PDA

View Full Version : Should Red Leader (Garven Dreis) be resculpted?

Tycho
05-20-2004, 03:55 PM
I actually always wanted Luke's commander from the Battle of Yavin.

That figure with the X-wing is under-sized and pathetic next to Dutch Vander, Jek Porkins, 3-pack Wedge Antilles...

Would you buy a carded Garven Dreis w. removeable helmet, and a corrected body size?

I would.

dindae
05-20-2004, 04:59 PM
I would buy it. But that doesn't mean much. I think he would make a good resculpt but I don't know if I would put him before other pilots. Maybe they could make an ultimate pilot pack and put the Dutch body with multiple heads and helmets so we could make a squadron of lesser know pilots.

Droid
05-20-2004, 05:13 PM
I would buy a resculpted Red Leader, but there are a lot of figures I would rather have. I would rather have Red Leader than any other Rebel pilot though, maybe I would rather have a Biggs with removable helmet.

Tycho
05-20-2004, 06:47 PM
My list:

Biggs w. Removeable Helmet (if they use the head for Biggs Academy Uniform)
Wedge would be nice to have offered carded (I don't need one though)
Garven Dreis Red Leader - Removeable Helmet, new body
Derek Klivian (Hobbie - Rogue 5 I think)
Wes Janson (Wedge's gunner, no Rogue designation in Battle of Hoth)

Black X-wing pilot - ROTJ
Grey Leader - Y-wing pilot, Asian I think
B-wing Pilot - replaces vintage figure of human from Red Group or Gold Group - whoever he flew for

Done already:

Luke, but could actually use a resculpt since the POTJ head was awful
Jek Porkins (Red 6 - nice figure!)
Dutch Vandor (Gold Leader)
Dak (Luke's Gunner - could be resculpted w. removeable helmet, but do we care?)
Tiree (Gold ? - supposedly Y-wing Pilot w. exclusive ship)

Could be really cool:

Tycho Celchu - Rogue Squadron in X-wing uniform
Mon Calamari Pilot (B-wing)
Jaina Solo - Rogue Squadron, or Twin Suns Squadron, X-wing Pilot
Lowbacca - Twin Suns Squadron, Wookiee Jedi X-wing pilot
Corran Horn - green flight suit, COR-SEC uniform, pre-Rogue Squadron

Various Rogues from comics and books - but of course if we go there, we'll also want to see their plain-clothes and dress uniform outfits made, and characters like Mirax, Isaard, Krennel, etc. etc.

This thread should stick to pilot uniform figures, and on top of that, basically how much merit does Red Leader have getting carded or put into a nice box set with a few of these pilots.

B'Omarr Monkey
05-20-2004, 10:56 PM
I'd buy a resculpted Garven Dreis figure. I'm all for more pilots. I'd also really like the, I think, Hobbie as seen on Hoth without the helmet, but with that helmet liner on. The "Two fighters against a star destroyer?" guy.

Silent Chazz
05-21-2004, 12:55 AM
According to Decipher's SW:CCG (which WAS okayed by Lucasfilm), Wedge's Rogue Snowspeeder was Rogue 3 and Hobbie's was Rogue 4.

evenflow
05-21-2004, 09:27 AM
I would buy any new figure from the original trilogy.

JEDIpartner
05-21-2004, 09:35 AM
Yeah... but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

elvandrik
05-21-2004, 10:44 PM
The only way we'll get decent versions of these figs we want is to not buy the crappy ones (like the red leader fig). As collectors, we have to send a message that if they are going to repackage old stuff (like the x-wing), they can at least throw us a bone and give us a quality new fig that's exclusive to the vehicle and is up to par with recent figs.

B'Omarr Monkey
05-22-2004, 12:09 AM
The only way we'll get decent versions of these figs we want is to not buy the crappy ones (like the red leader fig). As collectors, we have to send a message that if they are going to repackage old stuff (like the x-wing), they can at least throw us a bone and give us a quality new fig that's exclusive to the vehicle and is up to par with recent figs.

Unfortunately, I think the message that that will actually send is that we're not interested in vehicles, or in this case, any more rebel pilots. What will then happen is that we will not get any more vehicles, or rebel pilots.

If we all hated say, R1-G4 (which I love) and refused to buy it, I think Hasbro would decide, well, no one wants any more obscure droids, so lets knock the rest of them off our "to make" list.

elvandrik
05-22-2004, 07:19 AM
WHAT?!?!? So that means we're obligated to buy every piece of remolded crap they try to pass off as new just to keep the hobby going? If that's the case, then the hobby should die out. That's like saying you're gonna buy a bad car even though you know its bad because if you don't, automakers may stop making ALL cars. Don't worry, they won't stop making figures if you don't buy the repacks. If figure makers want to stay in business, they need to please their customers!!!!

Sidiously Darth
05-22-2004, 04:17 PM
I understand what you're saying elvandrik but your analogy is a little out there. It's a catch 22 scenario. It's okay to buy what you want but if some more obscure figures don't sell very well, then more are less likely to be made. Hasbro is not going to just stop making figures but they will stick to more core characters. They think that's the best way to keep the kids interested. Plus, when was the last time Hasbro actually listened to what the customers wanted. It may happen once in a while but not to often.

BTW, I did a custom of Garven. Here's the link:

Red Leader (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=327416&postcount=1)

elvandrik
05-22-2004, 06:57 PM
That's not a bad custom. You should do a version 2 and use Dutch Vander's body and just repaint the helmet, then behead General Rieken and slap him on top. Anywho....

I heard Hasbro finally realized that kids weren't buying the figs, only collectors, and that's why they did away with alot of the actiaon features. The latest figures are the most detailed yet and I think that's been done to compete with the other quality action figure makers like McFarlane Toys. Look at all the new waves, they are literally filled with esoteric background characters (R3PO, Ruppertine, Spijek, Gold leader, Admiral Ozzel, General Rieken) that a casual kid fan would not recognize. Admittedly, they have produced some of the core characters too (Hoth Luke and Han),but I think they really are trying to please the collector with the latest saga line. Now the new OTC stuff, I think that stuff is aimed at new fans who buy the DVD trilogy, hence all the damn repacks. I think they just dropped some new figs in that collection just to keep collector's slightly interested. Honestly, who was asking for another lobot anyway? We need a new:

R5D4
General veers
Beroguin (drooling guy from jabba's palace)
4LOM
Medal Ceremony Luke
Queen Jamilla (episode 2)
and how bout old Bren Derlin??

Kidhuman
05-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Yes I would buy it. And Tycho, yes I would also buy a carded Dak. I never got the snowspeeder.

Silent Chazz
05-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Ok, call me crazy but I must be the only person on any SW forum that doesn't really have a problem with the Red Leader figure that comes with the X-wing (which I FINALLY got today when I went to Amarillo, TX as well as a bunch of other figures I missed from this year [Check em out in my Have List in my Sig]).

Tycho
05-23-2004, 12:07 AM
I'll be collecting donations to help SilentChazz get a new pair of glasses. ;)

Go to www.Hasbrosredleaderdoessuckreallybadanyway.com to see where to send your check or money order.

elvandrik
05-23-2004, 12:43 AM
Wow, chazz. Did you like the flying R2 figure from AOTC too? We gotta get you out more.

Kidhuman
05-23-2004, 12:56 AM
I'll be collecting donations to help SilentChazz get a new pair of glasses. ;)

Go to www.Hasbrosredleaderdoessuckreallybadanyway.com to see where to send your check or money order.

You might want to try the Lions CLub first Tycho.

Tycho
05-23-2004, 01:29 AM
This thread is getting interesting too.

OK, explain to me what the Lion's Club is like I am an idiot.

I am an idiot, so this should be a good explanation.

plasticfetish
05-23-2004, 02:56 AM
A: The Lion's Club does a lot eyeglass donation type charity stuff.

-----

I as well, would take just about any pilot figure that they want to card or re-do using the same quality body as the Vander figure. I kind of assumed, and maybe I'm wrong, that Vander's head was stuck on the way it was because it would allow Hasbro to more easily do just that. Ehh?

More to the point, yeah, Garven Dreis should be resculpted at some point.

WisconsinSolo
05-23-2004, 08:08 AM
I'd buy a resculpted Garven Dreis figure. I'm all for more pilots. I'd also really like the, I think, Hobbie as seen on Hoth without the helmet, but with that helmet liner on. The "Two fighters against a star destroyer?" guy.

Is it just me or does this guy sound just like Randall from Clerks when he says that line.Seriously,the next time you watch Empire just imagine the smarmy video clerk Randall in Hobbie's place.Some funny stuff right there.:D

Silent Chazz
05-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Ok ok. Enough with the jokes guys. :mad:

I PROBABLY would be on your side right now and demand a new Red leader with Dutch Vander's Body, but I have yet to see him in my hands irl (The Gold Leader figure that is). Besides, they all look the same Inside the Cockpit and from what I've heard, Gold Leader can't even FIT in the X-wing. This Garven Dreis figure is the first Rebel Pilot I've owned since the POTFII Luke that was called "X-wing Pilot" even though he clearly had on his "Snowspeeder Pilot" gear.

dindae
05-23-2004, 03:34 PM
As disappointed as I was to find out dutch couldn't fit in the new X-wing. I was equally pleased to find out his knees were ball joints. I don't know how I missed this before, but I guess it was the gray straps covering them up. lol

WisconsinSolo
05-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Isn't Dutch a Y-Wing Pilot? Does he fit in there?

dindae
05-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Isn't Dutch a Y-Wing Pilot? Does he fit in there?

Yes he does and also the POTF X-wing for what its worth.

Sean the Hutt
05-24-2004, 05:47 AM
the helmet color is way off...the quality control is crap!. I will by x wings but I want a good detailed pilot, and a droid pack in from now on!
also if the new y-wing has a non removable droid...I'm not buying!