PDA

View Full Version : Should we start bracing ourselves now for the next crappy gimmick?

bigbarada
06-02-2004, 12:51 PM
The original POTF2 line tried to add excitement to the figures with beefed-up physiques. Ep1 "blessed" us all with the Commtech chips (which would have been fine as figure stands if they hadn't jacked up the price of the figure by $2). Ep2 gave us the extreme action poses, action features and "blast effects."

Fortunately, those are all things of the past, but what insidious little gimmick is Hasbro planning for the Ep3 toys?

Another question is, what could they possibly do next to screw up the line?

Kidhuman
06-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Great question BigB. I dont know how or what will be the next gimmick. Maybe they should try nuetral poses and no gimmicks for a change. That would be the best of them all.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Well, I don't care if they add a new pack-in, though they probably won't. I wonder if they'll try action features again. They know collectors hate them with a passion, but they seem to have the delusion that kids really like them. If the success and positive feedback about the figures that have recently come out are any indication, Hasbro would do what's right and leave the figures be.

Darth Alex
06-02-2004, 06:40 PM
The original POTF2 line tried to add excitement to the figures with beefed-up physiques. Ep1 "blessed" us all with the Commtech chips (which would have been fine as figure stands if they hadn't jacked up the price of the figure by $2). Ep2 gave us the extreme action poses, action features and "blast effects."

Fortunately, those are all things of the past, but what insidious little gimmick is Hasbro planning for the Ep3 toys?

Another question is, what could they possibly do next to screw up the line?
First off, this is a super topic and one fans will want an answer to.
The only thing left to screw up the line is to continue to reissue figures and kitbash Ep3 toys. I'm afraid that with the OTC reissue repackage campaign Hasbro will reuse existing figures and repaint them, maybe do a little different face scuplt (Obi-Wan). With all the production tweaks to the film, I wonder what characters will have to have a running color variant, ala the Battle droid.
My guess is we'll get endless Vader and Grevious variants with lousy action-tacular Deluxe surfing feud Obi and AniVader figures.
If we get a birthing PORTman, I'm quitting collecting for good:stupid: .
I hope we get a growth development Boba.
If we're lucky, all humor aside, we'll get a cross between the late-model Saga figures, the new OTC figures, and the VOTC line: appropriately articulated, well-detailed figures.

Vortex
06-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Hmmm...hard call...with the current run getting all this super articulation...vader, han, etc. I can only hope they keep this up, but we'll see, odds favor them doing something "new" to figures I just don't want to guess at what stupid thing they could do in the off chance some marketing goof is reading this and goes "Hey that's a great idea!"

Hellboy
06-02-2004, 07:41 PM
I would like to think Hasbro has heard our cries. The neutral posed figure with an emphasis on articulation seems to be the standard of late. I'm optomistic and think they'll continue down this path for EPIII. If a gimmick or action feature does appear I'd venture to say it will remain in the deluxe line, assuming they continue with the deluxes. Overall I think we're in for a quality batch of toys come 2005. Unlike others I'll reserve my judgement until I see the finished product though.

Jay86
06-02-2004, 08:29 PM
I dont care about the "beefed up" POTF2 figures because most of them were remade and resculpted into better figures anyway. The Episode 1 figures werent that expensive, besides, if thats the case then wait for the sales. I didnt mind the action poses or the blast effects, the blast effects were removeable after all. It was more so the lack of a plain old neutral Episode 2 Obi-Wan and Anakin figure(s) that I'm still waiting for, not to mention a good Episode 2 C-3PO without the panels and all that overly-done paint on his arms and leg and whatnot. And I dont mind the OTC because if it'll get kids into the hobby or whatever then great, thats a good thing. Plus we're getting a fair share of new(er) figures as well. And if you add the OTC with Episode 3 being released next year, it would seem foolish of Hasbro to quit releasing figures in two or three more years....I dont care if they do that, just release the good majority of background characters and main figures that still have to be made and complete the list and then end the line, no sense in Hasbro giving up so much money that could potentially be made.

