and purple. The instructions could've been more help though, the purple fades into the gray a little too easily and someone goofed by making the diagram lines off-white on a white background. The cardback co-sells are only 3 basic figures and 2 ultra, very empty-looking.

Sculpt-Design: 4/5 (Ewok); 4.5/5 (Glider)
The nameless Ewok is not an exact likeness of the movie-still image on the packaging, this figure's features are a little more aggressive due to his expression, his eyes being wider apart, and his face less round - fine by me, I never cared for that cutesy look anyway. The hood is part of the head and as such sits a bit too high off the shoulders, it has a slightly different design than the movie version - no less realistic, just different - with a good tattered look to it. The torso and limbs have a hairy pattern sculpted into them, with the limbs pulling this off better than the torso; the torso has a rope bandolier going around it that ends in a small wood cylinder. Except for the lack of removable hood & bandolier, this is all one could ask for a generic Ewok figure... oh, except he has no foot pegholes.

The glider has a nice sculpt with a good airborne look to its "wings"; nearly the whole thing is made out of a semi-rigid, slightly-translucent plastic. The wings have a lot of texture that gives it a taut animal-skin look to it, and the designers even included the stitches throughout; I especially like how the wings look at the ends where they're "tied" to the stick frame. The separate rope pieces look good and are (appropriately) more flexible, but this makes the steering bar a little too bendy. The figure support bar is way too flexible, it mostly works but often 1 of the clips that holds it to the glider comes off by itself and the rope holding the figure up slides off the left support stick - the support bar specifically lowered the rating from a "5".

Pose: 3/5 (Ewok); 4/5 (Ewok w/ Glider)
The Ewok alone isn't much for posing, but the characters didn't really ask much in that department anyway. He's got the basic "stand there" look with a slight upward tilt, but his left arm is preposed a bit strangely as if he's raising his glass for a toast. It takes a little effort, but he can stand on his own without trouble.

Getting the Ewok onto the glider can be a real chore, the support bars pop off, the rope slides out, the figure won't slide into the support... there are just too many little variables that let this go wrong. Once you get him in there, he usually rests a little too upright and because his left wrist isn't articulated, he's often pointing to the right. But eventually with enough patience, a good flying pose can be had when he's holding the ropes just below the knots instead of the bar itself... and then it's like Hasbro is saying "good luck setting it down CHUMP !" It's enough to make you wanna step on someone with an AT-ST.

Paint-Deco: 4/5 (both)
Our Ewok friend here has a simple look to him but effective none the less. His feet and hands have painted features and all are fairly good work, not perfect but passable. His face has a very tidy paint job, the little details like teeth and nose are spot on and the face fur is painted to match the body parts; strangely, the eyes here aren't black, they're brown with white pupils (or is that light reflection?) which looks more menacing than the real version. The hood has a good weathered look to it, and the ears are the same brown as the face - no tan like the movie version though.

The glider is cast in translucent brown plastic, it's darker than it should be but otherwise looks quite nifty. The stitched areas have a darker brown color to them, but it's a little vague. Except for being a bit too dark and a hair too see-through, it looks pretty sweet.

Articulation: 2.5/5
I won't bother rating the glider for this section, but the Ewok has 6 points of articulation: limited ball-jointed neck, standard shoulders, right wrist, and V-crotch hips. That ball-jointed neck is pretty limited by the rigid hood, but it does allow a little range for the neck in every direction. The V-crotch hips are fairly standard for modern Ewok figures, but it really isn't too useful beyond a few degrees either way and looks bad doing it. The shoulders are angled so the arms come in as they move up, they're stopped at the hood though. Finally, what moron decided this figure should have only 1 articulated wrist?!? If he had 2 like POTJ Teebo, he could hold his spear in multiple ways or grasp the steering better, but NOOO! To whomever decided on only 1 articulated wrist: seriously, it's time to get off the pipe, we're all worried about you.

Accessories: 4/5
I'm counting the glider as part of the overall set, so it's not an accessory here. Therefore, this figure has 3 accessories, a spear and 2 "rock bombs" (not to be confused with Michael Bolton's hard rock career) . I've chewed bubble gum (not to be confused with Michael Bolton's adult contemporary career) stronger than this spear, but it looks good even if it has the consistency of a slightly-stale gummi bear; the stone arrowhead is painted gray, and the instructions suggest that he can hold it while flying, sounds complicated for piloting but nasty for killing - I like it!

