PDA

View Full Version : Creed is no more....so sad

James Boba Fettfield
06-04-2004, 05:07 PM
The spiritually inclined band Creed, whose anthemic hits "Higher" and "With Arms Wide Open" helped them become one of the top-selling rock acts of the past decade, has called it quits.

Three former Creed members immediately announced they were forming a new band minus singer Scott Stapp but were quick to say it was not "just Creed with a different singer."

Read the rest here. (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040604/ap_en_mu/music_creed_breakup)

:cry: Today is the day the music died...again. :crazed:

This is what happens when you get intoxicated before a show, mumble and forget your lyrics, wallow around on the stage, and then tell those fans they experienced a unique show and should be content with it.

Goodbye Creed, the world of music will never replace your legacy.

EDIT-I don't know if I was ambiguous or not with what I said and the smiles used, but I am not a Creed fan.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-04-2004, 05:45 PM
(falls to his knees)

DEAR GOD NO!! WHY GOD WHY?!?? TAKE ME INSTEAD!!! TAKE ME INSTEAD!!

(begins to weep bitterly)

This is great freakin' news. I always have and always will loathe Creed. That whole Chicago show incident was just disgraceful and Stapp should be beaten with a wooden mallet. Still, great news! :D

El Chuxter
06-04-2004, 06:07 PM
[Milks the tired "Creed is a clone of Pearl Jam" joke one more time.]

That's sad. :cry: I wonder what Eddie Vedder will do now that his band broke up.

I'll accept this news with arms wide open. :crazed::beard:

LusiferSam
06-04-2004, 07:59 PM
The fewer christian rock bands poising as real rock bands the better. Like Bart Simpson said "All the best bands are associated with [Lucifer]"
But I did have to admit that l like Creed's first album (all of us like something we shouldn't). It has a few good songs, but overall it has the weird christian rock vibe to it. The other albums are garbage.

Exhaust Port
06-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Scott Stapp and Fred Durst are ROCK GODS!!!!!!

....just ask them. :D

Reefer Shark
06-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Good.... now I won't have to suffer through anymore Creed albums at the hands of my fiance.

I want to end my life every time I hear that dudes voice. Seriously!

Good riddance! :smoker:

Rocketboy
06-04-2004, 11:47 PM
Dreams do come true!
*sniffle* This is the happiest day of my life! *sniffle*

mabudonicus
06-05-2004, 09:05 AM
:beard:

aww yeah :beard:

Now they're never gonna make "serious"... or "podium" (just imagine how many vowels that word would have in it if it was used in one of their songs, it really works)

That is funny, this news, cos me and Jedielf were wondering the other day what happened to Creed, talking about that daily show bit where those two kids were suing them for stinking on ice at the chicago show

man, and I thought today was just gonna be a plain ol' day.... time to get crazy :crazed:

scruffziller
06-05-2004, 09:32 AM
I knew about this several months ago.

Exhaust Port
06-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks for sharing then....

2-1B
06-06-2004, 03:14 AM
Now if only Slipknot and Limp Bizkit can follow the lead . . . I just heard that Phish called it quits, too, so I'm even more joyful. I'm gunning for Dave Matthews next and all will be well.

Scott Stapp is a goon, for sure, but I'd still like to see him whip the hell out of Fred Durst.

Exhaust Port
06-06-2004, 09:37 AM
Well Phish probably had their brake up initiated by there bassist who was recently caught in a compromising situation with a young girl who happened to be a Hell's Angel's daughter. Who can blame the rest of the band mates for not wanting to continue on.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Well Phish probably had their brake up initiated by there bassist who was recently caught in a compromising situation with a young girl who happened to be a Hell's Angel's daughter. Who can blame the rest of the band mates for not wanting to continue on.

Actually, no, that whole situation blew over and Mike Gordon was cleared of any charges. The reason Phish is calling it quits is that they've been together for over 20 years and just aren't feeling the same vibe anymore. I'm a huge Phish fan and i can tell by their newest record that things aren't the same as the music doesn't even sound like Phish anymore. I'm hoping i can catch their last shows at their festival in Vermont in August.

Bacta Beast
06-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Well, I'm one of the "few" million people who "liked something they shouldn't have liked" and bought Creed's CDs. Sorry you guys think they sucked so bad. Maybe you'll be more at piece now that there's one less band on the radio to at least represent rock! Yeah, you're right, we're better off with all the kids listening to Britney, Justin, & Chingy (or whatever rapper is the flavor this week).

