PDA

View Full Version : What do you prefer from Hasbro multi-packs?

JediTricks
06-01-2004, 04:28 PM
With the recent release of the TRU-exclusive Pit of Carkoon 4pack and images of an upcoming Endor multipack, there has been a renewed division among collectors about these multi-packs. What do you want to see from Hasbro when they produce these multi-packs, should they be all-new items, just previously-released items, an even split, or (like most out now) sets where it's one new item and the rest are old?

special thanks to stillakid

sith_killer_99
06-01-2004, 04:49 PM
I prefer that they give us all new stuff (unless they are Imp. Army Builders lol).

But, seeing as how I am insane I will buy it regardless.

My vote still goes with "all new stuff", I said I was insane...not stupid. :crazed:

Deoxyribonucleic
06-01-2004, 05:20 PM
I voted for "prefer all previously released"

I like new figures on cards by themselves and that way I have the decision on what I want to get. Also, I don't have to spend more money if they are previously released. I tend to stay far away from multi-paks except the cinema scenes which were very cool and I do miss those.

mtriv73
06-01-2004, 05:33 PM
I bought the first few of these (Imperial forces (for the droid and AT-ST driver), bounty hunters (for the swoop) and the 2 versions of hoth (mainly for the Taun-Tauns)). I love the droid repaints and would gladly shell out the $19.99 just for one of those. I haven't even considered picking up the last 2 because they haven't offered anything really different (I couldn't care less about the plastic force field for Obi-wan or a bad kit bash Han solo.) From the looks of upcoming sets, I'll be skipping on most of those too. If they would put in hard to find figures rather than Jabbas skiff guards which even warmed the pegs around here when marked down to $3, then I might actually buy some of these again.

stillakid
06-01-2004, 05:58 PM
I usually buy everything no matter what because I'm a Hasbro-sheep, but if I had the choice, I'd prefer to never be "forced" into re-purchasing figures unless they are army builders. All "sets" should have nothing but new items in them.

dr_evazan22
06-01-2004, 08:29 PM
SK brought up a good point about army builders, like stormies, which I hadn't considered when making my choice. I chose 'all new'. Who the heck wants to pay again for fig's that they already purchased (I'm assuming that if you liked it the first time you bought it, if you didn't like it before, you won't buy itr this time either).

I miss the CS too, overall I like them more then I do the screen scenes we have now.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-01-2004, 09:54 PM
I'd much rather have all new figures. These multi-packs are a great way to give us characters that don't necessarily merit being carded alone, but in a group are well worth the purchase. The Geonosian War Room sets are a perfect example. I imagine most of us would have passed on the Nute Gunray or Lott Dodd (Whichever one it was) that came with the set if it had been carded, but I like him more since he came with the set. The same applies to San Hill and some of the others. Ditto, Wol Cabass****e. At $5.00 alone on a card, that's not much of a buy, but as part of a group, great!

Like others who bought the TRU 4-packs, I bought them for the new figures, and swoop bike. I've skipped the recent Jedi set, haven't seen carkoon, and will skip it anyway, and having seen pictures of Endor, am not planning on buying that one either. They aren't much better than all those early Saga figures carded together at KB Toys.

If Hasbro needs to include older figures to keep the price down on these sets, then they should by all means include a couple, but make them something useful, such as troop builders as someone suggested and droid repaints. Do we really need Han or Darth Vader included in a four pack, when they are widely available on individual cards. A four pack with two imperial officers with the different head sculpts, a stormtooper, and a droid, would be much better.

I've also noticed that the accesories in these sets have diminished to practically nothing since that loaded Imperial set. These four packs would also be a great way to include all those Ep. 1 accesory set pieces that most of us never saw, such as the hyperdrive repair kit, or the pit droids that were available in the 2-packs outside the U.S..

Twenty-bucks is what we're paying for 4 individually carded figures anyway, so there's no reason for Hasbro not to give us four (or at least three) new figures in these sets. Imagine if Rieeken and his screen had not been offered as they were, but had been part of a Hoth set, which also included Torryn Far, Bren Derlin and Hobbie Klivan (w/leather inner helmet) and a new droid. We'd have been given four wanted characters, a droid and accesories, all in one set. Face it, the three that haven't been made are long shots for individually carded figures.