Each rock bomb is sculpted to look like a rock with a string tied around it, the string ending in a small loop that fits on a hook under the glider steering bar. The strings are the same color as the ropes on the glider, but the rocks are painted gray and good enough to fool you into think they are separate from the string. The neatest part, the rocks are different shapes than each other and even have slightly different textures. If Hasbro had included a bow & arrow or a bolo, or better yet a STAND for the glider, it would have been a perfect score.

Overall: B+
In the beginning, I liked it... then I got horribly frustrated with the positioning of the figure on the glider... once that got settled, I liked it more than ever. It's pretty movie-accurate, but that also makes it difficult to display. For kids, some will enjoy playing with it, but others may get frustrated. For collectors, if you can figure out how to display it, it's a winner.

JediTricks
05-21-2004, 04:45 AM
JabbaJohn, in the film, there are 2 different Ewoks with gliders, the light-colored one that we got with the Complete Galaxy set, and the dark-colored one we get with this Ultra set - however, in the movie, both gliders are identical (I cued up the scene yesterday when I wrote my review just to be sure, the light-colored Ewok is the one NOT shot down).

I was going to mention the stink in my review, but it went away by the time I finished writing it (about 2 hours) so I left it out since it was such a long review anyway. ;)

Stilla, I'm a little surprised anybody would prefer the Complete Galaxy glider to this one, it has a very simple design lifted in part from the Kenner Batman line, is woefully inaccurate in every detail, the bottom isn't even sculpted fit with the look, and the back of the glider is as ugly as it could get.

I agree with ya Tycho, this ain't Warok. I really don't give a piffle who this Ewok is though, they didn't have names in the film and only a few had behind-the-scenes names, the rest are EU like how Kenner came up with "Lobot".

stillakid
05-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Stilla, I'm a little surprised anybody would prefer the Complete Galaxy glider to this one, it has a very simple design lifted in part from the Kenner Batman line, is woefully inaccurate in every detail, the bottom isn't even sculpted fit with the look, and the back of the glider is as ugly as it could get."

I'll admit it's been awhile since I've looked at the thing so my memory of the details are sketchy at best, however I prefer the use of cloth over the shiny gooey look of translucent plastic. While the new version may be more screen accurate, the cloth version lends a bit more, um reality (?) to it. I don't know how to describe it really, but I wouldn't mind and would understand the hard plastic if this were something like an UnLeashed statue, but for a toy I think that the cloth wings work better.

JediTricks
05-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Well, I think in the film, the wings are a stretched rawhide material, so on the larger scale of reality it looks like cloth but it's more similar to leather. I won't deny that the cloth version has its appeals there to me as well especially when I hadn't seen it in a while and had more of a feeling than a memory about it, but once I took it out and compared it to this Saga version and to the movie version for my review, it quickly became obvious which was superior to me. I suggest you dig yours out and give it a look with fresh eyes.

Kidhuman
05-22-2004, 10:42 AM
No problem Tycho. Your pics proved me wrong. Two :beard:'s to you for that. I was just going by pics. ANyways. The Ewok given with the glider is the same Ewok that was in the At-St with Chewie. Either Ewok that it is, doesnt matter, because it is a nice set.

Ook
05-23-2004, 11:04 AM
I picked up that Complete Galaxy Ewok set just a few months ago to add to my Ewok community. It was obvious they were a little lax in creating a (semi) new Ewok figure for that set. But now, next to the Ultra, the glider's not the only thing that looks completely chinzty! That fig looks so incredibly unrealistic next to this glider pilot (and Teebo and Logray, too). The new fig is very cool; I like the set a lot.

I hope we get Chirpa next!

Tycho
05-23-2004, 11:25 AM
A large part of the lack of Ewoks has been our own fault.

Since 1995, Hasbro listened to collectors on the web talking about the 3 SW movies and dissing on ROTJ - especially because of the Ewoks.

1996 saw the first figures from ROTJ (Han Carb, Leia Boussh, and Luke Jedi) - while Ewoks were a major theme of ROTJ - but no background aliens were really getting made then anyway.

1997 saw the first major amount of background aliens - a few of the cantina aliens, Jawas and Tuskens and stuff.

ROTJ figures then included: AT-ST Driver, Bib Fortuna, Palpatine, Han and Lando ROTJ versions, Ackbar, Weequay, Leia Slave, Royal Guard, Gamorrean, YakFace, Rancor Keeper, Nien Numb, EV9D9

It wasn't until 1998 that we saw our first Ewoks: Logray and Wicket in a 2-pack - an expensive way to go for Hasbro on highly poseable figures and individual molds - the Ugnaughts nor the Jawas were so detailed. Hasbro really might have feared the Ewoks wouldn't sell if they didn't give you a lot of value there (as we saw Teebo carded by himself later).

But wouldn't you think with ROTJ put in perspective, that the Ewoks were more essential characters to have than many of the 1997 figures we got first?

Malakali? (Rancor Keeper)
EV-9D9
YakFace (granted they were appealing to the vintage collector who missed this rare one the first time around)

But in 1998 the Ewoks never pegwarmed!

It was also in 1998 that the Complete Galaxy Glider was introduced I think - and so it was definitely with the extra Wicket pack-in with the Leia Collection figure from ROTJ.

1999 and 2000 were Prequel focused.

2001 finally saw Teebo while an Ewok army could have been better fielded, we were getting figures like Bo Shek and R2-Q5 (which I'm grateful for, but...) Now I think here is when they put Paploo out - but possibly kit-bashed (I didn't buy him) and definitely pre-posed flying on the speederbike with an AT-ST some of us didn't need (and only wanted the Ewok). So Paploo was left being able to be better serviced by Hasbro.

2002 was definitely AOTC focused.

2003 saw Teebo recarded, but if new collectors had missed him the first time, there was a greater chance they'd missed Wicket and Logray - still they were not recarded or resculpted, and there were no more Ewoks.

2004 sees this new glider guy, while rumors of Chief Chirpa, a female Ewok w. Wokling etc. are all shot down as of lately.

Warok, Chirpa, Romba, and Lumat remain vintage figures never redone for the modern collection. And Paploo remains a controversy.

It's frustrating to be an Ewok fan.

Kidhuman
05-23-2004, 11:40 AM
But in 1998 the Ewoks never pegwarmed!

It's frustrating to be an Ewok fan.

You got that right. I had to resort to a comic shop and paid 15 bucks for them.

And yes, its very frustrating to be an Ewok fan.

JediTricks
05-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Tycho, I think you're missing the main point, the majority of SW collectors don't want a bunch of Ewok figures, they really don't want an Ewok army, most of 'em probably don't like the Ewoks much at all. If Hasbro had glutted the modern line with Ewoks, it may not have made it to Episode I. Instead, they release them slowly so they don't bog down shelves, and even then the Wicket 2packs were borderline shelfwarmers. Take me for example, I don't even know where my Teebo figure is now, it's lost somewhere still on card because I never got around to making space in my collection - I don't care for Ewoks yet I still liked this Glider set enough to give it a B+, but do you think if we had several Ewok sets a year that this would have been the case? I likely wouldn't have bought this Glider.

Kidhuman
05-23-2004, 07:49 PM
I wouldnt say he wants several Ewoks a year JT, but more like I would want. Give us at least one per year. In the last 9 years we havent had that many, probably on average of 1/2 an Ewok per year. If they gave us one per year we would have all of them nnow that we want(Warok, Chirpa, Lumat etc.). A little more love for the forest creatures would be nice.

JediTricks
05-24-2004, 03:42 PM
But do you HONESTLY think there is enough GENERAL interest in the collecting community for that many Ewoks? I highly doubt the interest is there, and watching the first Wicket set become a pegwarmer didn't really improve my estimate (heck, you had 2 Ewoks for the price of 1 figure and they STILL ended up rotting on shelves).

Kidhuman
05-25-2004, 11:48 AM
I never saw them on shelves and Ilived in NYC at the time. 32 stores in 20 mil;es and no Eowks except for secondary shops. I do believe there is enough interest for them to make more. The ends justify the means.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-25-2004, 04:37 PM
I think there could be at least one a year, that's already more than we're getting. If Hasbro were smart they'd rework old ones and release them in the OTC or with Endor playsets. We'll have to see, I guess.

stillakid
05-25-2004, 10:24 PM
But do you HONESTLY think there is enough GENERAL interest in the collecting community for that many Ewoks? I highly doubt the interest is there, and watching the first Wicket set become a pegwarmer didn't really improve my estimate (heck, you had 2 Ewoks for the price of 1 figure and they STILL ended up rotting on shelves).

See, the funky thing about Ewoks is that while the ECLU (Ewok Civil Liberties Union) would tell us that all Ewoks are entitled to be considered as individuals, the idea of Ewoks only works in a group setting. So offering Ewoks on the slow drip plan doesn't really excite the casual Ewok afficienado. I think that if, say, Hasbro put out a box o' 20 of the cute furry forest creatures and market them as "the Army" or as the "Tree Dwellers," then you might see some more "general interest" as you put it. But on an individual basis, none of the Ewoks really had too distinct of personality...at least not enough to conjure up warm fuzzy memories which leads to cracking that wallet open. Except, of course, for Wicket, but aside from that exception the "Ewoks" are best enjoyed by the dozen.

plasticfetish
05-26-2004, 03:07 AM
OK. I bought another one of these to open. First up, I've gotta agree with this...

Finally, what moron decided this figure should have only 1 articulated wrist?!? If he had 2 like POTJ Teebo, he could hold his spear in multiple ways or grasp the steering better, but NOOO! To whomever decided on only 1 articulated wrist: seriously, it's time to get off the pipe, we're all worried about you.
It really amazes me about the wrist thing. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think that the person that designs the accessories is even in the same building as the person that designs the figure. How could they not see that this thing isn't going to work as well with only one articulated wrist? Obviously, the figure was done first, and then a while later they came up with the glider idea. (Or they're dumb.)

In general, I like it though. I'll admit, I'm not a huge Ewok toy fan. I have my vintage figures and I have a few modern figures -- which I gave over to "the kid" to play with -- and now I have this one. It's a fun little set. The Ewok itself is nice, the glider is much nicer (now that it's loose) than I thought it would be. The only little problem is how they fit together. Good stuff for $10 I'd say.

Hey, as far as creative ways to display it goes, some fishing line and one of those little suction cup things worked for me. (See the bad photo below.)

About this...

I think that if, say, Hasbro put out a box o' 20 of the cute furry forest creatures and market them as "the Army" or as the "Tree Dwellers," then you might see some more "general interest" as you put it.
At this point I think you're right about them needing to offer them in large (or medium) numbers. Hmmm. Just imagine if there was a fan club or something that could offer sets like this. Hmmm...

JediTricks
05-26-2004, 05:45 PM
KH, must be an area thing, they were ample around here for a while.

Stilla, the problem I foresee with that is they all have to be different figures, and collectors like Tycho will want all the previously-named ones to be represented. This is something Hasbro would be unlikely to do due to cost issues and lack of retailer interest (something we haven't even touched on here IIRC but greatly shapes what does and does not get released). Then you get the lack of second purchase issues from the figures in this boxed set all being specific characters, though this could be overcome by having mix-n-match accessories and hoods.

PF, nice job with the suction cup, I could do that with my Ultarama, but not with my "rogues & non-alligneds" section because that shelf is wood.

stillakid
05-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Stilla, the problem I foresee with that is they all have to be different figures, and collectors like Tycho will want all the previously-named ones to be represented. This is something Hasbro would be unlikely to do due to cost issues and lack of retailer interest (something we haven't even touched on here IIRC but greatly shapes what does and does not get released). Then you get the lack of second purchase issues from the figures in this boxed set all being specific characters, though this could be overcome by having mix-n-match accessories and hoods.

Maybe you missed my point. Who ever said that they'd all look the same? Hasbro can churn out 10 to 20 different individuals and instead of releasing them in a barely discernable trickle one at a time over the next decade, they drop them all in a bucket and call it a day. What about those "carded" collectors you ask? F them. They can keep the bucket shut. It's about the toys inside the packaging. It always has been. The market shouldn't be driven by the minority who insist on creating museums instead of toy boxes.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-27-2004, 04:36 PM
In my area, none of the Ewok figures have ever pegwarmed. My mom only saw Teebo once, on a rerelease Saga card, and thankfully she got it. So maybe they should release fewer to JT's area. :p

As for what I'd like to see in the way of Ewoks, well, here's a list.
*Ewok with catapult - ultra figure. Any old Ewok with a regular-sized catapult that works.
*Mother Ewok with Wokling. Pretty much self-explanatory.
*Chief Chirpa (Ewok Tribe Leader).
*The vintage Ewoks - with bow and arrows, for sure.
*Ewoks with rocks, vines, tree parts, etc.
*Many troop builder packs (like from Clone Wars)
See? They can spice things up a bit if they want.

Turbowars
05-27-2004, 05:41 PM
Man I never knew so many people hated Ewoks. I have always liked them, but I'm not a old man like some of these haters. lol

Kidhuman
05-27-2004, 11:14 PM
Ewoks ROCK!!! simple as dat.

JediTricks
05-28-2004, 02:03 AM
Stilla, I didn't see direct mention of it, but generally Hasbro likes their army builders to be the as generic as possible so they can save money on tooling and get repurchase value out of them (unless it's highly-desired like a SP Clone Trooper or Stormtrooper, then they're as rare as hen's teeth because Hasbro apparently hates money).

JabbaJohn, you're a little young to remember the collecting status around the time of the Wicket 2packs (the Ewok 2pack & the Princess Leia 2pack, released around the same time so collectors would end up with too many Wickets), right? Teebo is a different situation, Hasbro was in a major shake-up at that time with the preview figs & Saga coming, and big resource changes, so they got the last few POTJ cases shipping all messed up, around here it took like a while to find Teebo & BoShek & FX-7 & pals on shelves regularly.

Someone start a thread somewhere gauging the interest in Ewoks and/or Ewok toys, lets see how people respond. I think most folks won't care, some folks will really not want to see 'em, and some folks will want to see 'em (2 to 1 "disinterested or less vs interested" is a poor ratio if Hasbro expects to SELL these things after all ;)).

Kidhuman
05-28-2004, 08:14 AM
Someone start a thread somewhere gauging the interest in Ewoks and/or Ewok toys, lets see how people respond. I think most folks won't care, some folks will really not want to see 'em, and some folks will want to see 'em (2 to 1 "disinterested or less vs interested" is a poor ratio if Hasbro expects to SELL these things after all ;)).

Why dont we magke thagt next weeks poll topic JT? Would you like to see more Ewok related toys?

Yes
No
Doesnt Matter I am a completist and will buy whatever Hasbro makes

Or make up your own.

JediTricks
05-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about that last night when I made that challenge. Since this is a holiday this Monday, I'll probably end up doing that on Tuesday.

Kidhuman
05-29-2004, 07:05 AM
Sounds good to me Mr. D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-29-2004, 11:04 AM
JabbaJohn, you're a little young to remember the collecting status around the time of the Wicket 2packs (the Ewok 2pack & the Princess Leia 2pack, released around the same time so collectors would end up with too many Wickets), right? Teebo is a different situation, Hasbro was in a major shake-up at that time with the preview figs & Saga coming, and big resource changes, so they got the last few POTJ cases shipping all messed up, around here it took like a while to find Teebo & BoShek & FX-7 & pals on shelves regularly.
Well, I didn't really start to folow the figures too much until a few years ago (I think it was around the time of these Ewoks, actually, though I could be wrong, but I really got into it a while later). I was 8 when they came out, so it's not like I was too young to remember or anything. Anyway, I saw the Ewok pack very few times, once or twice at KB and once at a Target, but then again I didn't look for things as much as I do now. And I don't remember about the specific Leia packs, as I never got any of them so I didn't look for them either.

With Teebo, I knew more about the hobby, what was hot, what was not, etc. I never saw him other than at a collector's store for too much and a few times at C2, but I got him last year when an old case of end-of-2002 repack figures came in. I've still never seen FX-7, Bo'Shek, or any of the final POTJ figures in stores, unless they were rereleased in Saga. I got most of them one way or another, save Bo'Shek, which I still don't have (anyone?).

So anyway, in my area at least, Ewoks have usually done well (if they can get to the stores). We'll have to wait and see about the availability/pegwarming of the glider Ewok (Jabba and the Kamino sets seem to be hogging the shelves) and of the OTC release of Wicket before we see if people want more Ewoks or not.