Reefer Shark
06-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Actually, the EpI figures were pretty expensive IIRC. I think they were like $7.99 at Midnight Madness, weren't they?

And the blast effects were ok on EpII figures, except for the lightsaber deflection ones that stain the lightsabers :rolleyes:. I've bought a few KB specials just to get some extra guns and 'sabers. Lately, every blast-effected saber I've opened has been stained where the blast effect was.

I agree with you on the OTC thing though. Seems like a win-win situation for Hasbro = get new kids into it, and entice old fans with the sweet packaging. I think if Hasbro keeps on the path they're on now, things should be OK for the EpIII line (I hope anyways!).

Jay86
06-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Actually, the EpI figures were pretty expensive IIRC. I think they were like $7.99 at Midnight Madness, weren't they?

And the blast effects were ok on EpII figures, except for the lightsaber deflection ones that stain the lightsabers :rolleyes:. I've bought a few KB specials just to get some extra guns and 'sabers. Lately, every blast-effected saber I've opened has been stained where the blast effect was.

I agree with you on the OTC thing though. Seems like a win-win situation for Hasbro = get new kids into it, and entice old fans with the sweet packaging. I think if Hasbro keeps on the path they're on now, things should be OK for the EpIII line (I hope anyways!).I dont remember what the Episode 1 figures were then, I bought most of mine when they went on sale at TRU, got about 70% of em that way too. As for the blast effect things, if you say so cheif. I've never examined the saber that closely, so I dont really have a problem with 'em. Oh yeah, the OTC Vintage figures are gonna be $9.99, so $7.99 for Episode 1 figures wasnt so bad I guess.....even though I got em for $1.99

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=23983

Reefer Shark
06-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Yeah.. .they went down in price after most of us suckers had already bought 'em.

It's all good though, now that I think about it, I remember going back to TRU with my receipt for a refund of the difference. I walked away with something around $40 that day. Then a few years later they were clearanced out at $1.99 a pop.

VOTC is gonna be $9.99, regular OTC is gonna be $4.99. You're paying more for the extra packaging and crap on the VOTC, and that sucks IMO. Just like paying extra for the comm-tech sucked for the EpI figures. But oh well, I know I'll still be buying 'em. :smoker:

mrpauldeeds
06-02-2004, 11:06 PM
They can keep the action poses and blaser effects....i just hope the new gimmik is not a collectable card in the back. Like trading cards taped inside the bubble, that would just be irritating.

hango fett
06-03-2004, 09:50 AM
i can only imagine what lame gimmick they will have next...."Anikan Skywalker with burned flesh!"
"Padme' Skywalker with the Twins!"
:rolleyes:
what next...
HF

evenflow
06-03-2004, 10:41 AM
How about neutral poses for a gimmick.

Lazer Brain
06-03-2004, 03:56 PM
I thought the comm chips were great, I wish they would have just inplanted the chip right into the figure so there is no need for that stand to stay with the figure. the other gimmick that is cool is the 'force' effect magnet , maybe a smaller magnet or , gasp, a magnet that was shaped so you do not get the disfigured hand. you could have also placed a magnet on the belt for a 'holster' effect. all in all I hope to see more Super acticulated figures , the SA clones Rock.

later

jedi master sal
06-03-2004, 04:09 PM
I'll take a crack at the "new gimmick".

How about detachable limbs for every figure. You can mix and match to create your own figs....NO how about---

Two face figures. You turn the head around to show a different emotion on the face...ha ha! Not this either, then how about---

Change the size so they don't coincide with the exhisting lines...You know they've thought of it...still NO, sheesh what a tough crowd, okay how about---

No accessories. Then you have to buy accessory packs seperate and figure out what belongs to which figure. Aw, you mean this didn't impress you, okay then this---

No pegs holes in feet...If you haven't caught on that this was a joke, then your taking this too seriously.

