PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

scruffziller
06-08-2004, 11:19 AM
I know this is real early but I wanted to post this news here.
It seems that a two-and-a-half-hour version of Goblet of Fire isn't enough for some Potter fans. More than 1,200 of them have signed a petition to Warner Bros. demanding a movie that's between three and a half and four hours long, so as to not leave out a single plot twist. Wizard News reports that a four-hour flick, with an intermission, could happen. (Jeannette Walls' The Scoop)

aceguide
06-10-2004, 08:22 AM
Have they started shooting it yet?

Exhaust Port
06-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Yes. During a recent news story about the success of POA they mentioned that the cast took a break from shooting to be at the premier.

I wouldn't mind a 3-4 hour movie. Long movies aren't the norm but they aren't also unheard of. Look how long the LOTR movies and they were successful. If nothing else, they should shoot the scenes, edit some of them out to reduce the movie run time BUT include them in the DVD release.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Yeah, it started shooting March 19th. I wouldn't mind it being very long, but putting an intermission in it somewhere would be beyond dumb. I mean, if by some chance, it would stretch over the 4 hour mark, they could go "kill bill" style and release it in parts. Of course, they shoudln't wait the half year, but more like 2 weeks. It would be good as:
1. The movie wouldn't drag, for sure. I'm not saying it would, but it being long it would risk it.
2. You're GUARANTEEING business for the second volume. People go see the first installment and then they have to see part two. It'd be very good, profit wise, for WB to go this route.

I think they'll play their cards right. HP has been great to them and they won't want to screw it up. cheers! :D

Exhaust Port
06-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Is there a tenative release date for GOF yet? I was wondering how much of a wait we'll have for each installment from here on out.

aceguide
06-10-2004, 01:19 PM
I have a great tollerence for a long movie - but their prime market of kids does not. I cannot imagine 4 hours with my 7 year old.

I like the LOTR/Peter Jackson model of shooting the "ideal" movie and releasing it on DVD. Earlier I mentioned how well I thought they edited the story on POA, and I think the same could be accomplished with Goblet.

Exhaust Port
06-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Is there any word that there is additional footage for POA that we can look forward to showing up on DVD?

scruffziller
06-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Is there a tenative release date for GOF yet? I was wondering how much of a wait we'll have for each installment from here on out.
November 18, 2005.

El Chuxter
06-10-2004, 02:09 PM
This is a guess, but I think the Quidditch championships at the beginning could be trimmed quite a bit to save about 30 minutes of screen time. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Is there any word that there is additional footage for POA that we can look forward to showing up on DVD?
No. I read in Entertainment Weekly with Daniel Radcliffe on the cover that they intentionally left a lot out so the movie could be more focused around the problem, I guess. They also said (thank God) that the Marauder's Map creators/animagus deal will be explained in a future movie.

And Chux, yeah. I'm reading it right now, and I'm trying to think what they can cut. The Veela and Leprechauns, I bet, won't be in it so long, and I doubt we'll see inside their tents. Also, one of Viktor Krum's Wronski Feints can be cut. Similar to how the game started in the middle in COS to save time.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-05-2004, 11:52 AM
sweet sweet sweet!!!!!!!!! I'm giddy to report to SSG that Ralph Fiennes has been cast as "He who shall not be named" in "Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire." This is an AWESOME casting job.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/ap/20040804/109167882000.html

jjreason
08-05-2004, 01:29 PM
That is brilliant. Should be interesting to see how they choose to show him on screen - CG or real - as he's not really "incorporated" for the first 99% of the book. I also think that with careful manipulation this can be a successful 2.5hr movie, complete with "Scooby Doo" style ending. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-05-2004, 05:25 PM
I don't know about Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort, but Clemence Poesy looks like a great Fleur. D-d-d-d-damn I'll take one of those! :crazed:

r2dee2
08-16-2004, 04:35 PM
BTW, the door is now open at the JKRowling site with clues to the next book. It may only stay open for a few days, so if you're interested, don't delay. :)

http://www.jkrowling.com/en/thankyou.cfm

PS, I assume this is the best place to post this?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-17-2004, 02:30 PM
I can't get through the door anymore, nor could I ever. What were the clues? (BTW, I think this would be better in the Books section).

