PDA

View Full Version : These are the last 11 vintage Kenner figures not yet made in the modern line

Tycho
05-17-2004, 08:42 PM
These Kenner figures have still not been offered in the modern line:

1. RA-7 - silver Death Star Droid
2. Blue Snaggletoothe - a mistake, but a counted figure in the vintage line
3. Hoth Rebel Soldier - a figure based on a deck officer or TaunTaun wrangler
4. Black Bespin Security Guard
5. Chief Chirpa - Ewok
6. Lumat - Ewok
7. Klaatu - green Nikto Jabba's Palace
8. Romba - Ewok
9. Warok - Ewok
10. B-wing Pilot - human, red flightsuit
11. Imperial Dignitary Sim Aloo

Some might include...

Death Star Trooper - grey uniform
Bespin Security Guard - mustache (white or Asian officer)
Imperial Commander - Army officer uniform
Paploo - carded Ewok and not pre-posed
Death Star Gunner - jumpsuit, unarmored

There might be some other discrepencies, but I doubt there are even 20 figures that haven't been exactly reproduced.

Hasbro has done an excellent job at covering all the figures the Old Schoolers remembered and coveted.

Kidhuman
05-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Actually Tycho, Warok is the Ewok that comes with the Glider, so in essence he has been made.

Tycho
05-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Does anything on official packaging or movie-pictures say so?

Kidhuman
05-17-2004, 09:26 PM
No it does not, but if you check Red6 and the picture of Warok and the bio under the picture, you can tell its him. Also check the Ewok Glider review thread for the conformation.

bigbarada
05-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Actually, if you check out some of the reference photos from the Action Figure Archive you'll see that the Ewok included with the glider is actually a completely separate Ewok, in other words he's not Warok. Warok had light tan fur, this Ewok has dark grey fur. In fact, this is the first all-new Ewok figure since 1984 (based on an actual Ewok from the film and never made in action figure form before). Thus Warok still needs to be made.

Tycho
05-18-2004, 12:23 PM
I agree with BigBarada. I made the comparison pic I hope I can attach here, but definitely have posted in the reviews forum, under the topic of this Ewok.

evenflow
05-18-2004, 12:53 PM
I don't think its Warok. I think it is a new ewok we never go tin the vintage line.

El Chuxter
05-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Actually, if you check out some of the reference photos from the Action Figure Archive you'll see that the Ewok included with the glider is actually a completely separate Ewok, in other words he's not Warok. Warok had light tan fur, this Ewok has dark grey fur. In fact, this is the first all-new Ewok figure since 1984 (based on an actual Ewok from the film and never made in action figure form before). Thus Warok still needs to be made.

If he's the first new one since 1984, then who was the unnamed Wicket repaint Ewok who came with the Complete Galaxy playset?

Tycho
05-18-2004, 03:17 PM
"Recardo" the Ewok. :D

Actually, he was one of the Ewok Army's secret weapons.

You see, the stormtroopers were confused. Many of the Ewoks were starting to look alike.

One trooper to another: "Didn't we just kill something that looked just like that?"

Another Trooper: "They're not dying! We shoot them but they won't stay down! Screw the Empire! We surrender!!!"

And that is how the Battle of Endor was lost by the Empire.

Back to reality, a repaint doesn't really qualify as a new figure in my book. The 8 Kenner figures were all different sculpts. Repainting Wicket, Logray, or Teebo and calling them something else doesn't quite count. Repainted JarJars wouldn't qualify as Gungan Warriors, so the same thing goes here with the furballs.

Wicket could be resculpted and resized correctly.

Logray was a good figure.

Teebo was an excellent figure!

Paploo needs to be redone and single-carded like Teebo was. Teebo never pegwarmed! Paploo was played by major Star Wars veteran, R2D2 actor, Kenny Baker. A non-Speederbike version is in order for this Ewok!

Chief Chirpa is amazingly not done after 9 years!

Lumat is not yet done - and needs a completely new sculpt to qualify.

Warok looks similar, but even in the vintage days, was a completely new sculpt by Kenner.

Romba, the fat Ewok, is obviously going to be a unique sculpt and hasn't been done yet either.

There is a "Death's Head Ewok" that was made for the 12" line that would also look great bulstering the 3 3/4" Ewok army. Red6 shows his name.

The mother with Wokling was promised us in half-way decent rumors before as well.

This would make 10 Ewoks, and if you count the 2 glider Ewoks, we'd have 12 for a total of 4 more than we ever had before - plus the vintage line would be complete.

