PDA

View Full Version : I Love The 90s on VH1

scruffziller
06-01-2004, 07:24 AM
It is going to happen, July 12. Michael Ian Black returns.:D

Rocketboy
06-01-2004, 07:27 AM
I saw that. Finally!
I heard about it a while ago and was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to air.

James Boba Fettfield
06-01-2004, 03:00 PM
I saw that last night during the first night of the 100 metal moments program. It seems too soon for it.

I also saw a commercial with a cat singing Run to the Hills. There were some other animals, too. Not sure what that one was advertising.

evenflow
06-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Thats cool. I will check them out, I love the 80's was great.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-03-2004, 04:53 PM
Finally, one with things I can actually remember. :D Some of the later 90's episodes won't have too much to talk about, as culture hasn't changed completely since then like it has since the 70's or 80's.

"Oooh, then the Matrix came out . . . and it's uh, still really cool and uh . . ." :D

JBF, I think that was, for some reason, just a little thing from rathergood.com, the same site that turned out the Spongemonkeys who eventually appeared on the Quiznos commercials.

James Boba Fettfield
06-03-2004, 05:17 PM
JBF, I think that was, for some reason, just a little thing from rathergood.com, the same site that turned out the Spongemonkeys who eventually appeared on the Quiznos commercials.

Not to take away from the main topic of this thread, but I cannot believe I did not notice that connection between those two commercials. It all makes sense now.

El Chuxter
06-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Why, God, why?

Maybe they could add a segment to the Special Editions of these stupid retro shows with "Remember back when VH1 played music? Oh, yeah, that was cool! But the Phil Collins video was stupid. [Insert picture of Phil Collins with stupid sound effect, which cuts immediately into an end segment from GIJoe with Barbecue saying, "And now you know!"]

JediTricks
06-07-2004, 05:34 PM
VH1 has to fill its programming day with SOMETHING. Granted, apparently that's not "Video Hits" anymore (the "VH" in the channel's title) but still, can't just air nothing all day, then it'd lose it's viewer.

scruffziller
06-08-2004, 11:01 AM
I also saw a commercial with a cat singing Run to the Hills. There were some other animals, too. Not sure what that one was advertising.Iron Maiden.......;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-23-2004, 11:12 AM
For years, VH1 would show two music videos from the current rotation, and then a classic video after. This format ended sometime around 2000. Now you'll catch videos in the morning and that is strictly it.

Remember the great VH1 programs like "8 Track Flashback," "Rumor Has It (a gameshow about celebrity dirt) and a show that was hosted by John Fugelsang that took a look of classic music performances from various old talk shows (like I remember a Carole King performance from Dinah Shore? and a Billy Joel performance from the Mike Douglas Show).

But two years ago, VH1 was in dire straits, with failed show after failed show. Now they have rebounded with shows like "Best Week Ever" and the "I Love The 80's." Granted it ain't classic music, but it's a start.

BTW for the best music channel out there, check out VH1 Classic, nothing but classic videos. :)

Arrogant Arse
07-13-2004, 08:18 AM
Did anyone watch '90 & '91 last night? I thought is was okay. There seemed to be a lot of "Vid Picks," and that STUPID FREAKING DANCING BABY bothered me. I liked Dominic Monahan's take on Vanilla Ice. I also thought Hal Sparks was great talking of the Lambada. The thing I thought was funny was Michael Bolton making fun of himself with the "hotties of" list.

Any thoughts

AA

gsr-jedi
07-13-2004, 09:14 AM
1990 wasn't all that great, but 1991 had some pretty funny moments. Although, how could they talk about Hammer, and not talk about "2 Legit 2 Quit"; and the whole hand movement thing that went along with it. I will never get tired of hearing Vanilla Ice explain the difference in his version and the David Bowie version. Hilarious.

mrmiller
07-13-2004, 12:21 PM
I watched it and as a graduate of 91, I realized 90 and 91 pretty much sucked. The show was funny, but my memories are tarnished.

