PDA

View Full Version : More Universal Monster Legacy sets to come?

B'Omarr Monkey
06-04-2004, 01:06 AM
I just read on CreepyClassics.com that it's rumored that Universal will release 3 more Monster Legacy sets in the Fall. These are "The Invisible Man Legacy," "The Mummy Legacy," and "The Creature from the Black Lagoon Legacy."

These are not confirmed, but I believe sales of the batch that were just released exceeded expectations. I remember a few online stores including amazon.com, had them listed on back order before the release date "due to unexpected interest in these titles."

I hope that if this does happen, that they'll release them in a boxed set with three more of those awesome Sideshow busts.

Now, if they'll only release "The Black Cat," "The Raven," and "Tarantula" on DVD...

James Boba Fettfield
06-04-2004, 08:39 AM
I hope so. I love The Creature films.

RooJay
06-07-2004, 07:53 PM
I recall hearing that the others were planned for release this fall. I certainly hope they get the deluxe treatment also; my Sideshow busts are a bit lonely without the rest of their friends.

Jayspawn
06-07-2004, 11:51 PM
I hope the others are on the way, I want em!

Lets not forget "The Phantom of the Opera" with Claude Rains! That one was awesome!

Beast
06-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Fangoria/Bloody Disgusting has confirmed them for release on Oct. 5th:

"Fango has learned that Universal Home Video has three more Monster Legacy Collections set to follow the recent successful DVD packages devoted to Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster and the Wolf Man. Debuting October 5 will be disc sets dedicated to the Creature from the Black Lagoon (including the first film and the DVDebuts of REVENGE OF THE CREATURE and THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US), the Mummy (the Karloff original plus THE MUMMY'S HAND, THE MUMMY'S TOMB, THE MUMMY'S GHOST and THE MUMMY'S CURSE) and the Invisible Man (the James Whale classic along with the disc premieres of THE INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS, THE INVISIBLE MAN?S REVENGE, THE INVISIBLE AGENT and THE INVISIBLE WOMAN). Each set will include at least some of the extras from the previously released DVDs. October 19 sees Universal's video release of VAN HELSING, the big-budget monster mash starring Hugh Jackman. No details on that DVD are available yet, but an extensive special edition can no doubt be expected."

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
06-21-2004, 11:55 PM
Moohahaha!!! I cant wait!

"I'll show you who I am, and what I am!!!!" -The Invisible Man

B'Omarr Monkey
06-22-2004, 01:16 AM
Any word, JarJar, on whether the new legacy sets will be given the boxed set treatment with sideshow busts?

Beast
06-22-2004, 03:57 AM
No word yet, but I'm pretty sure they will. After all, the set seems to have gone over pretty well with collectors of both DVD's and Busts. :)

Beast
07-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Here's the specs for the new sets, no word on a boxed set with busts yet. But I'd imagine they will release one, since the first one sold so well. :)

Details are in on the triumvirate of new Universal Monster Legacy Collection DVDs arriving October 19th. Each will retail for about thirty bones, and we can expect the same adoring treatment we witnessed earlier this year given to Frankenstein (review), Dracula (review), and Wolf Man (review) now being dished out to The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Invisible Man, and The Mummy. These packages will arrive just shortly after the release of Stephen Sommers' Van Helsing. (Go figure.)

Creature From the Black Lagoon (2-disc Set)

Creature From the Black Lagoon
- 1.33:1 Full Frame Presentation
- English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono Track
- Feature Commentary with Film Historian Tom Weaver
- Back to the Black Lagoon Featurette
- Production Photographs
- Theatrical Trailer

Revenge of the Creature
- Commentary with Actor Lori Nelson and Film Historians Tom Weaver and Bob Burns
- Theatrical Trailer

The Creature Walks Among Us
- Feature Commentary with Actor Gregg Palmer and Film Historians Tom Weaver and Bob Burns
- Theatrical Trailer

The Invisible Man (3-disc Set)

The Invisible Man
- Feature Commentary with Film Historian Rudy Behlmer
- Now You See Him: The Invisible Man Revealed
- Production Photographs

The Invisible Man Returns

The Invisible Woman

Invisible Agent
- Theatrical Trailer

The Invisible Man's Revenge

The Mummy (2-disc Set)

The Mummy (1932)
- Feature Commentary with Film Historian Paul M. Jensen
- Mummy Dearest: A Horror Tradition Unearthed
- Archives & Theatrical Trailer

The Mummy's Hand
- Theatrical Trailer

The Mummy's Tomb
- Theatrical Trailer

The Mummy's Ghost
- Theatrical Trailer

The Mummy's Curse
- Theatrical Trailer
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
07-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Sounds great! Cant wait to get them!

RooJay
07-13-2004, 12:50 AM
Has anyone else checked out the Spanish version of Dracula yet? Man, is that ever awesome! I must say that, even though few things in this world are cooler than Lugosi as Dracula, this is definitely the better version. I found it much more interesting and it seems even to have held up better over time than the english language version. It's incredibly freaky how similar the performances of Lugosi and Villarias turned out; especially after having watched Lupita Tovar's intro and learning that the two supposedly never met!

B'Omarr Monkey
07-24-2004, 09:40 PM
I remember reading that the Spanish cast got to see the English version's dailies before they shot, which gave them some edge in making improvements. It may also explain the similarities in the performances by C.V. and B.L.., also Lugosi had been performing it on stage for a while so there's a possibility he may have seen his performance on stage as well. I agree though, it's much, much better.

RooJay
07-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Stranger still that the lead actress seems to believe that the similarities between Lugosi and Villarias was such an amazing coincidence. Not that I doubt that you read that information somewhere, it's just that I heard her say it on film, in person. That would explain the similarities, however.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-28-2004, 12:46 AM
I'll have to watch the Lupita Tovar interview again. I watched it about three years ago. I'm pretty sure that if my info wasn't from the David Sklar documentary on the disc, then it was most likely from his book "Hollywood Gothic" which traces Dracula from book to stage to screen.

Of course, I could just be remembering this wrong, too. :nerv:

I am sure though that the Spanish crew, which filmed at night, did get to watch what Tod Browning shot during the day.

Jayspawn
07-28-2004, 11:59 PM
You're right B'Omarr, the spanish crew saw the dailies so they had time to make improvements. Not as classic as Lugosi but a great film anyways.

Cant wait till that next wave of movies!