Exhaust Port
08-17-2004, 02:56 PM
I found a door and opened it but there is nothing on the other side. Am I missing something?

r2dee2
08-17-2004, 04:19 PM
I looked over in books and didn't know if "non" Star Wars was supposed to be in there? When I saw the Harry Potter in "Other" I felt at least it would be in the right general area. If any moderator wishes to move this, then let us know WHERE you move it :)

There are varying problems getting in the door. I couldn't get in with Mozilla, but read that if you couldn't get in at the jkrowling.com site, you could go to the jkrowling.net site and probably get the door to open. This worked for me. In other words, instead of going to the .com site, go to the .net site.

Once the door is open you have to click all around in the dark to find a light switch. You then play darts, open a safe and get a piece of paper that gives you a clue of who the Half Blood Prince is.

You can find a lot of clues at the Leaky Cauldron.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Still can't get through or do anything, don't know where the Leaky Cauldron is, I need help! What does it say about the half-blood prince???

r2dee2
08-18-2004, 01:03 PM
If you look around these pages, you'll find clues on how to get into the door, as well as the final message.

Leaky Cauldron (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/)

Mugglenet (http://www.mugglenet.com/)

How to open the door (http://www.mugglenet.com/jkrcom/jkrcomdooropen.shtml)

Shows , using pics, how to get into the door.
Harry Potter Adults (http://www.harrypotteradults.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6)

SPOILER

HERE IS THE CLUE! DON'T GO FURTHER UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW!

He looked rather like an old lion. There were streaks of grey in his mane of tawny hair and his bushy eyebrows; he had keen yellowish eyes behind a pair of wire-rimmed spectacles and a certain rangy, loping grace even though he walked with a slight limp.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks! So maybe it will be a new character after all. Those pics on the Harry Loves Hermione site look sweet!

Imperial Monarche
08-27-2004, 09:45 AM
From some of the rumors I've heard, our "new character" mentioned in the clipping may be a twist on an old character. Can anybody guess who? I know.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-15-2005, 06:48 PM
November 18 is the date of release, but does anyone know when the trailer will come out? I got excited for this again after seeing a short column and picture (link below) in Entertainment Weekly.

http://imdb.com/gallery/ss/0330373/HP4D-0329.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0330373

Those dress robes are killer. :D

With all the SW stuff this spring, plus the Half-Blood Prince on July 16 and Goblet of Fire on November 18, it looks like a great year for nerds. :D

General_Grievous
01-30-2005, 03:06 PM
JabbaJohn, usually the trailers for the Harry Potter movies are attached to other Warner Bros. movies.

I'd imagine we'll see the first trailer in May or June. I am about 60% positive that a trailer for Goblet of Fire will be attached to "Batman Begins", which opens in mid-June. But who knows? They may just decide to show it with "Revenge of the Sith". But we'll definitely see a trailer late-spring to early-summer. :)

BTW, does anyone else think that Harry Potter's haircut in GOF (see JJL's avatar) looks very similar to Anakin's in Revenge of the Sith?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-30-2005, 05:38 PM
JabbaJohn, usually the trailers for the Harry Potter movies are attached to other Warner Bros. movies.

I'd imagine we'll see the first trailer in May or June. I am about 60% positive that a trailer for Goblet of Fire will be attached to "Batman Begins", which opens in mid-June. But who knows? They may just decide to show it with "Revenge of the Sith". But we'll definitely see a trailer late-spring to early-summer. :)

BTW, does anyone else think that Harry Potter's haircut in GOF (see JJL's avatar) looks very similar to Anakin's in Revenge of the Sith?
I think it's a little short, but it is similar to Anakin's. It's also the same haircut I have. :D

scruffziller
05-14-2005, 02:48 PM
It appears that it will be 150 minutes long. 2 1/2 hours. The movie looks awesome. Also it looks like ORDER OF THE PHOENIX isn't out till 2007 and HALF-BLOOD PRINCE only a year later, 2008. :ermm:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-03-2005, 11:00 AM
MASSIVE amount of pictures up!!!

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/MTarchives/week_2005_07_31.php#007404

This movie looks VERY promising and reviews popped up from a test screening in the Windy City a few weeks back and it's getting fantastic reviews. I'm lovin' Mad Eye Moody. Is there NOTHING Brendan Gleeson can't do?!?! I mean, seriously. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-03-2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the pics!