Hellboy
06-01-2004, 11:26 PM
I like the idea behind the Multi-Packs but I don't buy all of them. I wish they would either go with all new items or no new items. One or the other.

I don't like having to spend $20 for 1 piece like I did with Aurra Sing's Swoop in the Bounty Hunters pack or the black R4 unit in the Imperial set. If they want to pack the sets full of older figures giving collectors who missed them another chance at obtaining them I'm all for that. Just keep the new and the old seperated and I'd be happy.

I also like the idea of using these as Army Builder sets. I think the upcoming Naboo set and the previously released Imperial set are the closest we'll see along those lines though.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-02-2004, 12:55 AM
If they want to pack the sets full of older figures giving collectors who missed them another chance at obtaining them I'm all for that. Just keep the new and the old seperated and I'd be happy.

Well put!

It's the mixing of the two that really makes me stear clear of these multi-paks. If they were all new, I'd most likely get them, army builders, yup and all old...pass! But others would have a chance that missed 'em or are just starting up their collections.

dindae
06-02-2004, 08:32 AM
kind of a silly poll. can't think of anyone that doesn't want all new figures. I'm a completist so I will buy anything, but I would like new stuff and repacks seperate since I also have a loose collection and I don't need to open if it is all repacks.

Kidhuman
06-02-2004, 08:59 AM
As someone who has never bought a 4-pack TRU exclusive so far,I voted for all new stuff in the box. Now, mind you, I would of bought the Hoth if I found it for the Taun Taun. The Endor one coming up is one that I wuill buy if I see it, only for the speeder agnd the scout(I love speeders and scouts.) But they keep throwing reissued trash into most of the sets, so it doesnt pay to buy them. I guess an even split would do,but I would perfer all new stuff.

jeffonthego
06-02-2004, 09:01 AM
I'd also have to say it's a no-brainer - all new stuff of course!

The only scenario I can think of where I would actually want old stuff would be for troop builders - and then only if I'm getting a good discount versus buying the figures individually.

jedi master sal
06-02-2004, 11:25 AM
There-in lies the problem.

Most of the figs like the Jedi, Carkoon, Endor etc have figurs that we can get at KB's for $2.99 each still. Add that up and it's only $11.96. So when Hasbro offers the same old stuff and throughs in one menial pack-in, they think it justifies the $20 pricetag.

I don't. I begrudgingly bought the Bounty hunters set even though I really only wanted Aurra Sing's swoop bike. For the Jedi, I really only wanted the repaint Nikto and since it was thrown in the forcefield. I just bought the Carkoon set and when I got home, I looked at it and thought, why? It's total repacks and an undersized cobbled together Han. I think I'm taking that one back. Endor, I know I'll pass on. Now had they included the Ewok w/glider in this, it would have been a no brainer, IMO.

As far as troop sets go, yes I'm an army builder but I'm not going to pay the equivalent of $5 per figure. I open the army building figures and can readily get them complete at any number of conventions for $1 or $2 each. So, I'd have to be highly convinced to pay more. For me if hasbro came out with a stormtrooper 4 pack for instance, I don't want the buff one from 1995, but the Commtech one. bearing that in mind I'm not paying $20 for them but might consider $15. Which keeps it to a respectable $3.75 each.

I bought those stormtrooper army building sets when the fanclub had them. They were in no-nonsense packaging and if you bought 4 sets you got a fifth one "free". So I got 20 Stormtroopers for $75 which when divided equates to yep you got it $3.75.

Hasbro could make a "killing" with army building sets. They don't need to make new molds in most cases for army building types. So for the additional cost of packaging (which BTW, isn't all that expensive and neither is it expensive to develope-and don't let them fool you into thinking so, I'm a graphic designer and have been doing this sort of thing for almost 10 years now) and a meager pack-in, they could bump up the price from the $15 I suggested to $17 or 18. Or just not offer a pack-in (not including the guns-or other character specific accessories, those must be included with the figures) and go with a smaller box. That would greatly help in reducing the cost and making it affordabel for the average consumer. Shoot even parents might buy these for they're kids because they are comparable to other action figures.

I just can't see how it appeals to kids when if they ask they're parents for either 1 SW fig for $5 or a 4 pack for $20, when they're parent looks across the aisle and sees G.I. Joe figs at $7-8 for two etc.

