PDA

View Full Version : Justice League 10" question

B'Omarr Monkey
06-07-2004, 08:44 PM
I was thinking about getting some of the 10" Justice League figures for my 3 1/2 year old son. He's in a bit of a super hero phase right now and just inherited all of my Toy Biz Marvel action figures and the few 10" Marvel figures that you used to see in KB Toys all the time.

Anyway, my question is, do these things have much articulation? It doesn't look like they do, so I don't know what the play value will be. The other thing is they look pretty top heavy, so how good are they at standing on their own?

Some articulation would be good. Too much articulation seems to frustrate my son as his 12" Hulk always end up with his limbs going all over the place, and Spider-man he has a hard time configuring into various poses.

JediTricks
06-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Aren't these the ones with standard shoulders and useless rotational thighs, making them basically statues? I know what you mean about too much articulation, it can be frustrating at times, but Mattel refuses to have that problem by giving their JL figs as little articulation as possible. ;) Toy Biz, on the other hand, usually makes super-articulated and not-so-articulated versions of their main characters.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-07-2004, 09:41 PM
Thigh articulation is more than is apparent looking through the window of the box. I'm not sure why they have it though if the knees don't bend. Not too many posing choices. No elbows? The shoulders rotate to make the arms swing up and down? I guess I could hang Superman and Green Lantern from the ceiling so they look like they are flying.

On the other hand I can save the $10 bucks and buy him some other toys that he can actually play with.

Thanks for the info, JT.

JediTricks
06-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Sure thing. I looked at these close-up yesterday at Kmart, they have neck articulation too, but in all honesty I think they're just not cool items. BTW, as a kid, it always bothered me that Superman figs could put their arms above their heads but couldn't look in that direction and couldn't point their feet down. :D

B'Omarr Monkey
06-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Same here. He always had to scan the ground below. He's lucky he never collided with a duck or anything.

plasticfetish
06-11-2004, 05:32 PM
I'll chime in real quickly...

I've only bought one of these 12" figures (the Manhunter) but for what it is and the price I think it's pretty decent. As for play value, I'd say it depends what he's used to. They're really just big versions of the 4" figures, which I like also and which I think are nice sturdy toys for a kid. It may simply be pointless to have the big ones though if he's got the little ones. (That's pretty much the case with us.)

The "standing" thing is an issue with these. They've got those narrow little legs and they're sort of top heavy. If they're apt to spend most of their time being thrown around the yard, in the tub or buried in sand, then I'd say they're fine.

JediTricks
06-12-2004, 03:48 AM
The 4"ers are overpriced, but they at least have REAL leg articulation where these do not. Also, some later incarnations of the 4"ers have elbow and/or knee articulation. As a kid, I could see being into the Batman or Superman figure because of who they are, but that is it.

RooJay
06-13-2004, 12:16 AM
My girlfriend just finished up the rest of my Justice League 10 inch collecton for my birthday today! I have to say that I think they're great! They may be a bit lacking in the articulation area, but I prefer them as display pieces - they look pretty similar to the much higher priced maquettes. Even though I always preferred figures with much more articulation as a kid, I still think that any kid who's a fan of the show and it's characters would find them perfectly acceptable as playthings. I'm honestly hoping they continue the line (they're a much better value than the smaller line) with more offerings from the first show and all the new characters from the upcoming Justice League Unlimited. I'm just dying to get my hands on a 10 inch animated Green Arrow, Lex luthor, and the Shade among others.

Hellboy
06-13-2004, 11:46 AM
I have a complete set of the 10 inch line and I love them. I agree with the points already made about them being pretty much statues but thats fine by me because I like them as display pieces too. Articulation isn't their strong point but for me they're well worth the $10. :cool:

As far as playability goes I know as a kid I always preferred the smaller action figures because the larger stuff felt like dolls. However the 4 inch JL line is pretty hit and miss as far as quality goes, more miss than hit IMO. The articulation isn't great and the line consists of mostly the main characters with useless armor and stupid gimmicks like the "Mission Vision" junk. :dis:

LTBasker
06-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Yeah, the 4" articulated figures are pretty crappy. Darkseid's not too bad since he's new and fairly large, but the joints on the JL team figures are really sad. All they did was they took the sculpts they were already rereleasing and then put joints in the knees and elbows. But since they don't have articulated feet the knee joints are pretty useless without stands.

Back to Darkseid though..they really crapped out on him. He could have at least had articulated wrists as his are thicker than the 6" Batman wrists. Same with shoulder articulation, he has some huge melons for shoulders but they just made them one-jointed.

