PDA

View Full Version : 500th Figure

rust
06-14-2004, 12:15 AM
Okay, I havent seen any threads for this so let this be the official thread *Lightning comes out of Fingers and Makes the word 'Official' in a stone*

Anyways...

Luke Skywalker was the First Figure.
Han in Carbonite was the 100th.
Mara Jade was 200th.
Boba was 300th.
Coleman Trebor was 400th.

Who will be 500th? Counting (Without HOF or VOTC Line), there are 486 Figures. Rumor is Vader will be 500th. Whaddaya think? I think we need to get Swami on this one. My guess is it will be in OTC though.

Thoughts?
-rust

mrpauldeeds
06-14-2004, 12:52 AM
I hope its the most accurate vader that we have been hearing about. We do have lots of vaders however. If its not the most perfect vader ever sculpted, then how about a really cool Obi Wan from the death star duel or something? super articulate him and make him super accurate. those are my two picks. and as for what line it will be in, OTC for sure.:)

dindae
06-14-2004, 08:05 AM
Would that just be a lightsaber hilt and a cut up robe? :D

Kidhuman
06-14-2004, 08:37 AM
I hope it is this "Ultimate Vader" figure. SUpposedly surpassing 300th Fett in every aspect.

rust
06-14-2004, 10:03 AM
I hope it is this "Ultimate Vader" figure. SUpposedly surpassing 300th Fett in every aspect.
A neutral SA Vader. Sweet.

Yep, I think I'll buy it, if it has Super Articulation. Let us now listen so the Swami can speak.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-14-2004, 10:36 AM
If, for some reason it turns out not to be Darth Vader, which I doubt as his arrival will coincide pretty closely with the OTC DVD release, then I hope its a previously unmade Cantina Patron.

mericen
06-14-2004, 10:39 AM
I too hope that it is a SA Darth Vader. I also hope he has a removable helmet and comes with the meditation chamber. It would go with the supposed Holographic Emperor from the Fanclub. This would seem like the most logical course for them to take to me anyway. Which probably means they wont do it knowing Hasbro's track record.

JON9000
06-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Would you guys prefer a cloth cape or a molded plastic one on Vader 500? I actually prefer plastic. Cloth just never really lays down properly. I am sure cloth has its fans too, however.

jjreason
06-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Does the total of 486 figures include on the basic carded figures? What about the Silver Special Edition Jobbies, or the deluxes? Cinema Scenes? Just curious, because I think I've got at least twice that number of figures, not including the army builders. There are 26 OTC figures cued up already, so would number 14 not be the 500th figure by this count? Or are they already included in the 486?

Regardless, a nice Vader in a special commemorative pkg a la 300th Fett would be nice. I would make this figure seated on a chair, with the dome of the helmet held up by the chamber arms, and have the whole base on a rotating pkg floor like those larger scale figures we got at the end of POTF2. That way you could spin it to see Ani's face or the back of the head like the movie. Cloth cape (of course), solid 1pc lightsaber included, as well as an extra hilt that would attach to the belt. Articulated arms like the Commtech version so he can stand with hands on hips like that marvelous figure, and grasp his saber with 2 hands for duelling. That would about do it for me.

jedi-cpa
06-14-2004, 12:06 PM
how do i have over 1000 figs?

Granted I have a lot of storm troopers fine, but no 500...does anyone have the list of the figures they are counting in 500...

dindae
06-14-2004, 12:24 PM
I don't think we ever got a satisfactory list of the first 300 on Boba fett.

jjreason
06-14-2004, 12:48 PM
Yeah, that 300th Fett package only had the landmark figures written on it from what I remember (1977 Luke being #1, etc). By the time I got that figure, I was trying to see how they were getting to 300 as I had many more than that by then. It would be nice for them to include a list, as they did with the cool 200th Batman figure they put out a few years ago. Aside, but related: I had no idea Coleman Trebor was the 400th figure. Was that on the package somewhere?

El Chuxter
06-14-2004, 01:47 PM
How about a (drumroll, please) Super-Articulated Yarna d'al Gargan?

jjreason
06-14-2004, 02:31 PM
I think maybe Yarna would be better off "Super Maleable" or with "Realistic Jiggling Action!" than Super Poseable. As long as her hands go above her head to best display that all-galaxy midriff, we're all set. :cool:

jedi-cpa
06-14-2004, 02:39 PM
What are folks figure counts? How many do you have?

I'm at 1,002...with a due from Kebco of an additional 30 or so.

I count the cantina two packs as two figs, and the clone multi I count as three...and I count cinema scenes and vehicl epack ins and that's how I get up to my number.

rust
06-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Yeah, that 300th Fett package only had the landmark figures written on it from what I remember (1977 Luke being #1, etc). By the time I got that figure, I was trying to see how they were getting to 300 as I had many more than that by then. It would be nice for them to include a list, as they did with the cool 200th Batman figure they put out a few years ago. Aside, but related: I had no idea Coleman Trebor was the 400th figure. Was that on the package somewhere?
No, I counted.

Also, I am counting the basic figs, no silvers, no deluxes, no Ultras, etc...
Whoever said they have more than 1000 figs, Did you count your deluxes and Ultras and etc?

I was surfing GH forums, and someone had this really good idea for 500th Vader:
Super Articulation
Removelable Helemt in two parts
Cloth cape, with metal chain to hold it
Removeable head, and Vader Episode 3 head incluided to put on
2 Sets of Removable hands
Meditation Chamber.

If the Meditation Chamber was accurate, and better then Complete Galaxy, I'd buy (That is if this guy's idea is true).

bigbarada
06-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Okay, I havent seen any threads for this so let this be the official thread *Lightning comes out of Fingers and Makes the word 'Official' in a stone*

Anyways...

Luke Skywalker was the First Figure.
Han in Carbonite was the 100th.
Mara Jade was 200th.
Boba was 300th.
Coleman Trebor was 400th.

Who will be 500th? Counting (Without HOF or VOTC Line), there are 486 Figures. Rumor is Vader will be 500th. Whaddaya think? I think we need to get Swami on this one. My guess is it will be in OTC though.

Thoughts?
-rust

Hasbro's count is pretty suspect. Luke is #1 that's pretty easy; but how can Han Carbonite be #100 when the vintage line died out at 96? One of the initial POTF2 releases should be the 100th figure. Thus, I think Hasbro just grabbed some character at random for #200, and you really have to fudge the numbers to put 300th Boba Fett at #300.

I think the 300th Boba was just a one-time gimmick, I doubt we'll be seeing any more of these types of ad campaigns in the future.

rust
06-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Hasbro's count is pretty suspect. Luke is #1 that's pretty easy; but how can Han Carbonite be #100 when the vintage line died out at 96? One of the initial POTF2 releases should be the 100th figure. Thus, I think Hasbro just grabbed some character at random for #200, and you really have to fudge the numbers to put 300th Boba Fett at #300.

I think the 300th Boba was just a one-time gimmick, I doubt we'll be seeing any more of these types of ad campaigns in the future.
There's a Vintage Han in Carbonite I believe...

http://www.rebelscum.com/VINtHancarbonite.asp

I assume they counted Droids and Ewoks (Damn... I need to count again...)
EDIT: I recounted using Droids and Ewoks, and Coleman is still 400th. (Weird... I did it in calculator too....)

bigbarada
06-14-2004, 04:20 PM
There's a Vintage Han in Carbonite I believe...

http://www.rebelscum.com/VINtHancarbonite.asp

I assume they counted Droids and Ewoks (Damn... I need to count again...)
EDIT: I recounted using Droids and Ewoks, and Coleman is still 400th. (Weird... I did it in calculator too....)

It still doesn't matter, Han Carbonite showed up on the famous 92-back cards from POTF in 1984. Adding in the other versions of Artoo and Threepio (standard R2, sensorscope R2, standard 3P0), you end up with 95 figures. Yakface, the figure who never made it to the US is the 96th figure. Thus, if you count the Droids and Ewoks line, then the 100th figure is from one of them. Hasbro didn't just fudge the numbers to put Han Carbo at #100, they had to flat out lie.

BlueSnags
06-14-2004, 04:36 PM
500th figure needs to be the Bespin Ice Cream man.

rust
06-14-2004, 04:36 PM
It still doesn't matter, Han Carbonite showed up on the famous 92-back cards from POTF in 1984. Adding in the other versions of Artoo and Threepio (standard R2, sensorscope R2, standard 3P0), you end up with 95 figures. Yakface, the figure who never made it to the US is the 96th figure. Thus, if you count the Droids and Ewoks line, then the 100th figure is from one of them. Hasbro didn't just fudge the numbers to put Han Carbo at #100, they had to flat out lie.
Did you count the entire Max Rebo band? That brings us to 99 w/o Droids or Ewoks. Meh, it doesnt matter. The point of this topic is to gasp at Coleman being 400 and to discuss figure 500.

bigbarada
06-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Did you count the entire Max Rebo band? That brings us to 99 w/o Droids or Ewoks. Meh, it doesnt matter. The point of this topic is to gasp at Coleman being 400 and to discuss figure 500.

That might work, if you add Jabba in also. But you're right, that's not the point of this thread.

Since the Vader w're getting with the neo-vintage collection looks pretty close to perfect, I don't think we need another one for the 500th figure.

I think if Hasbro is going to make another big about it though, it should be a core character. Since announcing "as a special comemorative edition we are releasing the 500th Star Wars figure: Weeba Weeba!" (the Nikto Rancor Keeper) I think it should be either Luke, Han or Leia; but I'm just not sure which versions of those characters would make a suitable 500th figure.

rust
06-14-2004, 05:49 PM
That might work, if you add Jabba in also. But you're right, that's not the point of this thread.

Since the Vader w're getting with the neo-vintage collection looks pretty close to perfect, I don't think we need another one for the 500th figure.

I think if Hasbro is going to make another big about it though, it should be a core character. Since announcing "as a special comemorative edition we are releasing the 500th Star Wars figure: Weeba Weeba!" (the Nikto Rancor Keeper) I think it should be either Luke, Han or Leia; but I'm just not sure which versions of those characters would make a suitable 500th figure.
Maybe a threepack of all three with super posability, and they could pose they way they did in the original movie poster.

I still think 500 Vader is a good idea...

Devo
06-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Vader as 500th figure? Christ, we've got so many darth vaders on so many different cards let alone novelty pack-ins that he's become a franchise all of his own. Please, if an 'occasion' is to be made of the 500th figure let it not be a core character but a background character that collectors have been looking for for years, like Yarna or Ice cream man. Please. Vader clogs up every other figure wave as it is and he will continue to do so as long as star wars figures are being made - why have him dominate 'events' such as 500th figure aswell? Sure we've got Fans choice which generally options non-core characters but the 500th, 600th etc could be an additional way of getting those kinds of figures, creating greater diversity in the star wars line. What i'm saying is why ask for Vader as 500th when you know they're going to shove at least 3 of him down your throat each year anyway?

rust
06-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Vader as 500th figure? Christ, we've got so many darth vaders on so many different cards let alone novelty pack-ins that he's become a franchise all of his own. Please, if an 'occasion' is to be made of the 500th figure let it not be a core character but a background character that collectors have been looking for for years, like Yarna or Ice cream man. Please. Vader clogs up every other figure wave as it is and he will continue to do so as long as star wars figures are being made - why have him dominate 'events' such as 500th figure aswell? Sure we've got Fans choice which generally options non-core characters but the 500th, 600th etc could be an additional way of getting those kinds of figures, creating greater diversity in the star wars line. What i'm saying is why ask for Vader as 500th when you know they're going to shove at least 3 of him down your throat each year anyway?
Ok, I see your point. Now Hasblow must see it. And we really need Swami to settle this.

dindae
06-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Ok, I see your point. Now Hasblow must see it.

By the time we see anything of the figures it is far to late for the to change anything major like figure selection. We can only hope that it will be the ultimate Vader we want (if it is in fact Vader). The only downside is that is what I was expecting from the VOTC Vader.

Kidhuman
06-14-2004, 08:28 PM
Who cares who number 500 is. I dont have 500 figures just shy of 310. I dont buy into all these re-releases and such as new figures.

Darth Jax
06-14-2004, 11:25 PM
if 500 is vader, then give us anakin wearing vader's armor.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-15-2004, 12:18 AM
I am in complete agreement about the over issuing of Darth Vader. I don't know when the "500th" Figure is scheduled for release, but we've got the HOF Vader out now, the OTC Vader out soon (is there more than one HOF Vader, or is it just the Hoth one?) and the VOTC Vader coming out by Fall. We don't need anymore Vaders. I'm half expecting to see a Tatooine Vader wearing a short sleeve, shorts and sandals, version of his costume with a beach towel instead of a cape. He's going to end up like all those ridiculous "Fish Tank Cleaning Batman" figures that Hasbro cranks out.