The only one remotely cool to me would be the interchangeable limbs. (They are making one for Luke Dagobah in the OTC line after all) Well at least the arms anyway.

-Sal

Val Da Car
06-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Don't forget swappable arms Dodonna & Antilles...and change coats too...

JEDIpartner
06-04-2004, 09:27 AM
I hope the gimmick is... little pieces of the set for stands. Basically what they are doing now with the Dagobah wave, except a little larger.

evenflow
06-04-2004, 10:38 AM
I hope the gimmick is... little pieces of the set for stands. Basically what they are doing now with the Dagobah wave, except a little larger.

Yeah that with nuetral poses.

JEDIpartner
06-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Precisely. I hate all of the super-posed scene specific wonders that we got with the AOTC waves. I'd prefer some good SA type figures that are good for MOST action/play and then another in other costumes.

Tycho
06-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Do you guys remember the Jabba Glob figure?

Well "MORNING SICKNESS PADME" will come with refillable gunk to simulate her throwing up by squeezing her softplastic belly!

With this new exciting figure, Hasbro ups the anty by what they mean by "action feature!"

bigbarada
06-07-2004, 12:03 AM
so $7.99 for Episode 1 figures wasnt so bad I guess.....even though I got em for $1.99

Well that's just wonderful, you want a cookie?

Most of us were able to clean up on Ep1 figures at the clearance prices;but for those people who didn't want to wait until January 2001 to buy their figures, they were forced to pay an inflated price for an overhyped gimmick.

Anyways, when all is said and done, the Commtechs were the least objectionable of all the gimmicks, since they had a secondary purpose (action figure stands).

Fortunately, super-articulation seems the be the biggest trend in action figures at this point (hence the 67-points of articulation Spider-Man that's in stores right now). So hopefully, that will be the only "gimmick" that we get with our Ep3 figures.

Well, that and releasing five different General Grievous figures at Midnight Madness next year, since they know we're all stupid enough to buy all five.

Kidhuman
06-07-2004, 02:52 AM
I wouldnt buy all five, just four of em.

Actually I dont think SA would be a gimmick, more of an enhancement. I know I wouldntmind paying more for a figure if it had "67" POA. Hell I'd settle for 12 POA.

evenflow
06-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Do you guys remember the Jabba Glob figure?

Well "MORNING SICKNESS PADME" will come with refillable gunk to simulate her throwing up by squeezing her softplastic belly!

With this new exciting figure, Hasbro ups the anty by what they mean by "action feature!"

Hell, I'd buy one. :crazed:

JEDIpartner
06-07-2004, 10:42 AM
One of the things we didn't have at the time of the AOTC releases was the UNLEASED line. Perhaps Hasblah will look at that as a way to market us statues of figures and leave the action figures with actual poseability.

Jay86
06-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Well that's just wonderful, you want a cookie? Yeah, sure, and make it oatmeal......though you should keep your cookie for your great use of old and repeatedly used "witty sayings", "props" for not coming up with anything new ;)

Though while I'm at it I might as well explain what I said in better detail, seeing as how some...ahem.....seem to have taken it the wrong way......

I said what I said from the point of view that though I paid $1.99 per figure the price of $7.99 once seemed rather high....yet with the introduction of the Vintage OTC figures and their prices being at $9.99 a piece the price of $7.99 doesnt seem so high, and looking back on it if I had known of the Vintage OTC line back then I probably wouldnt have minded paying $7.99 per figure.......to boast about paying such prices for figures would be immature, and though I wouldnt exactly pride myself on being the most mature person there is I'll admit I'm not immature enough to go and put out such a comment in order to "brag" about, of all things, prices I've paid for toys.......which leaves me to wonder what is more immature: bragging, or letting someone elses "bragging" (though in this case I've explained it wasnt that at all) bother me and needing to comment on it, when it seems the more mature option would be to brush it off and not pay it any mind......normally I wouldnt even give such a reply as the one I have, but since I'm not here to brag about anything and I dont wish to make enemies, on of all things, a message board, especially one in which I'm here to talk to other people about something I love to do and in return is something they love as well, I figured I'd write this to explain and whatnot before someone decides to "dislike" me or think of me in a negative manner, when in reality this is a message board, not a place to make enemies, at least not in my opinion anyway :)

bigbarada
06-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Yeah, sure, and make it oatmeal......though you should keep your cookie for your great use of old and repeatedly used "witty sayings", "props" for not coming up with anything new ;)

