PDA

View Full Version : WHY don't you even collect the cards, but... ?

Bel-Cam Jos
12-16-2001, 07:09 PM
The above title has an inside meaning. Ask us about it sometime.

Obviously, this section is one of the least-visited (or at least posted in) on SSG. Why don't collectors like trading cards anymore? Tell us about it. Maybe someone important will read this and change things...

JediTricks
12-17-2001, 01:01 AM
For me, they became too expensive, the cards had too little info, the pics weren't as exciting, and there were too many gimmicky cards. If there was a series of cards that looked really nice and clear, and focused on one aspect like vehicles or weapons or background aliens or whatever, and didn't have a bunch of HTF chase cards, I'd be interested, but I haven't seen that lately.

Wolfwood319
12-17-2001, 01:55 AM
Are we talking about the ccg or just collectable cards in general?

I stopped playing the ccg long ago when I got bored of the game.

As for plain old collector cards, I usually just buy a box or a full set somewhere down the road. I don't like buying individual packs and trading. I just like to get the whole set in one fell swoop. The last series I got I think were the chromium "Finest" series and the SE widevision series. I haven't gotten any series after that. Cards just don't interest me any more.

BTW, this is the first time I've ever posted in this particular forum.:D

Bel-Cam Jos
12-17-2001, 06:29 PM
My intent was for trading cards in general. I really don't have much knowledge about CCG cards, but since they have a second aspect (they're game pieces, basically) they can appeal to more than just collectors.

I echo JT's first comment: they're too much for too little for me. The quality has gone up, but not high enough to justify paying $1.50-plus per card for some.

bigbarada
12-17-2001, 10:02 PM
I really liked the widevision movie cards, but most of the lines that followed became too gimmicky. If someone would just release a cheap set of cards with clear hi-res photos of all the movie scenes, characters and vehicles, I would be happy.

No foil, holo-foil, hologram, die-cut, embossed, metallized, etc gimmick, just high quality pics at a cheap price and I'm sold.

stillakid
12-17-2001, 10:35 PM
I fondly recall the days when one could visit the local five and dime and pick up a 3-pack of ESB cards for a buck. For a kid with limited income, trading cards were the best way to get closer to a movie that you enjoyed. The toys were reserved for special occasions like birthdays and Christmas's.

The price of cards these days is criminal. I'm completely out of the "buying a single pack of cards" business, but I've bought complete sets of WideVision when the opportunity arises. Aside from the foil inserts, it just isn't cost effective to purchase single packs of cards to try to complete a set. It is actually cheaper to buy the entire complete set of standard cards from someone and pay the extra money to buy foil cards at a premium. Clearly, card collecting isn't what it used to be, especially for kids. Sad.

I'd love to collect everything, including the CCG cards, but for now my budget allows action figures, accessories, playsets, ships, and WideVision complete sets where applicable.

Collecting isn't the kid-centered thing that it used to be....or should be. :(

Rollo Tomassi
12-18-2001, 09:41 AM
I think I am the only forumite actively collecting the CCG cards. Theed Palace expansion just came out recently. I haven't collected regular SW trading cards since SW Galaxy II almost 10 years ago.

GONK! (sorry, couldn't resist...:D )

Bel-Cam Jos
12-18-2001, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
I fondly recall the days when one could visit the local five and dime and pick up a 3-pack of ESB cards for a buck. For a kid with limited income, trading cards were the best way to get closer to a movie that you enjoyed. The toys were reserved for special occasions like birthdays and Christmas's.

I'm completely out of the "buying a single pack of cards" business, but I've bought complete sets of WideVision when the opportunity arises. Aside from the foil inserts, it just isn't cost effective to purchase single packs of cards to try to complete a set. It is actually cheaper to buy the entire complete set of standard cards from someone and pay the extra money to buy foil cards at a premium. Clearly, card collecting isn't what it used to be, especially for kids. Sad.

Collecting isn't the kid-centered thing that it used to be....or should be. :(

I agree with you 103%, stillakid! Your name is SO appropriate here!

Taichi
04-17-2002, 07:03 PM
Hmm

I fondly remember being able to buy a pack of ESB cards, That's Eight cards, and one sticker, in all their pulpy cardstock glory.....fuzzy pictures, ugly borders, and hard to read text.....for a quarter a pack.......

and I got a free stick of gum that was not only tasteless, but also bulletproof!!!......I remember breaking my jaw on piece after piece of that nasty stuff.......and loving every minute of it........

nowadays, you need financial aid to buy a complete set of cards, due to the number of holograms, chromiums, foils, die cuts, and other chase cards........

I remember when the only 'Chase Cards' were the damn stickers, and since we used them AS stickers, we didn't even think of them as part of the actual set.........

SithDroid
04-17-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Taichi
Hmm

I fondly remember being able to buy a pack of ESB cards, That's Eight cards, and one sticker, in all their pulpy cardstock glory.....fuzzy pictures, ugly borders, and hard to read text.....for a quarter a pack.......

and I got a free stick of gum that was not only tasteless, but also bulletproof!!!......I remember breaking my jaw on piece after piece of that nasty stuff.......and loving every minute of it........

nowadays, you need financial aid to buy a complete set of cards, due to the number of holograms, chromiums, foils, die cuts, and other chase cards........

I remember when the only 'Chase Cards' were the damn stickers, and since we used them AS stickers, we didn't even think of them as part of the actual set.........

Ah, yes, those cards sure do bring back memories. I used to collect tons of cards especially superhero ones up until 1995 or so. I just got bored with them. The same figures on the cards year after year with only new artwork. Plus I was getting sick and tired of trying to get all the chase, chromium, holo-foil, hologram, etc.. cards.

As for SW cards, I'd collect them if they were cheaper. I just can't justify buying a pack of cards (which nowadays is usually 8-10 per pack) for $1.50-$3.00 a pop. Make them like 15 cards per pack with a maximum price of $1.00 and perhaps I'd get some, but the cost is just way too much for what you get, which is essentially just paper. This is also the main reason why I have cut back on comic book collecting. When I first started collecting comic books back in 1988 the most expensive ones only cost a dollar. That is a fairly reasonable price. But nowadays the price of comic books averages $3.00 a piece. That is an insane amount for just one book. I realize that the price increase is probably due to the better paper, inks, artwork, etc.. that they are using, but come on now, that's no reason that a person has to give an arm and a leg to keep up with all the monthly titles they collect.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-22-2002, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
I fondly recall the days when one could visit the local five and dime and pick up a 3-pack of ESB cards for a buck.

Man, I got them even cheaper than that...around 50 - 65 cents per pack and there were about 15 cards in each pack PLUS bubble gum. I think I'm with BCJ and JT - I don't collect anymore because it's too expensive and there's like FIVE cards in a pack that costs 3.50....NO WAY...that's FIGURE money!!! And they're all GLITZY now... it's like a drag show.... to see what card can out-do the others???!!!! SHEESH! Whatever happened to the cheapy-smell-good flimsyplast cardboard! Ahhhh!...the good ol' days!

Does ANYONE in these forums have the old 1994 Topps Star Wars Galaxy Trading Cards Millennium Falcon Factory Set? I sure would like to know what YOU think about it please! :) Thanks

wuher
07-23-2002, 06:34 AM
Hi there
I just wait until they hit the bargin bin, 50p a packet.
Then just a few card to pick up and complete the set.
If lucky I could get over half of the chase cards as well.
Regards Wuher

Jonna
07-23-2002, 10:38 AM
I use to collect cards just for the sake of collecting, but it just got expensive. Then I started again with the CCG in college because practically everyone I knew there played, but after college there was just no one to play cards with so I stopped all together.

This feels really funny in this section.

Eternal Padawan
07-26-2002, 04:34 PM
What feels really funny in this section?

Actually TALKING about cards?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-26-2002, 11:31 PM
Kids today just don't understand, EP. Back in our day...

Trails off in despair...

Rogue II
07-27-2002, 01:23 AM
Ah yes, the gum, the sticker, the cards. For what, 30 cents? Much simpler time.

I picked up a few packs of the Chrome Archives and the Galaxy cards. They were kinda pricey and somewhat hard to find(I only found them at a comic book store). Looking back, I wish I picked up some more. I'm considering buying some off of EBay.

scruffziller
08-06-2002, 06:29 AM
I use to buy entire boxes of Magic The Gathering. For like $80 a pop. Or try buying 10 cards for $120. The original dual lands.

scruffziller
08-09-2002, 03:06 PM
Now I just download entire series onto my computer for the Magic Encyclopedia.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-09-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I use to buy entire boxes of Magic The Gathering. For like $80 a pop. Or try buying 10 cards for $120. The original dual lands.

I think buying a whole box is way cheaper and more fun than buying them in individual boosters or getting the cards by themselves. Did you find that to be the case SZ?

OC47150
08-16-2002, 04:40 PM
Like Taichi and Stillakid, I remember going to the corner grocery store, five-and-dime and drug store and spending my hard-earned money on packs of SW trading cards. I remember buying more packs of ANH cards than ESB; I never bought any ROJ cards.

With my luck, I ended up getting at least one or two cards in the pack I'd just traded for that day on the playground at lunch!

Yeah, the gum was tasteless.

I don't know about other areas, but there is no market for trading cards in my area. They are readily available at retail and comic shops but forget about trying to buy loose or sell back cards. There is only one comic shop in my area that sells loose cards.

I still enjoy the cards.

Since we're on the subject, does anyone remember the set of 20 - 50 cards that came in the long clear packs? I think some place like Kmart and Target (Airway in my area in the late 1970s and early 1980s) sold them.

2-1B
08-11-2003, 03:05 AM
I still love cards but I only buy them a few times per year now . . . this weekend was one time (WizardWorld dealers) and then the other time this year was the X2 release.

Put me down for a third session this year because next month we're going to a pretty big card show and I know I'll find a few sets but really, that's the extent of my yearly collecting.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Noticed this on the Star Wars website:

What type of Star Wars merchandise do you most like to collect?
Poll Dates: 10/7/03 - 10/14/03
action figures 44%
busts 0%
lightsabers 19%
comics 6%
models 6%
posters 9%
cards 1%
all of the above 15%

So, they still really DON'T even collect the cards, but... :rolleyes:

OC47150
10-08-2003, 08:38 AM
That's interesting, BCJ. Thanks for sharing.

It's been almost a year since the last series of cards came out. Gotta wonder if we're gonna wait until '05 for the next set or if Topps has something up its sleeve?

stillakid
10-08-2003, 08:46 AM
The above title has an inside meaning. Ask us about it sometime....

Okay, I'll bite...what does it mean?

TeeEye7
10-23-2003, 06:45 AM
I never did collect the cards......... ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
01-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Okay, I'll bite...what does it mean?After almost a decade? Alright. There was this thread and...

Anywoo... so, are they dead? Has the moving image killed off the static trading card yet? I've been finding some complete sets online for good deals lately. That means it's another SW collectible genre of which I'm closing in on being "completed." Here's now what complete sets I have, listed (LISTS... :drool: ) by cool-ability.

REALLY COOL:
Art of Ralph McQuarrie metal
ANH Widevision 3di
SW Galaxy 1-6
ESB Widevision 3D
SOTE
SW Evolutions/Update
SW Finest
Heritage
Chrome Archives
30th Anniversary

NOSTALGIC COOL:
SW sets 1-5, sticker sets 1-2, 5
ESB sets 1-3
ROJ sets 1-2, sticker sets 1-2
Burger King ESB
SW Bakers Promotions

SORT OF COOL:
TPM Widevision 3di
AOTC Widevision
Art of Ralph McQuarrie Celebration IV
ESB Widevision
Legacy Revealed motion
SW: Special Ed.

NOT SO COOL:
Clone Wars cartoon Seasons 1-3
Episode I Widevision 1-2
SW Vehicles
Merlin SW Special Edition
ROTS Widevision
CW movie

UNCOOL:
none!

I have only a few incomplete sets left (ROTS & AOTC non-Widevision, ROJ & ESB & Trilogy:SE Widevision), but I like the frozen aspect of cards, seeing it all together slide by slide, rather than a running (or repeating) series of moving imagery. Plus, piecing the set together cards at a time is fun. That's just me.