PDA

View Full Version : i'm movin'!!!

darthvyn
06-01-2004, 09:53 AM
hey, everyone, wish me luck... i'm moving to raleigh, NC this friday with my girl. it's gonna be cah-razy... we don't have jobs yet!!!! yaaay!!!

Kidhuman
06-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Good Luck sir. We can now be neighbors. I live across the western border in Va.

JON9000
06-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi Darthvyn.

I just moved back to Raleigh from Tallahassee. It's a great town and I'm sure you will love it. Whereabouts are you living? If you are looking for the nightlife, it's really all over the place but these days centers in an area called Glenwood South. That's on Glenwood Avenue between Hillsborough Street and North Street. Just a couple of pointers:

If you want a steak, go to Sullivan's or the Angus Barn (pricey, but awesome)

If you want new Star Wars figures, try the Wal-Mart on Glenwood.

If you want a good beer, head to Greenshields brewery downtown (good burgers too).

If you want a good Pizza- Go to either Lilly's on Glenwood at 5 points or the Magic Mushroom, which is on Peace Street (I think).

Good Sports Bar- Raleigh is full of them, but as you will discover, College Basketball rules the roost around here, and heading to the College Bars is lots of fun. The biggest is Playmaker's on Hillsborough Street across from Meredith College. My favorite is Sammy's on Avent Ferry Road.

Nice Place to take a walk- Lake Johnson

Every other Thursday, Alive after 5 is happening on the Fayetteville Street Mall. Live music is also good at Pour Paul's

Prepare for this question: "So, do you like Carolina or State?" Best to declare neutrality, unless you went to one of them, as I did.

If you have any questions about the area, just PM me. Good Luck!

Deoxyribonucleic
06-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Goodluck Darthvyn! :)

Where are you moving from? Is it going to be culture shock or are you already around the area over there?

El Chuxter
06-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Raleigh is cool. Once I was on vacation there, and I ran into the Pope at the mall. I thought it was pretty cool, especially when I leaned over to him and said, "Your mama."

bobafrett
06-06-2004, 11:50 PM
Congrats Darthvyn! Hope the move runs smooth for you. I just moved a month ago, and I'm still getting settled into my new place. Of course it wasn't a big move, just about a mle down the road, but my son needed to have his own room. I still have all my jobs too! Good luck to you and your girl with your search for employment.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Hey Darth, with my visits to the south i've come up with a great way to get some laughs. Any time somebody insults you or refers to you as a "Yankee" or what you will be called, a "Damn Yankee" just reply with, "hey, still, who kicked whose a-- in the Civil War??? Am, i mean, am i right or am i right?" Believe you me, you're SURE to get a reaction out of them with that li'l response. :D

Seriously, best of luck to ye! :crazed:

Kidhuman
06-07-2004, 01:30 AM
Hey Darth, with my visits to the south i've come up with a great way to get some laughs. Any time somebody insults you or refers to you as a "Yankee" or what you will be called, a "Damn Yankee" just reply with, "hey, still, who kicked whose a-- in the Civil War??? Am, i mean, am i right or am i right?" Believe you me, you're SURE to get a reaction out of them with that li'l response. :D

Seriously, best of luck to ye! :crazed:

You aint kidding it gets a rise outof them. They hate that fact. Especially say it to the ones with a rebel flag on their front door and on their cars.

darthvyn
06-07-2004, 08:10 AM
well, i'm settling in, now... pretty long drive, with me in the 15' budget truck, my girlfriend in her car, and her brother in my car... we're about to drop him off at the airport this morning - it was cheaper to fly him back than it was to rent the car transport, and he was invaluable in heaving stuff up the stairs...

jon9000 - i'm near the the airport, in the brier creek area - just off glenwood after you pass 540 going north/west... nice place. gas is less down here by FAR! (moved from new york, deoxy...) and we got a sleeper bed for our office, and a living room set (couch and big chair) all for about $1500!!! furniture capitol of the world! cable's a little more expensive than up there, but only because we're getting digital with hbo and showtime on-demand... the cable online is pretty fast, too... took them forever to get here to hook it up... we had called two weeks in advance and set up an instal for this past saturday... well, even with up to 8 people in the apartment helping us move in, they managed to come when we "weren't home" (BS!!!) so they finally came back on sunday afternoon... meh...

J9K, got a good comic book store you know about? or am i just going to have to open my own (which i might actually do...)

Kidhuman
06-07-2004, 08:47 AM
Vyn, get satellite, it is way cheaper than cable. I work for Dish NEtwork and it isnt bad. Get your locals with ease. :D

JEDIpartner
06-07-2004, 09:59 AM
(no particular reason)

I'm groovin'!!!

darthvyn
06-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Vyn, get satellite, it is way cheaper than cable. I work for Dish NEtwork and it isnt bad. Get your locals with ease. :D

eh, too late... oh, well. there's also no good way to set up the dish, except on a metal pole in a bucket of cement on my already crowded with patio furniture balcony... some of my new neighbors have that going on, and it looks hideous... bleah!

JON9000
06-07-2004, 01:10 PM
DV, There is actually a comic book store not too far away from the Wal-Mart on Glenwood. You can probably find it in the yellow pages. I think it is called Capital Comics. They also have some nice gouges for star wars toys. Since you live right by the Angus Barn, you have to go!