I hate that stupid thing holding in Mad-Eye's eye.
Barty Crouch: striking resemblance to Adolf Hitler. :D
Cho is kind of pretty, but she's not as great as the book says. Same thing with Fleur.
Why'd they separate the House tables in the Great Hall?
Sweet, they kept in the penseive scene!
Apparently Seamus and Dean didn't get the memo about Griffindor boys and long hair. :D

imdb.com has some more pics, most of which appeared in Entertainment Weekly. Unfortunately they messed up on the Riddle grave, with the names Thomas Riddle, Mary Riddle, and Tom Marvolo Riddle on it, all dead in 1943. No, it wasn't Tom Jr. dead with his parents in the book but Tom Sr. and his. I actually didn't get that until reading HBP, and apparently the filmmakers didn't either . . . Hopefully they can fix this before it comes out!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-27-2005, 12:34 PM
The Leaky Cauldron posted the theatrical trailer, and I must say, this looks damn cool. They even had a quick shot of Harry falling into the Penseive! I thought for sure they'd cut that part. Interesting how they're not mentioning that Voldemort comes back, for, I guess, people who haven't read the book yet.

General_Grievous
08-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Yes, I agree. It looks really good. The music is awesome as well. The Yule Ball looks exactly as I imagined it.

DarkArtist
09-08-2005, 03:11 PM
i'm looking forward to this my fiance and I are big Harry potter fans as having read every book at the midnight releases. We are thinking of see this on the IMAX screen in AC.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Full Theatrical Trailer is now UP! http://pdl.stream.aol.com/aol/us/moviefone/movies/2005/harrypotterandthegobletoffire_019563/harrypotterandthegobletoffire_trlr_02_fugfvv_dl.mo v

Looks great and yes we see some of the Dark Lord himself, Voldemort. I've attached a pic of him in case you miss him in the trailer as its pretty fast. Looks great though; i took the entire shot and just cropped everything out minus him. It looks great! The dancing scene with Ron and McGonogal was great and I laughed my arse off when Harry spits up on himself.

kool-aid killer
09-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Im staying spoiler free!!! Ive yet to read any of the books and i really dont want to know whats going to happen in this one. Im not even going to watch the trailer, unless of course its shown when i go to see another movie. But im really excited about this movie, Harry Potter has been a personal sleeper movie series for me. Probably the only other movie (aside from King Kong) that i MUST see at the theater.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Holy butts! I'm glad Voldemort still looks weird - he appears similar to how he looks in SS (but hopefully he'll move better). So is he CG with Ralph Fienne's voice, or did they just make-up Ralph extensively?

I haven't yet seen the new trailer, I might actually wait until I see Corpse Bride in a few weeks.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-26-2005, 05:27 PM
I actually didn't wait to see it, and I watched it online multiple times. Don't know why I didn't mention it before now.

Anyway, this looks fantastic! Everything looks great, except for Sirius' face in the coals of the fire . . . WTF is up with that? I thought that his head would appear in the fire, similar to Floo travel in COS, not like this crap. It just looks stupid.

Who's that next to the snake? I can't tell. I assume the snake is Nagini, but the guy doesn't look like anyone I know.

Oh, BTW, the Leaky Cauldron has tons of pics from the new calendar, including Karkaroff in the trial, Cedric laying in the graveyard, and all sorts of good stuff.

darthvyn
10-20-2005, 01:06 PM
mad-eye moody doesn't look disfigured enough... but other than that, the trailer looks really good! i saw corpse bride and had no idea that it was attached to it, so mrs. darthvyn was really excited. she's been reading the books forever. i finished this book a couple of months ago...

jonthejedi
10-24-2005, 04:14 AM
I just saw the trailer yesterday on Coming Attractions(E!), and it does look awesome. I hope they get the next two rolling quickly, so they can keep the same cast.

darthvyn
10-24-2005, 06:41 AM
yeah, they are looking pretty old at this point. ron has not grown up too well...

El Chuxter
10-24-2005, 11:13 AM
But I think Hermione has aged nicely enough to make up for Ron looking like a Flornbi.

I hope in a few years she can star alongside Jennifer Connelley, Keira Knightley, and Laura Prepon in a film about bikini-clad ninja agents who must rescue a bunch of panda bears from Al Qaeda otters from the rings of Saturn who want to force them to work in their phone centers. :kiss:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-25-2005, 08:57 PM
http://www.mugglenet.com/goffilmoverview.shtml

Here's a full synopsos of the film, with changes. Sounds good (mostly), but I hate how the got rid of Dobby, Winky, Bagman, and the inside of the tent (they even made the set!). Hopefully it won't be too obvious in the film that Moody is really Crouch Jr. It also seems stupid to have Crouch Jr. with Voldemort and Wormtail at the beginning, but whatever.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Hopefully it won't be too obvious in the film that Moody is really Crouch Jr. It also seems stupid to have Crouch Jr. with Voldemort and Wormtail at the beginning, but whatever.