Hellboy
06-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Back to Darkseid though..they really crapped out on him. He could have at least had articulated wrists as his are thicker than the 6" Batman wrists. Same with shoulder articulation, he has some huge melons for shoulders but they just made them one-jointed.

I totally agree. He also looks much better displayed without that ridiculous armor. :o

RooJay
06-13-2004, 06:58 PM
What gets me is that the crappy armor junk seems even more pointless every time I see a kid playing with figures in public and they almost never have the accessories attached. I honestly don't believe that kids even give a care about that stuff; seems to me like the overwhelming majority of them strip away the armor and weapons on their superheroes soon as the get 'em out of the package, and lose it all. That has certainly been the case with all the kids in my family for at least the past twenty years, and I have a huge family that's always had lots of kids around!

B'Omarr Monkey
06-17-2004, 11:51 PM
I am in agreement about the lame accessories. It would be better if they packed in a villain, or something. Martain Manhunter's rubber upper body, gives him no mobility, doesn't really fit, and makes it easy for the kid to lose his Martian head. Green Lantern, who seems like the obvious character to give cool accesories to, has some lame forcefield instead of ring projections.

I'm also not sure why the jet comes with Superman . He can't fly anywhere without it?

Anyway, the reason I called you all here is that for all my solicitated opinions on the 10" JL line, my son made the decision and as a reward for actually allowing a hair cut without any fuss being made (this was not a bribe) he picked out the 10" Flash, and is perfectly happy with the limited articulation, and the figure stands well on its own as well. As an adult, if you hold the Flash loosely by the waist and sort of rock him back and forth at a good speed, you can actually create the illusion of him running really fast.

Now he wants all the others.

JediTricks
06-18-2004, 01:48 AM
They released a version of the jet (which is a pretty neat toy IMO, even if it is a bit bland, this is one I'd recommend for folks with imagination) that was the same toy but came with the Flash under the stupid Mission Morons or whatever the vision disk figs are called, that at least made some sense (even though the Flash is too slight to fit well in the damn thing). Originally, Mattel was going to ship the first version with Batman, but I guess they felt Supes was more recognizable.

Glad your lad likes the 10" Flash. I think the Flash is easy to make look like he's running because you can't usually see his limbs. ;)

B'Omarr Monkey
06-18-2004, 10:52 PM
He got Martian Manhunter today, though it was meant to be something he got for his birthday in September, or some other day when he'd done something to earn it, but my wife didn't know it was still stashed in my car, waiting for him to go to bed so I could bring it in the house. She opened the car door to get something else out of it and he was standing right next to her, so....

I was surprised to see one since I hear they are scarce, which also means, he was the one my son wanted most out of the JL characters. I'm guessing Wonder Woman and Aquaman are tough to find as well. Did they even make a Hawkgirl?

plasticfetish
06-19-2004, 03:42 AM
I'm guessing Wonder Woman and Aquaman are tough to find as well. Did they even make a Hawkgirl?
For a while I was seeing Aquaman at Target quite often. I don't think that I've ever really seen a Wonder Woman, and no, I don't think they made a Hawkgirl. They should though.

The 5" Hawkgirl was just about impossible to find also. I think I saw it maybe twice before I picked one up for my son. He actually hesitated for a week or so before we opened it up -- he knew how rare it was. (I made him open it, because I wanted to play with it.)

B'Omarr Monkey
06-20-2004, 01:28 AM
I have the 5" Wonder Woman, still carded for the same reason. I grabbed her when I saw her. I actually wanted to get a set of the whole JL team for myself to display loose, but as soon as i decided that, all the basic versions of the characters vanished to be replaced by the ridulous Superman in armor w/cannon, etc. versions with maroon costume batman and stuff, so Wonder Woman is as far as I got.

I suspect my kids will get her as well.

RooJay
07-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Looks like they're finally going to make that 10" Hawkgirl afterall. I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't more new 10" being shown at SDCC; I really would've liked to see this line expand.

http://69.93.119.2/photosSHTC/showphoto.php?photo=1476&sort=1&cat=560&page=3

On a side note: the 10" JL assortment with Hawkgirl and Wonder Woman is actually available right now for pre-order through this month's Diamond Previews catalog! Great news!