Sure, alot of their stuff started to sound the same, but don't hate 'em because they had a positive message. Where's your "tolerence" for different points of view? "Wouldn't this world be a boring place if everyone believed the same way?"

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-06-2004, 05:37 PM
I don't know if i'd define Creed really as "rock music" on any level. They seemed to be more of the "pop-rock" kinda like blink 182 is "punk-pop" if you read me. They really didn't have any music that could be defined as their own. Hell, we used to refer to them as "Pearl Temple Garden" due to all the times it seemed that they were ripping off those bands. I think it was also that Scott Stapp was a complete jacka-- with the poor handling of his drunken escapade in Chicago. Any singer who tries to pass off his ignorance as a "unique" experience, should be drug out into the street and beaten with a lead pipe.

But hey, that's just me. :D

Bacta Beast
06-06-2004, 05:40 PM
But I did have to admit that l like Creed's first album (all of us like something we shouldn't).

And what kind of backwards crap is that anyway?! We're automatically not supposed to like a band if their message positive? That's just alot of b.s. to be buying into.

James Boba Fettfield
06-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Well, I don't hold animosity toward Creed because of their sound. I did not like them after learning how they handled their poor performances, specifically their Chicago show. It was like a move Axl Rose would have pulled.

Reefer Shark
06-06-2004, 06:46 PM
And what kind of backwards crap is that anyway?! We're automatically not supposed to like a band if their message positive? That's just alot of b.s. to be buying into.
Yo Bacta, chill out man. No ones attacking you here, some of us just don't like Creed. It's ok if you do. I don't remember hearing anyone say they don't like them because they have a positive message. Personally, I don't care what their message is. IMO the music sucks, and that's all that matters to me.

Hell, I love Slipknot. You don't see me jumping all over Ceaser do you? ;) It's all a matter of taste, and to each his own.

A lot of people like mayonaise, I hate it = makes me want to vomit! :smoker:

BTW: JMG hit it right on the head, Creed is pop-rock just like Blink 182 is pop-punk. There really aren't anymore signed bands out there that are straight up Rock and Roll these days...... it just doesn't sell :greedy:

Darth Jax
06-06-2004, 08:33 PM
i didn't hate creed's first album. i hated it when they released it again with another title. korn does the same thing. they've put out the same album 4 times with different names. thus i have no grief that the band is no more.

but i also allow a double standard to enter into the music equation. i'd prefer metallica not experiment with their sound and continue to crank out albums like their first 4.

Exhaust Port
06-06-2004, 08:48 PM
I think most of the Creed-haters weren't against the message but against the music and egos.

Rocketboy
06-06-2004, 09:46 PM
IMO the music sucks, and that's all that matters to me.Ditto.

BTW: JMG hit it right on the head, Creed is pop-rock just like Blink 182 is pop-punk. There really aren't anymore signed bands out there that are straight up Rock and Roll these days...... it just doesn't sell :greedy:Associating Creed with any form of Rock, even pop-rock, is an insult to rock.

And Velvet Revolver looks very promising in terms of straight up rock and roll (but considering I'm a massive STP fan, I may be a bit biased :) ).

bobafrett
06-07-2004, 01:03 AM
I hate to admit this, but I actually own three Creed C.D.'s. I even tried to get one ticket to the Chicago show, but after hearing about Mr. Stapp's lackluster performance, I'm glad I didn't go (couldn't get a ticket, it was a sold out show.) (BTW, there is a lyric in that last sentence) hint hint *foreigner*

I did take my son to see a Rush concert last night! Now there is a band that has stood the test of time. My 13 year old son even enjoyed the show!

LusiferSam
06-07-2004, 01:42 AM
First off, I just realized that there is a typo in that quote. It should read "But I do," rather then "But I did." I changed what I was typing and must have miss that.

Second let me clarify what I said because it clearly went over your head. I do like Creed's first album, plain and simple. When compared to the most of the music I listen to (and/or like) it's a tad out of character. My experience with most people is at some point I'll learn something about them that is out of character for them. Hence the second part of my quote about liking stuff we shouldn't. Get it?

Finally I don't remember saying anything about a positive or negative message of any band and that being the reason to dislike (or like) that band.

2-1B
06-07-2004, 03:32 AM
Well, I certainly don't mind the indictment of Creed as a "Pearl Jam ripoff" - considering Pearl Jam crapped out after their first album, SOMEBODY had to pick up the torch. ;)

James Boba Fettfield
06-07-2004, 03:54 AM
Hell, I love Slipknot. You don't see me jumping all over Ceaser do you? ;) It's all a matter of taste, and to each his own.

