PDA

View Full Version : Which spirit/holo style of figure is superior?

JediTricks
05-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Up until recently, Hasbro only portrayed holograph and spirit figures one way: simple figures cast in translucent (clear) blue plastic with virtually no additional color at all and little or no articulation. This wasn't particularly accurate to the films since spirit characters were slightly see-through with a blue aura and slight blue tint; holograph characters were mostly the same thing, except without the aura.

But this year, Hasbro has attempted something different, a Holo Luke and a Spirit Obi-Wan figure that are colored like normal characters but cast in translucent plastic; these new figures also have more articulation than the older holo/spirit figures. This recent change has sparked some debate, as evident in this thread (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=24011). Each school has its supporters and detractors, and only time will tell which style becomes the new standard.

So which is the superior style for these holograph & spirit figures? Cast your vote and post your opinion!

daricksstarwars
05-24-2004, 04:55 PM
Well lets just face it folks, no matter what we may like or dislike about the figures that we so vigorously pursue, there will always be change. These new holo figures are a prime example. I happen to like the old blue figures quite alot and didn't mind leaving them as they were. But, the new holos are good looking and no matter what medium that Hasbro sticks with, I will continue to gather them up. However, I will have to put in my vote for the old-school blue and hope to see them make a comeback.

Hellboy
05-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Well for me this is a 2 part vote but I voted old style.

The old style Holograms look better than the newer color versions IMO. As I stated in the other thread the color isn't the problem its that they aren't translucent enough. The progression from all blue to color holograms is accurate.

As for the Jedi Spirit figures I'd have to say I prefer the new color versions over the old frosted all blue look. The Jedi Spirits always had a bit of color to them in the films anyways, making these newer versions more accurate. I do think they should tone the color down a bit and have more of a blue aura around them though in order to set them apart from the hologram figures though.

Lord Malakite
05-24-2004, 10:16 PM
I actually like the old translucent blue figures. Sure they aren't 100% acurate since they use only one color, but then again the new figures don't look right because they lose the blue aura almost completely. They look like underdeveloped babies with the tranlucent flesh color.

stillakid
05-24-2004, 11:43 PM
While the new versions may be more "accurate," this is one example where screen accuracy doesn't necessarily translate into a better 3-dimensional real world product. I'll go with the old. :D

plasticfetish
05-25-2004, 01:43 AM
Given a choice, I'd much rather go with to the "old" blue stlye. I agree with Hellboy, that these new ones aren't translucent enough at all. They end up looking like they're made of melted candy. It's a good idea, but I'm just not sure that it works for these toys, and the way Hasbro handles it.

I really think that putting a very light bit of paint over the blue works well. From a "simple is often better" standpoint though, the clear blue alone was very nice.

OC47150
05-25-2004, 06:59 AM
I'm going to hold judgement on this poll until I see the new Obi-Wan. I have the Jabba Luke holo and it's OK.

The first holo Obi-Wan (the Frito Lay version) is of great quality. There's something about the Jedi Spirits trio that just bothers me. It appears as if they are frosted. But that's my two cents.

nellas
05-25-2004, 08:00 AM
I would like to see a combination of the two. I like the blue haze of the original version but I was very disappointed with the holo Luke with speckling. If they could blend the two I think they would hit it right on the head.

evenflow
05-25-2004, 08:03 AM
I think I liek the blue better. The new ones would be better if they had a little more blue.

B_C
05-25-2004, 08:24 AM
they are frosted. I remember reading an artical in one of my magazines saying the reason for this is to make them look more etheral looking. I quite like the jedi spirits though. As for the new spirit and hologram figures...I think they look like cheap rip off versions of the new figures.

Rocketboy
05-25-2004, 09:05 AM
I like the old style. The new ones just don't look like holograms/ghosts. The new ones have this glitter effect to them that makes me cringe.
The new ones get an A for effort, but Hasbro should have realized how horrid they look, then stuck with their clear blue style.
Besides, why change styles during a run? It's inconsistent.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-25-2004, 11:09 AM
I really like both versions almost equally buuuuuuuuut, there's just one thing that made me choose the old style and that's seeing my Jedi Spirits three pack up against the ewok village background...just looks COOL! They stand out more, like a hologram/apparition should.

:)

skeeziks22
05-25-2004, 11:31 AM
They stand out more, like a hologram/apparition should.:)

Not ever having seen a spirit (other than movies of course) I always imagined having to look twice before being sure what I was seeing. i don't think they should stand out quite so much as the all blue "old" style. However, I don't think the new ones are translucent enough. Other things bother me about the new ones as well... Luke isn't nearly tall enough (the movie hologram was about ten feet tall) and Obi Wan comes with a lightsaber.

That said I think it would take very little to make the new style really good... simply increase the transluscency. The all blue was cool not having had anythign like that before... now they are improving (with room to improve even more) so why go back to lesser accuracy?

Deoxyribonucleic
05-25-2004, 11:36 AM
HEY, you skeeziks, I was referring to how they are in the movie you skeeziks! :rolleyes: ;) :silly: They stand out like a sore cartoon thumb!

Kidhuman
05-25-2004, 11:55 AM
Well.....

The old Blue ones are really nice, but kind of statuesque. The new colorful ones, give depth to the figure. They did more than just stand there in the movie. They moved around and all. I voted for the "new" style. The only gripe I have is lightsabers?

mtriv73
05-25-2004, 12:48 PM
I think they're on the right track with the new style, but they haven't gotten the paint quite right yet.

skeeziks22
05-25-2004, 03:28 PM
HEY, you skeeziks, I was referring to how they are in the movie you skeeziks! :rolleyes: ;) :silly: They stand out like a sore cartoon thumb!

Their "aura" is what makes them stand out so much. If you look at Obi-Wan on Dagobah and especially on Hoth you can easily see right through him... the Blue old style spirit figures are quite opaque and you can't see anything through them...

I am happy you seem to like my name though.

Darth Spectre
05-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Am still waiting to see the new Obi-Wan to decided personally, but I have high hopes for the new version. I liked the old ones, even though the original Obi-Wan was more a hunk of plastic than an action figure, but it still was extremely cool at the time.

JediTricks
05-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Well for me this is a 2 part vote but I voted old style.

The old style Holograms look better than the newer color versions IMO. As I stated in the other thread the color isn't the problem its that they aren't translucent enough. The progression from all blue to color holograms is accurate.

As for the Jedi Spirit figures I'd have to say I prefer the new color versions over the old frosted all blue look. The Jedi Spirits always had a bit of color to them in the films anyways, making these newer versions more accurate. I do think they should tone the color down a bit and have more of a blue aura around them though in order to set them apart from the hologram figures though.I thought about having 2 middle questions "I like the new Holos but not new Spirits" and vice-versa, but ultimately axed it for simplicity's sake. In retrospect, I should have put them in and just risked the potential confusion for clarity's sake as I am genuinely curious on this issue as to what folks are thinking about these.

I agree with you about the Holo figs not being clear enough, but I voted for the new style none the less, this new style just seems better to me (on both fronts). To me, Holo Sidious is not an exception here because the character was dressed in all black and only showed fleshy face & hands, the figure portrays this well (although the paint on mine is a bit uneven). That's not to say the blue Spirit figs of old didn't amuse me, they were ok for their time, but they're not up to snuff anymore.

Skeeziks, on top of translucency, I think Hasbro also needs to lighten the fleshtone plastic colors several shades beyond what they THINK they need because so far they look like they're another ethnicity.

I can't imagine how they'd do a three dimensional aura, that affect works on 2D because it's just an outline, but in 3D it really would be surrounding the figure entirely, which wouldn't really look very good I think.

I'm really surprised to see the new ones winning, most of the posts go the other way and when I last saw this poll it was a close race with Old slightly in the lead.

mrpauldeeds
05-29-2004, 11:24 PM
The new ones look really cool, with the color and glitter effect. The new ones look more like they did in the movies. (as spirits) I think the old blue ones should be used as holographs, and the new ones should be used as spirits.