PDA

View Full Version : hey emperor jargo,

derek
12-17-2001, 06:26 PM
in the sunday paper here in the states, there was a quote form madonna, who now resides in england and is remodeling her home, about the work ethics of british folk. she basically said they are lazy, don't start working on mondays until noon and knock off at noon on friday. she also was complaining about all the bank holidays and government mandated 4 week vacations.

is this true? or is she just running her mouth?

LTBasker
12-17-2001, 07:12 PM
It's Madonna, theres your explanation right there. :p

Jargo
12-17-2001, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by derek
in the sunday paper here in the states, there was a quote form madonna, who now resides in england and is remodeling her home, about the work ethics of british folk. she basically said they are lazy, don't start working on mondays until noon and knock off at noon on friday. she also was complaining about all the bank holidays and government mandated 4 week vacations.

is this true? or is she just running her mouth?

HEEHEEHEE! :D

I'm afraid it's mostly tue of the lower classes. The upper classes all have jobs as executives and therefore don't do any work whatsoever. They just cream off the profits in large bonuses they award each other.
The midle classes are terrified that someone might catch them not working and their credibility and coolness might be compromised so they work their tails off all the time.

We do seem to have a lot of bank holidays but not as many public holidays as you guys in the states have by all accounts. I know it varies from state to state over there but you seem to have a public holiday to commemorate every person who ever did anything even remotely interesting and plenty of wierd ones created by greeting card companies. Grandmothers day? Mothers day? Halloween?(the current version not the pagan ritual). We generally only celebrate saints days and that's just one for each of the four countries that make up the UK - Patrick, David, George and Andrew. The catholics have holidays all the time with a day for every saint. Welll that's what it feels like. :p

Traditionally the week starts at 8 on a monday morning and finishes at five on a friday afternoon but in reality with the drinking laws being so stringent, people tend to binge all weekend and are so hungover come monday that nothing gets done before noon. Friday, people make any excuse to get off work early so they can go and either start drinking early or get ready for the night of drinking.
Before Unions were outlawed by Margeret Thatcher things were worse. We were plagued by strikes and union stoppages on work because of pay or workers rights or whatever other excuse they could think of for halting work and demanding more money from bosses. Now we have poor working conditions and fifty percent of our workforce are installed as tele-operatives in call centers. We aren't a happy nation so it's understandable that people might just want to sneak off for a little while every now and then. But the worst offenders are the tradesmen like plumbers and electricians and BUILDERS! I have personal experience of those and once underwent a harrowing ordeal for fiften months as a team of cowboy builders renovated the multi occupancy building I lived in. Sadly bogus builders are the norm here.
Anyway, yes. People here can be lazy if you choose to view them that way. I don't know what Madonna is complaining about though. She chose to live here when Guy Ritchie gave her the ultimatum of go or stay and accept the life. If this is how Madonna feels about the UK then I don't hold out much hope for that particular marriage.

Government mandated 4 week vacations is not something I know much of. Different employers have different set ups and work the system completely differently to the way the government likes it to run. I've known some employers to disallow any holidays when they thought they could get away with it. Small employers are less inclined to allow such a large holiday as it no doubt means the death of their business. Larger companies tend to allow two weeks for a summer vacation and then odd days here and there. Factories close up for the summer so as not to over produce goods. One of the major industries that still exists after the Thatcher recession and boom period is the motor industry. But that is slowly dying now. Anyway, they close up the factories for the summer and maybe this is what Madge is waffling on about. Workmen tarting up her lickle bitty house are no doubt taking the **** because she is rich and they are taking advantage of that fact to spin the job out and make some money off her.

But what would I know eh? I'm just your average joe trained to work in a profession with 97 percent unemployment of the workforce and no holidays just 'rest' periods and occasional short term jobs. I'm not really qualified to quantify the British work ethic. As an actor I'm paid to stand around for hours waiting for my go in the spotlight.

Hope this helps Derek. :D

derek
12-17-2001, 07:33 PM
thank ya sir.:)

Emperor Howdy
12-17-2001, 11:46 PM
....well........what's a butter pie?

JediTricks
12-18-2001, 02:18 AM
Here in the US, most of those little holidays don't get anybody off of work. Mayor Bill's birthday might be a city holiday, but even Mayor Bill has to go in to work. ;)

Butter Pie, you take one pie crust, fill it with rich, creamery butter, then cover with 2nd pie crust. :crazed: I dunno...

Rollo Tomassi
12-18-2001, 07:27 AM
Why would Madonna give a rat's patootie when anyone gets to or leaves from work? Or how many weeks of vacation they take? Why would anyone? As for holidays, any place I've worked only closed for the day on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then only Christmas. Now I work at a movie theatre and I have to be to work at 2:30 on Christmas. So somebody works everyday of the year. The only people who get special days off are govt employees like those little monkeys at the post office who get every Sunday off anyway. C'mon...is sorting and delivering mail sooooooo stressful(not counting that Anthrax thing) that you need a day off every week?

El Chuxter
12-18-2001, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Butter Pie, you take one pie crust, fill it with rich, creamery butter, then cover with 2nd pie crust. :crazed: I dunno...

You left off the fried egg and bacon, JT. :p

Starfig873
12-18-2001, 10:58 AM
Huh. Learn something new everyday at the ol' SSG dontcha? :D

derek
12-18-2001, 04:05 PM
her statements were in the context of the people remodeling her house. i guess they didn't work hard enough in her opinion and demanded too much time off.

Wolfwood319
12-18-2001, 04:53 PM
As opposed to all the long hours she puts in at the office?

Gimme a break. I'm not a violent person but I really wouldn't mind if she was hit by a large moving object.

Doesn't she talk with a British accent now, too?

Jargo
12-18-2001, 05:07 PM
She's suffering from a transitional transatlantic transference tremor as the doctors like to say :) I say she thinks she's lady of the manor and needs a good spanking to bring her down a peg or two :Pirate: :D Bad Jargo naughty Jargo WOOF WOOF!!!!!:crazed::evil::p:dead:

Obi-Don
12-19-2001, 08:33 AM
I think she has spent toooo much time in her material world.:D :crazed:

2-1B
08-31-2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks

But then would you actually bake it? :eek:
I'm trying to figure out what's worse - a non-cooked pie crust with creamy butter inside, or a baked pie with a nice crust - only the butter inside is all runny and melted . . . :dead:

Hmm, what dips well with melted butter? :confused:

rynobot
08-31-2002, 03:13 AM
whatever ;) Jargo is cool cause he is always right, :)

GREEN HULK
08-31-2002, 04:04 AM
BAAAAH!!!! HULK WANT TO SMASH IMMACULATE COLLECTION! HULK NOT LOVE MADONNA - NOT ALL OF MADONNA ANYWAY - WHAT SHE KNOW OF HARD WORK? SMASHING HARD WORK!!!!!!

rynobot
08-31-2002, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by GREEN HULK
BAAAAH!!!! HULK WANT TO SMASH IMMACULATE COLLECTION! HULK NOT LOVE MADONNA - NOT ALL OF MADONNA ANYWAY - WHAT SHE KNOW OF HARD WORK? SMASHING HARD WORK!!!!!!

Please, no hurt, no hurt. :)