PDA

View Full Version : Most valuable comic in your collection?

Hellboy
05-15-2004, 05:50 PM
I was looking through a price guide the other day, probably for the first time in about 2 years, and was shocked at how high some of the prices have raised on certain books. Especially some of the titles that have been made into movies like X-Men and Spiderman.

My most valuable comic book is Uncanny X-Men #94 and I was really surprised to see the $ amount of this book had raised considerably since I last checked. Even though I'll never sell this book its cool to know it's $ value and smile at my good fortune considering I paid $15 for it as a kid and its now worth about $1200.

So I thought it would be fun to find out what the most valuable comic book is in your collections and if you remember how much you paid for it compared to it's worth today?

Kidhuman
05-15-2004, 08:18 PM
I recently sold of 90% of my comics. The ones I have left are Robotech, Secret Wars and Spawn. I guess it would be Spawn #1.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Well, it has been a while since I have checked as well, so I could be wrong.

Worth the most:
probably Silver Surfer (1st series) #4

Star Wars comic worth the most:
Star Wars #107

Others:
Captain America #100
Iron Man #1
Tales of Suspense #63
Incredible Hulk #340
Amazing Spiderman #102, #135, #238
Spectacular Spiderman #1
X-Men #108, 109
Thor #134
Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters #1 :eek:

You'll notice a pattern, as I was always more of a Marvel fan. I also have some others in the medium range, as well as the obligatory dud category (I started during the mid-80s small press craze where if you had a printing press, you could indirectly be responsible for the needless deaths of millions of trees :cry: ).

B'Omarr Monkey
05-16-2004, 08:12 PM
X-Men #94- whatever would be high up there. I stopped buying the X-Men titles when they were all dead, but not really dead, they just couldn't show up on cameras, and they lived in Australia. If I couldn't make sense of a series I'd been reading since the beginning, I felt it was time to let it go, and I did.

I also have the issues of the Hulk that are the first appearances of Wolverine.

The Hulks I paid 25 cents for. Most of the X-Men I also paid cover price, though a few that I missed I paid as much as $6.00 for. I only missed them because I bought them back in the days that they may or may not have shown up at a newsstand or drugstore. There were no comic book stores then.

I haven't seen a recent guide but I know they're up there.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have a complete set of U.S. 1, that I doubt I could get a buck for.

Rocketboy
05-16-2004, 08:56 PM
I haven't checked prices lately, but a few that I know of that may be worth something (some issue #s may be wrong):
Marvel Star Wars #3
Uncanny X-Men #244 - 1st appearance of Jubilee
New Mutants Annual #2 - 1st appearance of Psylocke (as the blonde Betsy Braddock)
Uncanny X-Men #201 - 1st appearance of Cable (as a baby)

Anyone have a Wizard and can tell me how much they're worth?

Hellboy
05-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Here you go Rocketboy :)

Marvel Star Wars #3 -----$20.00
Uncanny X-Men #244 ----$17.00
New Mutants Annual #2 -$9.00
Uncanny X-Men #201 ----$18.00

Rocketboy
05-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Wow, last I checked (which was a few years ago) they were quite a bit higher.
I guess the market in comics has dropped a lot.
Doesn't matter, I don't plan on selling them anytime soon anyway.

Remember when Superman #75 was in the $50-100 range? :)

Thanks Hellboy.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Wow, last I checked (which was a few years ago) they were quite a bit higher.
I guess the market in comics has dropped a lot.
Doesn't matter, I don't plan on selling them anytime soon anyway.

Remember when Superman #75 was in the $50-100 range? :)

I remember several books, of which some I own, that were "hot" back when. Here are some of mine:

Most Punisher books (appearances in Amazing Spiderman, Daredevil)
TMNT (Mirage B & W)
Batman Years 1, 2, & 3
Longshot appearances
Green Arrow: Longbow Hunters
"New" Captain America (#332+)
Cloak and Dagger appearances

Etc. etc.