As for the rest of you, North Carolina has its share of rural areas and country folk, but the Research Triangle is pretty cosmopolitan by most standards, unless you are cool enough to live in Miami or another monster city. Contrary to what you may have seen on the Dukes of Hazzard, nobody really cares about losing the civil war.

But if we must engage in regional stereotypes, I can do that. Go to a bar in Jersey. Go to Clarence Foster's in Raleigh. Count the number of attractive women. Raleigh will always win, hands down. I don't know why, but everyone from the north who visits is just blown away by the difference.

Hellboy
06-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Hope the move went smooth and you're getting settled in Vyn. To bad the BPRD isn't hiring, you'd be a shoe in. ;)

BTW if you do eventually decide to switch to satellite go with DirecTV (sorry KH) if you're a fan of the NFL and think you might be interested in a football package. I highly recommend it. :cool: Either way satellite is the way to go bud. Cable companies are evil!!!!!

Bobby Fett
06-07-2004, 09:20 PM
In my younger days, my dad was stationed at Seymour Johnson AFB - about fifty miles south of Raleigh. We lived in Goldsboro and Kinston. I liked it there.

Be sure to make the trip to see the USS North Carolina. We stopped there on vacation last year.

KH, Dish Network rules! :beard:

James Boba Fettfield
06-07-2004, 10:34 PM
or am i just going to have to open my own (which i might actually do...)

Tell us more, entrepreneur. You'll be able to live life as comic book guy, with your own The Android's Dungeon. You will need a master's degree in folklore mythology, just as comic book guy has. You'll get to chase off nerds who come out of the dark alley when you throw out comics like "She-Hulk vs. Leon Spinks." Think of the fun you will have, vyn.

Good luck with your new Fortress of Solitude.

2-1B
06-08-2004, 03:00 AM
I LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT ! ;)

Man, I hate the South. I've been to NC a few times and I've seen enough belt buckles which read "The South will Rise Again" . . . ummmm, rise and do what exactly ? Fail in rebellion ?

Nah, I'm just kidding, I don't hate the South but I was culturally shocked at how slow people seemed to move. I've only got maybe 60 years (at the most) left to live so I have business to take care of ! :p

I've told LIMP/QLD on more than one occasion that I'd like to come down and enjoy the company of those fine Southern Girls (thanks, Cheap Trick :D ).

Please, if you're from the South don't be insulted by my arrogance because I can seriously go throughout my own midwestern County and pick out PLENTY of stereotypical attributes which bother me and I've lived here my whole life. :D

Good luck to you Vyn, but why would you leave N'Yawk in the first place ? :)

darthvyn
06-08-2004, 09:30 AM
HAHA! nice caesar! i like to move it move it!!!!

well, the impetus behind the move was twofold: cheap and warm.

however, there's more to it than that...

about a year ago, i had engendered the idea of moving to phoenix, on my own. well, i lost my OK paying job, and that plan went away. i then met and fell in love with my girlfriend, and she decided to go back to school for elementary ed, so any ideas of moving went out of my mind.

then her parents tell her they're selling the house, and moving to a new one upstate (NY) - so the quandary was: do we stay in NY, me at my mom's house, her in a new apartment, or do we look elsewhere. i wasn't going to move out of my house to just move to a new location in NY - way too expensive, and it doesn't make sense... i have a perfectly good situation at my house. so we looked elsewhere.

she's got a lot of family down here, and the rent and other things are sooooo much cheaper (read: gas!) so, we found an apartment complex that we really fell in love with, and we moved!

about the comic store, i just think the best way to make sure you have a job is to create one yourself. the area we just moved into is growing by leaps and bounds - there's a just finished half filled shopping center across the street from my apartment complex, and if i could be the first comic store in the area, i would establish myself as THE area's comic book store. looking around at the clientelle in a restaurant the other day, there were a LOT of kids, and that means good business for a comic book/toy store...

most of the people down here are "transplants" as well, at least in the raleigh area... it's about 60% out-of-towners to 40% born-and-raised. it's like new york south down here, only nicer and slower.

furniture is also CRAZY inexpensive!!! we got a huge sofa, a huge chair, and a sleeper couch for the office all for $1500 - including scotchguarding and delivery of the sleeper!!!

JON9000
06-08-2004, 10:05 AM
I don't read comics anymore, and I am not a gamer, but there is one thing I would like to buy if you decide to carry them- star cases for my figures!! :D

Kidhuman
06-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Hope the move went smooth and you're getting settled in Vyn. To bad the BPRD isn't hiring, you'd be a shoe in. ;)

BTW if you do eventually decide to switch to satellite go with DirecTV (sorry KH) if you're a fan of the NFL and think you might be interested in a football package. I highly recommend it. :cool: Either way satellite is the way to go bud. Cable companies are evil!!!!!

I might work for Dish Network, but have DirectTV in my house I do.

Hellboy
06-08-2004, 04:46 PM
I might work for Dish Network, but have DirectTV in my house I do.

Thats great! :classic:

I suppose you would know first hand which is better.

Kidhuman
06-08-2004, 11:59 PM
Yes. BUt when we reach 10 million customers, they will give us free basic service, so I will be switching and using the savings towards HBo and stuff like that.

2-1B
06-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Vyn, that's an awesome story and it's totally cool that you moved somewhere with family already present.

Good luck to you and your Lady. :)