Thanks for the spoiler! :upset: Please let the rest of us know before you post anymore.

darthvyn
10-27-2005, 02:04 PM
But I think Hermione has aged nicely enough to make up for Ron looking like a Flornbi.

I hope in a few years she can star alongside Jennifer Connelley, Keira Knightley, and Laura Prepon in a film about bikini-clad ninja agents who must rescue a bunch of panda bears from Al Qaeda otters from the rings of Saturn who want to force them to work in their phone centers. :kiss:

where'd you get the draft for my screenplay???

flornbi... hahaha!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Is it really a spoiler? The book's been out for five years. Oh well, I suppose I'll warn next time there's a "spoiler" . . .

Mandalorian Candidat
10-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Is it really a spoiler? The book's been out for five years. Oh well, I suppose I'll warn next time there's a "spoiler" . . .

Not everyone has had the time to read every book out there. Thanks for understanding.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Not everyone has had the time to read every book out there. Thanks for understanding.
Sorry . . . but shouldn't there be some kind of statute of limitations on spoilers?

General_Grievous
11-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Oh my god...I saw this movie last night and I'm going again today. This movie rivals ROTS, I loved it so much. It beats the hell out of the first three Potter movies. I don't even know where to begin. Let me start with the acting...totally improved by 100% from Dan Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint. There is lot of humor within the first hour and a half of the movie. Especially from Ron and Hermione arguing like an old married couple. Brendan Gleeson is great in every movie he's in, and he was a great choice for Mad Eye Moody. Cedric Diggory is a really likable guy, as in the book. If you've read the book, you know what's in for him, and it's heartbreaking in the movie. The film doesn't get really dark until the maze scene that transcends into the grave yard. It is in this scene alone that we see why the movie was rated PG-13. Ralph Fiennes is a bad***. No question about it. The man is Voldemort. The only way they could get an even bigger bad*** to play him is if they got Mickey Rourke or Samuel L. Jackson to play Voldemort. But seriously, the scene at the graveyard is directly from the book. And it plays out with out a hitch. But leave young kids at home. They will not like the graveyard scene. I'd say 7 or 8 is the youngest age kids should see this. Just as a warning, but if your kid is younger and knows the difference between real and "make believe", by all means, take him/her. Now I'm going to end on a high note. This is one of 2005's best and I would highly recommend it.

El Chuxter
11-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Oh my god...I saw this movie last night and I'm going again today. This movie rivals ROTS, I loved it so much.

Well, we know the source material is stronger. ;)

Book IV of an excellent series by J K Rowling. . . the semi-incoherent babbling of a madman. . . . Yeah, it makes sense Harry Potter would have a better story.

General_Grievous
11-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Where is everybody? JJL, I know you saw it. What's your take on it?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Where is everybody? JJL, I know you saw it. What's your take on it?
Dammit, I wish! My family and I are waiting for my sister from NY to come back home to CO for Thanksgiving, and we're going Wednesday with her. I can't wait, though!

How were the changes/omissions from the book?

It is in this scene alone that we see why the movie was rated PG-13. Ralph Fiennes is a bad***. No question about it.
Why is bad*** not caught by the sensor but plain ol' *** still is?

James Boba Fettfield
11-19-2005, 07:35 PM
I guess the real person censor will have to take care of that.

CaptainSolo1138
11-19-2005, 07:44 PM
I loved it!!! I thought it was better than the first three combined (I fell asleep during "Prisoner..."). I wish they woulda showed more of the Quidditch Cup (what got me interested in HP to begin with), but what they did show was awesome! I never read GOF, so this was all new to me. My wife tells me some parts were kinda liberal, but she assumed it would be such since it'd've been hard to cram all of the little details in (something about Hermione and SPEW, which only caught my attention for the wrong reason).

Am I the only person who liked Viktor Crum?

plasticfetish
11-19-2005, 09:34 PM
We saw it last night, had a family night out at the movies. I'll agree that this was easily the best HP film yet. I didn't read the book for this one, so I'm just looking at it as a stand-alone film. It was tightly edited, the acting was great all around, it looked fabulous, and though it had a nice mix of heavy and soft moments, it wasn't "corny" at any point. A great film.