Sigh. :bored:

Hellboy
05-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Yeah I know what you guys are saying about what certain comics used to go for. Anybody remember Valiant? everything they produced for a while was red hot, now you could pick most of that stuff up in a bargain bin.

I remember when G.I. JOE was the "hot" book back when I was a wee lad. The second issue was the toughest book in the series to find and was going for twice what the first issue was. Now it's not worth much but I sure remember feeling pretty good about having it back then.

BTW, one of the few comics I bought and actually sold for a profit was Iron Man #1. Bought it mint for $60 and sold it for $320 about 3 years later. Today it goes for about $560. I needed the $ at the time but to this day I regret having to sell that one. :cry: I was reminded of that after reading your post Bel-Cam.

dr_evazan22
05-20-2004, 06:17 PM
I just sold Amazing Spider-Man 30 for $100 on eBay. I think that I paid around $25 for it about 15 years ago.

sith_killer_99
05-20-2004, 07:09 PM
My most valuable comic is "Amazing Fantasy #15"! :eek:

JK, lol :D

Dr Zoltar
05-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Well gosh dang it! My post on this topic from yesterday seems to have vanished into cyberspace!

I just picked up the new Overstreet Price guide becuase I'm going to be selling some of my old stock of comics I don't have room for (X-Men, Spider-Man, etc.). Seems the first few issues of GI Joe are still going for somewhere in the $20-$35 range. They must be increasing in value due to the success of the new series.

I have a few comics in the $30-$50 range -- one from an independent press called I, Lusiphur (now known as Poison Elves), GI Joe, X-Men, the WTC issue of Spider-Man. I have some in the $20 range like Powers #1 and Y: The Last Man #1.

I have some comics that aren't worth much but I don't think I could ever part with. I love my full set of Cloak & Dagger comics as well as Starman (both the 80's and 90's version).

I don't think I have anything worth over $100, but I might have a hidden treasure somewhere.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-22-2004, 08:53 AM
My most valuable comic is "Amazing Fantasy #15"! :eek:

JK, lol :D
And I have the Spiderman Tales #138, with the same story in it as AF #15. I figure, that one's gotta be worth at least 5-10% of the value. Let's see...

$35,000 (give or take)
X .05 (I'll be conservative)
_______ (carry the 2... )
I have a $1750 comic! Yes! :greedy: :crazed:

I sold my entire GI Joe set (1-80, up to that time all the Yearbooks, Special Missions, Digests, etc.) for a price I am ashamed to admit (although I have said so in previous threads... stupid panicking Bel-Cam :frus: ). I do have Transformers 1-50ish with vs. GI Joe, Handbook (or whatever the character list/description was called), Headmasters, etc. and they weren't much when I last checked. Maybe they've raised. Let's here it for nostalgia having a dollar amount! :rolleyes:

BTW, here are some of my "Hot" or "Scarce" or "Rare" or "Limit One" comics from the small press explosion of '85 or so. Not so good now, eh?

The Realm
Grendel
Adventurers
Miami Mice
Fish Police
Elementals
Star Blazers
TMNT (these might still have value, but I doubt they're still $100+ each)
Elflord
Shuriken
Usagi Yojimo
Lone Wolf & Cub
Boris the Bear
Concrete

And many others I am even more ashamed to admit that I own. But then again, don't we all have bombs and 'oops!' comics? Could be a new thread (or I'll dig up the old one in here)...

jjreason
05-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Hoo boy. This topic would make my wife spit venom. I have a copy of X-Men #1 - yes, that one. Mine's about a 7/10, so likely worth half of the 10,500 she guides for these days. To see a partial scan, click on my username - it's my bigger profile pic.

I have a complete run of "modern" Uncanny X-Men, starting at #94 and including Giant Size X-Men #1. Both of those books are currently fetching over $1000 a pop in near mint.

I have various other 12cent Marvels, but no other real key books (Silver Surfer #2, Amazing Spidey #32, etc).

Comics and me go way back.

Exhaust Port
05-22-2004, 09:54 AM
The only comic I every really bought as a kid was the TMNT series up to the point where Eastman and Laird stopped drawing it. I have the first edition for each except for #1 and #2 and I believe (it's been a while since I looked) I have second editions of each of those. I also collected every other comic that had an appearance of the TMNT including Pre-Teen Blue Jean Kangaroos #1 or something along those lines.

I remember the value on all of the TMNT stuff was steadily rising for quite a while but then stopped. A few years ago I looked at a guide out of curiosity and saw that the value of all of them had dropped right back down to what it was when I bought them. I bought #6 for $5 back in the late 80's and I think it's right back there now. Adjust for inflation and it's worth even less. It doesn't really matter, I bought them to read not retire off of.

Anyone know anything about Gobbledygook #1 put out by Mirage Studios? I have a copy of this one and I've seen it's price listed as either $450 or $5. I'm assuming that there was a different edition with the same numbering or something that leads to the price difference. I'm curious how I could tell which one I have.

Dr Zoltar
05-22-2004, 11:48 AM
Anyone know anything about Gobbledygook #1 put out by Mirage Studios?
Sorry Exhaust Port. According the the new Overstreet Guide it's only worth $5.

Any one remember back in the 80's and 90's how some comic titles would have the word "collectable" on them (or the poly bag they were in)? No better way to guarantee it would never increase in value.

Exhaust Port
05-22-2004, 05:26 PM
Sorry Exhaust Port. According the the new Overstreet Guide it's only worth $5.
Doing some online research it seems that there was an original and then a reprint. The original Gobbledygook is the one going for $450 but the reprint is the $5. I don't know what the difference is but I guess that answered my question. I guess at some point I'll have to dig it out and see if I have the orginal or reprint.

Rocketboy
05-22-2004, 10:42 PM
I just remembered I have some fairly early printings of some Milk & Cheese comics (damn, I miss them!). At one point some of them were in the $40-50 range.

Kidhuman
05-22-2004, 10:55 PM
I just sold Amazing Spider-Man 30 for $100 on eBay. I think that I paid around $25 for it about 15 years ago.

When I sold mine, I sold them on Ebay around the time the first Spidey Movie came out. I had a lot of about 98 Amazing Spideys in it and it sold for around 250. I also sold Tranformers 1-72 for about 80 bucks. I wish I would of held on to my Marvel Star Wars comics though.

Dr Zoltar
05-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Doing some online research it seems that there was an original and then a reprint. The original Gobbledygook is the one going for $450 but the reprint is the $5. I don't know what the difference is but I guess that answered my question. I guess at some point I'll have to dig it out and see if I have the orginal or reprint.
My bad. You're right. There was one printed in 1984 which is worth $450 mint. The reprint was done in 1986 and is only worth $5. Guess that teaches me to skim books so quickly...

mastermatt24
06-08-2004, 04:17 PM
My most valuable comic would have to be my signed Star Wars Dark Empire #3. It's signed by Mark Hamill and Dave Dorman, and I bought it on eBay for $2.50. I couldve bought the other signed DE's but shipping was way to much. (5 bucks a comic and he wouldn't combine) Can anyone tell me how much this is worth? :D Thanks

El Chuxter
06-08-2004, 04:31 PM
It's almost impossible to figure the value of an autographed comic book. I hate to say it, but your best bet is probably looking on eBay or in local comic shops for how much similar comics are selling for.

jjreason
06-13-2004, 03:40 AM
A certificate of authenticity (like the ones Dynamic Forces usually love to include with their stuff) would help a great deal. Autographs, if they can't be verified, are usually only really worth anything to the person who got there and had the chance to meet the star. To anyone else, it's just writing on a comic - which is really a fatal flaw in terms of grading (dropping your book from NM to VG prices in about 0.2 seconds).