Also, new pics are out of the Justice League Unlimited 4" line. Looks like great stuff, and I have to say that these have certainly renewed my interest in the smaller scale line! I might even finally pick up the more recent, better articulated versions of Superman, Batman, Green Lantern and the Flash, and even the latest Wonder Woman to hit the shelves looks pretty cool with that red cape.

http://69.93.119.2/photosSHTC/showgallery.php?cat=560&password=

I think it's awesome to get figures of the animated versions of Green Arrow, Dr. Fate, the Prince Gavin version of Starman (Jack Knight would've been cooler though), the Elongated Man, Red Tornado, the Atom and even Amazo (a bit bland on the design though) and Brainiac! I hope Mattel really changes their ways and starts giving this line the proper handling it deserves. I'm dying for more figures from not only this series, but also more from the first Justice League. Since I love making lists so much, here's one of all the JL figures I'd like to see made:

Lex Luthor (in his cool purple and green outfit as opposed to the power armor)
Sinestro
Star Sapphire
Cheetah
Solomon Grundy
Grodd
Giganta
the Shade
Ocen Master
Mera
Copperhead
the Joker (I know there've been plenty already, but I want a JL version anyway)
Metamorpho
a Manhunter Robot
a Guardians of the Galaxy two-pack
Kilowog
Tomar Re
Gallius Zed
Arkiss Chumuck
Katma Tui
Despero
the Thanagarian commander from Starcrossed
a Thanagarian soldier
Etrigan and Jason Blood (perfect for a deluxe two-pack)
Morgaine LeFay
Dr. Destiny
the amazon Aresia
Ares
Draaga
Mongul
Forager
Mr. Miracle
Orion
Lightray
DeSaad
Kalibak
Steppenwolf
Sgt. Rock
Blackhawk
Vandal Savage
an alien invader from the pilot episode
Deadshot
Felix Faust
Kanjar Ro
Eclipso
Static
Firefly
Clayface
Lobo
the Royal Flush Gang

...but I suppose that's too much to ask. :(

Hellboy
07-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Great list RooJay, I'd buy them all. If Mattel started running the line similar to how Hasbro handles Star Wars and gave us a more diverse assortment of characters from the DC universe I would be thrilled. Unfortunately I just don't ever see it happening. :dis:

Nice to see the 10" Hawkgirl is finally getting done. Maybe the 10" line will be the place for us to find a more varied group of characters since all the core members have now been covered and I can't see them putting any of those ugly variant costumes or armor on anything in this line if it does indeed expand.

The new Unlimited line is definitely a step in the right direction. I plan on picking up most if not all of those. Speaking of JL Unlimited has anyone heard when the new Cartoon series is planning on debuting?

RooJay
07-23-2004, 07:42 PM
I just saw the commercial for it the other day. I can't remember the exact date, but I know it's before the end of this month! Can't wait! :D

Hellboy
07-23-2004, 08:37 PM
I wasn't aware it was starting so soon. :sur: I was thinking Fall or around there, glad I asked.

I did a search and according to my digital video recorder it isn't on between now and next Saturday but beyond that I couldn't say. The Cartoon Network website doesn't seem to have any info on the show at all. No surprise there though. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
07-23-2004, 08:50 PM
I think it's premiering on the 30th.

Hellboy
07-23-2004, 08:56 PM
That could be because my search only goes to the 30th at 4pm. So it might be premeiring at night. Hope so. :D

plasticfetish
07-24-2004, 03:30 AM
Again ('cause this seems to be "the" JL thread) here's special just for y'all...

Hellboy
07-25-2004, 04:06 PM
Looks like there is hope afterall because those look sweet!! I especially like the clear MM. :cool: Thanks for the pics PF.

BTW JL Unlimited does indeed premiere on the 30th at 5:30-6:00 p.m. The first episode is titled "Initiation" and revolves around a reluctant Green Arrow being asked to join the new Justice League.

plasticfetish
07-25-2004, 04:42 PM
Yeah, the clear Manhunter was my favorite (I've been buying all of the MM figs.) Thanks for the show time info -- glad I've got that day off. :)

JediTricks
07-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Clear Marvin the Martian ;) is the first version of that character which I'll be buying. Looks like Mattel is finally starting to get this line right, maybe someone got fired. Where's WW's cape though? It's pictured on the just-released Watchtower playset (which weighs a metric TON by the way, I was shocked by how heavy that box is compared to the Javeline 7).

JLU is at 8:30 on the East and West coast, so check local listings folks.

plasticfetish
07-26-2004, 03:50 AM
Ahhh, thanks for that. (A better time for me anyway.)

Here's another pic of the Watchtower, not that we haven't seen it already...

Hellboy
07-26-2004, 03:55 PM

Yeah I have DirecTV and all my non-local channels are from the east coast feed so I get them 3 hrs earlier. I always forget about that, sorry.

The episode also repeats on Sun at 5 pm. for everyone who isn't in a situation like mine. :)

JediTricks
07-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the pic of the Watchtower open, it's 2' tall according to the box, but doesn't exactly look like a playset to me, the central core doesn't seem to have rooms and therefore everything's going on on the outside. I do wonder if it's fun though, it has 1 really weird play feature, the boarding ramp has 2 spring-loaded missiles with a string tied between them, the idea is that it's a tripwire that the Justice League fires at enemies (should kids ever actually find any enemy action figures ;)) coming up the ramp... the Justice League's last line of defense is a shooting tripwire?

plasticfetish
07-27-2004, 01:18 AM
should kids ever actually find any enemy action figuresOh man, tell me about it. PF jr. digs these figures, but it sucks not having any bad guys. It's been, "Where's that Darkseid toy" for ages now.

He seemed pretty excited by the thing. It does look like fun -- I mean, more fun than using the coffee table and a cardboard box as a base. :D I just don't know where we'll put it if we get it. Maybe we'll hang it from the ceiling when he's not playing with it.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-27-2004, 11:42 PM
My son's going to be real happy when these come out. If anyone actually sees the tower in real life, let me know if it's worth picking up for him.

plasticfetish
07-28-2004, 04:22 AM
Yeah... I saw it at Comic-Con and it looks cool. It's gonna be $42.99 I think, so it's not horribly expensive either. If he digs the figures, then I can imagine he'll dig the base.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks PF.

I never got the lack of villains either. I bought the initial Batman: The Animated Series figures for myself because of the villains. After about three waves they pretty much stopped making them.

Now that my son has watched the DVD of BtAS, he's asking for bad guy figures, particularly the Joker, and there's really nothing to be found out there.
Instead, Green Lantern has to fight Superman and Flash as bad guys. (he does occassionally use his 10" Human Torch as a giant bad guy)

Where's the fun in having a team of super heroes if there's nothing for them to do except sit around on monitor duty?

LTBasker
07-28-2004, 09:15 PM
There was a Mattel Batman and Joker 2-pack out before the JL toys and it's still around. It's about $10, has a nice Batman and Joker though.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I remember seeing that, of course before my son took such a liking to the Joker. I looked for it while we were on vacation with no luck. I'm trying to remember what store I saw it in here. I'm making my store rounds tomorrow, so hopefully it will turn up. If not, I may throw myself on the mercy of the members of this thread to help me out.

LTBasker
07-29-2004, 01:08 AM
Well it's $11.99 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008VU6P/qid=1091081197/sr=1-35/ref=sr_1_35/002-9150645-2024836?v=glance&s=toys

Same for Kbtoys: http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/2327859/ctid/17/INstock/Y/D//ls/default

They both also have the Catwoman, Two-Face, NW and Robin sets.

JediTricks
07-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Spotted an Ultra-Humanite figure on the pegs yesterday at TRU, nearly had a heart-attack. He's part of the new switcho-changeo line or whatever it is called, everybody has a gimmick weapon that turns into a tiny vehicle or something, mega lame IMO. I passed on the fig because ultimately, I don't give a fart about UH. ;)

Spotted the pricetag on the Watchtower at TRU, it's $40, I saw it at WM as well but didn't price it. I also noticed that the core is something, it's an elevator shaft, I would have preferred a couple of rooms or something.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Thanks again, LT. Why I didn't think of this, I don't know. I hit all the stores again today to discover that the pegs are now full of the new Batman toys by the ton. I like the design for Batman, but Joker looks lame, and all the rest of the figures are Batman in various flourescent sherbert colored costumes. The batmobile, while being pretty nice looking, looks too much like a regular car and not distinct enough like previous batmobiles. The Batcave playset looks like it might not be too bad though. I didn't have a lot of time to look it over.

Hellboy
07-30-2004, 07:45 PM
Spotted an Ultra-Humanite figure on the pegs yesterday at TRU, nearly had a heart-attack. He's part of the new switcho-changeo line or whatever it is called, everybody has a gimmick weapon that turns into a tiny vehicle or something, mega lame IMO. I passed on the fig because ultimately, I don't give a fart about UH. ;)

This happens to be the only figure I'm interested in out of this assortment. So am I to assume he has some lame gimmick like the rest of this wave? I was hoping he was going to be just a straight up figure and if he did have something stupid on him it could be removed kind of like Darkseid's stupid armor, but I've yet to see the UH.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-30-2004, 07:51 PM
My "favorite" of the lame gimmicks is Superman that comes with a big gun. This is so ridiculously out of character for him,(not to mention completely unnecessary) that I'm stunned it got okayed.