Though while I'm at it I might as well explain what I said in better detail, seeing as how some...ahem.....seem to have taken it the wrong way......

I said what I said from the point of view that though I paid $1.99 per figure the price of $7.99 once seemed rather high....yet with the introduction of the Vintage OTC figures and their prices being at $9.99 a piece the price of $7.99 doesnt seem so high, and looking back on it if I had known of the Vintage OTC line back then I probably wouldnt have minded paying $7.99 per figure.......to boast about paying such prices for figures would be immature, and though I wouldnt exactly pride myself on being the most mature person there is I'll admit I'm not immature enough to go and put out such a comment in order to "brag" about, of all things, prices I've paid for toys.......which leaves me to wonder what is more immature: bragging, or letting someone elses "bragging" (though in this case I've explained it wasnt that at all) bother me and needing to comment on it, when it seems the more mature option would be to brush it off and not pay it any mind......normally I wouldnt even give such a reply as the one I have, but since I'm not here to brag about anything and I dont wish to make enemies, on of all things, a message board, especially one in which I'm here to talk to other people about something I love to do and in return is something they love as well, I figured I'd write this to explain and whatnot before someone decides to "dislike" me or think of me in a negative manner, when in reality this is a message board, not a place to make enemies, at least not in my opinion anyway :)

Understood, although I wonder what your unedited post said. :p

I just get tired of people on these boards who brag about getting all these toys at clearance prices and consider everyone who paid the actual retail price to be "suckers." Realistically, the ones who pay the higher retail prices are the ones who have kept the Star Wars line going continuously since 1995. If everyone waited for the figures to hit clearance, then Hasbro would have considered the line a failure and cancelled it before Wave 2 of the POTF2 line could have even been released.

Sorry to have lumped you in with those bargain-bin losers, Jay86. :cool:

mericen
06-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Thing of it is around where I live they never lasted long enough to be reduced. Other than the odd Jar Jar, Anakin and Obi-Wan most everything sold out at the $7.99 price. At the time I worked at a Meijer store and if memory serves me correctly we were selling them for $6.99 not $7.99 but we only ever got a few boxes of any wave anyway. I think of the initial Episode 1 boxes we only ever got 3-4 boxes total. So I guess it just matters where you live as to what they do.

Jay86
06-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Understood, although I wonder what your unedited post said. :p
My 'unedited" post was nothing more than the post that I posted, I simply went back and added some things to what I originally wrote, thus making it longer.

Sorry to have lumped you in with those bargain-bin losers, Jay86. :cool:
I understand what you mean by saying the people who pay higher prices at retail are the ones who keep the stuff going. Cant say I've bought much at retail though, simply for the fact that for the past few years certain figures and stuff have been harder to find at retail, but thats a different story.

bigbarada
06-08-2004, 05:19 PM
I would love to get the chance to pay retail for the figures I want. As it stands right now, if I want a new figure anywhere within a year of its release date, then I need to look for it online. Which means I usually pay $2-3 more per figure, before shipping.

The Wal-Mart in my area couldn't be slower when it comes to ordering new stuff. And our K-Mart just got cases and cases of the "latest releases" (according to the Toy Dept. manager), so the shelves are now clogged to bursting with Aayla Secura, Barris Offee and the Jedi Younglings sets. :frus:

Tycho
06-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Here's the deal:

I pay whatever the going retail price is, and maybe moreso, depending upon the circumstances.