=MATT=

scruffziller
07-15-2004, 08:44 AM
Yea I couldn't believe that one of MC Hammer's songs wasn't on the list with him doing the intro. All the fav hosts that have been on were as funny as ever.
I liked what that one guy said about Whitney Houston's theme from THE BODYGUARD. "It's a song you can't get out of your head even if you have been lobotomized.":D

Boy, Jordan Knight of New Kids On The Block sure got goofy looking.:D

Although, how could they talk about Hammer, and not talk about "2 Legit 2 Quit"; and the whole hand movement thing that went along with it. Hilarious. It will be on I LOVE THE 90s RE-Downloaded.;)

Exhaust Port
07-17-2004, 01:18 AM
I finally got a good dose of I Love the '90's the last 2 days after spending plenty of time in a hotel room (I don't have cable at home). I'm pretty underwhelmed by the show. Sure there are a few funny parts but overall I'm not that interested. Beyond the fact that some of this stuff is still realitively new the show itself doesn't seem to be put together well. Their little snippet segments, like Hammers thing about dance music, aren't nearly entertaining as others they've chosen in previous shows. Liz Phares (sp?) and the "dirty grunge rocker" segment? I feel that they were having trouble coming up with 1990 versions of parts of the previous 1970/80 shows they did.

Even the comments are pretty lame. As soon as I think they are really starting to go somewhere with a topic they end the segment. Color Me Badd was itching to have everyone run all over them but nothing really happened. It also seemed that they had a better mix of guests in the previous shows. Now it seems like Hal and Ian are getting 90% of the air time. Heck Hulk Hogan was on one show for about 2 seconds making no more than grunt or something.

scruffziller
07-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Yea...........................................:(

I have been watching them through and I had developed alot of disappointment in the substance of the show. It seems forced and I think because the events were all not that long ago it seems like it developed into I HATE THE 90s because all that stuff I remember vividly, liked or hated(mostly hated or was indifferent). On the other hand, I love the 80s had a big effect because everything seemed as a suprise to jump out at you as you were reminded of things you forgot. Is it just me or were alot of things misplaced for their years.:confused:

Living through the 90s, I remember that I liked '90-91 and '98-'99, the years in the middle were horrible.

By the way VH1 got their New Kids on The Block break up info wrong. They didn't break up in 1993, they released a new album in early 1994 called FACE THE MUSIC, but under the the revised name of NKOTB. When they broke up after that I don't know.

JediTricks
07-17-2004, 08:20 PM
Yeah, this was a huge disappointment, worse than I Love the '70s. Hell, even the themesong is the worst of the series to date. And it's amazing to see how many items they get the years wrong on, or how boring the "Dirty Alternative Rocker" bit was.

At least I learned that Carlos Alazraqui, who plays Deputy Garcia on "Reno 911", was the voice of the Taco Bell Chihuahua - which in turn led me to discover he's the same guy who voiced Rocko on "Rocko's Modern Life" (that one FLOORED me).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-18-2004, 11:52 AM
I haven't seen all of them, but it's been pretty good. I learned the Michael Ian Black voiced the old sock puppet dog, I wonder why he doesn't now?

scruffziller
07-18-2004, 01:07 PM
With tons of stuff that can be left out in the decades, there should be plenty of stuff left for more I Love(or maybe even HATE :D)the 80s shows.

Exhaust Port
07-18-2004, 09:44 PM
I for one was disappointed that they never once mentioned (I could have missed it I guess) Vanilla Ice's movie, "Cool as Ice." I should have been in the 1991 show but never made it. Come on, I can't think of a better thing to make fun of. I'm lucky enough to own a copy of this masterpiece and can verify that it is ripe for the mocking.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2004, 01:49 PM
I learned the Michael Ian Black voiced the old sock puppet dog, I wonder why he doesn't now?
I, too, learned that (also that he was on NYPB Blue as... a Puerto Rican informer??? [blam, a leeky boom boom down] :confused: and Hal Sparks as a drunk Native American on DQ:MW), but I believe that Petsmart or Petco or Wal*Pet (whatever the company name is/was) simply discontinued the ad campaign. However, the puppet, with a different voice I think is selling cars, or insurance, or something else.

As far as the whole ILT90s has gone, it has had a }%#$&@! more profanity in it. While I'm no prude, I got a bit disappointed that some bits just seemed to say "how much cussing can we insert here?" That's not always funny.

Jon
07-19-2004, 04:16 PM
I was surprised there was no mention of the hype for The Phantom Menace in the 1999 show. Seemed obvious to me but not a word, I love Office Space to but to have a segment on Office Space and not Phantom Menace was pretty silly.

scruffziller
07-19-2004, 04:37 PM
I was surprised there was no mention of the hype for The Phantom Menace in the 1999 show. Seemed obvious to me but not a word, I love Office Space to but to have a segment on Office Space and not Phantom Menace was pretty silly.
It is interesting that you say that because on my RePlayTV guide introduction to the description of the show when you scroll through its guide it said of 1999 as one of the highlights "The Return of Star Wars" WHAT HAPPENED!!!!:confused:

JediTricks
07-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Yeah, same listing was on Yahoo TV, and they get a lot of their data from the main feeds. I almost mentioned it in the news here too, but at the last minute felt it was dicey.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Don't forget that there will be an "I Love The 90's: Part Deux" soon to be airing according to Wendy Kaufman, the Snapple lady. Maybe then we can see all the biting commentary on Episode 1 and other 90's fads and phenomena that we missed.

I think Dave Navarro said it best when he was waxing about Christina Aguliera, saying, "Do you remember when Christina broke out on the scene, like wow, when was that? Four years ago?"

While I've enjoyed the series so far, reminiscing about the past decade now, sorta loses the luster. This is something that could have been saved for a few years down the road. But I understand Vh1's point of view, when you got something hot, why sit on it?

JediTricks
07-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Um, because nostalgia generally doesn't work for a few days ago. ;)

90s part deux, I'll likely pass.

scruffziller
07-20-2004, 05:12 AM
I for one was disappointed that they never once mentioned (I could have missed it I guess) Vanilla Ice's movie, "Cool as Ice." I should have been in the 1991 show but never made it. Come on, I can't think of a better thing to make fun of. I'm lucky enough to own a copy of this masterpiece and can verify that it is ripe for the mocking.
Yes I own it too, it is a classic for some overacting:D . Altough I thought the story of Michael Gross's charachter had some substance

Bel-Cam Jos
07-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Wasn't that the film that gave us the heartwarming Ice song "I Love You"? And these great movie lines:
"The Sugar Shack."
"You don't know me."
Uh...

Things missing from the ILT90s (now it might be that I may have missed seeing some of these, so be kind):
- New state quarters (99)
- TPM (99)
- American Gladiators (or was that from the 80s?)
- Baseball strike (94)
- Rodney King (91)
- Those weird blurry posters where you try to see the images in them (92? 93?)
- The Artist Formerly Known as Prince (95? 96? 97?)
- Goatees (91-99)
- Everyone being diagnosed as ADD (91-99?)

So they better put them in for the next, eagerly-awaited* retrospective.

* this is an anagram of "age dirt lee away" or "ray eagle waited" "a leeway it raged." ;)

Rocketboy
07-20-2004, 10:54 AM
Even though Jay and Silent Bob were in every episode, it would have been nice to see Clerks in '94.
And the Star Wars Special Editions in '97.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-20-2004, 06:55 PM
As far as the whole ILT90s has gone, it has had a }%#$&@! more profanity in it. While I'm no prude, I got a bit disappointed that some bits just seemed to say "how much cussing can we insert here?" That's not always funny.

That and too much Michael Ian Black is the biggest shortcoming of ILT90s. It was funny for a while, now it's just ho hum.

scruffziller
07-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Wasn't that the film that gave us the heartwarming Ice song "I Love You"?
Nope, I LOVE YOU was on the album TO THE EXTREME way before the movie was ever in the works.

Exhaust Port
07-21-2004, 03:00 PM
I don't know if I should be amazed or sickened that you knew that Scruff. :)