Hellboy
06-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Yeah Reason you're right about the value dropping on signed books for the most part. I only have a handful of these comics but I knew when I had them signed that I'd be keeping them forever. Some of the signatures are pretty hard to make out but at least I have some of my favorite books autographed by their creators. 2 of my favorites are Frank Miller and Chris Claremont.

mastermatt24
06-13-2004, 06:00 PM
I have the certificate, and you can make Mark Hamil, but Dave Dorman's is prefect.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-13-2004, 07:13 PM
I remember way back when I worked at a comic book store and we had a customer who bought a copy of Fantastic Four #1 for a huge amount of money, then went out and got Jack Kirby and Stan Lee to sign it, and was horrified to learn that he had actually decimated the value of the comic by doing that. He had bought it as an investment, figuring he'd amke a fortune by having the signatures added.

I laughed.

After he left the store.

Dr Zoltar
06-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Funny how a comic signed can do that. Almost everything I have signed is just for my personal collection. I gave up buying comics for an investment almost 10 years ago. Having a signed comic is a nice momento of meeting the artist, writer or creator.

Some of my favorites are Powers #1 signed by Brian Bendis and Y: The Last Man #1 signed by Pia G and JG Jones.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2004, 06:33 AM
Yeah, I know all too well about the "decimated value" story. I had Weird Al Yankovic sign my cassette tape's cover of In 3-D thinking I could retire in style (you know: monogramed Kleenex by the ton, bathtub filled with Perrier, filet mignon seven times a day, etc.), but sadly, it did not happen.

The shame haunts me to this day. In fact, I have never had a comic signed by anyone, perhaps due to this unfortunate lapse in judgment of my part. (Or the fact that I have never had a comic with me when I've been around an artist or writer :ermm: )

p.s. This post is my patriotically-related 1776th one.

jjreason
06-14-2004, 11:04 AM
I have a few signed books, mostly of the "authenticated" variety - John Romita Jr, Frank Miller, and the artist of Uncanny X-Men 193 (the 100th issue of the "new" Uncanny - though that guy's not even worthy of me remembering his name apparently).

If I had the chance to meet Stan, I'd have him sign my X-Men #1. I have no intention of selling the book, and I'd try pretty hard to get someone to take a picture of the meeting with the book for proof, but it would be well worth any detriment to the value of that book to meet Stan the Man and have his signature on one of the formative books of the Marvel Age! The whole point is: some things transcend money. I can see why that guy who bought the FF#1 would choose to get it signed (though I'd be pretty damned sure about where they signed it and what they used to do so).

Of interest on this topic: CGC is now authenicating signatures as well - at some shows you can wait to have your book signed and then submit it directly to them for grading. The signature is witnessed, and the book goes in a special holder with a notation that the signature is on there and witnessed. Problem is, if you don't get the creator to sign the cover, you'll never see it again unless you pop the book.

JON9000
06-14-2004, 12:23 PM
I think e-bay is a more reliable indicator than overstreet, unless the the overstreet prices roughly correspond to the actual auction results. My experience has been that auction prices are usually less than overstreet.

I have a copy of Giant Size X-Men #1 that I bought in the early 90's. It's in decent condition. No tears or anthing, but it has spine stress and small creases on the corners. Sometimes I wonder if it is worth grading.

jjreason
06-14-2004, 12:43 PM
My unsolicited opinion - probably not. Now here's why. GS #1 is one of the most highly submitted books to the CGC so far. Many, many copies have been returned with ungodly high grades (quite a few 9.8s and possibly some 9.9s along with numerous 9.6s). The book would likely sell for a very similar price as an ungraded F/VF or VF copy as it would graded an 8.0 or 7.5 - as long as you added detailed scans to your ebay auction (should you choose to sell).

If you go to CGC's website, you can check the "census" for the book (that's the name of the link, then you search for the title) to see how many have been returned in which grades. Ebay, as you say, would be your best indicator to compare graded sales to ungraded for books like yours. Good luck.

El Chuxter
06-14-2004, 12:55 PM
I don't believe I've actually answered this question yet. :)

I have an autographed copy of Spider-Man #1, which at one point I saw selling for around $1000. I can't possibly imagine it was ever worth that, though.

I've got a lot of first appearances from the 1970s (Guy Gardner, Ghost Rider, Luke Cage, Iron Fist) that may be quite valuable now, though I'm not sure as I haven't checked on them in a long time.