Naboo Royal Guard comes to mind.

And I don't want to seem like I'm bragging either.

I build dioramas and wanted 35 of these guys (using maybe 2-4or5 of them in any given scene, protecting one version of the Queen or another).

The NRG's disappeared off racks before I ever got more than 14 of them!

I paid full price for those 14, and maybe I even paid $8.99 or whatever KB Toys would occasionally raise their price to, or Suncoast Video, GameStop, wherever I had to find those NRGs. The majority I did get at Toys R Us by waiting outside the store from 9 o'clock on until they opened the doors, and making sure I was the first one to the SW. (The others there went to HotWheels and would then go to SW to wipe out anything they could scalp or trade for their stupid little cars).

So, I knew I needed 35 NRGs, and did everything I could to get that quantity.

Possibly they could have been back-stocked behind cases of Watto figures that were clogging shelves or something, gathering dust in the backrooms of some TRU (really didn't see that wave hit Wal-Mart or Target).

Well, if things went the way they did with a lot of the later TPM figures, the NRGs would have come out for $2.99 or 1.99 etc. and I could have saved a lot of $$$.

14 NRG's full price would have been $83.86 plus tax. At $1.99, - $27 bucks (before tax). A savings of over $50 most likely.

BUT - no cases of NRGs were in the back-stock, and I got 14 at about $5.99 and I paid $8 a figure plus shipping for $168 for the remaining 21 I eventually did get. - And in an attempt to play it smart, I waited until only the other year, 2002 I think, to see if the NRGs would't turn up at Factory2You or some other discount outlet store.

So, currently, I want 9 Eloms and 10 Whipids (have 2 and 4 respectively) and if I wasn't sort of lazy, I'd be outside of Target every morning by 7:45am until I had all of them. But by looking at the JustFound forums, there isn't an abundance of those figures shipping. Hasbro short-changed us a little on the Jabba-critters. My friends have 2 Eloms for me though. Still...I need to get out there or I'll miss it if the stores decide to liquidate their Saga when it's time to put the OTC out.

But the NRG story illustrates why it is imperative to shop hard, buy out all you need, and not kick back and wait for bargains when it comes to SW collecting (on basic figures anyway). The figure was an army builder - just like BattleDroids which I ordered like 50 from Amazon for 2 bucks each I think.

I was lucky I got the bargain dealer's price on my NRGs but I had to negotiate it or I'd have paid $12 a pop on those if I recall.

When it came to the droids, I already had a lot of what I needed for Episode One scenes. I took the bargain because I planned ahead for Episode 2. Consequently, I had a ton of droids to use for my Geonosis and Arena scenes. I know they are white instead of red like they're supposed to be, but I like the way the white contrasts with the red of my diorama landscape anyway.

In any event, I've still not used all the Battle Droids I'd accumulated.

But you can't do that with every figure.

I bought maybe 1-2 extra Orm Free Taas for any scenes he might have in Episode 3. I'll either sell them off at a loss (probably give them to a kid) or use them in Expanded Universe scenes if the unlikely outcome is that for some reason Orm Free Taa is not in Episode 3. But in any case, I won't need to buy a full-price recard or resculpt of him.

Did the same with Royal Guards, random aliens, etc. etc. 1 each of the Whipids and Eloms I want are just for my extra stock.

But where I'm eccentric one way, I can name probably 20 figures I never bought because I never needed them (like Blastshield Luke, Han Endor Bunker, etc. Don't plan on getting the new Lobot or Leia Bespin).

I'm all about having stuff to one day create the most awesome dioramas!

plasticfetish
06-20-2004, 08:35 PM
The next gimmick... is that each Episode 3 figure will contain a 3-D photo of Tycho's collection. It may have to be a fold out photo.

Tycho
06-20-2004, 11:33 PM
Very funny. But due to the size, it'd have to be packaged only with the vehicles. ;)

Was cleaning today btw, and while I don't know what this has to do with anything, I took some inventory of my figures in my "white room"

(Hoth, Tantive IV scenes).

Tantive IV Invasion (on board my custom Blockade Runner):

Captain Antilles
7 Rebel Fleet Troopers
Princess Leia
C-3PO
R2D2
TC-14
R4-M9
11 Stormtroopers
Darth Vader

------------------------------------

Echo Base TaunTaun Patrol:

Han Solo on TaunTaun
Luke Skywalker on TaunTaun

-------------------------------------

Wampa's Prisoner

'04 Luke Hoth figure (hanging upside down)
'04 Wampa Ice Monster

Battle in the Wampa's Lair

Luke vs. Wampa Beast Pack 1997

Rescue in the Snow

TaunTaun w. Belly Slit
Luke Hoth from 5-pack
Han Solo Hoth ('03 Saga)
Ghost of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Lay's chips mailaway)

Rebel Medical

Bacta Tank Luke
FX-7
21-B
K-3PO
Leia Hoth custom (from Leia Bespin Escape)
Han Bespin (POTJ)

Probe Droid

Probot
Chewie Hoth
Han Solo Hoth (custom from '96 Hoth Solo)

-------------------------------------

Echo Base

General Rieekan
Princess Leia Hoth
21-B medical droid
Luke Hoth (custom - cap off)
Han Hoth (custom - hood down)
Wedge Antilles
Dash Rendar snowspeeder pilot (custom)
Gonk Droid

(and below the command center in trenches outside the mountain - playset from 1997)

2 Deluxe Hoth Rebel Soldiers with radar dish cannons
2 Hoth Rebel Soldiers (with goatees)
1 Hoth Rebel Soldier 2004

--------------------------------------------------------

Battle of Hoth

2 Rebel Snowspeeders flying
6 Rebel Pilots (played by Snowspeeder Luke)
1 Rebel Snowspeeder crashed
6 Hoth Han Solos (unrecognizeable as Han anyway, they are Hoth soldiers)
1 Deluxe Hoth Soldier w. Radar Dish Cannon
4 Luke Hoth figures (1997 standing in as regulars)
6 Hoth Rebel Soldiers (goatee sporters)
1 Hoth Rebel Soldier 2004
1 AT-AT snow walker
1 AT-ST vintage Scout Walker
1 Probot from Turret & Probot Playset 1981
6 Imperial Snowtroopers 1997
1 AT-AT Commander
1 AT-AT Driver
1 Deluxe Snowtrooper w. e-Webb cannon
1 Imperial Attack Base playset from 1981 (Rebel occupied as the trenches)
1 Turret and Probot Playset 1981 (Rebel controlled of course)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, there's probably nothing more I'd have room to add to these scenes no matter what they came out with. I've got some space I could add a new Hoth Rebel Soldier (to replace the vintage style one) or Torynn Far, but that's about it. I never needed to even buy any more snowtroopers if you will.

But that (minus descriptives of my Cloud City diorama) describes what I do with all the figures I buy in my "white room."

I'd like to think some pictures of that would be worth it. Too bad it all cost so much I never afforded a digital camera :rolleyes:

darthdeogg
06-21-2004, 05:20 PM
They can keep the action poses and blaser effects....i just hope the new gimmik is not a collectable card in the back. Like trading cards taped inside the bubble, that would just be irritating.

Well, the TCG is pure junk, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see hasbro force feed cards from it down our throats.

Change the size so they don't coincide with the exhisting lines...You know they've thought of it...still NO, sheesh what a tough crowd, okay how about---

They did it with G.I. Joe and 95% fo the figures absolutely STINK.