Well hell, I'm starting to warm up to Slipknot after the great job their drummer did going above and beyond by filling in for Lars Ulrich at the Download Festival this weekend. Also Lombardo from SLAYER!!! and Flemming, Lars' drum tech, did some filling in. I give credit to Mr. Slipknot drummer, he went eight songs with them.

....wait, this was supposed to be about Creed, wasn't it? :nerv:

arctangent
06-07-2004, 06:32 AM
Well, I certainly don't mind the indictment of Creed as a "Pearl Jam ripoff" - considering Pearl Jam crapped out after their first album, SOMEBODY had to pick up the torch. ;)

i have to disagree - pearl jam have never written a bad song let alone made a bad album. creed is what you would have got if pearl jam had remade ten over and over and i really don't like groups who write and release the same sounding thing over and over again. it wouldn't have been so bad if creed had found their own sound but they just spent their whole career ripping off pearl jam and alice in chains.

mabudonicus
06-07-2004, 08:07 AM
(BTW, there is a lyric in that last sentence)

Well, at least you got to hear one guitar and I bet it didn't blow ya away ;)

good one, Frett, double :beard: s to that classic reference.. man I love that song

Oh, and to keep on topic, the "message" of creed wasn't too hot either... sounded like a bunch of (ironically) self aggrandizing self-flagellation...

And yeah, gotta make it clear that I could care less what anyone likes to listen to, just certain "tastes" would keep me from hiring people to DJ my wedding, is about the only real-life implication I could see

oh, and they were ripping off one-hit-wonder "Live" too, but no-one cared ;)

Kidhuman
06-07-2004, 10:07 AM
oh, and they were ripping off one-hit-wonder "Live" too, but no-one cared ;)

Leave "Live" out of this. And explain One Hit Wonder with them. They have 6 albums, all better than the rest. Just because they "****" in the mainstream, doesnt make them a one hit wonder.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-07-2004, 11:17 AM
Leave "Live" out of this. And explain One Hit Wonder with them. They have 6 albums, all better than the rest. Just because they "****" in the mainstream, doesnt make them a one hit wonder.

I'm gonna have to side with Kid on this one. Live is a great band in every aspect. I do like how their albums got more and more spiritual AND the music still rocked my socks off. I also had the pleasure of seeing Live with the Counting Crows back in 2000 and it was so awesome. Ed is the man at live shows and manipulates the crowd like a God. and i counted like 4-5 hits they had, so "one hit wonder" really can't apply to them. :D

Rocketboy
06-07-2004, 11:45 AM
"One Hit Wonder" doesn't mean they don't have multiple albums, it means they've only had 1 mainstream hit.

Kidhuman
06-07-2004, 11:49 AM
I know that Rocketboy, but they have had more than one mainstream hit. See JMG's
James Boba Fettfield
06-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Well...I really don't know anything about Live...

So I am going to side with mabudon because he told me about the Hendrix/Kilmister connection. We talked about some other stuff, and he's like Yoda in many ways. A man of metal...and probably other stuff, too.

And he has a picture of him and Dio! Devil horns and all!

Now let's put on some Holy Diver or Ace of Spades or The Fallen One and bang our heads to music that we all agree rocks.

2-1B
06-07-2004, 12:34 PM
PEarl Jam has never written a bad song ? Right. :rolleyes:

Counting Crows - another band which needs to go . . . terrible song for Shrek 2, just terrible.

Jaymz, "I'm the maaaan on the siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilver mountaaaaaaaaain ! "

arctangent
06-08-2004, 05:24 AM
imo pearl jam have never written a bad song. they are one of the most consistent bands i have ever come across. they are brilliant live too. i have seen them in venues ranging from the 4000 capacity brixton academy to the 12000 capacity wembley arena which is like a cattle shed and they are one of the few groups i have seen there that managed to make the show still seem like an intimate club show.

live are pretty good too - another band who have been very consistent in the quality of songs across their albums.

as for counting crows - file in the bin next to nickleback.

Tonysmo
06-08-2004, 06:24 AM
I think its time you all cozy up to the newest TESLA CD "Into the Now"

True test of time good ol Rock N Roll..