The Green Lantern with the big fist is the only one that makes any sense. The only problem is it drives my son crazy because it doesn't stay on his arm. All the other stuff like Flash's armor, etc., have remained unretrieved at the bottom of his superhero toy bin.

JediTricks
07-30-2004, 08:10 PM
This happens to be the only figure I'm interested in out of this assortment. So am I to assume he has some lame gimmick like the rest of this wave? I was hoping he was going to be just a straight up figure and if he did have something stupid on him it could be removed kind of like Darkseid's stupid armor, but I've yet to see the UH.
None of these figs have a gimmick, their accessories do. UH has a gun that turns into a very tiny hoverboard type thing.

RooJay
07-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Anyone notice that awesome motorcycle Superman figure they were showing at SDCC? Is that thing hilarious or what?! :D It seems that they realized Superman wouldn't really need to ride a motorcycle so they sculpted him actually flying above the motorcycle while hanging on to the handlebars! LOL!!! It doesn't get any better than that! ;)

B'Omarr Monkey
07-30-2004, 08:49 PM
That I've never seen, but I'd probably buy one if I saw it. lol And here I thought the Green Lantern and Flash motorcycles were bad ideas. Greenb Lantern can fly as well. Maybe if they made it look like he was projecting the motorcycle with his ring? And what gives with The Flash? Is the motorcycle for when he's not in a hurry?

plasticfetish
07-31-2004, 03:05 AM
The motorcycle thing. Hah! I really try not to be critical about toys around my son, because I want him to decide what he likes. So when he looks at the Flash w/ bike and says, "Can't he just run faster than the motorcycle? That's dumb!" I had to laugh.

But hey... some kids may dig it. (I blame bad parenting! ;) )

I passed on the fig because ultimately, I don't give a fart about UH. ;)
A gorilla with a huge brain? You can't get into that? I'm waaay into that. I wish that all gorillas had huge super-smart brains. :)

-----

Those new "Batman" toys look pretty lame to me. I was checking out a few of them (didn't see a Joker) but they look pretty cheesy. The paint's kind of bad and the plastic looks cheap.

With the other Batman toys marked down at Target to around $5, it's almost worth getting a few of them. "Grandma" bought PF jr. the (I think it's) "drill gun" Batman. S-T-U-P-I-D gimmick, but the toy's really a good quality toy. He had Robin and so I broke down and gave him the Killer Crock that I was hiding, so we... I mean HE could have them all fight.

LTBasker
07-31-2004, 05:04 PM
Found UH today, surprisingly it's a good figure. They actually did something COOL about it. Instead of the red strap parts being part of the torso mold they put indentions in the torso and then molded the strap parts in a softer plastic to add on later. What's so great about this is it gives more depth to the figure and no paint slops along the edges of the straps. Wish there was more to do with him though, you can't really put him in a menacing pose because he has a calm face sculpt.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-31-2004, 08:15 PM
My son's been after me about getting the scuba-diving Batman, so I broke down and got it for him, but he'll have to wait until his birthday in Sept., or some other reason. Like plasticfetish said, the gimmicks are pretty goofy, but the figure is nicely made. Also, in terms of gimmicks, Batman with underwater swingear is a lot less stupid than many of the others, and it looks much better than all the Animated Series gimmick Batmans.

RooJay
08-04-2004, 08:07 PM
I wonder if Superman is ever driving his motorcycle through traffic thinking to himself, "boy, I sure wish I didn't have this motorcycle with me!" Wonder if he bothers to pay bridge toll for that thing! :D
Does he spend much money on gas for it?! Maybe he just pushes it along without turning it on...

RooJay
08-11-2004, 12:24 AM
Finally found the 10" Wonder Woman this morning at TRU. She does indeed exist!

Today was just a good day for toy hunting in general - not only did I manage to pick up Wondy, but I also saw both of the new LOTR giftsets - Coronation and Gates of Mordor, VOTC Luke and Yoda, The Batman Batcave and a bunch of other stuff I didn't have any money for that I can't remember right now! Wish I wasn't so broke! :cry: