PDA

View Full Version : Future of Harry Potter

Exhaust Port
05-16-2004, 10:39 AM
Last night on the local news they ran a small segment regarding JK Rowling and Harry Potter. They said that she announced that the HP story won't end with the originally planned 7 books (was it 7?) but she now plans on continuing to write a book or books covering Harry as an adult.

I've looked online and haven't found any mention of this. Anyone else have a link to a real news article?

Do you think they'll continue to make those books into movies? I don't see why not but I doubt that the current cast will care to spend the rest of their lives making these movies. Look how many James Bond's we've seen.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Well, a couple things. I don't know if Harry Potter as an adult would do half as well as they do now. It would be weird, "Harry Potter and the Boring Desk Job." I can't see it.

Second, if the current main cast doesn't want to do more (or even finish the current 7) then I don't really want them to be done. I already know Daniel Radcliffe has signed on for Goblet of Fire, and I hope the others do too. I already don't like how they recast the Gryffindor Fat Lady painting as a different actress, so I'd like it even less if Ron or Herminoe were.

evenflow
06-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Well, a couple things. I don't know if Harry Potter as an adult would do half as well as they do now. It would be weird, "Harry Potter and the Boring Desk Job." I can't see it.

Second, if the current main cast doesn't want to do more (or even finish the current 7) then I don't really want them to be done. I already know Daniel Radcliffe has signed on for Goblet of Fire, and I hope the others do too. I already don't like how they recast the Gryffindor Fat Lady painting as a different actress, so I'd like it even less if Ron or Herminoe were.

I have to agree with what you said. I really don't see why they wouldn't want to do all 7. I mean they would obviously make some serious cash.

Exhaust Port
06-02-2004, 11:39 AM
James Bond is a series that has continue to succeed with numerous recastings over the years so why couldn't Harry Potter be similar? I'll agree though that I would prefer to see the same actors portray the characters throughout the movies but that is up to them whether they'll do that. Being that the books are 1 year installments in the life of the characters it puts unprecedented pressure on the movie shoot schedules. These "kids" would be signing up to spend 7 years of their lives doing this. I can only imagine how difficult that would be to swallow.

SW has been pretty successful even with there being 6 movies but those have been spread over nearly 30 years. HP would be 7 movies over roughly 8 or 9 years. Would the enthusiasum continue when we hit movie 5 or 6? There was enough time between SW movies to create desire for the next movie. By getting a HP movie every year fans might get complacient or end up drawing only those that are fans of the books rather than your average casual movie go-er.

El Chuxter
06-02-2004, 03:15 PM
This is the only mention I've ever heard of this. I wonder if it's maybe like the supposed Episodes VII-IX of Star Wars, where (according to Lucas, at least) something got misquoted or poorly reported somewhere?

Darth Jax
06-02-2004, 09:00 PM
i'd read it in the entertainment weekly with chris rock on the cover (think it was sometime in april) that it was not certain the series would end after the 7th year of school.

i think that as the books become darker and more adult themed the movies will actually do better. kids will continue to want to see them, but with more of a storyline involved adults will be interested as well. i know thats the case with me. i had no desire to see the first 2 films (only saw them long after they were released on DVD). but i'm looking forward to seeing #3 at the theater. if the central cast were to change i'd be done with them though.

jjreason
06-02-2004, 11:58 PM
I've grown an immense affinity for Harry. I'll continue to read as long as she's writing the stories. To me, the movies are only an interesting chance to see how someone else interprets the books visually - I could care less if they make any more at all. That being said, I'd like to see the main players continue on in the roles if they can at all manage it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Also, if Alonso Cuaron messes this one up too much, they need to either get someone else like Chris Columbus, or stop the series. Granted, it looks really good from what I've seen so far, but some parts look dumb. For instance, the shrunken head on the Knight Bus that tells jokes and the Gryffindor Fat Lady screaming, hitting a mirror on something to break it, and saying "Amazing!" And some housekeeping lady in the Leaky Cauldron (maybe?) saying "I'll come back later." I mean, these things are small, but Chris Columbus was so faithful to the books that the movies came off really well. So maybe he spoiled us!

Actually, on a special on A&E, they had some scenes from Azkaban, and Dumbledore looks great. Michael Gambon seems to be a better fit for Dumbledore than Richard Harris, rest his old soul. But this new one seems a lot more like the fun headmaster from the books than some old fogey that only gives a small bit of advice.

El Chuxter
06-03-2004, 05:46 PM
I saw the same special, along with the bio of Rowling. She hinted that the final chapter of Book VII--which is written already (the chapter, not necessarily the whole book)--is the end of the road.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-14-2008, 01:09 PM
I got an email update from a bookseller that says (I have to type it in... won't let me copy & paste):

The Tales of the Beedle Bard is scheduled to be released on December 4, 2008 and is now available for pre-order.

It contains all five wizarding fairy tales left to Hermione Granger by Albus Dumbledore in the seventh and final book in the Harry Potter series. Only one, The Tale of the Three Brothers is recounted in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The other four are revealed here for the very first time.

I will probably get it, mainly to donate it to my school's library after reading it.

El Chuxter
08-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Funny, I pre-ordered Beedle along with those two textbooks that have been out for a while, and look forward to them. Any more Potterverse stuff by Rowling is must-have in my, uh, book.