My wife, having read the book, was blown away by how perfect Ralph Fiennes was as Voldemort. (He was great.) General_Grievous, your comment about the cemetery scene is really true. My son's 8 and he was right on the edge of being a little freaked out by it... but he handled.

I loved the Mad*Eye Moody character. Don't want to spoil anything for those that haven't seen it yet, but his whole part was handled very well.

Hmmm, anything else? Yeah... I'd have to say that this time I really wasn't left wishing that Richard Harris was still Dumbledore. Michael Gambon did a great job.

Mike Newell was obviously exactly the right director for this film.

-----

I will say one thing... we saw this film on it's opening night at a great, brand new theater with all the best equipment, and I kept noticing subtle print quality problems. This film would look ten times better if it was digital.

darthvyn
11-19-2005, 10:30 PM
The only way they could get an even bigger bad*** to play him is if they got Mickey Rourke or Samuel L. Jackson to play Voldemort.

I guess the real person censor will have to take care of that.
you missed a spot...

so, yeah, this rocked hard... it's shaping up to be a great series of movies, based on an insanely great series of books...

they HAD to omit a lot of the book to fit it into a movie that sill streched past the 2.5 hr. mark... the barty/barty jr. plot was trimmed down EXTREMELY... and the omitted the SPEW/hose elf sub-plot. i'm in the middle of the 5th book right now, and there's even more to that one... they should've gone "kill bill" on this one, and split it into two volumes!

James Boba Fettfield
11-19-2005, 10:39 PM
I knew I should have used the find function.

Damn it.

General_Grievous
11-20-2005, 08:56 AM
How were the changes/omissions from the book?

SPOILERS

Well the major omissions are pretty much as follows:

-Dobby and Winky
-Hermione and SPEW
-The Dursleys
-No Mrs. Weasley, or Percy, Charlie and Bill Weasley.
-No Ludo Bagman
-No creatures in the maze

The changes are that:

-Krum, Fleur and Cedric do a lot less than they did in the book. In fact, Krum only had two lines of dialogue in the movie.
-A Wizard rock band plays at the Yule Ball, added in for comedy. And it works.
-A lot of the Barty Crouch/Barty Crouch Jr. subplot has been trimmed.
-Sirius only shows up in the fireplace.
-Neville, not Dobby, gives Harry the gillyweed
-Not sure if this was in the book, but Crouch Jr does this stupid thing with his tongue
-The Hungarian Horntail escapes from the stadium and chases Harry around the Hogwarts grounds.
-Rita Skeeter is only in a few scenes, but they're good ones.

and this one p***ed me off the most for some reason:

-Voldemort doesn't have red eyes as he does in the book

Overall, I have to say they did a great job adapting a 734 page book into a 2 1/2 hour movie.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-20-2005, 01:37 PM
That sounds pretty good, I guess. The OOTP film is going to have sooooo much cut out, and so will HBP.

-A Wizard rock band plays at the Yule Ball, added in for comedy. And it works.
I thought that there was one in the book as well. I believe they were called the Weird Sisters, and some real-life band called Wyrd Sisters was all up in arms about them being in the film. I remember hearing about the band in the books, but can't remember if they were at the ball or not. But I haven't read it in a few years so I can't be sure.

plasticfetish
11-20-2005, 02:00 PM
I think the Weird Sisters problem had to do with Warner Brothers wanting to change the name of the band to "Wyrd Sisters" for the US release... however that would matter. The other band sued.

BTW, you guys know that the band in the film is made up from members of Pulp and Radiohead right? :)

darthvyn
11-20-2005, 06:25 PM
SPOILERS
-Rita Skeeter is only in a few scenes, but they're good ones.

Overall, I have to say they did a great job adapting a 734 page book into a 2 1/2 hour movie.

they also cut the part about rita being an unregistered animagus and hermione busting her for it...

DarkArtist
11-20-2005, 08:01 PM
I thought the movie was amazing, definatly seeing it again, except on IMAX. I too also hope they hurry up and make the next two. After all I fear that the cast will grow up and look to old to play teenagers. I mean afterall they are already 16 playing 14 year olds.

2-1B
11-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Is Emma Watson 18 yet?

:)

(something about Hermione and SPEW, which only caught my attention for the wrong reason)

I see I'm not the only one...

CaptainSolo1138
11-20-2005, 08:14 PM
And I'm glad I'm not the only one:D

I wish they would have gotten Harry and the Potters to play the band at the Yule Ball. Those fools crack me up.