A court is in session, a verdict is in
No creed on the docket today

mabudonicus
06-08-2004, 08:58 AM
Fettfield- Thanks, man, anything to help the 'heads get what they need, Metal is the way :beard: (btw I got more metal stuff to say, keep yer eyes peeled)

KH, JMG, Sorry to drag "Live" into this, but musically they're almost the same thing as CREED (from the songs I've heard, there could be a whole bunch of radically different stuff, but the stuff I heard sounded like Slade's "My oh my" with rotten vocals and somewhat sillier lyrics, over and over again, could just be me;))
That's what I meant I guess... even Pearl Jam has at least 3 totally different arrangements that I can think of off the top of my head, and I don't give them too much credit (being careful here, huge eyes are watching)

But Creed's still broken up, so it's all good :beard:

And again I feel it important to stress, I would never judge anyone on what they liked (unless they liked throwing stuff at my head or something, then I would have a problem) but judging an artists' body of work, especially so close to (and having lived through) the times which would best give it context, I'm all for it.

:beard: out

Reefer Shark
06-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Well hell, I'm starting to warm up to Slipknot after the great job their drummer did going above and beyond by filling in for Lars Ulrich at the Download Festival this weekend. Also Lombardo from SLAYER!!! and Flemming, Lars' drum tech, did some filling in. I give credit to Mr. Slipknot drummer, he went eight songs with them.

....wait, this was supposed to be about Creed, wasn't it? :nerv:
Oh wow, that's pretty cool! I would love to have seen that, Slipknots drummer really kicks @ss on the new album, and of course Dave Lombardi is the king of rolls!

El Chuxter
06-11-2004, 01:25 PM
I for one don't dislike Creed because of their positive message. If that was the case, I'd hate U2, and they're one of my favorites. They're also a lot better than Creed musically. Plus, you don't see Bono on the news for getting drunk and doing crappy shows. You see him following his beliefs and trying to make a real difference. Love 'em or hate 'em, agree or disagree, you have to give U2 credit for that.

Live is a great, versatile band, mabudon. And as for hits. . .

From Mental Jewelry (and, if you're a completist, also from Four Songs):
1. Operation Spirit (The Tyranny of Tradition)

From Throwing Copper:
2. Selling the Drama
3. I Alone
4. Lightning Crashes
5. All Over You

From Secret Samadhi:
6. Rattlesnake
7. Lakini's Juice
8. Turn My Head

From The Distance to Here:
9. Dolphin's Cry

From V:
10. Overcome

From Birds of Pray:
11. Heaven

And even though they weren't hits, "Waitress" from Throwing Copper, "Freaks" from Secret Samadhi, and a freakin' incredible cover of Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line" from the Good Rocking Tonight: The Legacy of Sun Records are three of my all-time favorite tracks.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Chux- I think you left out "pain Lies in the riverside"- i know that got lots of airplay, at least around here. I still it hear it from time to time. :D

Oh well, different strokes for different folks. We all may not agree on music, but we can all share in the joy that Creed is no more. I suggest buying buches of their CD's and burning them to celebrate. :p

El Chuxter
06-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Chux- I think you left out "pain Lies in the riverside"- i know that got lots of airplay, at least around here. I still it hear it from time to time. :D

Oh well, different strokes for different folks. We all may not agree on music, but we can all share in the joy that Creed is no more. I suggest buying buches of their CD's and burning them to celebrate. :p

Ooh, that was definitely not an intentional omission. That song rules!

I think Creed, to me, falls in the "if I see a used copy of their big CD for less than $3, I'll consider buying it." (Of course that doesn't always mean I will. I had the same thoughts about Fiona Apple, then I listened to a copy that was priced at $1 and decided it was 99 cents too much! :D)

Kidhuman
06-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Chux, not their big hits, but on Throwing Copper, Pillar of Davidson and White Discussion as well. On Secret Samadhi, two of my favorite songs, Voodoo Lady and Insomnia and a hole in the Universe. Great tunes but we could sit here and discuss Live for days. I do believe they deserve their own appreciation thread.

arctangent
06-14-2004, 04:53 AM
sorry to have to point out, kh, that voodoo lady is on the distance to here not secret samadhi. thinking about live's back catalogue i feel that, like pearl jam, live have never really written a bad song and are very powerful in concert. could do with a live album from them really.

Kidhuman
06-14-2004, 08:33 AM
You're right. Thats what I get for thinking first thing in the morning.

There is only one song by Live that I can not stand and that is Stage. But one song in 6(7 if you count FOur SOngs) CD's.

arctangent
06-14-2004, 09:59 AM
or rather not thinking first thing in the morning. i don't attempt to think myself until lunchtime and then its only for ten minutes!

i actually really like stage - its one of their faster songs and they don't have too many of those.

mabudonicus
06-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Chux.... I guess that lightning crashes song was enough for me.... I couldn't get around how lightning flashes and thunder kinda rumbles..... anyone trying to make such a flagrant grammatical error so heavy is just plain silly in my book, give me Goat Horn any day :beard: