PDA

View Full Version : Your major accomplishments in life

Bel-Cam Jos
06-12-2004, 08:27 AM
This has been done before, but I don't think so since the new Forums changeover. What have you done that's been notable, interesting, challenging, or special? Don't make this a laundry list; rule is: only one accomplishment at a time. Since I started this here thread, I'll go first.

Over a three month period ten years ago, I drove almost 17,000 miles across the U.S. just seeing what other places are like in my own country. I met normal, everyday people and talked with them (artists, parents, homeless vets, kids, college students, spouses of rodeo riders, employees, fellow travellers, foreign tourists, broke gamblers, etc.). I slept in motels, campgrounds, and occasionally my car. I saw national landmarks and parks, local culture, good and bad drivers, fast food and mom-and-pop restaurants. Lots and lots of etc. I was fabulous.

Others?

Kidhuman
06-12-2004, 08:43 AM
I woke up this morning.

InsaneJediGirl
06-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Still being slightly younger than some here,Mines going to have to be school related ;)

In 9th Grade I recieved 2nd place in the High School Science Fair with my conversial project,"How Does Temperture Effect Field Crickets".Basically,I stuck the little buggers in three groups(Control,cold,heat).Quite a fun project,especially when Mom opened the freezer door to find a jar of crickets :D All in the name of science ;)

CaptainSolo1138
06-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Though I'm relatively young and haven't gotten my college degree yet, I'd have to say my greatest accomplishment thus far is getting engaged to my best friend, Colette. I'll update this on September 18th when we get married, as that will be my greatest accomplishment. Finding the potato chip that looked like Jaime Farr ranks a close second though :D

LusiferSam
06-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Earning the rank of Eagle Scout.

stillakid
06-12-2004, 08:57 PM
I drove across the country, and knowing no one, I managed to break into the film industry.

...to be continued.

Bobby Fett
06-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Getting my Civil Air Patrol Certificate of Proficiency way back in high school.

Rocketboy
06-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Like my unofficial brother CaptainSolo1138, I would also say that my greatest accomplishment would be finding and getting engaged to my soul mate, Sarah. I'd be lost without her. Through the good, the bad, and everything in between, I realize more and more everyday that she's the one and only.
May 7, 2005.

sith_killer_99
06-12-2004, 10:56 PM
I drove across the country, and knowing no one, I managed to break into the film industry.

Breaking and Entering is a Felony. ;)

As for my personal accomplishment, I would have to say graduating Basic Training. There have been others in my military career, but it all started there. For me, it was a bigger accomplishment than graduating from High School. It took less time but required a much bigger commitment. It was a defining moment in my life that led to many other great things, like meeting my wife and getting married on the North Shore in Hawaii :D

Turbowars
06-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Other than becoming a Master Carpenter, I guess nothing really. If I ever have a child of my own, that will be my most prized accomplishment.

stillakid
06-13-2004, 12:05 AM
If I ever have a child of my own, that will be my most prized accomplishment.

A man having a child? That would be an accomplishment! :eek:

;)

Old Fossil
06-13-2004, 12:28 AM
I got my student pilot's license and soloed when I was 16, before I got my regular driver's license. I'll never forget bouncing that 1957 Piper Tri-Pacer not once, but twice off the runway, finally managing to land the damned thing on the third try. Finding the stall speed and letting it happen at just the right moment was a tricky thing.

That was the first cool 'event,' but not the most important one in my life.

Dr Zoltar
06-13-2004, 10:26 PM
I used to do social work, so a few things I've done:

- Coached kids that were in the Special Olympics
- Talked someone out of suicide
- Rehabilitated 2 gang members to become productive members of society
- I made the local news in my fight for Phillips Electronics to give back customer refunds they promised (eventually a federal case was brought against them for this).
- And just last Saturday I adopted an injured kitten from the Humane Society and saved him from being put to sleep! :D

TeeEye7
06-14-2004, 05:51 AM
Putting murders, copkillers, rapists, child molesters, and assorted felons in jail and/or prison for almost the past 20 years; viewing the results of their activities first hand, and still being rather well adjusted in spite of it all! :cool:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2004, 06:55 AM
These are all great! Glad to hear that there are some good things (and people) left in this world.

My next:

Finally getting my teaching credential so I can, quote, be "learnin' the english to skule kidz." :p Teaching is perhaps one of the most rewarding occupations out there, because you get to see fairly instantaneously the effects and impacts of your efforts. Plus, you have access to a powerful copy machine... ahhhhhhhkkk... (insert Homer drool here) :rolleyes:

Bobby Fett
06-14-2004, 05:06 PM
A couple of coworkers and I stopped a woman trying to jump off a bridge. This was probably the single most intense episode in my life.

CaptainSolo1138
06-14-2004, 10:08 PM
My next:

Finally getting my teaching credential so I can, quote, be "learnin' the english to skule kidz."
This also happens to be next on my list. Two more short years *crosses fingers*

TeeEye7
06-15-2004, 04:52 AM
Teaching is perhaps one of the most rewarding occupations out there, because you get to see fairly instantaneously the effects and impacts of your efforts.

This has got to be a universal truth for all teachers. My wife teaches third grade and she, too, loves it when "the light bulb goes off above the head". She never tires of it. It's great when you're in a profession that provides instant gratification.

That's why, as a crime scene investigator, I like my job so much, too! Ya know when ya done good!

Exhaust Port
06-15-2004, 08:12 AM
Boy a single major accomplishment? It's tough to pick one being that I still have a lot of living left to do.

Earning the rank of Eagle Scout or soloing an airplane would have to be the tops.

Kidhuman
06-15-2004, 07:37 PM
OK, all kidding aside.

To me my biggest accomplishment to date is getting married. NOt onlyis my wife strunninglyhot, but she is the best woman on earth. Looks,brains and humor all in one. The kids are fun too. I got an instant family and ddidnt have to add water.

stillakid
06-16-2004, 03:11 AM
I got an instant family and ddidnt have to add water.

Um, it's not water that you add to get a family... :sur:

sith_killer_99
06-16-2004, 02:34 PM
Yeah, and adding it is the fun part...hehehe ;)

bigbarada
06-16-2004, 04:37 PM
I could say maintaining a 4.0 GPA in college for the last seven semesters, but that's easy when you're taking mostly art courses (although Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology and Public Speaking are all included in those seven semesters). :ermm:

I guess the accomplishment I am most surprised with is making it to the rank of Sergeant when I was in the Army. It was something I never really expected to do and when I went to the leadership training most of the people from my unit thought I would fail out since I was too quiet. However, I graduated on the Commandant's list (similar to the Dean's list for college), so it was pretty nice being able to prove everyone wrong.

Add to that 8 months in Bosnia watching children starve and not being able to do a thing about it (aside from giving them the occasional MRE when the officers weren't looking), and rotting on a hilltop acting as messenger boy for the entire South Korean peninsula while our site was getting scanned by North Korean artillery.

Rocketboy
06-16-2004, 09:39 PM
I could say maintaining a 4.0 GPA in college for the last seven semesters, but that's easy when you're taking mostly art courses (although Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology and Public Speaking are all included in those seven semesters). :ermm: You're right - the art classes are the easy part...its the others that keep knockin' my GPA down too.

Another great accomplishment in my life would have to be the fact that I haven't totally given up on college. Because of going half-time, taking very few Spring/Summer classes, and taking 2 semesters off, I've already been going near 5 years now. And recently I found that I have 2-3 years left and I'm a Junior for Pete's sake! I'm at the point where I hate college.
I'm in a Bachelor's of Fine Arts program that is a pretty long program (nearly 2 more years), plus if I go for my teacher certification, that adds another year (which I'll probably end up doing). All total - 25 more classes.

I do have my Associates degree though, which I'm kinda proud of. It's about as usefull as a high school diploma, but it's something.

Exhaust Port
06-16-2004, 09:53 PM
... I've already been going near 5 years now. And recently I found that I have 2-3 years left and I'm a Junior for Pete's sake! I'm at the point where I hate college.
That's nothin', I went to college for 7 years fulltime and the last 3 years were year round. 7 years and 6 majors!! I rule! ;)

Kidding aside, it is quite impressive to stick with something such as college for such a long time. So many people give up after only a few years not realizing that it would take so long or be so difficult at times.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-17-2004, 03:18 AM
Number one is being able to maintain my sense of humor and upbeat personality for my mom while she goes through all sorts of chemo treatments trying to get rid of cancer, (I hate the stuff, it's too rampant in this world and someone's accomplishment hopefully soon will be the cure) ;) it kills me inside when I think of it because my Mom is the best woman ever! And she's my bestfriend! But I have to maintain so there's at least something constant and normal in her life.

Graduating Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Science degree and moving on to my Masters.

evenflow
06-17-2004, 09:18 AM
I graduated with honors from college in 4 years.

CaptainSolo1138
06-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Another great accomplishment in my life would have to be the fact that I haven't totally given up on college.
I feel you. I get my AA in the fall after six freakin' years. Then REAL school starts. With any luck, I'll get my teaching certification just in time for retirement! :D

El Chuxter
06-17-2004, 12:08 PM
I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die. :eek:

Deoxyribonucleic
06-17-2004, 01:22 PM
I feel you. I get my AA in the fall after six freakin' years. Then REAL school starts. With any luck, I'll get my teaching certification just in time for retirement! :D

It's never too late! What age do you want to teach, youngin's, highschool, college?

arctangent
06-18-2004, 04:58 AM
my father passed away 18 days ago. he was a wonderful man - friendly, funny and kind and i think my major accomplishment in life is that i made him proud of the person i have grown up into.

Rocketboy
06-18-2004, 07:37 AM
I feel you. I get my AA in the fall after six freakin' years. Then REAL school starts. With any luck, I'll get my teaching certification just in time for retirement! :DI thought you were going to SVSU (at least for a while)? It's not a real school. The kids here are more high school than they are at Delta College.
I always forget to ask you, you're also going to teach jr high/high school, right?

Kidhuman
06-18-2004, 10:32 AM
I am sorry to hear that arctangent. I am sure he is very proud of you. You seem like a knowledgable person and a good one at that.

chrisc
06-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Surviving and completing th U.S. Army Ranger School. In Georgia. In July. With the mosquitoes and the suffocating humidity.

CaptainSolo1138
06-20-2004, 11:01 PM
I thought you were going to SVSU (at least for a while)? It's not a real school. The kids here are more high school than they are at Delta College.
I always forget to ask you, you're also going to teach jr high/high school, right?
No, I am not going to SVSU *shudders*. I'm transfering to Central. And to answer your and deoxy's querry, I'm going to teach highschool. I don't think I'd fare well with runny noses and vomit coming from eight year olds. At least highschoolers can clean up after themselves :D In all seriousness, that age seems more managable to me and allows me more freedom as a teacher since, unlike elementary especially, I don't have to teach them how to learn.

arctangent
06-21-2004, 06:45 AM
I am sorry to hear that arctangent. I am sure he is very proud of you. You seem like a knowledgable person and a good one at that.

thanks kh. don't know about knowledgable but i try to be a good person. doesn't always work but i try ;) !

Rocketboy
06-22-2004, 11:29 AM
In all seriousness, that age seems more managable to me and allows me more freedom as a teacher since, unlike elementary especially, I don't have to teach them how to learn.I understand where you're coming from on this. I'd like to be that "cool" teacher that like inspires a kid to go farther with what they want to do. And for those that already know what they want to do, I'd like to try and help the kid prepare for what's coming in college.