2-1B
11-20-2005, 08:18 PM
I too also hope they hurry up and make the next two. After all I fear that the cast will grow up and look to old to play teenagers. I mean afterall they are already 16 playing 14 year olds.

Order of the Phoenix is coming in 2007 and I read an interview with the producer who said he likes to keep these on an 18 month production schedule. I don't know if they'll recast the last one ? :confused:

I've only seen the first HP and didn't care much for it. I keep hearing that the films improve from one to the next so maybe I'll check them out some time.

CaptainSolo1138
11-20-2005, 08:21 PM
I've only seen the first HP and didn't care much for it. I keep hearing that the films improve from one to the next so maybe I'll check them out some time.
For sure, Caes. I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan, so I just go with my wife to see a movie. Vieiwing them this way, I can tell you that they do (for the most part) improve.

2-1B
11-20-2005, 08:40 PM
And is she aware of your sinful thoughts re: the youngling ? :confused:

;)

Exhaust Port
11-20-2005, 10:14 PM
I saw the movie Saturday night and loved it. I haven't read the books but have read that quite a bit had to be trimmed from this one to keep the movie around 2.5 hours. It seemed from time to time that a few items were only briefly mentioned while they should have been longer but it still worked for me.

This film seemed to concentrate on character development and introductions. It really spend a lot of time looking at the changes going on within the 3 major characters as they grow older as well as the build up for introducing Voldimort. That's about it. Everything else seemed to take a back seat (Tri-Wizard Tournement for example). If nothing else, it makes me want to see the next movie even more. A lot of set up was done for future events between Hermione and Ron which I look forward too as well as Voldimort finally taking the reigns on the evil side of things.

....I've really got to get around to reading the books....

CaptainSolo1138
11-21-2005, 06:46 AM
And is she aware of your sinful thoughts re: the youngling ? :confused:

;)
Meh. She doesn't care. At least she better not, since I had to hear about how dreamy Cedric Diggerry was.:love:

scruffziller
11-21-2005, 09:17 AM
(Spoiler comment)

I always knew there was more to Lucious Malfoy than met the eye. He just wasn't a plain jerk.

Exhaust Port
11-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Spoiler

I thought it was odd that Harry never took a moment to mention that too anyone when he came back from the graveyard.

scruffziller
11-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Spoiler

I thought it was odd that Harry never took a moment to mention that too anyone when he came back from the graveyard.

Yea, I didn't get that either EP. For those of you who read the book. Did that happen in the book? (Spoiler) Did Harry mention something of Lucious being a disciple of Voldemort.

For alot of folks they may not have been interested in the other movies. This movie has alot of eye and content candy for the more sophiticated viewer. It being PG-13, it certainly delivers. It certainly is a stretch for the younger kids to see.

Anyone have this problem going to the movie theater for Harry Potter. The theater is so full with young kids they can't SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :upset::frus: And it's not them being really loud it's all the little whispers and smaller talks talking to their parents filling your ears. Drives me nuts because the idiotic theater magers try to keep the sound system at an acceptable level.:rolleyes: They did that for ROTS. When the opening marquee comes up I want the sound to part my hair. It left alot to be desired. "CRANK THAT THING!!!!!" My bro said.:D Just once I would have like a little kid to start screaming and crying because Voldemort was too scary.:lipsrseal Rather than all the little whispers combined with crackling candy wrappers wisping softly through the place.:Par:

darthvyn
11-21-2005, 02:19 PM
i can't remember if he says anything about that character at the end of the book or not, but i'm pretty sure voldy didn't unmask the death eaters, he just called them by name...

also, they didn't go into snape and his mission...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-21-2005, 02:30 PM
i can't remember if he says anything about that character at the end of the book or not, but i'm pretty sure voldy didn't unmask the death eaters, he just called them by name...

also, they didn't go into snape and his mission...
Which mission? :confused:

Oh yeah . . . did Karkaroff run off in the film? What about his and Snape's dark mark tattoos?

In the book, I think Harry names the Death Eaters to Fudge, but Fudge kind of shrugs it off since they're all the same ones from 13 years ago.

Speaking of which . . . is Fudge in this film?

Dammit, Wednesday can't get here fast enough. :D

General_Grievous
11-21-2005, 03:15 PM

Oh yeah . . . did Karkaroff run off in the film? What about his and Snape's dark mark tattoos?

In the book, I think Harry names the Death Eaters to Fudge, but Fudge kind of shrugs it off since they're all the same ones from 13 years ago.

Speaking of which . . . is Fudge in this film?

Dammit, Wednesday can't get here fast enough. :D

SPOILERS (kind of):

To answer your questions, we don't see Karkaroff run off in the film, however he is not seen again after the beginning of the third task and we don't see him leaving with the Durmstrang students at the end, so it's implied that he ran off.

We see Karkaroff showing Snape his tattoo after Harry looks in Dumbledore's pensieve, but we don't see Snape's.

And lastly, Fudge is in a few scenes in this film, like at the Quidditch World Cup and at the Third Task. There's also a scene with him, Dumbledore and Moody after Barty Crouch is found dead.

CaptainSolo1138
11-21-2005, 05:11 PM
so it's implied that he ran off.
It was? I never read the book, so I had no idea this was the case. But I never got from the movie that he "ran off".

Exhaust Port
11-21-2005, 06:22 PM
I read online that Karkaroff went into hiding after the Tri-Wizard Tourney in fear of payback for giving up the names of Death Eaters now that Lord V. is back. To be honest I never saw any indication in the movie that he left.

It would seem that the movie didn't wrap up properly. The return of Lord V. was a pretty big deal and would impact everything yet things ended on a normal note. I guess Lord V. will be taking off the summer as well. Who knew that Evil operated on Semesters. ;)

darthvyn
11-21-2005, 08:32 PM

dumbledore tells him to go under-cover...

It would seem that the movie didn't wrap up properly. The return of Lord V. was a pretty big deal and would impact everything yet things ended on a normal note. I guess Lord V. will be taking off the summer as well. Who knew that Evil operated on Semesters. ;)

have you read the next book? i'm half way through it, and he takes off MORE than the summmer...

Exhaust Port
11-21-2005, 10:10 PM
have you read the next book? i'm half way through it, and he takes off MORE than the summmer...

Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend.

So Lord V. takes an extended vacation? :)

No, I haven't read the books (but it's on my list) so I don't know anything other than what's been in the movies.

Any ideas how long we'll have to wait to see this on DVD? 6 months?

Darth Jax
11-24-2005, 12:17 PM
so i read through 8 pages to find out i'm the only one that didn't like the movie. found it to be the worst of them so far. having read the books beforehand really, really made this one far worse. it had such potential.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-24-2005, 01:57 PM
I finally saw it last night and really liked it. However, I didn't like it as much as POA, which had better pacing and visuals. But still very good.

I really didn't like the look of Voldemort, though. His regular face looked stupid with that nose; he should have had smaller ears (or closer to the sides of his head) and creepier eyes and then he would've been perfect, but alas . . .

Also, not showing the Quidditch World Cup was a cop-out. I wouldn't have minded having the film be even five minutes longer if it meant showing the actual game. But the setup was cool, at least. I had read online that the tent's interior had been cut out, but I'm glad it wasn't.

Were there floating muggles being tortured by the Death Eaters at the match? I thought I saw them in the trailer but didn't see them on-screen.

They SERIOUSLY need to bring back John Williams for the music for the rest of these films! All the new guy did was mess up Hedwig's theme and write like three bars of music, which was played over and over throughout the film.

I'm glad it was still very faithful to the book, though, even with all the omissions. I really liked it, as I said, but I like POA better.

General_Grievous
11-25-2005, 10:44 AM
They SERIOUSLY need to bring back John Williams for the music for the rest of these films! All the new guy did was mess up Hedwig's theme and write like three bars of music, which was played over and over throughout the film.

I agree with you partially. John Williams left just as he was getting really good with the POA music. But the new guy isn't all bad. He had some good music in the movie (the first task, the part where Beauxbatons and Durmstrang arrive, etc.) However, I think that they'll get another new guy to compose music for Order of the Phoenix, because I saw on imdb that this guy has composed a lot of music for Mike Newell, and he's not staying on as director for OOTP. Hopefully they can get Howard Shore (Lord of the Rings) to do it. Now that's a guy who knows how to make music.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-26-2005, 07:45 PM
I watched the movie with my kids on Wed. night. They seemed to really like it (11 and 9 years old) but I thought it was meh. My view is that the whole story is based on Harry, Ron, and Hermione and their developing problems as teenagers--mainly relationships with the other gender. The whole Voldemort angle and tournament takes a back seat to them. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it just didn't make the movie that fun.

