PDA

View Full Version : What will Hasbro do when Hall of Fame and OTC figs clog the pegs?

B'Omarr Monkey
06-04-2004, 01:00 AM
I made my round of the various retail chains today, and noticed the pegs already clogging up with the Hall of Fame figures. I imagine that the majority of them will still be there when the OTC packaging of many of these same figures start hitting the stores. Then we will probably be faced with pegs and pegs of Han Solos (despite the OTC one selling for $800+ on ebay recently), Leias, R2s, etc.

The question is what will Hasbro do when this happens? Obviously they won't kill the line with Ep. 3 coming up, but will they finally realize that we diehard collectors are almost entirely the only audience they have for these toys, and not imaginary 8-11 year old kids? After the first wave of Ep. 3 toys will we start seeing more Jocosta Nu's, Yarna d'al Gargans, Wan Sandages, etc. and less resculpts of core characters?

Or, do you think it will be more of the same, or do you think the line will rapidly close shop within a year or two of Ep. 3's release?

I'm hoping Hasbro will cater to us all the way, and maybe, just maybe, actually start listening to our requests for which figures we want made.

Kidhuman
06-04-2004, 01:56 AM
The question really is what will happen. HAsbro will keep making figures. Will the storers order them? Hopefully. But with product not moving it is less than likely. I think retail shopping is going the way of the Dodo. I think I am headed towards e-tailers.

dindae
06-04-2004, 08:30 AM
I don't expect anything different from them. Eventually the figures will sell. It may take a while but the good thing of having so many recards is that I doubt any one figure will dominate the pegs making it impossible to move them. So while it might be after Christmas it should clear out. The line won't stop the new figures will still be released just may be months before there is space on the shelves and there might be a lot fewer of them to find. I agree the collectables are going to a more e-tailing business but Hasbro stated a long time ago that they will not produce a line if it cannot sell it to retail probably because they don't feel they can hit their break even point per figure in sales that way. But nothing can stop the glut of figures that will come for E3 so Hasbro gets a "get out of jail free card" until then.

JEDIpartner
06-04-2004, 09:22 AM
I think they'll sit on the shelves until the DVD comes out. They'll sell a few... mark the rest down... vow to never carry SW figures again... over-order Episode III figures. The Cycle Continues...

Jayspawn
06-04-2004, 10:34 AM
I think JEDIpartnr is right. It goes on and on and on. Come movie time- stores bank off Star Wars big time. I just dont see Star Wars lasting till 2018 or whenever its supposed to be -at least not the figures.

evenflow
06-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Like I have said before, Hasbro is playing a dangerous game. The stores will have over stock and stop ordering new product. :(

amidalak
06-04-2004, 10:47 AM
as much as i would like to see new, obscure, and different characters come to the pegs, i gotta say, i think your whole concept about these recards is wrong. hasbro consistently says that the main characters are the figs that drive this line. in my area, main characters, like the one's being recarded, never clog the pegs, it's the obscure figs, like the fans choice figs, r3p0, imp dignitaries, or the rancor keeper, that lock the pegs up for new figs. i do believe collectors like ourselves make up a large portion of who buys these figs, but i have seen too many kids in the toy aisles buying star wars toys to believe that they don't contribute to sales significantly. my hope is that this track record continues, and that this push of the original trilogy main characters, along with the recognizable secondary characters, combined with the dvd release, gives the line a little boost. i don't believe we will see much of any HOF or OTC figs clogging the pegs, and if we do, it will be the secondary characters, not the recards of main characters.

Ji'dai
06-04-2004, 11:11 AM
HOF and OTC sales will probably spike around the time of the DVD release. I'm sure retail stores will herald the Trilogy's coming as the best thing since sliced bread.

Whether or not they sell out depends on how many new adult collectors and kids get the Star Wars bug. The figures in these lines are easily identifiable to kids and parents. The vintage packaging style will help attract nostalgic adults too.

As for the future, I really doubt that the line will continue past 2005. No new Star Wars movies to help sustain interest; plus the never ending competition for kid's attention from other toy lines. Hasbro's vendors are already revolting; and Wal-Mart, the largest retailer in the county, not wanting to carry an extended product line is an ominous sign. I'd rather the line be cancelled in advance than see it die a slow death and making the last figures nearly impossible to find.

jedimarvin
06-04-2004, 11:30 AM
I'm just waiing for 2007. If Hasbro follows the same formula as they did for EI and EII, the period 2 years after the new movie should see a whole lot of awesome classic trilogy figures. (ie...POTJ and Saga 2004) Then they can produce the 30 or so classic figures that are on my must have list and I can happily stop collecting before star wars hits television and the action figure madnesss starts all over again.

dindae
06-04-2004, 11:52 AM
After the movies I think Hasbro can keep it at a steady release like earlier this year and keep the line going for as long as they can create interesting figures. Honestly I think they will run out of figures to make well before the end of their lease especially if they keep up the staggering 50 figures a year pace. In tychos poll he gave us 126 figures out of the prequels. If you double that for the sequels you get a good 5 years. I don't know if everyone will be able to keep the intrest up but as long as I get new figures I don't have I will be happy.

sith_killer_99
06-04-2004, 12:12 PM
I can happily stop collecting before star wars hits television and the action figure madnesss starts all over again.

I have to say, this is a point I have considered. With the relative success of the Clone Wars cartoon and a possible live action series on the horizon SW and Hasbro just may last til 2018...or at least 2010. ;)

As for clearing out the old stuff, it will happen one way or another. I was worried about the POTJ line when SOGGY hit right before EP2, yet they managed to get the overstock down pretty well. The stores that didn't, just moved the POTJ section down the aisle and basicly treated them like they were a seperate line, which they sorta were anyway.

Bottom line, everyone is gonna carry the new stuff for the opening of the new movie, especially since it is the last film.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-04-2004, 01:13 PM
I have a feeling that most of these figures will not be sitting on the pegs and in fact will be hard to get hold of! That's just my gut feeling.

We shall see soon though. ;)

dindae
06-04-2004, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=sith_killer_99]As for clearing out the old stuff, it will happen one way or another. I was worried about the POTJ line when SOGGY hit right before EP2, yet they managed to get the overstock down pretty well. QUOTE]

I still see some POTJ's final wave at toys r us around here. :dis:

Jay86
06-04-2004, 02:55 PM
After the movies I think Hasbro can keep it at a steady release like earlier this year and keep the line going for as long as they can create interesting figures. Honestly I think they will run out of figures to make well before the end of their lease especially if they keep up the staggering 50 figures a year pace. In tychos poll he gave us 126 figures out of the prequels. If you double that for the sequels you get a good 5 years. I don't know if everyone will be able to keep the intrest up but as long as I get new figures I don't have I will be happy.As long as they keep releasing new figures I'll keep buying. I honestly dont care if they release older figures again, I mean the OTC is a great thing because hopefully it will get kids into the hobby, plus (and this is coming from a kid who collects all his stuff loose) the cards look great. Some beg to me to be bought and displayed carded, and thats something I've hardly ever done (with the exception of the silver Clone). But we are getting a good number of new figures with the OTC line, plus the Cloud Car Pilot, which looks great. And then some re-releases arent so bad either, like the Scout Trooper, assuming this time he'll be easier to find than he was in the POTJ line. Basically, as long as Hasbro doesnt over-do it with the rehashing, and they release a good number of newer figures, I'll keep collecting. Besides, rehashing has been something that has happened since the 70's, so its nothing new. Plus due to the fact that Star Wars is a story composed of such a vastly filled array of characters its kind of essential to release a regular Han and Luke (and any other main character figure) every now and then. I mean after all, they are the most commonly known (OT) characters and ones most people are bound to recognize when walking down the toy aisle....considering your local stores even HAVE new figures...or figures in general.....

dindae
06-04-2004, 03:47 PM
I don't mind the occasional recarded/repackage. I thought the toys R us 4 packs are excellent for that. But I think right now its a bit ridiculous. I expect to see a new version of every main character (Han, Luke, leia, obi etc) every year if not every other. Hopefully they can keep it fresh.

JEDIpartner
06-04-2004, 04:30 PM
The problem with the recards is that it has been the same Han for the last two-three years over and over again. The same thing with Leia. If they'd just take moment to realise that the figures need to come in better rotations, then it would be just fine. I think the dumbest thing they did was to create two separate lines that were being offered almost simultaneously. What was the purpose of the HOF and OTC series coming right on top of each other? They should have just created one line and committed all the recards to that.

Jay86
06-04-2004, 05:49 PM
The problem with the recards is that it has been the same Han for the last two-three years over and over again. The same thing with Leia. If they'd just take moment to realise that the figures need to come in better rotations, then it would be just fine. I think the dumbest thing they did was to create two separate lines that were being offered almost simultaneously. What was the purpose of the HOF and OTC series coming right on top of each other? They should have just created one line and committed all the recards to that.
I know what you're saying about the OTC Han and Leia, then again we're getting completely a new Han, Leia, Luke, and Obi-Wan (among many other figures like C-3PO, Lando, and Vader) with the OTC Vintage asst., so that kind of makes up for the senseless rehashing of Commtech Han and the GC w/slide Leia figures. Thats a good point you make about the HOF and OTC series coming out around the same time too. I've wondered that myself for a while now. Doesnt make much sense that those two lines have been released (or will be) so close to each other in time.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-04-2004, 06:13 PM

Yeah, those are the few I have in mind that will be peg warmers plus chewie and maybe threepio/r2, but most of the others, including the gam guard I believe will be very successful, especially from carded collectors. It's a shame they didn't use the comm tech leia and bespin escape han (I think someone else mentioned this too) but at least we're getting some great new sculpts in the VOTC line of some of these characters.

:)

mericen
06-04-2004, 07:43 PM
I do not think it will be a problem where I live either. Around here the only figures from the HOF collection that seem to be sticking on the shelves are Anakin, Luke and Darth Maul. Plus only Target, Wal-Mart and Meijer are getting them, Toys R Us seems to only have the repack boxes with Aayla Secura, Kid Jedi's etc. And to a certain extent Obi-Wan and Chewy. What I seem to find a lot of right now is the Luke-Throne Room Duel, Han Hoth and Snowtroopers at Wal-Marts. One Target near me has had the same 7 regular figures for about 4 months, 2 Bren Krista- Vanee, 3 Ack Med Beq and two Hoth Rebel Troopers. They have gotten other waves but they have sold them completely out including the HOF wave. This is in Springfield, OH. So I do not think the OTC will sit on the shelves for very long around here.

sith_killer_99
06-04-2004, 09:01 PM
I still see some POTJ's final wave at toys r us around here.

So do I, TRU seemed to get stuck with a grip of POTJ. The important thing is that it didn't cause them to hold back on the SAGA line when it hit. I am sure some stores will still have SAGA and OTC/VOTC figs when EP3 hits, but that won't stop 'em from putting out a bunch of new product.

Bobby Fett
06-04-2004, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=mericen] One Target near me has had the same 7 regular figures for about 4 months, 2 Bren Krista- Vanee, 3 Ack Med Beq and two Hoth Rebel Troopers. QUOTE]

This past Wednesday my "local" TRU (110 miles one way!) had 28 action figures: one R-3PO and the rest pretty evenly split between Ach-Med and Kren Blista. So I doubt they'll be stocking anything else for a while.

The Target in the same city is clogged with animated figures.

I foresee missing out on several waves of new figures.

Turbowars
06-04-2004, 10:38 PM
I have a feeling that most of these figures will not be sitting on the pegs and in fact will be hard to get hold of! That's just my gut feeling.

We shall see soon though. ;)Yep! That's what's going to happen. Great minds think alike.;)

OCB
06-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Hasbro is saved by Episode III just as they were with Episode I when they repacked the same figures over and over again with the Freeze Frames

I see no difference this time...the new figures will fly off the shelves and the rest will move slowly...with army builders and new paint variants moving a little faster

Stuff will get clearanced but with this hopefully only being a few month thing, new stuff (late 2004/early 2005) should be out in November and with Episode III coming, retail will sign on for another round of pegwarming overmade goodness

Kidhuman
06-05-2004, 11:42 AM
Like OCB said, around August, September, alot of stuff will be clearanced foChristmas. Then after Christmas stuff will be clearanced then EP3 stuff will hit the shelves.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Target has been my best source of figures the past couple years. The Hall of Fame figures seem to have moved okay at first, but might be slowing down a bit now. Last week when I was in there, as I was walking to the checkout, there was a kid that was getting an animated figure.

Wal-Mart had nothing for a long time this year and then finally got the Dadonna wave. Now they have HOF figures. TRU finally got rid of most of their Jango Pilots that have been clogging the pegs but now they put out more 2002 figures. I've not checked K-Mart much to see how things are there. I've got a lot of figures from Fred Meyer this year, but now that I have just about everything, nothing new seems to be showing up there.

The HOF figures shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as we don't continue to get more and more cases of them instead of new figures. I don't think it will affect the Episode III figures anymore than the older waves affected the Episode I and II figures. I'm looking forward to the OTC figures. They look good from what I've seen and I like the old packaging. I never kept my vintage cards except for maybe one I still have.

mericen
06-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Yes I know one Toys r Us that for about three or four months the only regular figure that they had was a lone Orn Free Taa. Then they put out the Old Zuttons they still had remain from POTJ times. Plus there is another Toys r Us that has probably about 20 of the Episode 2 preview Zam Wessel on the shelf still. I hope this is just them clearing out the back rooms to make room for the new figures.

Kidhuman
06-05-2004, 11:58 AM
They can clear out the back room all they want, clearing the shelf space is what matters.

Old Fossil
06-05-2004, 01:25 PM
I was worried about this when three of my four 'local' Wal-Marts were suddenly slammed with the Hall of Fame wave last month, but the new figures are moving surprisingly fast, at least in two stores. Vader and the Stormtroopers go quickly (I did my duty as a collector and relieved one store of 3 of their 4 Stormies); it looks like Han, Leia, Anakin, and Obi-Wan will be around to keep the myriad Kren-Blista Vanees and Ack-meds company well into the holiday season.

As for the OTC collection, I plan on buying several to keep carded. Hopefully those fancy-shmancy new cards will help move that line along and keep it alive well into next year.

Ric Olie
06-06-2004, 03:40 PM
The HOF figures have yet to hit my area but seeing how the Yavin and Endor waves just arrived in the last 2 weeks I'm afraid the HOF are on there way to clog the shelves.

Kidhuman
06-06-2004, 03:47 PM
At least you got the Endor wave. The HOF wave is a few months old, so it may avoid you. MOst of the figures do sell out fast. The Vader and Stormy will go quickly, so get those while you can.

jjreason
06-06-2004, 04:18 PM
I think the whole point of the HOF series was to pepper the 2004 Saga figures with some recognizable faces (as most of this year's figures have been less recognizable background types, besides the Lukes). Why their case assortments wouldn't include a few the HOF figures in with each batch of new ones is beyond me, however.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-06-2004, 10:59 PM
It's possible that they do include more recent figures, but I'm not seeing it reflected in what's on the shelves. Mainly I'm seeing Darth Maul, Han, R2, C-3PO, Chewie, Obi-Wan and a a couple others that are escaping me right now. It gets confusing when there are still the previous saga carded Hans sitting around too. I occassionally see some leftovers from the Hoth wave, Bossk, Dengar and Ozzel, but not much else.

What I don't get, is that if Hasbro knew it would be releasing the OTC wave in the Fall, why include the same figures in the HOF group? The same Han, Chewie, C-3PO? These waves are just too close together. And sure the OTC packaging is nice, and a lot of people will be buying these figures that they already have just to keep them carded, but--that still leaves a lot of HOF figures floating around.

I think December is going to be grim for many of us. Anything new that Hasbro is planning on releasing then is going to be passed over by the retailers until they can get rid of the OTC and HOF stock.

I'm not worried about the vintage line selling well. I'm actually worried that I'll even be able to find any of it in the first place.

JEDIpartner
06-07-2004, 10:49 AM
The only thing I see saving the OTC line from doom (with the collectors) is the fact that the cards are about the nicest ones they've put out in a long time. I will probably keep a couple of the ones I like the best when I get mine from KEBco but the rest will be relegated to the Jake or Robert pile (for birthdays and Christmas).

sith_killer_99
06-07-2004, 12:35 PM
I like the best when I get mine from KEBco but the rest will be relegated to the Jake or Robert pile (for birthdays and Christmas).

Blasphemy!!!

Kidhuman
06-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Should go to the SSG trade forum

dindae
06-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Let him be he's cultivating new collector by 2013 they could help keep the line going while the rest of us are still waiting for Garna and dead head sculpts for the major characters. :D

JEDIpartner
06-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Exactly!!! You know... I get so excited when I see a new generation of kids getting hyped over Star Wars toys.

My co-worker (Robert's mom) is such an awesome mom and they don't have a lot of money for such things. Her kids are so well behaved and polite. I can't help but want to see them all happy over an occasional action figure. Just by coincidence... they DID plan their first family vacation in a couple years and they are at Disney this week. Robert was so excited when he found out about Star Wars weekends. He called me here at work to tell me all about it and said he was going to take a lot of pictures. That was just too cute.

dindae
06-07-2004, 02:00 PM
I have gotten a few duplicates that I didn't need over the years. Either from gifts or when I get so excited at the store and don't realize I picked up one too many Vaders. I give them away to young kids I know. First because they do get excited second because usually by the time I get around to it they are pegwarming and I know if I return them it will just hinder me finding new figures.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-07-2004, 05:14 PM
My kids have a pretty good assortment of SW figs, most of which came from when TRU had marked all those Ep. 1 and POTF2 figures down to $2. Much to the horror of their dad, they are more into other things right now besides SW. Occassionally, they are still interested in a new figure when they see what I bring home, or when we're in the store together. I can tell you though, they are not interested in new Hans, Lukes, Leias, Mauls, Vaders, Obi-Wans, Qui-Gons, etc. "We already have him." is what they generally say.

The ones that caught their interest recently were Bossk, Rappertunie, R-3PO, the Wampa and Jabba's court denizens (though I suspect that mostly has to do with Bubo coming with a leash, since my daughter mainly plays with the massiff , whom she's named "Robert," for the same reason.

Kidhuman
06-08-2004, 10:38 AM
My step son loves getting SW figures. But I do believe iif it wasnt for me, he would have 0 interest in the line.

bigbarada
06-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Well, I just hope I actually see the HoF or OTC figures on the shelves someday. My Wal-Mart still has its SW section clogged with Pilot Padmes, Imperial Dignitaries, Ack-Med Beck and Faytonni figures.

In fact, we only just today got in the Throne Room Luke and Vader and Pit of Carkoon Fett. :cry:

Kidhuman
06-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Dang, and I thought Va. was horrible.