PDA

View Full Version : The Day After Tomorrow

RooJay
05-25-2004, 12:14 AM
I have to say that the disaster/survival genre really does it for me as a filmgoer. I'm surprised that there has been little if any discussion of this movie on these boards yet.
I know that movies of this type tend to have a general sort of love/hate relationship with movie audiences, even more so when they involve Roland Emmerich or his frequent filmmaking buddy. I do have to say, however, that this one looks to be a winner. I caught a special ten minute preview of the flick earlier this month at San Fransisco's Wonder Con and I was heartily impressed. The acting looks at least decent from what I've seen - I expect good things from this cast, by the way - and the special effects look outstanding (just as one might expect from a film of this type)! I greatly look forward to checking it out. How 'bout you folks?

Rocketboy
05-25-2004, 07:52 AM
I'll probably see it, but I'm not sure when. Not too hyped about it. Independence Day and Godzilla were cool in the theaters as popcorn flicks, but get harder and harder to watch as time goes on.

QLD
05-25-2004, 09:56 AM
I am going to see it. The movie is based off a book by Art Bell, who's radio show I enjoy.

James Boba Fettfield
05-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Coast to Coast Art Bell?

I didn't know that. That show has held some talks about some very weird stuff.

Hellboy
05-25-2004, 05:18 PM
Well I'll be checking this out Friday. I think it looks promising but I definately fall into the worried category here. "Independence Day" and "Godzilla" were complete crap IMO, heavy on effects and light on story, but I'm willing to give this film a shot.

I'm with you RooJay regarding the enjoyment I get from disaster movies, especially if they have zombies in them. :dead: :D

El Chuxter
05-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Wasn't the original premise of The Core the same exact thing -- a series of disasters every (fill in the blank) years?

I think I'll be passing. Especially with Shrek 2, Harry Potter 3, Spidey 2, etc, etc, etc; it just doesn't seem to be on the same level.

Exhaust Port
05-25-2004, 09:15 PM
I got burned out on natural disaster movies about 6 or so years ago when they were released by the dozen. The special effects do look outstanding but I think I've been burned one to many times to go to a movie just because the trailer looked cool.

RooJay
05-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Wasn't the original premise of The Core the same exact thing -- a series of disasters every (fill in the blank) years?

I think I'll be passing. Especially with Shrek 2, Harry Potter 3, Spidey 2, etc, etc, etc; it just doesn't seem to be on the same level.

Actually, I believe the Core (I have yet to see it) was a "we screwed ourselves, now we have to stop it and save the day" kind of thing (weapons testing or something of that nature). This one is more of a "this would've happened regardless, and we're totally screwed no matter what we do so we'd better make the best of it". There seems to be something regarding a massive excess of greenhouse gasses that escape from a pocket in the arctic ice that ruins everyone's day. I'm sure there'll be some mention of global warming caused by pollution speeding things along, but I'm certain there'll be no "our only hope" last ditch efforts to prevent the disaster to provide the typical Hollywood happy ending in this one.

QLD
05-27-2004, 01:38 AM
Coast to Coast Art Bell?

I didn't know that. That show has held some talks about some very weird stuff.

Yep, the same one. Art only does the show on weekends now, but they always have interesting topics.

derek
05-28-2004, 04:10 PM
I am going to see it. The movie is based off a book by Art Bell, who's radio show I enjoy.

then why aren't there any aliens in it? and i didn't see dennis quaid doing any remote viewing! lol

my take.................it's pure communist propaganda. :p just joking.......really lol

seriously, it was OK as a disaster flick, once you get past the obvious political digs at bush and cheney. they cast a president and VP that looked just like them. SNL couldn't of done any better.(in fact i would of loved to of seen will ferrell playing the pres) they even had "bush" ask "cheney"........"what do i do?" at a crucial point......and made it plainly obvious that the VP was really the one running things. :rolleyes:

it's too bad some gullible kids will walk away believing this crap....... :sur:

this film would of been better suited for a made for TV movie of the week, but was still better than van helsing!

if you want a recent movie to see, then see in them this order:

troy, man on fire, mean girls, the day after tomorrow, and if you're really desperate, see troy again, and then van helsing, or just rent rollerball.

Hellboy
05-28-2004, 10:40 PM
This was a decent movie. If you liked what you saw in the trailer then you should be pleased here. Don't get me wrong its nothing special but I wasn't really expecting much so I was a bit surprised when I started getting into it.

The effects are amazing, especially the tidal wave that floods Manhatten. The acting was decent too but some of the supporting characters didn't really feel necessary or very interesting. It did lack a bit of the emotion and overall sense of loss I'd normally expect from a disaster movie and I wish there were more storm scenes but what we got was very cool.

As far as summer movies go I'd say its worth a trip to the theater but I'll most likely rent rather than buy once it's released on DVD.

mabudonicus
05-29-2004, 08:02 AM
Funny that scientists are forbidden to speak about this film, guess we won't hear Emperor Howdy's take on it. (I'll leave it at that, the forbidden thing, it's true in case you care)

But it looks like it would have been a better TV movie, to me... I think I'll see it when it comes out on video :beard:

I could say more, but it wouldn't make sense when Dereks post gets edited for content :)

stillakid
05-29-2004, 08:55 AM
troy, man on fire, mean girls, the day after tomorrow, and if you're really desperate, see troy again, and then van helsing, or just rent rollerball.

Ouch! ;)

derek
05-29-2004, 01:30 PM
I could say more, but it wouldn't make sense when Dereks post gets edited for content :)

i don't think my post needs any editing for political content. the rules state politics can be discussed when they relate directly to a particular flim, and i think i stayed in those bounds.:)

the writer of this film is obviously left leaning, a member of the anti-industrial revolution and has issues with bush and cheney. it was almost comical that they cast guys that looked just like them....and as i said above, they should of just gone all out and had will ferrill and darryl hammond play those roles. lol

by the way, did anyone find it funny that dennis quaid was buzzing around in his little electric car, but when it came time for a real car, he got a gas guzzeling SUV? :crazed:

and was i the only one who wanted to start yeling out lines from other films during the movie? .......for example:

when they had that crane shot of the statue of liberty, i wanted to do my best charleton heston impersonation: "damn you! damn you all to hell, you blew it!"

.....or when the shot of new york frozen in snow and ice: i wanted so bad to do my jim carrey cable guy impersonation of kevin costner in waterworld, "DRY LAND IS NOT A MYTH" lol

derek
05-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Ouch! ;)

i was just checking to see if you're keeping up with your reading. ;)

Turbowars
05-29-2004, 01:46 PM
i don't think my post needs any editing for political content. the rules state politics can be discussed when they relate directly to a particular flim, and i think i stayed in those bounds.:)

the writer of this film is obviously left leaning, a member of the anti-industrial revolution and has issues with bush and cheney. it was almost comical that they cast guys that looked just like them....and as i said above, they should of just gone all out and had will ferrill and darryl hammond play those roles. lol

by the way, did anyone find it funny that dennis quaid was buzzing around in his little electric car, but when it came time for a real car, he got a gas guzzeling SUV? :crazed:

and was i the only one who wanted to start yeling out lines from other films during the movie? .......for example:

when they had that crane shot of the statue of liberty, i wanted to do my best charleton heston impersonation: "damn you! damn you all to hell, you blew it!"

.....or when the shot of new york frozen in snow and ice: i wanted so bad to do my jim carrey cable guy impersonation of kevin costner in waterworld, "DRY LAND IS NOT A MYTH" lolSUV? It was a New Dodge Ram Pick-up. Try not to to get them mixed up. lol It was funny though. A bit hypercritical, but you know the world was ending, so what the hell.

Hell yeah about the Planet of the Apes line.

derek
05-29-2004, 02:59 PM
SUV? It was a New Dodge Ram Pick-up. Try not to to get them mixed up

my bad, but really all an SUV is is a pick-up with a roof on the bed and a few seats added on. :p

Pendo
05-30-2004, 11:51 AM
It was an enjoyable movie, much better than Troy :). I thought the bit with the 'really realistic looking' :rolleyes: wolves was out of place, but other than that it was a good enjoyable movie with some good special effects (excluding the wolves) :)!

PENDO!

Exhaust Port
06-01-2004, 09:25 AM
Ugh, I actually went and saw this movie. I was visiting family and a few of us decided to see a movie. It turned out that this was the only movie showing that I hadn't seen yet so off we went. This movie SUCKED! I won't bother to tear through it scene by scene but it could be easily done. I was amazed by the common reaction in a packed theater. During every idiotic scene or stupid dialog the whole theater was outspoken or just plain laughed. Even during the most "touching" scenes we were all groaning or laughing. The audience participation was very entertaining. Without that the whole evening would have been a disaster.

bigbarada
06-07-2004, 12:14 AM
A friend of mine worked on a lot of the special effects for this film, so I felt a little obligated to go see it on opening weekend. They had to completely recreate NYC as a CG-model for the tidal wave scenes and he (with his architectural background) was one of the artists who built it.

Anyways, as far as disaster flicks go, this was one of the best out there. That's not really saying a lot, but it was still pretty fun to watch.

I'm not sold on the "science" behind this at all, though. I don't really believe in global warming, it's just a lot of alarmist nonsense to me. But I think this movie (in it's attempt to create awareness of the "problem") might have destroyed its own credibility by pushing the plausibility of it all past the breaking point. I took them more seriously when they were just talking about temperature shifts and melting polar ice caps (which have been melting at the same rate for over 150 years, so how can it be caused by global warming?); but gigantic tidal waves washing away cities and then instantly freezing into glaciers to create a "second Ice Age?" Nonsense! Especially when I don't even believe that there was a first Ice Age.

Pendo, you're right about those wolves, they were awful. The instant you see them onscreen you think, "Hey CG-wolves.... very bad CG-wolves."

Did anyone else feel that the ending was a little anti-climactic?

One last interesting tidbit, in what was probably the most insightful scene in the film, the reporter doing the story on American refugees flooding into Mexico was one of our local reporters from El Paso, Robert Holguin. I think the audience over here recognizing a local face in a big-budget film like this probably got more of a response than any of the human drama of the story.