If you push his chest plate and he breathes, that might be okay.

As for the count, I don't know how Hasbro figures it. Maybe they don't count resculpts? I haven't done a count in a while, but I'm a completist and I know I have well over 600 SW figures not counting duplicates. I do include figures from multi-packs, vehicles, etc. I also include characters like Jabba, the Wampa, and even the droid that came with Aunt Beru. I suspect they are simply doing it to coincide with the DVD release, as another way to pimp their wares.

vadersvette
06-15-2004, 04:19 PM
I don't think we ever got a satisfactory list of the first 300 on Boba fett.

Here is a list I found a while back. Someone basically took the back of the Boba 300th and filled in the missing figures.

http://www.geocities.com/briansbondpage/300uncut.jpg
(I had to upload the pic onto my website because the file size was too big)

EDIT: apparently Geocities doesn't let you put links on message boards, so copy/paste the above link into a new window.

bigbarada
06-15-2004, 06:18 PM
I actually think that if Hasbro does try to make a big deal out of the 500th figure (highly unlikely that they will, unless there is some official announcement I am unaware of), then it should be a core character. I'm losing interest in all these nominal "characters" who had less than one second of screen time.

If Vader was chosen for the 500th then he should have:
1. double cloth cape - similar to the current VOTC release but made of silk, not the cheap cloth we get now
2. two piece removable helmet - not an easy task for Hasbro but this is a special occasion
3. the correct ROTJ lightsaber, not the ANH or ESB one

Basically, if Hasbro is going to make yet another Vader figure then it had better be the Vader figure to end all Vader figures.

TheDarthVader
06-15-2004, 07:12 PM
The 500th figure HAS to be Vader. It would be stupid for Hasbro to use a minor character for the 500th figure. Vader is the best villian ever, he is the coolest, he is the most deadly, he is the best character ever created , and he is synonymous with star wars! You have to be mighty desperate for the ice cream man and Yarna in order to say you believe one of those should be the 500th figure. Heck, I want each of those figures too, but when you think about it...Vader is a much better choice. I want a double cloth cloak made of a nice durable fabric, a lightsaber hilt, a one piece lightsaber, a two piece helmet, a cloth cape skirt, and many points of articulation. There, I said it. :D

Kidhuman
06-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Basically, if Hasbro is going to make yet another Vader figure then it had better be the Vader figure to end all Vader figures.

Very well said by friend. This Vader figure needs to blow all others away. If they do this, I hope its not a rehash, reissue, or re-release of another Vader figure.

DarthQuack
06-15-2004, 10:33 PM
I don't really care what the 500th figure is going to be as long as it's a solid figure we can all like.

Dave_Cameron
06-16-2004, 11:38 AM
I wonder how much more perfect of a Vader we could get? The VOTC one looks like it's going to be the be all end all Vader.

bigbarada
06-16-2004, 02:47 PM
I wonder how much more perfect of a Vader we could get? The VOTC one looks like it's going to be the be all end all Vader.

I agree, the only thing that could possibly make the VOTC version any better would be a removable helmet.

Honestly, though, I'm still pretty skeptical that Hasbro is even thinking about this. 300th Boba showed up during a fairly uneventful time, this year alone we have the DVD release which is turning into a huge event. Next year, of course, we have Ep3 AND the 25th Anniversary of ESB (which Hasbro has made no announcements about). So, I think we will have far surpassed the 500th figure before Hasbro will even have the time to think about it.

El Chuxter
06-16-2004, 02:49 PM
I suggested Yarna somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I think I'd be happier if the overall quality of figures improved and they stopped keeping this count for silly "anniversary' figures than if we got some overpriced super-duper figure in a nice box. So it could be Yarna or Ice Cream Man or Padme or whoever.

Though that theoretical Vader sounds cool, and there's no way I'd scoff at it if Hasbro produced it.

evenflow
06-17-2004, 10:04 AM
I miss the days of when exclusives were new figures that would normally not get made. Where oh where is my Yarna?

Devo
06-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Well I just reiterate "why ask for Vader as 500th when you know they're going to shove at least 3 of him down your throat each year anyway?" I honestly don't think the Vaders we have now need improving on. We've got some great scene specific Vaders like Interrogation Vader, Bespin Vader, Dagobah vader and Emperor's wrath Vader and the VOTC Vader looks like being a good all-purpose Vader. I'm fine with the ones we have and, well, I can't understand why others aren't, simple as that. Its like the recent Bossk. Yes its a great figure. But the old one was never a bad one. In fact it stands up very well with the newest figures. He didn't need redoing. If they wanted to rework a non-core character Bib Fortuna was a much better candidate cos the old one is completely sh*t. I just don't understand it.

mm74md
08-31-2004, 01:51 PM
Sorry if this breaks the rules Sir Steve, but Sithclan.net (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sithclan.net%2FSC4%2F accueil%2Finclude%2FviewNews.php%3Fid%3D7052&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools) reports that this will be meditation chamber Vader. We'll see if how true it is.

The report says we are close to the 500th figure. Are we counting single carded only figures? What about repacks like HOF?

Could someone point me to a list of the figure numbers?

aceguide
08-31-2004, 02:59 PM
I think an Ultra Vader with Meditation Chamber would rock. Earlier someone mentioned the fan club exclusive Emporer which would tie in nicely to the set. Based on 300th Boba my hopes are high...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-31-2004, 05:46 PM
There's a list of all the figures in the OTC section, the "Definitive Basic Figure List," made by yours truly.

I think a better meditation chamber (than the CG set) would be cool. With a screen for Ozzel. The Vader needs to somehow top the vintage figure, but judging by Hasbro's recent rehash and repack instincts, I doubt if it'll be even all-new.

Slicker
08-31-2004, 07:41 PM
My only hope would be that it is a main character and not some crappy secondary alien from the cantina or Jabba's Palace. When people think of Star Wars they think of Luke or Vader and not Dannik Jerriko or BG-J38 and if your gonna do a milestone figure like 500 you have to make it a main character. I'll hand it to Hasbro the 300th Fett was awesome but I would have preferred a new Luke or Leia IMO.

Kidhuman
08-31-2004, 09:35 PM
Sweet. I will take 2 of these.

B'Omarr Monkey
08-31-2004, 10:33 PM
Any day now, Hasbro will make the official announcement, which, to no one's surprise I'm sure, will be....

drum roll, please

...Commtech Han Solo!!!!!!

darthzirock
09-01-2004, 12:58 AM
Although we can debate the merits of a super articulated super-nifty 500th edition Darth Vader all night, the fact of the matter is that the biggest single icon of Star Wars is the Dark Lord of the Sith. From Day One, Vader was the big promotional tool for the franchise-in-the-making. What was the most eyecatching element of both the Tom Jung and Hildebrandt Bros. Star Wars posters? Vader's helmet! What has been the most recognizable element of all the ad campaigns for the sequels? Vader's helmet! When the Return of the Jedi poster featuring just the upraised lightsaber and itty-bitty Death Star II image failed to excite the masses, how soon was a new poster featuring Vader's helmet brought out? Almost immediately.

In many ways, Darth Vader is Star Wars!

So, for a 500th edition special figure to truly epitomize everything that has been the Star Wars toy lines from 1978 to now, it must be a Darth Vader figure. Hopefully, this "Le Predateur" at SithClan.net is legit and it will be a deluxe (or are we still using the term "ultra," Hasbro?) Vader with the Meditation Chamber from TESB. Of course, it needs to be an entirely new sculpt, not a combination of past really good Vaders like, say, the final Silver Edition Vader. Hasbro needs to knock our socks off with this Vader. Anything less, and they'll see them rotting on the shelves alongside the Wal-Mart Cantina Bar exclusives and the POTJ Bacta Tank Lukes.

dindae
09-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Any day now, Hasbro will make the official announcement, which, to no one's surprise I'm sure, will be....

drum roll, please

...Commtech Han Solo!!!!!!

I think your confused we are talking about the 500th figure not the 500th release of the same figure. :D

TheDarthVader
09-01-2004, 03:46 PM
I agree. A new meditation chamber Vader must be made! I would not mind if that figure ended up being #500. I do not own a meditation Vader yet, and I guess I will wait and see if hasbro produces a new one. :) <crosses fingers>

B.
TDV

master J
09-02-2004, 01:45 PM
I heard a pretty hot rumor that the 500th figure is Darth Vader in the chamber... but when you touch his chest plate it plays his breathing noice (a la R2D2 dagobah) Hope this one is true!!!