PDA

View Full Version : Endor Ambush 4-pack - Worst set ever?

LTBasker
05-30-2004, 02:33 AM
GH recently added preview pics of the Endor Ambush 4-pack http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=2854&zoneid=2 - and frankly...this is the lowest thing Hasbro's done in this series. Not a single item is actually new or modified to be different.

Even the Jedi 4-pack had a never before released item...and the Carkoon set has a unique (for the most part) Han figure.

Things that would've made this better?

-Used the Saga/CW Clone bike as a base for the Imperial bike instead of the '95 mold.
-Upped the detail on the Biker Scout
-Used POTJ Bespin Han for the Endor Han. (Just take away the long jacket, add a new trench and repaint the arms?)
-At least made the Endor Soldier different looking in some way...
-The Ewoks are kind of fine actually since we haven't had Logray available in awhile, but even then that's not helping it much..

I can understand rereleasing old figs on cards...but this is just frickin lazy.

Kidhuman
05-30-2004, 02:40 AM
I kind of dig it. To me it looks good. They could of added a new Ewok, or put Paploo in it,since Wicket will be on the OTC cards but for the most part it looks real good. I really like the bike and the scout.

Repost of link here (http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=2854&zoneid=2) so you dont have to copy and paste.

plasticfetish
05-30-2004, 03:50 AM
No, I don't think it's the "worst" set ever.

I agree, something (anything) new would have been better, but it's not a bad group of toys. In my mind the Carkoon set is worse because of that Han figure. Honestly, I don't have any of these Endor figures loose right now -- gave some to my kid, never bought the Endor soldier at all -- so, I'll grab this set.

Like the new box style a lot also!

mm74md
05-30-2004, 06:54 AM
I don't think. I won't even get the Carkoon set for my kids. This would be a great Christmas present for my son...he loves his Playskool endor set.

I agree that a new Han Endor would've been nice. But I think these sets are all geared toward new collectors & kids who never had an interest or chance to get these before.

Banthaholic
05-30-2004, 09:54 AM
While yes, it would have been nice if they just repainted Logray or wicket for a generic ewok, this set still does give us two army builders.
I like this set because of the speeder bike, I can always use a few more.

Turbowars
05-30-2004, 10:52 AM
Wow from a distance it looks great, just like a Monet painting. Yes it's bad, but looks cool in the OTC packaging. Once you find out that the bike and Scout are the POTF2 versions you kind of loose interest. Did we all expect Hasbro to make SA Scout for this set? That's what I thought. To me it's better than the last set, but that's not really saying to much. Great gift for kids though!

sith_killer_99
05-30-2004, 11:15 AM
:ermm:

I have plenty of these figures, and then some. :rolleyes: This isn't a very impressive set, I like the idea of Han (Bespin Capture) with a new coat, that would have rocked!

However, I still think the Carkoon set is the worst.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-30-2004, 12:27 PM
This is crap! At least the other sets had something new to offer. Maybe if they had a new Han, the beardless soldier, and repainted the Ewoks to make new ones, I would think of buying this set, but it's just bad.

dindae
05-30-2004, 01:16 PM
I look at it like the rest of the repacked figure in the OTC line. The packing is nice but its nothing to get excited about. The only way this is better than the carkoon set for me is there is nothing new to make me want one to open.

Reefer Shark
05-30-2004, 01:25 PM
I'd say it's a good deal if you don't have those figures already.... but pretty much anyone that wanted any of these figures wouldn't have had any poblem finding them at retail way back when. They were all pretty common.

Hell, you could probably get all these figures off ebay for a cheaper price than this crap-pack. It's pretty sad that they couldn't even modify any of the figures just a little bit. I have no desire for this one, but that doesn't suprise me. The 4 packs have consitantly sucked after the Rebel Hoth one.

Old Fossil
05-30-2004, 02:46 PM
Reissues like this are killing my interest in this hobby. :frus:

keithfite
05-30-2004, 02:51 PM
I think as far as looks, this set looks great. something nice to keep MOC. But it still sickens me. alls I ask is at least one thing new or different. I have bought every TRU 4 pack to this point. The stupidist and most boreing to look at is probably carkoon. I bought it for the han, and do indeed like the figure, but it just wasnt that thrilling
But if they would just put variations or one thing new, I would get it. they could have made the ewoks different, or the soldier, and used a different han and put a real cloth trench on him. just something. I have everything in this as many do, I may get it just to keep MOC, but i think this is the biggest waste of plastic I have seen in a while. But then again, for any who missed out on these or are just starting to get figures, especially the youth of america this set kicks ***. I guess its just depends.

Hellboy
05-30-2004, 03:09 PM
I don't have any problem with Hasbro reissuing figures but why not put something in the pack that was difficult to find the first time around.

I think the pack would've been better if they gave us Paploo on the Speeder Bike and instead of another Wicket, who is already being offered individually in the OTC line, :stupid: give us another clean POTJ Scout Trooper.

I'll pass... :dis:

Jay86
05-30-2004, 04:16 PM
I'll pass on this set just because I have all those figures already. And whoever said they should have used the Saga Speeder Bike was right, I've thought that since I first heard about this set. Other than that, they prolly could have tweaked some stuff and made the set a little more interesting rather than rehashing old stuff, but Hasbro's been doing that a lot as of late, so its no surprise. All the other 4-packs have had something worth getting in them, well all but the Skirmish set which was also a bunch of rehashes (mostly). All in all, I could care less about this 4-pack, I'm waiting for the Naboo one thats due out towards the end of the year.

LTBasker
05-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Did we all expect Hasbro to make SA Scout for this set?

I didn't, I expected the Endor Soldier so that's not a -real huge- loss. The Logray and Wickets I actually need, but I was hoping they'd at least rescale the Scout Trooper sculpt and add a little more detail. Since we have the Biker Scout being released in the OTC line around the same time, one that's made to only go on the bike would be fine. But that sculpt looks ugly on the bike..and I hoped they would at least use the more accurate bike sculpt they used for the Saga deluxe Clones. That and Logray & Wicket would've made it worth my $20, but like this? No way.

JediTricks
05-30-2004, 09:40 PM
What the hell? That bike mold is 20 years old, there's NO reason they couldn't have used the Saga AOTC version instead. And the Saga line also had a cloth trenchcoat released for Saga Han Endor, it was in a Target-exclusive accessory pack and that figure should have had that trenchcoat here. And everybody's points about the wrong Ewoks being in this set are totally justified. This set looks pretty weak and thoughtless, they chose poorly (especially with Wicket already released single-carded in the OTC line).

BoShek
06-03-2004, 08:05 PM
I am glad there isn't anything new-like one new figure. That would be bad.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-04-2004, 12:18 AM
I am in agreement on all points; wicket, the speeder bike, that this is great for kids etc.

I didn't expect a better Han, but I am surprised we didn't get a new head for the rebel trooper and a repainted ewok.

What I think is great about this set ist that since it's all stuff I already have--I don't have to buy it!! :D

Silent Chazz
06-04-2004, 04:06 PM
What upsets me is I dont have 4 of the 5 figures in this so when I get it, I'll be stuck with an extra He-Man-Buffed Movie-Inaccurate White shirted Han with bulky Plastic Trench Coat. The Scout Trooper, the Rebel, and the 2 Ewoks I dont have though so I look forward to getting this set.

Kidhuman
06-04-2004, 11:52 PM
You can always melt the Han in your microwave.

aceguide
06-09-2004, 03:22 PM
I don't know - I think the jedi 4 pack was the worst, followed by carkoon. This one is not that bad - my beef is with the price point. Everyone seems to mildly agree that these are for the kids and new collectors, so why not give them (the kids) a break and make the rehashes affordable.

King Returned
06-09-2004, 03:29 PM
not that bad, I'd buy it just for the scout on the speeder bike.

rust
06-09-2004, 04:50 PM
I think I'l get this. I need all the figs execept Han, and an extra Speeder Bike would be Okay. I would get two, but my pockets are probobly be empty from the Falcon I'm getting. And I still need the Carkoon pack...

JediTricks
06-09-2004, 11:34 PM
BTW, let me remind y'all just how pitiful Hasbro's last use of the Speederbike tooling was. The tools are several decades old, they still said "Tonka" on the copyright (because that's who owned Kenner at the time I guess) last I checked, and while the POTF2 one was roughly as good as the original, the version in the AT-ST was totally screwed up with parts popping off and stuff not standing on its own due to incorrect tolerances. This will make for a very poor play experience, so I'm hoping Hasbro has the smarts to do some repairs to counter the tool degradation and whatnot.

Kidhuman
06-09-2004, 11:46 PM
Who says I am gpoing to open it. Thats what the Vintage one I have is for.

JediTricks
06-10-2004, 12:14 AM
I wasn't really referring to the completists, though I doubt they want pieces flopping around their sealed boxes. My mindset was for people who buy these intent on opening them and displaying or playing with them.

Jaff
06-10-2004, 05:26 AM
I would agree that the Endor Ambush pack is really junk if you have all the figures in it. Just like the Bounty Hunter, and Jedi sets the Endor set will sit on the shelves because they really need to introduce at least 1 new fig in a set in order to push sales. Too bad this can't be reasoned at Hasbro.

Hellboy
06-10-2004, 04:55 PM
I wish the Speederbikes got more attention. I've never really been pleased with the build quality of any of them. The Swoop bikes are far better.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-10-2004, 06:14 PM
I just realized that I can't remember (and all mys tuff is still packed in boxes) if any of the speeder bikes since and including POTF2 have the exploding action that the vintage ones did? Do they all have this feature, or have they made some that don't blow apart?

I think not having that feature is better play value for kids. Accidentally hit that button, and some poor parent is going to be reassembling that thing every two minutes until the pieces start getting lost. I speak from experience. I gave my kids some "Gargoyles" action figures and the exploding robot gargoyle drives my kids crazy.

As for the price value... I don't think that $20 for five figures and a small vehicle or weapon is unreasonable. Considering that each figure is $5 a piece that's twenty dollars without including the $10 biker scout and speeder bike.

Paying $20 for an exclusive droid is what we'd all be doing if it were offered through the fan club (including shipping) as we did w/ Ree-Yees, etc., and much cheaper than what people were paying for Amidala's ship to get the red R2 unit. Plus you generally get one army builder. Dump the rest on ebay or give them to some kids, and it's even better.

I'm still not buying this set though.

dindae
06-10-2004, 07:05 PM
The new ones explode also.

JediTricks
06-10-2004, 08:26 PM
I don't think the one in the AT-ST set does, nor does the prequel-era redesign.

El Chuxter
06-11-2004, 04:26 PM
No, the AT-ST one just falls apart like the doondoon it is.

As horribly bad as this set is, I think I prefer it to Carkoon or the Jedi set. Maybe even the Bounty Hunter set. With the Bounty Hunter set, you basically bought an overpriced swoop. Jedi included the stasis field, which I and many others would love to have, but not at that price. And Carkoon has a slightly recolored Nikto and the new Han, making it easier to not be a completist.

But this gives me no incentive whatsoever to buy it! And I won't feel bad about missing one thing from it. :D