PDA

View Full Version : These figures were NEVER MADE BEFORE - appreciating what we have thus far

Tycho
05-17-2004, 08:33 PM
As Classic Star Wars stands incomparable to anything in the new collection - there is one of many reasons that come to my mind as to why, but this one stands above all others as the most exciting for me:

we've gotten at least 59 figures that were never made before. The original line by Kenner had only 102 characters made in it total, and we are still approaching that number of modern figures for the never-made-before characters alone right now!

These are some of the best reasons for those of us Old Schoolers to collect Classic Star Wars now:

Admiral Motti
Aunt Beru
Biggs Darklighter
B'Omarr Monk
Bo Shek
Bubo the Frog-Dog
Captain Antilles -Blockade Runner Commander
Captain Piett
Chewbacca as Boussh's Bounty
Darth Vader Dagobah
Darth Vader Removeable Helmet
Djas Puhr
Dr. Evazan
Dutch Vander - Gold Leader
Ephant Mon
Ewok - new, un-named and unknown (w. Glider)
Figrin'Dan - Cantina Band Member(s)
Garindan
General Dodonna
General Rieeken
Grand Moff Tarkin
Han Solo AT-ST Driver Disguise
Han Solo Stormtrooper Disguise
Imperial Dignitary Janus Greetus
Imperial Dignitary Kren Blista Whoever
Ishi Tibb
Jek Porkins
J'Quille - Whipid
K-3PO
Kabe
Kitik Keed Kak - Cantina Patron
Lak Sivrak
Labrina - Cantina Patron
Luke Skywalker Dagobah Training
Luke Skywalker Hologram - Jabba's Palace
Luke Skywalker - Yavin Ceremony
Mon Calamari Officer
Mon Mothma - Rebel Leader
Muftak
Nabrum Leids - 4-armed Cantina Patron
Obi-Wan Kenobi - Spirit of
Oola
Pote Snitkin
Princess Leia Bespin Escape
Princess Leia Ewok Celebration
Princess Leia Jabba's Slave
Princess Leia Yavin Ceremony
R1-G4
R2-D2 Bartender
R-3PO
R4-M9 w. MOUSE DROID
Rebel Fleet Trooper
Sandtrooper
Takeel - Cantina Snivvian
Tanus Spijek - Elom
Uncle Owen
Wedge Antilles
Wuher, Cantina Bartender
Yoda - Spirit of

There are still a lot of Classic Characters they have never made before, even some of the principle heroes and villains, but we've gotten far more than I'd ever expected back in 1995 and before.

B'Omarr Monkey
05-17-2004, 09:39 PM
This is the reason I've kept collecting all these years. I bought the original waves in '95 more or less because I still had all my vintage figures and thought it would be cool to put the updated ones with them. At the time, I wasn't even up in arms about the beefier versions of the characters, since the vintage line also took license with their appearances (Luke w/Yellow hair? Greedo's jumpsuit?) I never expected the line to go past the core essential 11 figures or so. Little did I know I'd still be collecting now.

When characters like the sandtrooper and Tarkin got made, I was excited to see some previously unmade faces, but over the last five years or so, it seems more and more that anything is possible. All those weird blink-and-you'll-miss-them characters that I crave, like Wioslea and CZ-3, seem like they could actually get made as action figures.

R1-G4 was one of the characters I most wanted to see and never expected to see. He/she/it's been on my wish list since I started one around 1997. Between R1-G4, R4-M9, and Wol Caba****e, I've seen many figures I've hoped for, but never expected. For that, Hasbro has my thanks.

Now if they'll only get to the rest.

Kidhuman
05-17-2004, 09:40 PM
That we have Tycho. I am happy that in the POTF2 line we got alot of these figures. Even in the Saga line. Hasbro has been doing these unmade Characters some justice. Like you said, there is probably double or even triple the number of figures you listed yet to be made. BUt at least we are getting them. Slow and steady wins the race.

amidalak
05-17-2004, 09:43 PM
given that list, it is amazing how much complaining has been done about the modern line. now, that's not to say that there aren't things to complain about, but when it comes to diversity of characters, it seems we don't have much of a complaint. yes, there are characters we would love to see, but i never thought that we would see a fat, ugly bartender in plastic!

stillakid
05-17-2004, 09:55 PM
As I was cracking Ozzel open today, I looked at the rest of my shipment from KEBco and only then realized that every single one of them was a figure from the OT. No wonder I was so happy. I didn't even realize it. Crazy huh?

But I've continually been surprised at what Hasbro puts out. I remember suggesting early on in AOTC time that we'd never see any of the youngling kids, but lo and behold, out they came! I vaguely understand why Hasbro continues to churn out core characters but it's nice to see so much effort going into the secondary figures.

Tycho
05-18-2004, 03:01 AM
You know Stillakid, they did a decent job with Episode 2's extras as well as Ep. 1's.

Ep. 1's real "extras" were:

Ric Olee
Chancellor Valorum
Boss Nass
Gasgano w. Pitdroid
Ki Adi Mundi
Mace Windu
Naboo Royal Security
Naboo Royal Guard
Adi Gallia
Ody Mandrell w. Pitdroid
R2-B1
TC-14
Sio Bibble
Mas Ameedas
Teemto Pagales
Lott Dodd
Orm Free Taa
Depa Billaba
Oppo Rancisis
Even Piel
Plo Koon
SaeSee Tiin
Eeth Koth
Yarael Poof
Senator Graxxol
Shaaka
Aurra Sing
Red R2 Unit w. Starship
Fode and Beed

Episode 2's "non-essentials" included

Elan Sleezebagano
Twi'Lek from Outlander
Lt. Faytooni
Ack Med Beq
Waitress Droid
Coleman Trebor
Shaak-Ti
Sirch Fi Ek (Nikto Jedi)
Aayla Secura
Kit Fisto
Bariss Offee
Luminara Undulli
R3-T7
Bail Organa
Geonosian Massif Handler
Shu Mai
Wat Tambor
San Hill
Passal Argnete
Ashla
Jempa
Chian
Jedi Analysis Droids
Geonosian Pilot
Rodian Jedi
Human Jedi
TwiLek Jedi

And there are probably more I'm forgetting, but the E2 figures were more various, detailed, and impressive.

They could have done better with E1 by creating more of the various Podracers.

The Senate still beckons with lots of possibilities.

Tycho
05-18-2004, 03:05 AM
These figures don't beg the demand for them that the Classic Era extras do for one simple reason - we've all been waiting for over 20 years for a good figure of an Arcona from the Cantina, or Biggs in his uniform from the Lost Scenes.

No matter how much any of you want all of Padme's wardrobe changes created for the collection, or to get Senator Tiikes, Yarua, or Sly Moore as figures, you can't have possibly been waiting more than 4 years or so for these figures, since these characters didn't exist in your knowledge prior to 1999 or 2002 for AOTC ones.

evenflow
05-18-2004, 07:51 AM
Give me a Yarna Da'l Gargan and I will be happy.

dindae
05-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Hey Tycho you left off the pack ins.

Red leader
Scanning crew member
Dack Ralter
IT-O interigation droid.

stillakid
05-18-2004, 10:25 AM
I'm still waiting for a mint carded Midichlorian. :D

Tycho
05-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Hey Tycho you left off the pack ins.

Red leader
Scanning crew member
Dack Ralter
IT-O interigation droid.

Hmmm. There were even more to be sure, but do these figures really count?

I'm not picking bones with your post. I appreciate your own appreciation of getting these figures. Everything new and unique helps. However...

Red Leader's figure really sucks. They used a tiny Luke body while he was a larger man (not Porkins size mind you, but more like Biggs' frame). The face and helmet could have been improved, even removeable helmet - no. I did not want the "over-sized X-wing messing up my fleet proportions," and I didn't want this poor substitute for a Garven Dreis figure. I still think a re-do carded figure of Dreis needs to be done.

Scanning Crew Member - ok - I'll give you him. Looks like Hasbro is actually going to be carding him for the OTC. So he's really going to count as a figure. Many suggested Hasbro made him up by adding vintage Imperial Officers' heads to the AT-ST Drivers' bodies. I did that custom style by ways of buying the figures in 2nd hand deals. I didn't want the Falcon carry-cases. They were worthless, though I went for 3 of them when I had to have Wedge (and that was the original way he was available). I gave the empty cases away to a kid in the dealer's store to store his figures, since all I wanted and had space for was Wedge.

Dack...hmmm. I was with John Morton at Comic Con and we went looking for his figure. He liked it. But I'm not sure he was as up-to-date with how good the sculpting could be these days. Not to mention that although time has been kind to the modern-day young Rogue Squadron pilot, you can't compare the figure to the actor 23 years later, and say they should look alike. Plus John's keeping his boxed as a collectible (yeah, he bought one - that was cool actually) - and Dack is in the back of the snowspeeder in the box - so you can't really tell. I did not buy a set myself even at numerous opportunities: I liked the launching harpoon on snowspeeders, and a carded Dack with removeable helmet would impress me more. Also though I didn't mention it to John, I didn't need a "dead character" in my collection. My Hoth display features a '96 Luke, head turned away, as dead in my downed snowspeeder cockpit in my Battle of Hoth diorama. The same figure portrays Luke - getting out of the front seat to avoid the crushing blow of the AT-AT. You have to know a lot about Star Wars' b-characters, and really look into the diorama and back of the cockpit, to really tell it's the same or a different pilot figure. To me, that wasn't worth $30 for the off chance that it would bother somebody else that "that's not Dack in there."

I honestly don't think we even need a carded Dack. Hobbie and Jansen, yes. Dack and Zev Senesca, no.

The interogation droid and even the MOUSE DROID seem to really be more glorified accessories, but they are "characters" of sorts I suppose.

dindae
05-18-2004, 12:30 PM
Sorry Tycho I thought you were just listing all never before made figures.

stillakid
05-18-2004, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I don't see why packaging unfairly segregates a bona fide figure into the realm of "accessory"? Who cares what cardboard box it comes in. Once free of the bonds of plastic and wire, each "character" is as much an action figure as the next.

Why the difference? :confused:

Tycho
05-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Actually I want to list them all and probably forgot a few.

Had to qualify why I don't really count those. As wouldn't you want Red Leader resculpted? Does the Y-wing Pilot pack-in count as Tiree?

Or do they need to be carded, boxed, labled, and finalized as who they are supposed to represent?

Who else did I forget?

Any on the intial list that really need a resculpt?

How much of that great list do all of you really appreciate as to "why you collect Star Wars?" or would just the Lukes, Hans, and Leias have satisfied you (if they never made Uncle Owen)?

stillakid
05-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Actually I want to list them all and probably forgot a few.

Had to qualify why I don't really count those. As wouldn't you want Red Leader resculpted? Does the Y-wing Pilot pack-in count as Tiree?

Or do they need to be carded, boxed, labled, and finalized as who they are supposed to represent?

Who else did I forget?

Any on the intial list that really need a resculpt?

How much of that great list do all of you really appreciate as to "why you collect Star Wars?" or would just the Lukes, Hans, and Leias have satisfied you (if they never made Uncle Owen)?

I'd like to see them all made. Sure, we can skip over the third extra from the left and even Ice Cream Maker Guy isn't really a priority. But having just the very core characters without the rest of the menagarie would have been a letdown.

As far as proper ID's go, when we get into pilots and other assorted officers, I'm not sure that it's really that important to have dead balls on likenesses. I'm sure the actors would disagree :cool: but I'm willing to call a generic pilot Tiree if Hasbro says so. Particularly if the odds are that they won't really revisit Tiree ever again.

But the Mouse Droid and Beru's service droid are figures unto the themselves. No?