BTW, I voted for all new figs, but in the case of army builder, they could go with repacks, but lower the price.

Like mentioned in a previous post, the four packs would be a good way to get out lesser characters that we might not pay for single carded. besides with the small amount that TRU gets them in it's not liek they pegwarm all that long.

What I wouldn't give for a Bespin set of Ice cream man, more Ugnauts, black Bespin guard and white Bespin guard. Shoot they could even repack the ugnauts just do a head swap to make them look different and could also reuse the same body for the Bespin guards and just give us a new head sculpt. The Ice cream man fig would just be the kicker. For the pack-in hmm how about a 1/4 section of the carbon chamber floor. This way some might be inspired to buy more than one set to have a complete floor. That pack-in would be very cheap to produce sine it would basically be flat and could be vaccum formed if need be instead of injection molded.

Here's a link to see what I mean-though you probably already do:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/carbonfreezingchamber/?id=eu

Okay, I'm done.
-Sal

kool-aid killer
06-02-2004, 12:39 PM
I voted all new figures. I wouldnt mind paying more money as long as the multipack had all new figures, or at least three newbies and one generic army builder. The only multipacks i bought were the Hoth (for the TaunTaun and droid) and the Empire (for the Stormtrooper, droid, and AT-ST driver) other than those the others havent, and wont, catch my interest. If the upcoming Endor set had repainted the Ewoks i would get it, but i have no need for another Logray and Wicket.

Jaff
06-02-2004, 01:13 PM
The multi packs are tools to ensure that secondary characters can be made. They are made in less quantities, and it is only logical to group themed figures together by bar, hutt denzies, etc..

decadentdave
06-02-2004, 02:16 PM
I definitely think the multi-packs should be used primarily for Troop Builder packs similar to the G.I. Joe Valor Versus Venom Cobra Troops set. These would sell off the shelves and there are so many Army Builder sets they could do: Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers, Hoth Stormtroopers, Clonetroopers, Rebel Fleet Troopers, Hoth Rebel Troopers, Endor Rebel Troopers, Imperial Officers, X-Wing Pilots (i.e. Red Squadron Multi-Pack), Tusken Raiders, Jawas and Droids, Bespin Guards, Jabba's Palace Guards... ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching. If Hasbro wants to see dollar signs, they need look no further.

Quite-Gone Jim
06-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Like pretty much everyone else, I said I wanted all new figures. However, I don't mind previouly released stuff if it's an army builder/generic character (Stormtroopers, clone troopers, etc). I really hate getting one new figure and 3/4 repacks. I feel like I waste my money.

stillakid
06-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Like pretty much everyone else, I said I wanted all new figures. However, I don't mind previouly released stuff if it's an army builder/generic character (Stormtroopers, clone troopers, etc). I really hate getting one new figure and 3/4 repacks. I feel like I waste my money.

That's pretty much the way I feel. Some time ago I played with the idea of getting the Batman Animated figures. I gave up after the first round of multi-packs when they would repackage three of the same (Batman, Robin, and a villian) and then just offer one brand new character each time a new box came out (like Alfred or the Commissioner). It wasn't fair to the consumer and made no sense financially for the consumer to put it mildly. It isn't a stretch to say we feel ripped off when something like that happens.

mericen
06-02-2004, 07:31 PM
I voted for an even split of new and old figures because of what Hasbro would probably charge for all new figures. While I would like to see all new figures Hasbro would probably want to charge $40.00 for the box set. At least at half new figures they can keep the price at $20.00.

JediTricks
06-02-2004, 09:18 PM
kind of a silly poll. can't think of anyone that doesn't want all new figures. I'm a completist so I will buy anything, but I would like new stuff and repacks seperate since I also have a loose collection and I don't need to open if it is all repacks.
I had a similar thought when I posted it, but there are some collectors who don't see it that way. I also imagine the "I'm a completist" vote would have gotten a lot more responses if I had used the foresight to make it the first instead of last option (same thing with the "Ignore it" option). Ultimately, it was an interesting idea and presented in a way that made it easy for me to turn into a real poll.

As for my vote, I have been not buying these pretty successfully so far, and will continue to do so until Hasbro at least bumps the quality and accessory counts up, as well as choosing better packs. If Hasbro had put half new items in with these instead of just 1, I probably would have bought 'em all.