Bring them on!

LusiferSam
05-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Warok is one of the Ewoks that car jacks (I'm not sure that the right term) the AT-ST with Chewbacca. The glider pilot is different fuzz ball.

I have a question about the B-wing pilot. What color is the B-wing pilot's jump suit? I know the X-wing's is orange (and so is the Y-wing's in SW) and the A-wing's green. But the B and Y-wing's in ROTJ have left me confused. The primary reason is that the vintage B-wing pilot has a red/pink jump suit and Hasbro messed thing up with the Rebel pilot three pack.

Tycho
05-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Rebel Pilots, a favorite pastime for TYCHO Celchu to talk about (I mean besides Mouse Droids)....

Hasbro didn't totally mess up.

First, the vintage days...

X-wing pilots - none made but Luke
Y-wing Pilots - none made ever
B-wing Pilots - a human in a RED flight suit was made. He'd be from Gold Squadron it would seem.
A-wings - a human in a green uniform was made. He'd be from Green Squadron.

Next ANH

X-wing pilots wore orange. They were Red Squadron.
Y-wing pilots wore orange also. They were Gold Squadron.

Now ROTJ

X-wing Pilots seemed to all wear orange. They were assigned to Red Group under Wedge Antilles.

Gold Squadron had the heavy ships, like the Falcon and B-wings, under Lando Calrissian. These pilots wore uniforms related to their home worlds.

Hasbro made the Sullustan in the white uniform, which suggests he flew for Mon Calamari's squadrons of all things... Meanwhile Lando wore a Corellian Rebel Uniform. The human B-wing pilot that KENNER made back in 1984 was possibly from Red Squadron, under Antilles' direct command.

Hasbro made 2 figures with Wedge come in that 3-pack. The helmets tell the style of pilots they are. Their headgear was coordinated with the equipment that went with their ships.

We all know what X-wing helmets look like, and in ANH, Y-wing pilots wore the same.

In ROTJ, Y-wing pilots wore a longer helmet, more oval than round. Grey Squadron was all or mostly Y-wings in ROTJ. Grey Leader was one of the few talking Y-wing pilots. I believe he was played by an Asian actor. Grey Squadron wore grey uniforms, not surprisingly.

Hasbro's figure they call "Arvel Crynnd" in the 3-pack (human wearing red) is in fact a Y-wing pilot by his gear-style. He should have been wearing grey.

The REAL ARVEL CRYNND was an A-wing pilot who wore green, was in green squadron, and rammed the Executor bridge, taking out the Super Star Destroyer. There were 3 A-wing pilots of fame during the Battle of Endor, Crynnd, Green Leader, and Tycho Celchu (who flew A-wings, but usually flew X-wings for Rogue Squadron). Crynnd dies when the Executor is destroyed. Green Leader survived Endor, I believe. Tycho led TIEs off Wedge's back inside the Death Star, piloting one of the A-wings that made the reactor core run. Tycho escaped and lived to command Rogue Squadron with Wedge until retirement, prior to the Yuuzhan Vong campaigns.

Hasbro's Sullustan B-wing pilot figure in white has the same style of helmet as the Kenner Human B-wing pilot figure in red. They might be from different squadrons, but they are both B-wing pilots. If the Sullustan is wearing a Mon Calamari uniform, it would be explainable since the Calamari, joining engineering teams with Incom (x-wing manufacturer), created the B-wings to combat Star Destroyers. It would only make sense that a lot of the B-wing pilots would be Calamari, or assigned to their fleets, because they had the most experience with the craft. Sollust was conquered by the Empire, but a lot of their pilots escaped and joined the Rebellion. Sollust is also on the Outer Rim, sort of along the way to Mon Calamari.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-18-2004, 05:43 PM
On the topic of Ewok names, I think that Red Six is sometimes wrong. The dignitaries' names are off, so there's goo dreason to believe that the Ewoks are too. Were there ever cards for them? Usually the cards and the Hasbro figures have the right names.

Tycho
05-18-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure what you meant with your question about cardbacks, JabbaJohnL.

Sure the original 8 Ewoks were all carded on the vintage cards with pictures.

KENNER sort of named them. Maybe Lucasfilm had previously given them their official names, or they yeilded that honor to the toy company.

Anyway, in my comparison pic I posted above, I included Warok's original cardback. It was labled Warok on the card.

LusiferSam
05-18-2004, 11:36 PM
KENNER sort of named them. Maybe Lucasfilm had previously given them their official names, or they yeilded that honor to the toy company.
I'm not sure Kenner named them for two reasons. First the names aren't dumb like Hammerhead or Walrus Man. Second and more importantly because of the Ewoks cartoon and tv movies. To me it seems more like a Lucasfilm job in this case.

Sure the original 8 Ewoks were all carded on the vintage cards with pictures.
But the pictures weren't always right. Paploo's card has Romba photo on.

And thanks for the info on the pilots Tycho. It was way more info then I needed but it helped clear things up for me.

Tycho
05-19-2004, 01:38 AM
Here's the Romba-Paploo mistake:

Droid
05-19-2004, 09:22 AM
I think Klaatu and the four Ewoks are the main figures not yet made again. You could argue the others have been made in one form or another. However, I would like them to make all of them Tycho listed.

Dark Marble
05-19-2004, 09:53 AM
Back to reality, a repaint doesn't really qualify as a new figure in my book.

Ah, but by that logic would we really need a blue snaggletooth? Since the original blue was only a paint error wouldn't we just need a repaint of Takeel or Zutton in blue, and what is the point of that? I don't really see blue as a seperate figure and wouldn't see the point in an all new sculpt to honor the original mistake.

Droid
05-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Ah, but the Blue Snaggletooth was also taller. I guess all they would need to do is repaint either Zutton or Takeel blue, but which one? I think they should acutally make a taller body of the carded red jumpsuit Power of the Jedi Snaggletooth and paint his jumpsuit blue. But of the figures I think Kenner should remake this is at the bottom. First Klaatu, then the four Ewoks, then Black Bespin Guard, then blue Snaggletooth. If they made those seven I would feel satisfied Hasbro remade the old line.

OCB
05-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Why would you include the Palace Klaatu and disregard Kithaba and the Vintage Nikto?

In my eyes there is a solid 15 figures that could make a list and only 8 of those are slam dunks

So here is who's left IMO...

For Sure
1)Klaatu Palace version
2)Chief Chipa
3)Lumat
4)Romba
5)Warok
6)Nikto
7)Barada #2 (Kithaba)
8)Imperial Dignitary

Debatable
1)Blue Gonk
An exact replica of the Lars family Power Droid was not made with the Power Droid provided with the jawa
2)Bespin Guard black
The correct ethnicity has not been released yet, however an Asian and White Guard have been
3)Rebel Commander
A figure similar to this was released however it was not based on the vintage figure
4)Imperial Commander
An exact likeness of a Tuniced Officer has not been released, the POTJ version was in a jumpsuit.
5)Death Squad Commander
Another in the was released but in an alternate uniform series
6) B-Wing Pilot
See above about costume changes
7) Blue Snaggletooth People seem to want this, I don't, Zutton and Takeel fit the bill IMO

Tycho
05-19-2004, 01:42 PM
When I was writing the polls, we tried to settle the Snaggletoothe issue and what character should replace him. Sort of as a place-marker for the vintage figure, which to tell the truth, was both a paint and height error, since Kenner had a b&w of the character sitting down when they first designed the JC Penny exclusive. (or was it Sears?)

Anyway, the theme for replacing the character was overwhelmingly "Blue."

So something blue had to win.

All of you who voted, picked Wiorkettle, the Snivvian from Cloud City.

Painting Zutton blue was offered as an option, but never proved to be the most attractive.

Personally, if Hasbro made Wiorkettle, Treva Horme, and Utriss M'Toc I'd be quite satisfied that the vintage error in the line had been covered for. It'd be enough of aliens dressed in blue. (and Utriss can add to the Cloud City Security Force).

Here were the poll choices:

Droid
05-19-2004, 01:57 PM
I don't see how movie accurate characters dressed in blue replace the vintage error figure. I think the only way to say they "remade" the figure would be to make the short Power of the Jedi figure taller and in a blue jumpsuit. If they remade the Cinema Scene character in blue it isn't making the height inaccurate.

Kind of an odd debate. As I stated earlier, Klaatu and four Ewoks and they really have done the vintage line IMO.

mericen
05-19-2004, 05:53 PM
I am also not certain if the Blue Snaggletooth needs to be remade either. To me the Blue Snaggletooth is sort of like the red cloaked Bib Fortuna, the Vinyl Cape Jawa and the Big and Little Headed Han Solo's. No one is exactly crying for the last three figures to be remade.
I do hope though that they remake the remaining ewoks, Sim Aloo and the other Dignitaries too, Klaatu and RA-7. I would also not mind more generic soldiers from both sides maybe in 4 pks similiar to the ones at Toys r Us.

Dark Marble
05-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Taller eh? Ok I'm beat on that one, but I agree with Mericen. Blue Snaggletooth for me is about the same as big head Han. However, I am all for more ewoks and I would personally like to see all the Imperial Dignitaries made. Plus more army/scene builders are always welcome.

dindae
05-19-2004, 11:11 PM
I would rather have resculpts of the Droids and Ewoks lines before a blue snaggletooth.

LusiferSam
05-20-2004, 12:19 AM
I would rather have resculpts of the Droids and Ewoks lines before a blue snaggletooth.
It takes a sick individual to say that. :crazed:

I use to agree with Dark Marble and mericen about blue Snaggletooth being just a vintage variation. That was until I bought one (funny how that can change ones perspective). But the blue Snaggletooth is low on my list of remakes. Overall I like OCB's list. I might drop one or two off and rearrange the order a bit.

evenflow
05-20-2004, 08:15 AM

I mean I dont think I would mind if a Dulok was a background creature in Episode III and he got a figure. That woudl rock to me, and the same goes for whatever species Tig Fromm, Sise Fromm, and Vlix are.

OCB
05-20-2004, 11:04 AM
I asked some of the vintage experts about the Blue Snaggletooth error and got some good responses

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=832210&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#832210

The big question is...if Greedo and Walrus Man and Hammerhead were all pretty much guesses and had a bunch of mistakes why did they change Snaggletooth? That was a significant change and was pretty much no different than the other 3 major Cantina Flubs

Tycho
05-20-2004, 02:52 PM
To me, the more figures the merrier.

No, I don't think we need a deliberate "error figure" remade, but in light of the fact that they keep spray painting figures silver...

In any case, Cloud City is one of the least represented locations in modern Star Wars. The blue snaggletoothe substitutes I recommended would go a long way to correcting this. Let's add:

Wiorkettle
Treva Horme
Utriss M'Toc (an alien Bespin Security Officer)

We only have now:

Lando - Administrator

Lobot - 2 versions of the same character

White Bespin Guard - in bad need of a decent sculpt since it was a pack-in-bash

Asian Bespin Guard - adequate substitute for the vintage unless the moustache is a must

Ugnaught 1 (from 2-pack)

Ugnaught 2 (from 2-pack)

Cloud Car Pilot (version 1, while here's to hoping they'll change ethnicities or something)

7 figures for Cloud City. We could bring it up to 10, or 11 adding Ice Cream Maker Guy.

By contrast:

Trade Federation
1) Nute
2) Rune
3) Lott Dodd
4) TC-14
5) battle droid
6) OOM-9
7) security droid
8) pilot droid
9) destroyer droid

Naboo
1) Queen - various outfits
2) Sabe
3) Sio Bibble
4) Naboo Royal Guard
5) Nabood Royal Security
6) red R2
7) R2-B1
8) Captain Panaka
9) Captain Typho
10) Ric Olee

Otah Gunga
1) Boss Nass
2) JarJar Binks
3) Captain Tarpals
4) Gungan Warrior
5) Gungan Shield Operator (w. Faamba)

(OK, the Gungans could use Rep Teers, a female and child)

Kamino could use some generic Kaminoans, unarmored Clones, more clone Kids, Jango in his apartment.

Geonosis could use the picadors

Podracers could use about 13 more pilots

Jabba the Hutt and the Mos Eisley Cantina are well-represented, with over 20 characters each probably, but there are still more from both locations that could be done.

Dagobah is the planet greatest in lacking character possibilities.

Hoth still has some (Derlin, Farr, Deck Officer, the upcoming Veers).

The Empire is well represented, but more possibilities exist.

The Ewoks still struggle:

1) Logray
2) Wicket
3) Teebo
4) Paploo - in bad need of a resculpt on a cardback
5) new glider dude
6) old Complete Galaxy glider dude

with Chief Chirpa, Lumat, Warok, and Romba most notably lacking, and a mother, baby, and death's head Ewok making great possibilities for at least 10 characters or so from this location.

Anyway, I went way off on a tangent, but Cloud City could still use some more characters supporting its location, as having at least 10 could be the goal or so per location.

WisconsinSolo
05-23-2004, 07:29 AM
I'm pretty much of the mindset that there are only really six figures left to be made:

1.Chief Chirpa

2.Lumat

3.Warok

4.Romba

5.Klaatu (Jabba's Palace)

6.Bespin Guard (black)

I feel the DS Droid,Imperial Dig,Hoth Soldiers and the other have been sufficiently remade,although I would like to see more Hoth rebels esp Derlin and Taryn.As for the Blue Snaggletooth,I think it should be made as a con exclusive,separate from the regular line and as a knowing wink to Star Wars fans in the know.IMO it would be the best way to handle it.

Tycho
05-23-2004, 11:28 AM
A Convention Exclusive? That's a great idea!

That would be a perfect way to release a blue-snaggletoothe (or substitute of sorts) - especially reaching the target audience of die-hard collectors who go to these shows.

Kidhuman
05-23-2004, 11:46 AM
The only issue with con exclusives are the availability and then the secondary market on them. While I would be all for it, some(maybe most) of us can not get to con's as easily as others.

dindae
05-23-2004, 12:19 PM
I've never had a hard time getting exclusives mianly do to this page. They are usually offered at a later time through the fanclub or something. The only time I almost missed out was when I has an old version of this page stuck in my cash. I thought is was a slow week. Luckily my freind bought two of the silver vader. I made it up to him by grabbing a Sucal for him at the con. So I guess my point is this site has saved me a lot of money over the years and as long as I'm collecting I will check it regularly.

OCB
05-25-2004, 02:13 PM
There was a rumor a week or two ago that if the Cantina Sets happen again (like the supposed Mock Up that was shown of Kitik, Wuher and Evazan) then a possible second set would be Obi-Wan, Ponda Baba and Blue Snag. GH had said the mockup was a phony so I don't put much stock in either one but we'll see if that pans out

I agree that Bespin is the most lacking of all major OT Environments, it used to be Hoth and it some ways it still is, but Bespin has gotten no love from Hasbro

Tycho
05-25-2004, 02:33 PM
Kitik Keed Kak and his wave was not a mock-up.

I have Kitik loose, in my bar diorama.

That line started production in the Orient, before Hasbro temporarily put it on hold because Wal-Mart balked on ordering it.

Some of the stuff was put out to keep the factory from losing money on it, and hence it sold to Hasbro's Hong Kong or Tokyo counterpart (that is licensed to do wholesale in the Orient - a partner with Hasbro overseas).

So the stuff did get out there - why it's sometimes available on E-bay.

Luckily I got mine without having to pay through the nose because of a good friend of mine. I think Kitik cost me $15 (as he was loose and already photographed for a website) and I turned down Wuher and Evazan as I already had these characters.

Droid
05-25-2004, 03:52 PM
The Blue Snaggletooth should not be a convention exclusive unless it is available to order from the fan club. Don't SUGGEST that anything be a convention exclusive, especially the first modern sculpt of a vintage figure or a cantina alien!

Save convention exclusives for a Vader painted orange with glow in the dark paint or some stupid thing.

OCB
05-25-2004, 06:59 PM
I have the Kitik figs too...I was talking about this

http://collectibles.echostation.com/qna/Yakfacecantina.jpg

dindae
05-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Well I hope that becomes a reality. Being a completist and not having the original set I hate the thought of shelling out $180 plus for three figures. While I could easily go without the Wurher and the good doctor. I want Kitik.

evenflow
05-26-2004, 07:51 AM
Well I really want a Kitik. With that beiung said exclusives are cool, but not for cons. If they do an exclusive do a mail away. Those rock.

Dark Marble
05-28-2004, 10:34 AM
You know I was reading this thread and there is one more figure that should be added to the list, R5-D4. This is a little droid we haven't seen in its "true form" yet. I know that there is a lot of debate about this figure via the Star Tours figure and the horrible POTF2 version we have, but I would like to see a good one on the card.

OCB
05-28-2004, 11:43 AM
I agree it needs a resculpt but it also technically has been done...I have faith the big H will right this wrong in the next 2 years

Kidhuman
05-28-2004, 12:30 PM
I agree it needs a resculpt but it also technically has been done...I have faith the big H will right this wrong in the next 2 years

Its a wrong they should of righted almost a decade ago. There are many other wrongs they need to right as well, but thats another thread.

ronhudy
06-07-2004, 06:09 PM
What about this?

http://www.figures.com/archives/images/60/1360.jpg

B'Omarr Monkey
06-07-2004, 07:44 PM
What about it?

OCB
06-07-2004, 11:39 PM
What about this?

http://www.figures.com/archives/images/60/1360.jpgIt took care of Skiff Klaatu but not Kithaba and the Vintage Nikto who both were also on the Skiff. They chose to do Barada and the Sail Barge Nikto which is fine...they just aren't Vintage Counterparts of Modern Figures