PDA

View Full Version : DVD Multipacks

OCB
05-30-2004, 11:10 PM
Check em out here (http://www.jedidefender.com/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1085975351,60420,)

Turbowars
05-30-2004, 11:38 PM
What the hell? Do they come with the DVD, or are they just a pack of repacks? They do look kind of cool, but man oh man Hasbro is in repack heaven. Is that the POTF2 R2?:rolleyes:

dindae
05-31-2004, 01:10 AM
I really think Hasbro is pushing it. I'm just as ready to see the trilogy on DVD as the next guy but I don't think it is going to be that big of a buying blitz. I could easily see double figure sales but really aside from me who is going to buy this crap? The only strong side here is the ESB set. I was just moving my ESB stuff today and was thinking how all three of those figures were really good. But that the ANH set with that same obi-wan that is going to be out on card and the cup set. I would hope for these to be a promo items but I know I would have to buy three sets to get all three.

Hellboy
05-31-2004, 02:02 AM
Is that the POTF2 R2?:rolleyes:

Sure looks like it. Maybe thats why the ANH pack comes with 4 figures while the ESB and ROTJ packs come with just 3. :rolleyes:

I wonder what these will retail for?

Kidhuman
05-31-2004, 06:30 AM
WTF? I was thinking the same thing Turbo. I wonder if they come with the DVD. I checked Amazon gand it says nothing so they might retail. At least there is an Emperor figure in this set.

Beast
05-31-2004, 11:00 AM
Heh. Well, at least that solves the problem of not being able to find the damn New Emperor figure so far. So, I wonder who is going to get these things. I don't think there is any DVD's there. Since there's no markings anywhere that mention DVD's at all. It's just a set of repacks for each movie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
05-31-2004, 11:11 AM
I don't think there is any DVD's there. Since there's no markings anywhere that mention DVD's at all. It's just a set of repacks for each movie. Jar Jar BinksUmm yes it does say something about the DVD on the package. On the top of the ANH box it says Commemorative Trilogy DVD Collection. I figure it just means that these figures are celebrating the 1st release of the OT DVD and does not come with the DVD, but might be misleading to a regular Joe at Best Buy.

I see a 15.99-19.99 price tag on these. About 5 bucks per figure and another 3-4 bucks for the bad@ss packaging. R2 and 3PO count as 1.:rolleyes:

Beast
05-31-2004, 12:06 PM
I mean there's no specs listings for DVD's, so I doubt they actually come with the DVD's. Unless they actually printed the specs on the bottom. Which is unlikely. They're just repacks that will probably be an exclusive for some retailer, for when the DVD's come out. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
05-31-2004, 12:23 PM
Yeah I think you are right. Still think it's strange that they would put DVD on the package. How many people are going to buy this set and think they are getting a DVD? Quite a few I would think. I read before I buy, but there are impulse shoppers that don't read what they buy. They see DVD and that's it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-31-2004, 01:40 PM
Meh, since this is for new people who want to get multiple characters in one set (like the LOTR or X-Men sets) I think I'll pass. I can see where it would be confusing, if the DVD is in there or not, as it sure looks like it (from the front). At least they gave Chewbacca the best bowcaster and the stormtrooper the regular blaster.

Reefer Shark
05-31-2004, 02:02 PM
Even though these are all repacks, and I already have the figures, I hope I can find them.

I think they look great in that packaging, plus they are nice little groups of figures. If they're like $15 each, I'll try to get 'em (or at the very least, I'll get the ROTJ one).

Kidhuman
05-31-2004, 02:06 PM
Yeah I think you are right. Still think it's strange that they would put DVD on the package. How many people are going to buy this set and think they are getting a DVD? Quite a few I would think. I read before I buy, but there are impulse shoppers that don't read what they buy. They see DVD and that's it.

I know I will probably buy the ROTJ one just for the Emperor figure since I didnt find one beforehand. The rest I might as well get too.

Banthaholic
05-31-2004, 02:52 PM
Hasbro is really trying hard to kill the line.

Jay86
05-31-2004, 02:57 PM
Hasbro is really trying hard to kill the line.
I think they just dont realize that the release of the DVD's isnt all that great a thing, I mean yeah its cool because so many people have been waiting for this, but I doubt it constitutes every family thinking "lets go buy action figures!".....::sigh::.....if only Hasbro would just make figures that people really want. I mean I support the whole re-releasing figures to get kids into the hobby, but its basically an oxymoron to do so and then overdue it....granted they are releasing a few newer figures, and even the rereleases look great packaged, but too many rereleases is overkill.....besides, I think Hasbro needs to fix its distribution problems before it makes anything new or rehashes figures, theres some people, myself included, who havent even seen the Jabba's Palace or Yavin waves this year

Turbowars
05-31-2004, 03:06 PM
Do you have Targets or Walmarts around where you live? If so do you at least go at opening on the weekends?

Kidhuman
05-31-2004, 03:13 PM
Try buying online. There is a sight I put up in the Saga section under cheap online store. 6 bucks a figure plus shipping, cant go wrong. Or try getting cases from EE.

Jay86
05-31-2004, 03:26 PM
Turbowars - yup, I've got a Wal*Mart near me, and its useless to shop there because everytime I go out, its nothing but old 2002 Saga figures or even nothing at all. As far as Target goes, no to that one, well theres one sort of near me, but its a little too far out of the way to get to, and supposedly they're putting one in in a local mall, but thats not til July, but at least its something to possibly look forward too I guess......

kidhuman - As far as online shopping goes, I'm no stranger to it, trust me on that :D . I've bought about 90% of everything I own (figure-wise) online. I've been buying online for about 5-6 years now. And I've ordered from cheapfiguresonline more times than I can count, heck I just placed an order about an hour ago, and it was all for some newer figures I'm missing as well. I cant give that site enough praise either, because like you said, $6 per figure and standard shipping rates is as good as it gets. I'm sick of hoping I'll find new stuff in the local stores, granted I'm giving up the thrill of not knowing what'll be there and the great feeling you get when you do find new stuff, but oh well, in my case I'm about 1 for 20 now as far as finding anything new goes, the only new figure I found was Bossk a few weeks ago....I'd rather just get the figures and save gas money and time......

JEDIpartner
05-31-2004, 07:01 PM
Not so keen on these. They look like less thought out versions of Anniversary packs.

dindae
05-31-2004, 10:41 PM
I think they just dont realize that the release of the DVD's isnt all that great a thing, I mean yeah its cool because so many people have been waiting for this, but I doubt it constitutes every family thinking "lets go buy action figures!".....::sigh::.....if only Hasbro would just make figures that people really want. I mean I support the whole re-releasing figures to get kids into the hobby, but its basically an oxymoron to do so and then overdue it....granted they are releasing a few newer figures, and even the rereleases look great packaged, but too many rereleases is overkill.....besides, I think Hasbro needs to fix its distribution problems before it makes anything new or rehashes figures, theres some people, myself included, who havent even seen the Jabba's Palace or Yavin waves this year

I don't know if it is distribution anymore. If it was then there would be store with overflow of new figures. Now there are a few warmers like R-3po and hoth soldier that seem to be on the pegs everywhere plus the recarded Aayla and Bariss, but with most stores I see a lot of extra room. I think its become a hard sell for Hasbro for some reason and they have become complacent. For years all they have had to do is go "Hey look its Han, Leia, Luke and some weird aliens want to buy some" and the stores ate them up. Now its cooled off and while the collectors are happier with packaging and better sculpts the store owner don't care. Most see a number and say hey we sold 5 figures when we sell 7 more order a case. They don't care that they have 15 R-3p0s and they will never sell but the new wave will sell in two days. One of my local Walmarts is planning on getting figure in around christmas the other ordered four cases at once so naturally they got four of the same case. These were new figures and sold quickly but I can bet you that they didn't place another order for a week after that add on the weeks for the order to get in and that store just missed a wave. The biggest problem is the superstores see toys just like another other product. If you run out of can openers order more. Its too much trouble for them to cope. The Star wars line is the only one I know of that has a new wave of figures every month. Most lines average about 4 waves a year. Umm I kinda got side tracked there. But my point is that unless Hasbro is right and there is a massive surge in collecting or these recarded figures are really hard to find then there are going to be a bunch of repacked crap clogging the ailses instead of new figures.

PS Sorry for the rambling. I feel better really. :D

evenflow
06-01-2004, 11:17 AM
WHat is Hasbro thinking. I pass.

jedi master sal
06-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Here's the explanation:

This kinda came up on Hasbro quick. This is the same reason we are seeing so many repacks in the OTC line. Hasbro has been ramped up for the EPIII figures for awhile now and is in heavy development of those figures. To have a shot at making some money to coincide with the DVD release, they are recarding a bunch of figs in new packaging. NOT for the collector, but rather the casual fan who never collected. Those people will see these as a "throw-back" if you will to the vintage days and buy some out of nostalgia. The fact that Hasbro has three packs for the movies is brilliant. Once again this is to appeal to the non-collector. But of course they're smart and know that there will be a certain percent of sales that will come from die-hard completist anyway. They're not trying to kill the line. They just want to cash in on the DVD release as much as Lucas himself does.

I really wouldn't worry all that much. These will be out of stores by February or March next year then it's all EPIII figures, baby!

Think of it this way, if you don't want them, don't get them and save yourself some money. Be that for Celebration III, or EPIII figs.

-Sal

LTBasker
06-01-2004, 06:51 PM
The packs aren't toooo bad, at least as far as if you're buying one of each to keep packaged goes. Which I plan to do as long as they don't come with the DVDs. Kinda wish they had used POTF2 removeable helmet Vader, and a 300th Boba painted in ROTJ colors for the ROTJ pack instead of the EW Vader and that crappy Palpatine.

The packaging's kinda nice though, so hopefully they'll only be around $10-15 cause I wouldn't mind one of each.

OCB
06-01-2004, 11:10 PM
That whole "We had to do this to get stuff out for the DVD's" is baloney

You mean to tell me they didn't have any other OT figures at least planned when we all found out about the DVD's? The rest of the year was strictly going to be PT? I don't believe that for a second

I do see this as a big risk...I realize who these are for, but I also see many long time hard core collectors throwing their arms up in disgust and are saying I'm not going to buy this...I for one hope these new collectors take up that slack and the stores aren't forced to deal with piles of overstock as has happened almost every time they have tried this "new collector" stuff (Clone Wars, Ep II, Ep I and Shadows of the Empire) There is no reason that these packs couldn't have been the OTC...rehashes and rereleases of old inferior figures and the real carded figure line could have included the Bespin and Dagobah and VOTC lines plus some new OT figures.

A few other points...the line is not going to go on forever and I for one see this as a prime time where they could be filling out wishlists a plenty (Hermi Odle, Yarna, Handmaiden Padme, Cantina Aliens, Ewoks) and pumped out the VOTC and attracted new collectors and satisfied Old collectors too. Why have a OTC if you are making superior figures in the VOTC? They are saving tons of tooling and engineering money but perhaps at the cost of people saying enough is enough. This was thought to be a return to 2001 in the era of POTJ where Hasbro focused on the Collector. The first half of '04 was everything like that, this last half is like a kick square to the groin of the collector

Add on top of this the baffling choices of rereleasing the same bunch of figures 3-5 times in the last year. I understand the principal but how about mixing it up a little. BEspin Han, R2 Holo Leia, Cloud City Chewie, Repaint Spirit OTC Ben etc etc. OR...how about repainting a bunch of the older figures so they actually are "new"...repainted R2 units, repainted Ewoks, Han and Luke heads on the Stormtrooper bodies

I will be leaving these on the shelves, the packaging is nice, the figures are turds and from what I have read, most others are too. Lets all hope those "new collectors' take up the slack of what many are saying they aren't buying.

evenflow
06-02-2004, 08:46 AM
I think Hasbro is playing a very dangerous game. Like said above, I think that the stores will have a lot of stuff not bought becaise collector's will not buyt he same figures over and over again. I know I won't. We should be getting Yarna, Hermi, Dannik, etc...Instead we get the same figures over and over again.

Hellboy
06-02-2004, 06:18 PM
I really don't understand the hostility towards the OTC line and the repacking of figures in general for the roll-out of the OT on DVD. What is the big deal? If you don't like it don't buy it, simple as that. I challenge anyone to point out a better all around non-movie year as far as SW action figures are concerned. This year has been a fanboy's dream and its only June. All of those people who have been complaining about not finding certain figures because of poor distribution, well here you go, you now have a second chance. For everyone else, buy it again if you like or save your $ for something else.

As for this stuff clogging the pegs, I don't see that happening. Ever since the Saga cards changed to the gold striped version Hasbro has been shipping less of each wave and more balanced case assortments to ensure that most stores would be able to stock the new figures when they come out. Sure there are some straglers but overall the pegs usually have enough room for a fresh case. I've seen nothing that leads me to believe this will change with future waves.

As for hasbro not making new figures there are 7 confirmed all new figures in the OTC line so far and 12 in the vintage line. Add to that the amount of new figures already released in the Saga line this year and you have more than we got in the POTJ line in the entire year before EPII.

What some of you are forgetting is that EPIII figures will be out in less than a year from now. These figures are probably a priority at Hasbro as we speak. So instead of giving us nothing or very little in the meantime Hasbro has decided to rerelease some of the classic characters as well as some new additions to keep fans happy. There will be plenty of time in the years that follow for some of the unproduced characters to be made.

Its just a shame that some choose to point out the negative in everything rather than enjoying it for what it is. I say enjoy this while it lasts because in a few years when the prequels have wrapped up and interest fades you'll be longing for this amount of attention Hasbro has devoted to the SW line.

LTBasker
06-02-2004, 06:47 PM
*shrugs* I dunno. Some figures I'm sad to see rehashed, but then I'm glad they're being rehashed because that saves me money. Unless I absolutely need an opener, I'll just buy one of each of the rehashes to keep carded, especially since the OTC will have nice packaging.

So this saves me money because I don't have to buy the second set to open... In turn this allows me to get the vintage figures even easier. Because of them being double the price, I'll only be spending half of what I would on basic figures, and thus I can put that other half to the vintage figures. :)

I wish though some figures they would put more sense into recarding. Such as recarding Holo R2 instead of the POTJ one. If they're worried about collector's damning it's value from that, how much did it drop in value during the TRU sales? Exactly. It's already pretty cheap, just make it easier to get.

Only thing I'm worried about is the new figures getting harder to find due to clogging of rehashed figures because in my area there really aren't that many collectors. So we just take what we generally needed (2 or so of each fig) and that's it. Takes awhile for the others to move.

As I've said before though, this is basically what we've been asking for. First people complain about resculpts, then people complain about rehashings. I mean if you look in threads where resculpted figures were announced you would see a ton of people (including ones currently complaining) whine about them not just rereleasing good figure sculpts. The general consensus would be resculpt bad, rehashed figure good. Now it's the other way around.

I see the point that they're gonna cause a peg-clogging problem, but considering the distribution lately it's been pretty crappy. So there might not that be that big of a deal with clogging, especially if people buy them in spirit of the new DVDs.

dindae
06-02-2004, 08:51 PM
I really don't understand the hostility towards the OTC line and the repacking of figures in general for the roll-out of the OT on DVD. What is the big deal? If you don't like it don't buy it, simple as that. I challenge anyone to point out a better all around non-movie year as far as SW action figures are concerned.

I love the core line. I love the new packaging. I think the new sculpts we are getting are great even the resculpts. And aside from the really bad gimmick figures of E2 I've been happier every year. But I don't see the great sales push for figures because the DVDs are coming out and this is why:

Most people buying the DVDs immediately will already own a VHS copy so I don't see where it will suddenly make it to the sheltered people who don't know about Star Wars

The movies were rereleased on video (THX) in 95, in theaters in 97, video (Special Edition) in 98 and on video again (Special Ed reboxed) in 01. So it hasn't been a long time since these movies have been marketed.

Last but not least the two new movies. If anything is going to push new fans to the old movies it is the new movies. But the hype of Episode II is gone and the new movie has yet to begin we don't even have a title do we?

So all this leads me to believe this is more an excuse to pump out recards. They tested the water in 2003 with the Han, Maul, 3PO and Leia. It seemd to go well so then we got the Hall of Fame wave. Now we have 30+ recarded figures and now these sets. The DVD release was not sprung on Hasbro. Lucas owns a controlling stock in Hasbro. That is why we have the OTC and VOTC lines to go along with the release. They have had the time to do what they wanted for the release. To me I feel abuse as a completist collector. I like being a completist and as long as this is "just for the DVD release" then I will continue to be one. But if it is like hoping the gas prices are going to go down after things calm down in the middle east then I will stop. I hope that clears it up. :D

I could be wrong though anyone who saw the trilogy for the first time when it was released on vhs the last three times and is now collecting let me know.

evenflow
06-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Re-releasing figures just doesn't work. It didn't work with the freeze frames and it won't hurt again. There will be overstock in the stores.,

OCB
06-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Sounds like (http://www.jedidefender.com) these are going to be Wal Mart exclusives...shipped in July...the hits just keep on coming

dindae
06-03-2004, 10:40 AM
Wow from the cantina waves to this. Wal mart knows how to pick em. ;)

evenflow
06-04-2004, 09:40 AM
I dont get that. Why could they just carry the second wave of Cantina figures. Any more info on them?

dindae
06-04-2004, 09:48 AM
I was just talking about the first wave. I think I could still find a set somewhere.

Kidhuman
06-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Accoring to Jedidefender, this will be Wally World Exclusives.

We've learned at JD HQ that the upcoming DVD Commemorative multipacks will be Exclusives to Wal-Mart and will be shipping in July of 2004. Doesn't make much sense to have the same figures hanging on the pegs in two different packages does it???