PDA

View Full Version : New Holo / Spirit Figures. . . What's Your Opinion?

bobafett07728
05-19-2004, 11:27 AM
After receiving my Holo Luke from Jabba's Palace, and seeing the new pics of the OTC Spirit Obi-Wan, I have to say I am a little dissapointed. I didn't like the way they used colors other than the previously standard spirit color of clear blue. I think the new way of making a figure with the "proper" colors, and just making them transparent looks a little off. Yeah, the older spirit figure might have been a little "cheaper" looking, but I think they more closely resembled the movie. They produced 7 (hopefully I didn't miss any) with the all blue format, and I think they came out pretty good. Especially when you had them lighted from underneath like the Qui-Gon & Maul versions. What do the newer one's look like when they are lighted? I haven't had the chance to check that aspect out yet. Maybe I am just being a stickler, but I like the old Spirit figures better. What do you guys think?

dindae
05-19-2004, 11:50 AM
I prefer the newer sculpts. I like the colors added. It doesn't seem off but I think its better.

Rocketboy
05-19-2004, 12:29 PM
I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the new Luke Hologram.
It looks so terrible.
The Obi-wan hologram that cam with Bail Organa looked great, IMO. I say they should stick with that style.

And I still want to know why Luke needed that lightsaber...I don't recall him using it in the message to Jabba...

evenflow
05-19-2004, 01:05 PM
I have not seen them in person yet :( but i think they are cool. Don't get me wrong, I love my Spirit Cinema Scene and woudl not trade that in, bu tthey are not bad.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-19-2004, 01:34 PM
I like both! there's good and bad points about either version.

the blue ones for instance look great, but they don't move at all, even at their points of articulation, I feel if I try to move it, the arm will break right off.

The newer ones with color, if they toned down the the amount of coloring they put it, make it a bit more transparent instead, they would be almost perfect IMO.

I don't understand the lightsaber either...I just look at it as an extra accessory now just in case :crazed:

JediTricks
05-19-2004, 04:39 PM
In the films, the Jedi spirits are normally-colored, semi-translucent people with a blue aura glow around them. In ROTJ, Luke's hologram is normally-colored with a slight blue tint and semi-translucent. For these figures, I like the *idea* of these recent figures, but the execution is somehow still lacking (though I do prefer them over the frosted, metallic blue translucent figures of the past) - the prototype for Spirit Obi-Wan looks way better than the actual figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Insider 76 (I think) makes a reference on how the prequel holograms are all blue but the OT holograms have color. So, the Darth Maul and Darth Sidious figures are fairly accurate, but all holo and ghost figures until Holo Luke and Spirit Obi-Wan have been incorrect.

I like the Luke, and the Obi-Wan looks good too. It could have been a little more transparent, but it's better than just blue.

Hellboy
05-19-2004, 05:30 PM
I agree that its the execution that is lacking here. The color idea is necessary if Hasbro wants to stay faithful to how the hologram technology evolved throughout the films. In EP1-EPII they're just blue and later they start showing some color so it just wouldn't make sense to have clear-blue holograms of the characters in EP IV-VI. Supposedly we're going to see a hint of color in the holograms slated for EPIII.

As for the Jedi Spirits, like this new Obi-Wan, they should have more of blue aura around them and less color to set them apart from the holograms. This would make them appear more ghost like rather than a holographic transmission. Unfortunately if you were to stand Holo Luke next to the new Spirit Obi-Wan you'd probably find little to no difference and they're 2 completely different things.

B'Omarr Monkey
05-19-2004, 11:23 PM
I like the new ones better. Yes, the execution may be far from perfect, but I think they are really trying to pull it off. The only way I can think to really do it would be to have a slightly smaller sculpt of the figures cast in the clear blue plastic, then painted, then have an additional layer of translucent blue plastic molded over that. It sounds like too much work and expense for Hasbro to even attempt it. Also I imagine the articulation would be a problem.

The only thing I thought looked really weird on Luke was his eyes, which seem to be floating in front of his face. the pictures I've seen for Obi-Wan look really good. the likeness is much more accurate than any other sculpt of Ben.

I think this is really a case of something we should just accept. None of us complain that the lightsabers aren't white in the center with a color halo, which is something else that couldn't be pulled off. At least they're not gluing glitter to the spirit figures. :D

As for the lightsaber that came with Holo Luke, I'm guessing that it was included as an accesory for any kids who might buy this and want to play with it as an actual Luke Skywalker figure.

JEDIpartner
05-20-2004, 09:15 AM
I think the accessory was packed in (for the holograms at least) so that Luke could be transmitting from a battle location as Obi-Wan did in AOTC. As far as the spirit figures with a lightsaber... no clue there.

I didn't like the Luke hologram figure too well. The Obi-Wan figure isn't so bad from what I can see.

bobafett07728
05-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Interesting points by everyone. I wasn't aware of the Prequel / OTC, blue versus color arguement, so that does clear up a few things. Also, I do agree that if the colors were toned down in the newer figures, it would make a huge difference. It does all come down to execution. The lightsaber accessory. . . I thought that was pretty pointless, but JEDIpartnr's theory was a good one. The funny thing is my brother (who is really just a SW fan by default) was like "Dude. . . why does he come with a lightsaber!?!?!? And why isn't it in holgram form!?!?!?" I figured he was just being a wise guy, and disregarded it. Oh well, I'll take the hologram / spirit figures anyway I can get them. Something is usually better than nothing.

Oh yeah. . . and covering the figure in blue sparkles would REALLY suck!!!! That reminds me of that Chewbacca with "real" fur mock-up that wa floating around awhile ago. . . funny stuff :D

Dr Zoltar
05-20-2004, 06:58 PM
I liked the all blue holo figures better. I passed on the holo Luke and I will more than likely pass on the holo Obi-Wan. All blue just looked "cleaner". I love my mail away holo Obi-Wan from the 90's.

JediTricks
05-21-2004, 06:11 AM
Holo lightsaber would probably be too weird, most of it is already translucent to begin with.

Heh, I remember that horrible flocked Chewie, what an eyesore, looked like the old MOTU Moss-man figure.

One of the things I really don't like from Hasbro on these hologram/spirit figures is when they paint something like Obi-Wan's hair too thick and too bright, thus making it neither a hologram/spirit look nor like the character it's supposed to represent.

Kidhuman
05-22-2004, 12:30 PM
I didnt like the newer versions from the pictures, but Holo Luke did not look too bad in person. I like em, but the blue were better.