Bacta Beast
06-03-2004, 06:07 PM
I voted few a mix, because I would be willing to accept that to convince Hasborke to keep making them! I would rather have some than none. And sometimes it's nice to get the extras for customizing. I think the new "Carkoon" set doesn't seem to have as many redeco'ed peices as the previous offerings. The only thing I see in it that I want is Han. The one set had more changes to the figures.

Bacta Beast
06-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Cripes, I only have 59 post!!! I'll never get a custom avatar at this rate!!

pbarnard
06-03-2004, 11:07 PM
I voted for a mix. I would like the chance to pick up something old if I missed it or get a second (or more). I also would like something interesting or new. Droids are good. An accessory that is actually useful. I liked the Imperial, Bounty Hunter and Hoth 4-packs. I don't have any interest in the Jedi, Carkoon, or Endor because the accessories aren't that interesting (don't want/need any more speeder bikes) not to mention have figures from the POTF2 line more than from the Saga or PotJ lines.

IMO, what made the Imperial pack great? THE DROIDS!!!!!! The Bounty Hunters? The Swoop (and makes good custom fodder). The Hoth? Another droid (a 2nd R3 unit) and a Taun Taun with guts that spill out.

Does Endor need to put out another Wicket when he's going to be on an OTC? Carkoon just sort of "dirtied" up the figs. The Jedi, ick.

stillakid
06-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Cripes, I only have 59 post!!! I'll never get a custom avatar at this rate!!

Ya gotta get into an argument with somebody like JarJarBinks. :D Where is that guy anyway? Couldn't take the heat anymore I suppose. :(

DarthBrandon
06-04-2004, 03:11 AM
Ya gotta get into an argument with somebody like JarJarBinks. :D Where is that guy anyway? Couldn't take the heat anymore I suppose. :(

JarJarBinks met his demise when Tarkin blew up Alderan in ANH (you will see this on the DVD in September). :eek: :)

Seriously though, he's probably on vacation or something like that. So you'll have to wait until he returns to battle it out stillakid. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
06-04-2004, 08:32 PM
I voted for a mix, though it needn't be evenly split. All new would be great too, but I think the TRU packs are a good way to get army builders. Also, most of my opened figures are duplicates, and thus most of my opened figures are army builders. I don't mind opening these TRU sets though, so even though the latest sets have not much new to offer, it's a good way to get some loose figures that I have only had on cards or cinema scenes.

The Hoth and Imperial sets were great. A good mix of old and new figures. The Bounty Hunter set were all old figs, but it had the bike and now I can open it up and display the bounty hunters if I want without opening my carded versions. I wasn't as impressed with the Jedi set, but I got it anyway. The Carkoon set wasn't much better, but I'd rather open this set than my cinema scene box. Also, the skiff guards are fairly generic looking so even though they are pretty much the same as the cinema scene, you could always use more to add to a sail barge-skiff display.

I hope they keep making more of these TRU sets, but only if they make them more like the Hoth and Imperial sets.

Turbowars
06-05-2004, 12:22 AM
I prefer that they give us all new stuff (unless they are Imp. Army Builders lol).

But, seeing as how I am insane I will buy it regardless.

My vote still goes with "all new stuff", I said I was insane...not stupid. :crazed:I'll just echo what Killer said, you ask why, well I'm insane also. I did pass on the last TRU 4 pack.:speech:

Kidhuman
06-05-2004, 01:08 AM

Either that or tell you the Prequels are far more superior in every way and Midichlorians rule the universe. :beard: :beard: :beard: :beard: :p :beard:

Turbowars
06-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Who knows. I sent a PM to see what was up, it was ignored, so I can give a crap.

bigbarada
06-07-2004, 12:16 AM
I usually just ignore the multipacks since the quality of those figures is usually much lower than the regular carded figures.

Usually if an unknown figure has to sell by itself on a card, then Hasbro will put much more effort into making it a cool toy. Do you think the Bespin Security Guard, Lobot, Cloud Car Pilot and FX-7 would all be as awesome as they are if they were just cobbled together from spare figure parts and stuck in a 4-pack? Compare the quality of the Jedi Council or Geonosian War Room figures to the likes of Ephant Mon, R1-G4 and Dutch Vander.

Turbowars
06-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Yeah, it seem as if another company made them, not Hasbro.