PDA

View Full Version : OTC or Drought-Season. What do you do to pass the time?

Silent Chazz
06-09-2004, 08:26 PM
With OTC coming up it seems a lot of people are gonna skip out on it. I was wondering what you all do either during a Drought Season when theres like little to no new product on the store shelves all over your area or what you are gonna do when OTC released.

Myself I fall under the Drought Season category. There hasnt been a single NEW figure in my Wal-Mart since the Hoth Wave hit my Wal-Mart the last week of December 2003. Since then like in January sometime they put more figures out on the shelves, but it was all 2002 Saga CRAP. Nothing but Bespin Lukes, Bespin Vaders, Cloud City Chewies, Crap-pants-faced Mace, and other 2002 crap. So, since I rarely get to go to Amarillo, TX two hours from where I live where there IS new stuff (picked up Hall of Fame Luke, Jabba's Palace Luke, Jabba's Palace Hologram Luke, and Bar2-D2 3 weeks ago while there) I cant buy SW figs out here because out of those 2002 figures, I already own them all.

So that brings me to what I have begun to do while waiting out this drought season as I dont see my Wal-Mart clearancing those 2002 pieces of crap until September to make space for OTC and then clearance all the pegwarmers from the OTC in March of '05 to make way for April's Ep3 stuff. I've decided to take up a game I wanted to play since 2 years ago. A game called HeroClix. I'm sure some of you have heard of it. If not, if u've heard of Mage Knight, its like that but with Marvel, or DC Comics characters instead of the MK monsters and demons and whatnot. So thats what Im doing until my Wal-Mart gets new stuff in. Lets here some stories from you all.

P.S. I put this here because it sorta talks about what those who arent getting OTC, what they're spending there money on. If this kind of thread has a better spot in a different Forum, feel free to move this, mods.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-09-2004, 09:06 PM
There's enough OTC stuff that I will be picking up, such as the Dagobah and Bespin waves, but otherwise I'm passing up most of it. I finally found General madine today, so I'm sufficiently caught up to the point where I can pay a little extra, even if it is merely for postage, to pick up some of the lesser figures I missed such as The Emperor, Red ARC Trooper, and even lame Droid Factory Flight R2 (the hell of being a completist), as well as high price figures like J'Quille.

Otherwise, I generally use those periods where no new SW figures are to be found to catch up with my collection of monster movie toys, DVD box sets, and other stuff.

Silent Chazz
06-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Oops, I saw what you wrote and I forgot to add what I also buy during Droughts. I'm a big Anime fan so I buy as many Anime DVDs as I can of my favorite shows during these periods. Just bought up, 4 Yu Yu Hakusho DVDs this past Monday because the only SW Figure I could find that I didnt own was at a store in the mall, and it was a POTJ Lando Calrissian and it was only $3!!! (Im really digging this Lando because that cape is awesome. I wish the VOTC cape looked this cool).

Kidhuman
06-10-2004, 12:04 AM
I havent really had a drought this year yet. Every few weeks I seem to find stuff I need. The last drought, the "Great 2003" drought fromJanuary to September, I basically saved money. I wasnt working at the time, so it didnt bother me none. I am pretty much caught up, just need the Endor wave. I have preordered some of the OTC stuff, so I am good on them for awhile as well.

During a 3 week spell this year I got into SW Lego's that WM was clearancing out.

dindae
06-10-2004, 07:31 AM
I usually work on getting caught up on Legos and CCG/TCG since I tend to get behind on those. But since I'm a completist this isn't one of those times for me. Silent Chazz are you going to get into the Star Wars "Heroclix"?

aceguide
06-10-2004, 07:54 AM
While there are a few repacks in the OTC I definitely am looking forward to a lot of figs, and vehicles (FALCON! :D ). Either way finding new figs in my area has been very hit or miss. I seem to find one lonesome figure from a wave pretty regularly, but never a complete wave. Dutch was all my his lonesome on a peg with the Hall of Fame garbage.

The new Luke, Han, OB1, Leah, as well as the Degobah and Bespin waves makes OTC a welcome line for me!

Old Fossil
06-10-2004, 10:13 AM
I've been passing the time trying to find the Star Destroyer and Endor waves at retail. Seems every time I order new figures online, I find the same ones several days later on the pegs at a nearby store, so I'm holding out on ordering those a little while longer; plus, it gives me something to look for when I buy groceries at WM. The only figures I've bought in the last month were 3 HOF Stormtroopers, and Boba Fett Unleashed. I got caught up on all the Ultra figures I wanted some time ago -- Rieekan, Jabba, and the Ewok w/glider.

Over the past year I've been fleshing out the gaps in a coin collection I've had since I was in my teens (mid- to late '80s), and have only one or two more to find on Ebay before I can consider it 'finished.' Hopefully that will be about the time the OTC waves start hitting full force, and I can turn my 'hobby budget' towards that.

Silent Chazz
06-10-2004, 10:40 AM
I usually work on getting caught up on Legos and CCG/TCG since I tend to get behind on those. But since I'm a completist this isn't one of those times for me. Silent Chazz are you going to get into the Star Wars "Heroclix"?

I'm not sure yet. It all depends on whether my brothers will play it or not. Since it deals with stat cards instead of "Clix" they might be interested because they LOVE the Star Wars Epic Duels board game, and thats what the new SW Miniatures game is sorta looking like right now.

jedi master sal
06-10-2004, 12:53 PM
I buy the odd army building set here and there like the clone three packs. Also, shop on eBay for some older SW stuff, like magazines, loose vintage figs and playsets.

Also, I've been designing some dioramas for awhile so this give me time to actually sit down at my computer at home and create backgrounds or floor designs like the carbon freezing chamber or Jedi council floor. Sure I know they have been done and are readily available at any number of websites, but I want to do ones that are more acurate and complete.

I also look for clearance items. I just bought 4 more C-3PO/Red Battle droid deluxe sets at KB's for relatively cheap ($4 each). I keep the red battle droid, treadmill base and crane and give away the 3PO's.

Another thing I've been doing a little at a time and will now have much more time for is completing the database of my collection. I have nearly 40-30gallon tubs and 4-55gallon tubs full of my open stuff, then there's all of the carded/boxed stuff besides that.

I'm about half way through it.

Basically this slow time has given me a breath to actually appreciate the large collection I've amassed over the years. For years, it's just been about buying, then displaying and since last year storing my stuff. Now, I'll have the time to see what all I have and think about how I want to display it eventually.

Also, this has given me time to look for a new house. (My collection has outgrown my meager 2 bedroom apartment.)

-Sal

B'Omarr Monkey
06-10-2004, 03:18 PM
Seems every time I order new figures online, I find the same ones several days later on the pegs at a nearby store, so I'm holding out on ordering those a little while longer.

This same thing happens to me all the time as well. This is why I haven't gone for J'Quille on ebay---yet.

El Chuxter
06-10-2004, 04:41 PM
I save money so I can get a big house someday to display everything. That or buy CDs and DVDs. Normally the latter.

It's been especially nice on the wallet lately since, though I've found some new stuff, it's been pretty spread out rather than one huge find. Marvel Legends is sorta on hiatus for a while, the GIJoe vs Cobra line is pretty much dead, Transformers Alternators put out very few new figures, I've got most of the LOTR figures I'd want, MOTU is kaput and Batman's on its way, and the new Harry Potter figures suck so bad that I consider that line dead, too. Yup, just SW here recently. :)