PDA

View Full Version : Why do some collectors buy only female action figures?

Tycho
05-20-2004, 09:02 PM
OK, what gives?

I was reading some posts about how Uhura disappeared, and Hoshi wasn't the easiest to find from the AT figures.

Why do some guys (are they mainly guys) collect female action figures.

I don't own a Laura Croft or SpyGirls or whatever that ...oh wait, it was Cy-Girls I think..

Whatever, you get the point.

This has something to do with sexual dysfunction, doesn't it?

Like:

1) Hookers are illegal, I might get caught, and...

2) Uhura only costs $10 but the girl on the corner might be a cop and if she's not, she'll charge me $50!

OK, yes the female form is waaaay sexy, sensual, and I'd venture to say that the model female form is even artistic (so you girls that are always in my gym can think of yourselves as artists in a way - giving us guys something beautiful to look at).

Well, fine. I understand a guy appreciates that. So you buy a Michaelangelo statue of a naked lady. If it requires something more functional, you get a blow-up doll from one of those adult bookstores. But you like Star Trek, so you get WITH YOUR COLLECTION Hoshi, T'Pol, Uhura (someday, hopefully, B'Ehllana,etc).

But why do you clutter your home, your toy shelves, your office, whatever, with Laura Croft, Dark Angel, Buffy, heck...not likely, but maybe even Marge Simpson, Cy-Girls, Princess Leia, Padme Amidala, every Twi'Lek SW chic to ever grace the screen, etc. etc.???

Sell all that crap and you could afford a prostitute! (or a divorce if that's what it would take).

OK, I can see how this thread could be taken as funny, but seriously, somebody should fess up.

This isn't a witch hunt either, but likely the guys that do post here and are female-figure only collectors will probably just shut up and not answer. But we can only hope.

Enlightenment might be only 1 post away...

LTBasker
05-20-2004, 09:30 PM
... *blink*blink*

You really surprised me Tycho. :p

Well I imagine some people buy them for yes, sexual interest. Just like why people buy anime PVC figures of girls in skimpy clothing or pretty much nude.

In the case of Uhura though, theres also the whole supply and demand story. Alot of companies are really afraid of making female figures because they think they won't sell, so people buy them when they can to make sure they get them. Other people also buy them in case they become rare (Unleashed Leia and Padme) and create false stories as to why they're "rare." IE: Padme's infamous "recalled because of perkiness" hoax.

Yeah there are some pervs out there who probably buy female figures for more sexual desires, but I'd say most of the time it's usually admiring the scarcely made female figures.

Though you can tell some female figures are definitely made to exploit the market for very sexual figures for the casual shopping perv or desperate geek. (Unleashed Leia for instance)

But eh, who cares really?

B'Omarr Monkey
05-20-2004, 09:51 PM
I think part of it is what LTBasker said about the scarcity of female figures in case assortments. The Van Helsing toys look like crap, but I did notice only one Anna Villarious figure amongst all of the Draculas, Frankenstein monsters, wolfmen, and Van Helsings. I almost bought it on the off chance I break down and buy any of these toys for my monster toy collection (figuring they'll all get marked down in a couple of months, but there won't be Anna Villarious).

I know of a couple women who only collect female action figures--of all types, simply because they are female. My five year old daughter hates it that there are hardly any girl action figures. You wouldn't believe how hard I had to look to get a girl Power Ranger for her.

I don't particularly collect female figures, and imagine that any perv might be better served by Barbie, who can at least be undressed, or those anatomically correct Adult film star action figures, than say T'Pol or Aayla Secura.

I do think that there is a design element to a lot of the female characters that's superior to the male characters. Amidala's costumes are all great and I hope they are all sculpted in plastic. I even have the high end dolls that were put out with TPM, but not because I have any particular supressed longing for Natalie Portman, as beautiful as she is. I just thought the costume designs were great, and also think Amidala is one of the more interesting characters from the PT.

Aayla Secura looks great, IMO, because she is blue, which is refreshing in a sea of brown, grey, and white plastic in the SW universe.

Out of the unleashed figures, the only ones that I'm tempted to buy are Padme, Leia, Aayla Secura and....Bossk. I just think these look better than the others. han isn't bad, but I don't like the disembodied ramp. The other characters in their extreme poses seem too cartoony. So, I guess it's a matter of aesthetics.

I think the only three non SW (or Hellraiser) female action figures I own are Yeoman Rand, The Orion Slave Girl, and the Joan Collins character from ST, but I didn't buy them because they were female.

I guess I can't really answer your question, just give some perspective from someone who owns a few female figures, and knows some women who buy them. I don't know any guys who buy them in bulk though -- thank God.

plasticfetish
05-21-2004, 05:25 AM
Why do some guys (are they mainly guys) collect female action figures
Do you mean "at all" or do you mean "only" when it comes to female figures?

If it's -- "why do some guys collect only female figures?" Then, I'm just curious as to what examples you've been reading about. (Like, you know, is there a thread some place where a guy talks about how he only buys female figures?) If it's -- "Why do some guys collect female action figures at all?" Then, I'd say, why not? As far as the "dysfunction" issue goes, I'd say that any hang-ups with regard to buying "girl" figures is just as likely to be seen as a kind of dysfunction.

Why do you really need this kind of info anyway? Trying to solve some kind of personal problem -- feeling too much guilt over the number of Padme figures that you own? :)

On a side note, it's funny that you use Michelangelo as an example here. It's thought that he used the male form almost exclusively as his point of reference and inspiration for all of his figures, both male and female. Mostly because of what's theorized as his own personal "preference" when it comes to human anatomy.

stillakid
05-21-2004, 09:00 AM
On a side note, it's funny that you use Michelangelo as an example here. It's thought that he used the male form almost exclusively as his point of reference and inspiration for all of his figures, both male and female. Mostly because of what's theorized as his own personal "preference" when it comes to human anatomy.

You could replace "Michelangelo" with Calvin Klein or Joel Schumaker above. :D

As far as the question goes, I don't know. I own the chick Star Wars figures because they're part of the collection. I got the UnLeashed Leia because she looked cool. But I also got Chewy, Yoda, and Boba Fett. Leia just happens to be "sexy" cool, but so what?

More to your point, I bought the Danger Girl set primarily because they do look uber-hot. The comic plays into that whole idea in a fun tongue 'n cheek way and the "toys" follow up in that spirit. As you suggest, the female form at its peek is attractive which is why guys buy Playboy, Maxim, Penthouse, and yes, probably why we also take an extra glance at and sometimes buy those "sexy" action figures. It's also why we go to the beach, to the gym and even just people watch (for hot girls) when having lunch at an outdoor table. It doesn't mean we're "pervs"... it means we're human. Well, heterosexual humans in this case. In fact, if a guy wasn't attracted to the female body, then I'd start wondering. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D )

derek
05-21-2004, 08:32 PM
this is funny. :D

a grown man who buys loads of toys is asking why other grown men only buy certain kinds of toys. lol "oh the irony" (end comic book guy voice)

but to answer your question, i'd have to say it's just an extension of having a bikini calendar or poster on their wall, no big deal really, it's just 3-D.

we're all a bunch of nerds if you ask me! :p

2-1B
05-22-2004, 02:23 AM
Tycho,
What about the niche market of collectors who only buy female army builders and also
the tiny segment of collectors who enjoy sniffing female figures ?

Opine for me, please . . .

plasticfetish
05-22-2004, 02:28 AM
To date, the best smelling figure, I think, has been that new Wampa. Was that thing a male or female?

Bosskman
05-22-2004, 11:03 AM
I wish I had the new Wampa (I know I can get him on-line but I'm going down to the Florida in a month so I'll wait). The Wampa is female. When I get her, I'm gonna shut my curtains, dim the lights, and slowly take her out of the package. Then it's sniffin time. Oh yeah, gimmie some o that! That's the reason I get any female figures. I wanna make sweet love to them all night long. Once Hasbro let me try it on a prototype chewie back in the flashback card days and when I was done they decided to change the figure to "hoth chewie" for some reason.

Seriously, and don't anyone take this too personally, anyone who collects action figures because they're "hot" is a loser, and that's pretty bad coming from a freak like me. THEY ARE PIECES OF PLASTIC. Anyone here who gets off in any way from action figures of any kind gotta have some serious issues.

2-1B
05-22-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm pretty sure that the open-belly rescue Tauntaun is a female . . . at least, that's the way I've been using "her" anyway.

Tycho
05-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Tycho,
What about the niche market of collectors who only buy female army builders and also
the tiny segment of collectors who enjoy sniffing female figures ?

Opine for me, please . . .

Actually, I'm into sniffing the Ewok glider lately. I'm not sure how that qualifies, but I do have an important tip:

1) Carefully open only 2-3 sides of the packaging, enough to...

2) remove the Ewok from the box

3) this makes room for your nose

4) the glider's great scent will be longer preserved if you don't remove it, but rather you stick your whole nose into the packaging.

5) Placing a large rubberband around the box and the back of your head will hold the packaged glider in position for long breathfulls of wholesome fun!

Anyway, I suppose doing that might be weird, but it's been a lifelong habit, so back to those guys that only buy female action figures...

Oh, and by the way, PlasticFetish, I have no guilt over the number of Padme figures that I own, but severe disappointment that at least

5 outfits from TPM

and

14 or so outfits from AOTC

have never been produced. As a diorama builder (which requires I also buy male action figures) I need these figures of Miss Naberrie.

Next, Bosskman was right on: people who collect female action figures because they are hot - REALLY need to try and get a girlfriend.

If you're on this site, you collect SW. Fine. Get every type of Leia, Padme, Aayla, etc. that you want. I even admit that Slave Leia Unleashed is sculpted "hot" and I'd like to pick that piece up. But my excuse is that it's Star Wars and it already goes with my collection.

The difference is that I'm sure some Lady Vallaria, Elvira, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Austin Powers' Girl, etc. is sculpted "hot" too, but so???

Save some money so you have it when you get a date, stupid! (She's not going to want to come home and look at your collection of scantily clad female action figures...and she'll probably call the cops if she looks in your closet!)

Now Caesar, of all people, I thought you'd have already realized that sniffing plastic has nothing to do with whether the character is male or female. In fact, for all of you totally into PVC sniffing out there, you can go to a plastics factory, or better yet, get a job there, and sniff all you want, all day long - and mint-fresh stuff too! I get some of my smaller diorama display cases (stuff to hang on walls, etc) custom-made in one of those places. In fact, the new OTC -vintage style clam-shell cases, if hard cases (versus soft) might really smell wonderful if you lock your face in the box!

However, the whole idea behind the best sniff is that it's celebretory over finding a new figure (a rare occurance considering distribution these days). So the only time a female figure sniffs better than a male, has to do with material use alone. Sniffing up Luminara Unduli's skirt was by no means a sexual experience. There was a lot of plastic being put into use there! By comparison, R-3PO or the Hoth Soldier are completely scentless next to Luminara. However, Ephant Mon was a snorter! All that plastic, YUM!

So whether a character is male or female has little baring on how it sniffs. A simple example is that with plastic cloaks and all, ANY Jedi sniffs better than a Clone Trooper. That's a given.

Note: the Wampa and TaunTaun were brought up in this thread and they sort of have a PlayDoh scent to them versus the tarter scent of most regular action figures. Leaving your nose stuck inside the TaunTaun's belly slit will result in it being red for long periods of time. Adding a little sunscrean will sort of help you hide what you've been doing from your Mom.

If anything else from your body gets stuck inside the TaunTaun, I don't want to know about it. Just imagine explaining to your doctor why you need THAT surgically removed!

If that be the case, then you should collect blow-up dolls instead. I have no idea what they smell like, though, but they have to suggest something most guys would find more attractive than a TaunTaun! (no sheep farmers here were intended to be insulted by this post)

B'Omarr Monkey
05-22-2004, 11:04 PM
...and here I thought these forums were all ages. :rolleyes:

Tycho
05-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Oh the more ridiculous I make my posts, the more people I hope are laughing. Sometimes you need the break from the monotony around here.

Really, most youngsters would have no idea what I'm talking about. I was careful about that - as nothing I posted specifically describes anything but just goes wherever your imagination takes you.

Now really, did you think up something dirty when you read what I'd posted?

Meanwhile, if I'm an undue influence on children with the sniffing suggestion part of the post, well besides being sort of a tradition around these forums here, if kids start sniffing plastic and wearing the new clamshell cases with rubberbands around their head, that new fad might do something wonderous for the rest of us: Hasbro might sell these cases EMPTY through their retail partners to the rest of us. While I don't collect carded, if these cases are really that good (to use for figure storage versus snorting) then the latest trend I might have started would be good for all of you who do collect carded out there.

2-1B
05-22-2004, 11:40 PM
That's odd, Tycho . . . I thought Luminara smelled different because of her panties.

Tycho
05-23-2004, 12:32 AM
Dude! It's the underside of Boba Fett Unleashed.

Sarlaac guts aflame! Now that's a smell!

How old is that figure now? The Fett-Han-Yoda-wave was before the current Chewbacca-Clone-Stuff shipping now.

Yeah, Fett's still going strong! Now That's a lot of plastic!

plasticfetish
05-23-2004, 12:53 AM
I'm pretty sure that the open-belly rescue Tauntaun is a female . . .
OK. That's a darn funny post. I don't usually laugh out loud at this stuff, but that got me. Very nice. (You're like the Redd Foxx of the toy world.)

Tycho, I'll admit, I haven't opened my Ewok w/ glider yet. I may need to do it now. As far as Padme, or any female figure goes, It is nice to get the variations because it breaks up the typically guy oriented display of figures. It's always seemed to me, that an all "boy" collection of figures is sort of dorky for some reason. Not sure why really.

So... where's the voice of the all girl figure collector anyway? I've got a MOC Lost in Space Judy Robinson for you if you speak up -- or maybe a lovely carded Xena figure or a long forgotten Spice Girl...

stillakid
05-23-2004, 09:59 AM
I'm pretty sure that the open-belly rescue Tauntaun is a female . . . at least, that's the way I've been using "her" anyway.

Where's that confounded reputation button? Caesar has been "on" lately. Kudos! :D

stillakid
05-23-2004, 10:03 AM
The difference is that I'm sure some Lady Vallaria, Elvira, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Austin Powers' Girl, etc. is sculpted "hot" too, but so???

Save some money so you have it when you get a date, stupid! (She's not going to want to come home and look at your collection of scantily clad female action figures...and she'll probably call the cops if she looks in your closet!)

I don't think my wife would appreciate that. :sur: (Me bringing a date home, that is.)

stillakid
05-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Which is why I have to sneak around. :nerv:

sith_killer_99
05-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Hmmm, interesting topic.

I don't collect outside of Star Wars, not since I sold off my Movie Maniacs collection.

My wife is into Buffy and Angel...big time, so I bought her the new Willow figures (it is her favorite character). But let's face it, it's not exactly a "sexy" figure.

As for sexy Star Wars figures, I don't see anything wrong with the ocassional Slave Leia figure or Aayla Secura. I don't understand the obsession with some of these figures. I thought the Unleased Padme' sucked big time, sure the body sculpt was very sexy, but the head sculpt was terrible. I passed on this thing when I was lucky enough to find my Darth Vader and I passed on it when she was warming pegs months later. I want the Unleashed Leia for my collection, but I wasn't about to shell out $60.00+ for one! :rolleyes: Now if I find one at retail I will buy it! :D Though I much prefer the real thing... ;)

My five year old daughter hates it that there are hardly any girl action figures. You wouldn't believe how hard I had to look to get a girl Power Ranger for her.

On a side note, I bought my daughter the new Barbie SuperGirl, BatGirl and Wonder Woman figures.

basschick
05-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Tycho - as plasticfetish asks, i'd like some examples of this. i haven't talked with anyone who collects only female figures unless they are collectors of pinup or other female-only related topics. i'm wondering where you have found such people posting.
(http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/member.php?u=2284)

Tycho
05-23-2004, 08:09 PM
I've met these kinds in the toy stores. One guy who was particularly weird was wearing a rain coat! :eek:

His wife had driven him to the dealer's store, and he specifically asked the owner if he had any new female characters that this customer didn't own already.

I was kind of scared of him...

plasticfetish
05-23-2004, 09:40 PM
Oooh, yeah... OK. That's pretty weird.
Maybe it's just a San Diego thing. ;) (I hope.)

Reefer Shark
05-24-2004, 01:05 AM
Mabye it's a California thing....

About 8 years ago, I used to work with this guy that only collected female figures. His wife wouldn't let him display them anywhere, so he had 'em on a shelf in his closet. :sur: Granted, back then there wasn't nearly as many female figures to choose from.

Pretty cool dude though.

InsaneJediGirl
05-24-2004, 08:52 PM
Perhaps these are the only women available to them :D ;)

B'Omarr Monkey
05-24-2004, 10:39 PM
Perhaps these are the only women available to them :D ;)

The two examples above both have wives.

In a related anecdote. Many moons ago when I was in college, I went to a comic book store (no longer there) and was making my purchase at the register, which is in the back of the store. A little way to the left of me was a guy who couldn't have been more than 22 years old. the guy was facing the other way and looking up. He was talking to himself "She's so hot. I wish I could take her home with me." followed by longing whimper sounds. I was already scared, but my curiosity was completely consumed. The store had a lot of posters on the walls, most of which I never paid attention to. I don't know what I was expecting it to be, at least that realistic air brushed painting of Mary Jane Watson Parker that Joe Jusko did for the Marvel Swimsuit special, or something (though I don't think that had come out yet). I turned around and it was some Anime woman in an extremely cartoon manga style, with eyes as big as dinner plates, etc. She barely represented a human. It would be like rendering one of the Powerpuff Girls as an adult.

It was freaky. I felt pity for this guy, but mostly I was just scared.

Tycho
05-24-2004, 11:43 PM
You know what's scarier?

Michael Jackson saw the same poster and said (whimpering to himself): "She's so hot. I wish my plastic surgeon could make me look like her."

So far the operations are a work in progress.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Well, let me be the first to admit, I actually bought a female figure because it looked kinda sexy and I find the person it's made from pretty sexy too and I'm a female :eek: (hey, I can appreciate a sexy person no matter what gender) ;) And I'm glad I bought her 'cause she's no where to be found ever since. She's none other than the TX (human version of course) from Terminator 3.

Then I saw her (Kristanna Lokken) in a magazine, making out with another chick and I thought, maybe I have a chance :nerv:

...and then I realized she was only plastic :mad:

lol lol lol lol lol

Exhaust Port
05-25-2004, 09:18 PM
Then I saw her (Kristanna Lokken) in a magazine, making out with another chick and I thought, maybe I have a chance :nerv:

...and then I realized she was only plastic :mad:

lol lol lol lol lol
In the magazine our just your action figure? Either way it raised my interest. ;)

What magazine? My guy radar must have been inop. that day and it passed me by. :D

stillakid
05-25-2004, 10:26 PM

Seriously, you can't just drop a bomb like that without elaborating on where it came from. :(

Deoxyribonucleic
05-26-2004, 01:53 AM
You guys are the best, I really mean it! I needed a good laugh/picking up today after a crap day at work and this thread was just such a pick-me-up! :D

The picture was in People magazine about 4 or 5 months ago. I have the mag somewhere, I'll find it eventually and uh, pm you guys LOL ;)

The caption of a similar picture (2 0+'s kissing) was:

"Is there any problem in the world this can't solve?"

My good friend was showing me this, I was laughing so hard and I thought, it's probably true. lol lol

Someone outta market that, make millions...ZILLIONS even!

Exhaust Port
05-26-2004, 08:28 AM
Here Here!!!!