I wouldn't mind seeing some super-articualted figs, all while maintaining the same size. That might rock

Veers
07-11-2004, 01:05 AM
I guess we will have to wait and see. I hope they do better marketing than Episode 2.

plasticfetish
07-11-2004, 06:19 AM
I hope they do better marketing than Episode 2.
Oh man, ain't that the truth! I can't imagine that they'd do worse though. :ermm:

joe-da
07-25-2004, 12:25 PM
well, according to a Hasbro Q&A posted on theforce.net (reported by rebelscum), some figures WILL have action features.....

I weep...

plasticfetish
07-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Yeah, (I was there) they did say that there was still a chance that we'd see some figures with action features in the future. They're holding to the idea that the "kids" really like them, and it ads to the variety of figures -- some for collectors, some for kids, some for both.

I talked with one of the designers (Brian) and he was pretty honest about the whole action feature thing, and about how hard it was to incorporate them into such small scale figures. The biggest thing that he tried to stress, was that because it was such a new idea, and because the factories in China had never had to handle anything like this, that there was for sure a learning process going on with the whole thing. But, he stressed that they'd both come a long way as far as knowing how to get these things to work.

I'd really wait and see just exactly what kind of action features they end up using. It may not be all the -- push button -- type things. The kind of interchangeable part stuff that we're seeing on the new Dagobah Luke is also an option... a good one I think.

AmanaMatt
07-25-2004, 03:55 PM
I have no real hope for cool action features, and the Hasbro folks at the Q&A very much stated that they know some fans will not like all the figures, which I found the honesty refreshing, actually; I do not like action features, but this is a business, so what can you do? I'll just buy what I like, and since I am no longer a completist, (as I donated 85 EP I & II figs from my collection), I'll pass on the crap, and I do expect to see a lot of repeat OBI and Anakins figs, like with EP II.

Kidhuman
07-25-2004, 10:25 PM
I want nuetral action figure poses. Action features mean one scene wonders.

El Chuxter
07-26-2004, 11:32 AM
They said there will be action features in some ROTS figures, and the card they showed was for "General Grievous with Slashing Action."

I only hope they learned from their early Saga mistakes and will handle the gimmicks better. :(

Tycho
07-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Gimmicks:

foil stickers on the cards (neutral. No one cared)

Freezeframes (clutter. wasn't that cool. Some spent more on an album, projector, etc. What difference would that make? You have the movies don't you? Pause on the scene. Like I said: useless clutter)

Expanded Universe Diorama cardbacks (here was some value! Kind of cool. They could have chosen better scenes in some cases, but it was nice!)

Flashback cards (interesting tie-in, but ultimately clutter. Still made new figures more fun on the pegs when you first saw them - in the same vein as "if I still collected pop-up books")

CommTech: (poor technology, interesting application. Darth Vader as a chipmunk was especially fun though. Doubling as stands, that worked)

Stands: clear ones would be the best. Some of the landscaped stands that interconnect are awesome though. Black ones that say Star Wars or whatever are the worst. Clear stands with the figures rock. They can't screw up this pack in too badly and it's a cheap and good way to go.

Action Features: depends on what you mean: Dooku's slash was pretty cool. Anakin's kicking action and especially Obi-Wan's javelin throw were especially bad. Super articulation beats these features any day. Action features might be the trend in larger figures, but it so often doesn't work in little ones like SW. SW has a deeper customer base. You don't need action features on little figures to attract the fans.

Props: Padme's arena pillar she's chained to. Obi-Wan's assassin droid, Teemto Pagules' podracer parts picker, these were cool!

ronhudy
07-31-2004, 11:57 AM
I think Action Features should be limited to Deluxe figures or perhaps even a side line of figures that kids will buy; something with a vehicle or accessory. My kids like these kind of figures. They're 8 and 9, so they do open and play with a lot of what I buy them, but they also like hanging some carded figures in their room as well.

I think the basic figures shoud just have some nice articulation, and a nice appearance/pose in the package. That way, they satisfy both diorama builders and carded figure collectors. I do like the OTC card with the backdrops. They're a 110% improvement over those initial EP2 purple background things - those were ATROCIOUS!