PDA

View Full Version : Most proud of finding?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2001, 05:09 PM
There were several "hard-to-find" figures in the POTF2 line. Which one(s) were the hardest/most satisfying to finally get?

For me, I'd go with either R2 w/holo Leia or DV: Removable Helmet. R2 because it took about 1 1/2 yers, and Vader 'cause it was at retail instead of several collectible shops that had it for $20.

bigbarada
08-19-2001, 05:37 PM
I found Ree-Yees and the Death Star Trooper for $2 each at the Army Post Exchange on Ft. Hood; along with a Han w/ TaunTaun for $14. This was around Christmas time 1998.

Patience really paid off in my search for Artoo with Holo Leia as just a few months ago I scored two of them!

Although Darth Vader with Removable Helmet is the best of my stories since I got him at KB for FREE!! I was browsing the Star Wars aisle and saw a "Buy 1, Get 1 FREE" sign. I immediately looked down and saw Lak Sivrak and snatched him up when lo' and behold there was a Rem. Helm. Vader just underneath him!

Of course, it could be argued that I bought the Vader and got Lak for free, but the story sounds so much better this way.;)

the master jedi
08-19-2001, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't call this a proud find but I'm glad I won the Lego R2-D2 from Target.

Starfig873
08-19-2001, 09:33 PM
I'm proud to own the mynock hunt 3-pack.

I got it through the fan-club but I also had to buy the Jabba's Dancers 3-Pack, but I already owned it...which was a small problem for the MH3pack.

matt_ox
08-19-2001, 11:02 PM
I picked up the Vader with removable helmet too for retail. Shortly before it I saw Captain Piett but I didn't get it. Dawg...I'm an idiot.

humsup
08-19-2001, 11:07 PM
I picked up a couple of EU Mara Jade at 1/2 its retail (scalper) price just a couple of weeks ago and I've since been smiling till today.

TeeEye7
08-20-2001, 06:17 AM
I would have to say brown vest Jedi Luke was the coolest find in our collection. My wife brought it home one day, not knowing its desireability. I think that's the most satisfying find in our POTF2 hunting :) !

Grif
08-20-2001, 08:39 AM
An AT-AT at KB Toys for $30 and was $90!

Mandalorian Candidat
08-20-2001, 10:10 AM
I remember missing out on the Mynock Hunt in March of 2000 during that big TRU clearance sale. I almost kicked this one scalper guy's butt because he grabbed practically all the units and left the other buyers with jacksquat. A couple of months later I found two at a TRU and got one free because there was a buy 1, get 1 sale at KB and they matched the sale for me. I ended up paying $5 all together.

QLD
08-20-2001, 10:31 AM
I found a R2 w/Leia at Wal-Mart, and also I found a Jedi Luke at Family Dollar for 2.99.

GNT
08-21-2001, 02:47 AM
Commtech Stormtrooper

It took me forever to find one searching all the toy stores and going to toy fairs,now I have an army and god darn proud of it!

KiValleyTiger
08-21-2001, 04:58 PM
I'm a late collector, so I wasn't able to find POTF2 wave 1-4 easily. Also the prices for those OCs at the comic stores are about $10-$15 each. So, I was on my vacation to Indonesia and went to a toy store since my son wants go get something, I was thrilled to see a wall full of old SW figures. Plus, the price is about $3 each. The cards are not mint, C8-9. But who cares with that price. I was able to get most of those wave and also the SOTE 2 pack with BF & IG88. Too bad there is no exciting variation, the only one worth mentioning is Han in Carbonite with Carbonite Freezing Chamber sticker are plenty over there.

El Chuxter
08-21-2001, 05:30 PM
I found DV:Removable Helmet, Motti, Piett, Zuckuss, CommTech Vader, CommTech Stormie, and the entire Expanded Universe line at retail.

However, I'm apparently a moron, because I passed up (at retail) Ree Yees, Death Star Trooper, Mynock Hunt, and Luke w/ Tauntaun. Not to mention I bought Sith Lord Maul, Jedi Master Qui-Gon, Soft Goods Obi-Wan, Damaged Droideka, Wuher, and the Fan Club Four when they were first released.

Boba Rhett
08-21-2001, 09:57 PM
Ahhh, memories..... So many beautiful moments.

Here are some that pop to mind.

I walked into a gas station and, much to my surprize, found that they were selling their R2-D2 pepsi cooler for 30 bucks. I drop the candy bar I was holding.

I was walking around Toy R Us not expecting to find anything when I happened upon a bin that recently had several boxes of potf2 figures dumped into it. Low and behold, as I dug through them I found a R2-holo Leia in perfect condition. It's still the only one I've ever seen in stores. I started jumping around in the store in front of people.

I was doing my routine checking for varaint figures when I raised a Jawa/gonk up and found that it was the one hole variant. I almost screamed in the store.

By the hair on my teeth, I was able to get a At-At for 30 and Millenium falcon for 20 at KB.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-23-2001, 11:10 PM
I found a Skiff w/Luke at a Target last September. I rarely went to Target to look for my toys, since there aren't any that are really near me, so I was glad to find that. I now have been to 3 different Targets twice each during the past three weeks and haven't yet found a B-wing.

On a non POTF2 note, I found 2 AF Tie Defenders and 2 Sail Barges at a Rite Aid late in 1999 for about 12 bucks apiece. The boxes were less than perfect and it looked like someone blew their nose on one of the Sail Barges but I was happy to find them.

evenflow
08-24-2001, 07:40 AM
I found the entire EU line on the pegs.

Obi-Don
08-24-2001, 09:53 AM
4-Lom to complete my bounty hunters collection.

buba-fatt
08-25-2001, 04:03 AM
in a podunk tru in east Texas i found at-ats, 12"han taun taun,deluxe beasts for $10 each along with all but the minok hunt cinema scenes for $5 each. i also found a deluxe boba fett without the skull on his shoulder at a K B for $3

Lobito
08-27-2001, 10:21 PM
The most proud of finding?? That would be the Han solo with TaunTaun and the Wampa with Luke. Now the most difficult for me was definitely the Han with Taun Taun.

PloKoon2385
08-27-2001, 10:56 PM
I have to tell my dumb luck story again! I always find hard to find stuff and don't even know that they are hard to find. I bought Mynock Hunt for 9.99 at a KB Toys outlet thing called Toy Liquidators. I bought Zuckuss and Piett at a buy one get one free sale at KB when they first came out. I got the Y-Wing and Skiff at Target when they came out. I got Darth Maul Tatooine(black vest) for 1.97 at TRU, and didn't even know it until I saw it on the internet. I luck out so many times and don't even know it, that it makes me sick. I am such an idiot.
I used to have this mentality: "If I found it, it can't be too rare." So lots of times I didn't buy it, only to find out later that it is rare. Like Darth Vader Rem. Helmet. I saw it at Target, but didn't buy it because I only had $20 and instead bought one of those Batman 4-Packs. ARG!
I hated myself for that. I once saw the Electronic 12" Boba Fett for like $20 at KB and didn't buy it. I saw the regular 12" Boba Fett at TRU once and didn't buy it. ARG! I hate this!
I now thank GOD for websites like this one which tell me which figs are rare!:D

Lone Jedi
08-28-2001, 01:55 PM
No doubt about it, my greatest find was three-fold when I got FF Boba Fett, FF AT-ST Driver, and the elusive FF Weequay all case fresh at TRU. Being a carded completist, I didn't think much of it at the time, but boy am I glad I scooped those suckers up wen I did! :)

Darth AL
08-28-2001, 11:55 PM
I would have to say the Bo`marr Munk just cause it was
exclusive to the States and finding it here in the Fig store
I shop at here in Toronto was a pretty cool score,

even though it cost me $50 its cool that they made it.:D

Boba Rhett
08-29-2001, 01:28 AM
You paid 50 bucks for a it? :eek:

Darth Meskin
08-29-2001, 05:29 AM
I've only been collecting SW for a couple of years, but I've had many lucky finds, especially due to the clearance sales of the last two years.

This spring , I found several cases of Commtech Stormtroopers and Holo R2 s at TRU just as they were putting them out in the bins. I got 15 Stormtroopers and a couple of R2s on sale for 1.50 each. Considering how many they were putting out, I was actually conservative! I later found a few more on a separate trip to TRU.

Luckily, I've found 2 of each of the the Target Skiff, Y-Wing and 12” Speeder Bikes at retail (the Skiff once for the $14 sale price). I also recently found the B-Wing, although that one doesn't seem to be as hard to find, probably because it's overpriced.

A friend at K.B.s last year hooked me up with a CASE OF TWO AT-ATs for the then–sale price of one: $30 plus tax. So I basically got them for $15 each.

This same friend set aside new cases of Cinema Scenes, thanks to which I scored a couple of Mynock Hunts for $7 each.

I found a POTF2 Remote Control R2-D2 MIB at a collector show for $5. Anyone have one? It's really neat.

I found a couple of the Defense of Naboo 12" 2-Packs at Factory-2-U for $20 each. With a coupon that said I could get a second identical item for 50% off, I got both for $30 plus tax. So I basically paid $10 for the second one! (BTW, the Qui Gon in this set is the ONLY 12" Qui Gon worth having.)

I scored a HUGE 40" x 60" Return of the Jedi poster on Ebay . It's the one with the pair of hands grasping a blue lightsaber against the stars. It's on heavy stock and was used in theaters during the initial 1983 run. They don't make posters like this anymore. Anyway, it normally goes for well over a hundred dollars, but I got it for $30. It didn't quite dawn on me how big it was until it arrived and I unfurled it. It's the size of an entire WALL! I still can't figure out how there were so few bidders on it, but it's MINE now! :)

I also got one of those cool 15” Darth Vader Cinemacast statues online a couple of years ago for $30. It’s the same statue behind Lucas on the Special Edition “making of” documentaries, with Vader on the Bespin Carbon Freeze steps with lightsaber raised. These now go for over $200 on Ebay.

On another collecting front, I found a couple of the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror sets last fall at retail, too! :)

xboywonder
08-29-2001, 10:54 AM
For me it is R2D2 with Holo Leia which I found at Toys R Us for $1.97 in Ausitn, TX !! Now that's a find !!

redleader79
08-30-2001, 09:25 AM
Well, I recently found a CT hooded Leia in great condition for $4! I've gotten a free R2D2 Holo Leia, an ATAT from TRU for $10, Jabba with 2headed announcer for $5, free ultrama stand, the list just keeps going......

Sith Worm
08-30-2001, 09:32 AM
Mine would have to be the R2/w Leia holo. I found it A TOYS'R'US for $1.97 A few months ago! Tht same day at another 'R' I found the holo Sidous and red Naboo gaurd both $1.97:p

TheJedi
08-30-2001, 06:04 PM
Man, I loved all the bargains that stores put out to clear their POTF2. I'll just make a list of the coolest things I've found.

-13" Elec. Vader for $5. (Walmart)
-12" Elec. Fett for $9.99 (KBKids)
-Removable Helmet Vader for $1 with the coupon "trick". (TRU)
-Tatooine Showdown, CT Stormtrooper, CT R2/holo for $14.50 total. (Ebay)
-2 AT-AT Walkers for $10 each. (TRU)
-Millennium Falcon for $15. (KB)
-6 F/X X-Wings for $10 each. (TRU)
-2 Han Solo with Tauntaun beast packs for $20 each.(EBWorld.com)
-Mynock Hunt for $5. (TRU)

I'll just leave it with those. I can't remember anything else POTF2 off the top of my head. I've been very fortunate. I love hunting this stuff down. =)

humsup
08-31-2001, 09:46 AM
Picked up a set of Rebel Pilots CS today at a real good price today at the same shop I picked up the Mara Jade. It may be going at clearance price in the US but this CS is a premium item here. So, I regard this as a good pick :D

jobare1
08-31-2001, 10:42 PM
I would have to say that finding a Flashback R2 with the lightsaber packaged on the right side is at the top of my list. Found it about 6 months ago in the poor excuse of a toy dept. in a local KMart and to top it off it was only $3 bucks.