I started reading the book to my kids, but stopped in the middle before the tournament starts so I missed a lot of details. Normally I would read a book after seeing the movie but I found reading POA first helped the movie to be better since I knew where all the wholes were. Nothing really hit me as being exciting until the graveyard duel--that was great.

I guess I'll go back and read the 4th book again and maybe start on the 5th.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-26-2005, 08:12 PM
I watched the movie with my kids on Wed. night. They seemed to really like it (11 and 9 years old) but I thought it was meh. My view is that the whole story is based on Harry, Ron, and Hermione and their developing problems as teenagers--mainly relationships with the other gender. The whole Voldemort angle and tournament takes a back seat to them. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it just didn't make the movie that fun.

I started reading the book to my kids, but stopped in the middle before the tournament starts so I missed a lot of details. Normally I would read a book after seeing the movie but I found reading POA first helped the movie to be better since I knew where all the wholes were. Nothing really hit me as being exciting until the graveyard duel--that was great.

I guess I'll go back and read the 4th book again and maybe start on the 5th.
Yeah, you definitely need to read the books before seeing the films. The movies are great but the books just have so much more in them. Also, you get so much more out of the movies after having read the books.

El Chuxter
11-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Voldy's got to bide his time before coming back with a major vengeance. Minor spoiler, but that's a large part of Order of the Phoenix: no one believes that he's back, except for Harry, Dumbledore, and a few others.

He comes back full-force in Half Blood Prince, though. Can't wait for that movie.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-27-2005, 10:34 PM
I'm betting the next one will show up in about 18 months time. That seems to be the way things have been shaping up between these movies.

El Chuxter
11-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Saw this yesterday, and wow. Just wow. This was a great film.

It cut out a lot more of the book than Azkaban did, but the cut scenes were better chosen and left less confusion. (Anyone who hasn't read the books figured out the deal with the stag patronus at the end of POA? Anyone?) I could've done with more Fleur ( :beard: :kiss: ), but no complaints.

The graveyard scene is perhaps the most perfect scene from any of the HP films yet. I'll admit that, even knowing exactly what was coming, it was emotionally powerful. No amount of reading can prepare you for actually seeing Cedric asking Harry to take his body back to his father.

My only complaint was the score. Sure, the guy's no Johnny Williams, but it seemed like he didn't try. All the music either faded into the background or seemed poorly placed. I doubt I'll be picking up the soundtrack anytime soon.

CaptainSolo1138
11-29-2005, 06:42 AM
I could've done with more Fleur ( :beard: :kiss: )You didn't get enough at the other site?:D:beard:

Exhaust Port
12-02-2005, 10:10 AM

I finally started to read the HP books and finished the first one this week. I already bought the next 2 in paperback and should start book 2 in a week or so.

I found the writing to be a bit sloppy, does it get better in later books?

DarkArtist
12-02-2005, 10:23 AM
The writing in the first book I thought was childish at first. Then I saw the movie, and yes I saw it before I finished reading the first book, and decided to give the book a second chance.
The later books start to get better and the writing evolves with the story. The last book by far was the best, but predictable. I just hope that the seventh will blow the others away.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-07-2006, 05:43 PM
I got the DVD today at Target with a shiny holographic cover. I like that design about a thousand times better than the regular one . . .

DarkArtist
03-08-2006, 05:37 PM
I just got the 2 disc set today at Target. Haven't had the chance to watch it yet but was ****ed that the 2 disc wasn't widely released out here. Yesterday I went to 5 stores and only saw the one disc version and picked it up thinking that perhaps everything would fit on the one disc. Oh well I guess I can give that version to my brother.

BanthaPoodoo
03-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Thats about like me! I got to Wal-Mart on Wednesday & got the Wal-Mart exclusive Widescreen Edition with the special Scene-it HP DVD.... well I read on CNN today where there are 2-discs. I'm like, mine only had one! So I go to walmart.com & see they have the Widescreen Edition & the Widescreen Special Edition.... what's up with that????

There should be a law about having all these different kinds of versions of the same movie... it's like George Lucas had a hand in it or something.... so now I am gonna go back & get the 2-disc version to match the rest in the set... (well except the first two, those came in boxes, the last ones came in crappy plastic keep cases)

El Chuxter
03-10-2006, 02:04 PM
This is becoming more of a problem lately. The same situation happened with Batman Begins and Walk the Line. Worst of all, the 1-disc version retails for what the 2-disc should, and the 2-disc version is $10 more. :mad: