PDA

View Full Version : The Godfather stand alone.

JON9000
05-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Hopefully, this is the beginning of a trend. I hate Godfather 3 so I never bought the boxed set. I never bought the Indiana Jones or Back to the Future either.

I was really happy to see the Godfather released as a stnad alone movie, and I am hoping Back to the Future I and Raiders of the Lost Ark are released as stnad alone flicks too.

I always looked at the box sets as the studio forcing you to buy more than you want.

Hellboy
05-20-2004, 06:35 PM
I always looked at the box sets as the studio forcing you to buy more than you want.

In the case of The Godfather series I'd agree with you. I bought the box set but had little to no interest in part 3. Overall the set was worth it to me though because of the extra supplemental disk and finally being able to get 2 of the greatest films of all time on DVD.

With the Back to the Future and Indiana Jones Trilogy's I'd probably have to disagree though. I think most people who are fans of those films, especially BTTF which is basically one story anyways, are interested in all 3. I'd say the upcoming SW OT Box set would fall into this category as well. The way these sets are priced too you could buy it for the films you like and ignore the other(s) and still spend around the same as if you bought the movies individually, plus you usually get a variety of extras with the box sets.

Some studios do give you the option of buying the movies individually as opposed to the box set though. 20th Century Fox released The Alien Quadrilogy but all 4 were available by themselves too.

2-1B
05-21-2004, 03:28 AM
GF3 is a decent movie, it just pales in comparison to 1 and 2.

I do agree though that it's cool of them to offer these movies as stand alone releases. However, it still feels weird that they put out the box set first and then down the road agree to give the hardliners (like Jon) a chance to own them individually.

I guess they figure that they'll squeeze whomever they can with the boxset and then any holdover fans can be serviced much later on.

James Boba Fettfield
05-21-2004, 07:51 AM
Only time I've had a boxset deal go against what I wanted was the upcoming Robocop Trilogy. Let's release 2 and 3 as singles, but not 1, because we know we can sell more boxsets by making 1 exclusive to it.

Not too expensive of a set for three films, though.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-22-2004, 12:58 AM
and I am hoping Back to the Future I and Raiders of the Lost Ark are released as stnad alone flicks too.

That's wishful thinking cause according to GLu and Co. there is no Raiders of the Lost Ark anymore. It's now "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark." :crazed:

But yeah, you have a point. Raiders is head and shoulders above the rest so I would have loved to have a two-disc set of just that movie than a box with the other two.

Exhaust Port
05-22-2004, 09:08 AM
I figure if you wait long enough movies will be released as singles rather than in box sets. It seems after about 3-4 years of having a movie on the shelf that the studios revisit it's release/packaging/extras/etc. and redo the whole thing and call it something else. Not only do they know that big fans will buy it again just for the new stuff but that they'll capture new customers with a different packaging and extras. There are quite a few movies that I've passed on that I really want because the current release sucks. A few have already been repackaged such as The Right Stuff and A Christmas Story.

Kidhuman
05-22-2004, 12:18 PM
The Godfather is an awesome set, but three does pale in comparison to the first two. Just give it some time and it will be released singlely.(SP?)

2-1B
05-22-2004, 03:23 PM
kidhuman, it already has been released individually. :D

Kidhuman
05-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Well then rush to your nearest retailer and get one. I am.

Jayspawn
06-21-2004, 11:48 AM
The Stand Alone Godfather DVD sucks big-time! The Special Features blow, its for cheap people who just want the movie.

Part III was an awesome movie! I've seen all 3 movies 100 times -doesnt bother me a bit. Perfect continuity. Good acting -especially by Pacino.

Personally I could do without stand alone movies. Back to the Future Part II, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Robocop 2. Blah, blah, blah. I want quality, complete boxed sets. If you want movies by themselves -go back to VHS you can get them that way.

JON9000
06-27-2004, 12:32 PM
The Stand Alone Godfather DVD sucks big-time! The Special Features blow, its for cheap people who just want the movie.

If you want movies by themselves -go back to VHS you can get them that way.

I saw the stand alone for under $10 last week. All I really like is trailers, a decent commentary, 5.1 surround as the default setting, and the movie to fit on a single side of one disc.

The stand alone DVD has these features, a VHS doesn't.

Let me put it to you this way, I love Superman: the Movie and Superman II. I hate Superman III and IV: the Quest for Peace. Most people I talk to hate III and IV. And I would rather pay $40 for the 2 I like than $60 for all 3. If you like all GF flicks, more power, but you gotta admit, some sequels just bite. (Superman IV got sold and had its budget halved- that's why it looks so chintzy).

JON9000
06-27-2004, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=Jayspawn]
Part III was an awesome movie! I've seen all 3 movies 100 times -doesnt bother me a bit. Perfect continuity. Good acting -especially by Pacino.
QUOTE]

What happened to Tom Hagan? I never sat through the whole flick. Do they ever explain it?

Jayspawn
06-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Its said in Part III that Tom Hagan died during the 20-some years between parts II-III. They mention Tom we see his son and widow. His son is sent off to the Vatican with a grant from Michael.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-28-2004, 06:20 PM
What happened to Tom Hagan? I never sat through the whole flick. Do they ever explain it?

I heard an interview that Robert Duval did on Stern and he was asked why he didn't do Part III. I guess FFC didn't want to pay what Duval wanted so he walked. It's a shame cause I'd rather pay to watch Duval read the telephone book than watch George Hamilton for free.

I agree with J9K on the whole box vs. nonbox "issue." While I like all 3 GF flicks I'd rather just get Part 1 then have to pay for the whole set. Same thing with BttF. I'm glad it was done for GF even though it didn't have all the nice bells and whistles.