First printings of most of the later issues of Transformers and GIJoe are, despite what I believed when I bought them ages ago, worth a lot of money due to their teeny-tiny print runs. I don't have GIJoe #155 (the final and most valuable issue), but Transformers #80 was about the same price last I checked. Pretty funny, methinks, though I imagine it's a "Valiant/Image" type of over-valuation and they'll all drop down into the $10-$20 range within a few years.

However, the most valuable comic I have is, without question, Uncanny X-Men #244. Cash value, very low. Importance in the history of comicdom, totally incalculable, y'know? ;) :cool:

B'Omarr Monkey
06-14-2004, 11:41 PM
I agree with you, JJ, about getting a comic signed for its personal value to you. I'd consider getting something like GS X-MEN signed by Stan Lee (maybe I'd get him to sign something I could put with it. I might never want to sell it, but after I kick the bucket, my surviving family mebers might want to). My point about the guy with FF#1, was that he was a fancy-pants speculator, who saw that those guys were going to be at a convention, or some place, and figured he's make a quick turnaround on his investment. He deserved to get burned.

By the way, Stan's a real nice guy. He even held the door for me once when I was visiting a friend of mine who used to work at Marvel. I didn't get to hear him say "Excelsior, true believer," but in the men's room, he did say "Face front, pilgrim." to someone who suddenly noticed him standing at the adjacent urinal. ;)

darthdeogg
06-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Marvel Star Wars #1 (signed by Roy Thomas and Howard Chaykin)
GI Joe #155
Robotech Macross #1

And probably still the king of my crop:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (1st Print)

B'Omarr Monkey
06-22-2004, 12:35 AM
I gave away my copy of TMNT #1, because I thought it was about the most poorly written and drawn comic that I read. I have no regrets about doing it. I've met Kevin Eastman and he's an extremely nice guy, but my opinion about the comic remains unchanged.

I don't even want to know what that issue is worth now, so don't tell me.

jjreason
06-22-2004, 03:17 PM
"Face front, Pilgrim!" is just so Stan Lee, I've been chuckling about it since I read your post! I walked by the Marvel office when I visited NYC back in 1998, but I didn't get the chance to go in (read: my wife dragged me away by the ear) as we were on our way to the Empire State Building. I'd really like to go in there someday, just for whatever nickel tour I could scrounge up. I think I'm going to have to make the pilgrimmage to meet Stan at a show some time, maybe he'll come to Seattle. I think I'd choose a 12c Spidey book for the signature, he's the hero that resonates with me the most of all Stan's creations.

JON9000
06-25-2004, 11:36 AM
My unsolicited opinion - probably not. Now here's why. GS #1 is one of the most highly submitted books to the CGC so far. Many, many copies have been returned with ungodly high grades (quite a few 9.8s and possibly some 9.9s along with numerous 9.6s). The book would likely sell for a very similar price as an ungraded F/VF or VF copy as it would graded an 8.0 or 7.5 - as long as you added detailed scans to your ebay auction (should you choose to sell).

If you go to CGC's website, you can check the "census" for the book (that's the name of the link, then you search for the title) to see how many have been returned in which grades. Ebay, as you say, would be your best indicator to compare graded sales to ungraded for books like yours. Good luck.

You wouldn't happen to have a link would ya?

jjreason
06-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Okay, here we go.

www.cgccomics.com/poplookup/ (http://)

For whatever reason, the link doens't work for me unless I copy and paste into my browser - then it gets me there.

I did some quick searches on there: both GS X-Men 1 and Hulk 181 have been submitted nearly 2000 times each!!! There are only a few 9.8s for each, and only one 9.9 (on a Hulk 181 - imagine holding that book these days! :greedy: ). From what I understand, these 2 are the most commonly submitted books to the CGC, because there are many, many high grade copies out there.

OC47150
07-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Punisher #1. I was the best man at my buddy's wedding, and the comic was part of the gifts to the best man, groomsmen and ushers.