PDA

View Full Version : Pan & Scam/Foolscreen format of movies. Do they cut out whole shots?

scruffziller
05-29-2004, 12:32 PM
I had noticed(SW Trilogy in particular) that have now watched the OT(and other movies) in proper OAR, that the Full Screen format seems to cut whole shots to compensate for the time being taken to pan & scan in a one single shot that you would otherwise see at the same time. Granted, they might have been a few seconds but I noticed things I do not remember seeing and it was a shot that would not have been compromised due to choping the sides of the picture off. Am I imagining things or not?

derek
05-29-2004, 01:39 PM
i don't know about that, but i do know that full screen isn't always bad as some say.

take T3 for example. in the opening scenes of the T-X arriving, in the full screen version, you get to see full shots of the actress' chest and behind, but in the widescreen version, those "assets" are cropped out. :eek:

Ji'dai
05-29-2004, 10:59 PM
^ That's gotta be the best argument for Full Screen format I've heard.

scruffziller
05-30-2004, 09:17 AM
i don't know about that, but i do know that full screen isn't always bad as some say.

take T3 for example. in the opening scenes of the T-X arriving, in the full screen version, you get to see full shots of the actress' chest and behind, but in the widescreen version, those "assets" are cropped out. :eek:
Really......................................:eek:

Exhaust Port
06-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Stilla or JJB, could you refresh our memories when it comes to widescreen vs. full screen when it's shot by the director. Is the footage filmed at the studio actually in the widescreen dimensions or do they crop it down to that in post-production? It seems that at least in a few instances that the footage is cropped to the widescreen dimension as in derek's example.

<scampers out to rent T3>

Rocketboy
06-03-2004, 12:11 PM
I thought all movies were filmed in widescreen and full screen just meant that it was cropped to fit your tv.

Exhaust Port
06-03-2004, 12:15 PM
I believe that is the case in most instances but it seems from what Derek has "uncovered" that some footage has been modified for the widescreen format.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I'd definitely direct this at JJB or Stilla...maybe PM them. I'm sure they'd have the answer asap!

Now I'm all curious too, about scenes getting cut from full screen movies :confused:

derek
06-03-2004, 03:32 PM
I believe that is the case in most instances but it seems from what Derek has "uncovered" that some footage has been modified for the widescreen format.

JJB and stilla can elabotate on this a whole lot better than i can, and even they'll disagree on the details, but i know for a fact that even some "widescreen" films are cropped. take T2 or T3 for example:

when you're watching the widescreen version, there are images above and below the black bars that have been cropped out. and when you're watching the full screen version, you're seeing some if not all of the parts that have been cropped out of the widescreen version, except the sides, which are cropped out for full screen. :beard:

i think stilla posted before that sometimes directors will crop out the top and bottoms to hide microphones or wires or other stuff.

EDIT:

here's a link to stillakid and JJB's widescreen discussion:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=206510&postcount=19

and to read the whole thread:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=16613

Exhaust Port
06-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Ah, thanks Derek.

2-1B
06-21-2004, 02:05 AM
OH MY GOSH, derek you weren't kidding ! ! ! lol lol lol

I was watching Six Feet Under tonight on HBO when I noticed that T3 was coming up next. Well, since HBO plays movies in fullscreen, I figured I would stay tuned (in the interest of science :D ) and no kidding, it DEFINITELY seemed like I was getting a better look at "the goods" belonging to the lovely Ms. Kristanna Loken.

Sure enough, right after "I like this car" ;) , I put in my DVD and skipped to that widescreen scene for verification.

Damn, I better tape it next time it's on HBO . . . for archival reasons. :crazed:

Val Da Car
06-28-2004, 10:10 AM
For me it is the motion sickness that Pan & Scam does....

Just watch Wild Things when Kevin Bacon gets off the boat on the dock and the camera stops and goes three times (I think) to keep him in the shot.

I can ride any roller coaster and I am fine...I watch that scene and I need a bucket!

Grievous
06-28-2004, 11:51 AM
Oh my good sweet God, I just saw pictures of the fullscreen scene on Google, and that definitely wasn't in the widescreen version I saw! But that really doesn't make sense!