PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else love their job??

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2004, 07:47 AM
Inspired by the opposite less-positive title...

Well?

I'm a high school English teacher, with a little Yearbook advisor thrown in for good measure. Aside from the occasional (and sometimes frequent) frustrations with kids, parents, expectations, etc. things are great! I wouldn't trade places for my spot. I get to see my efforts make a difference. And, I get to integrate Star Wars into my lessons as often as I want (as long as they're based on education standards).

Examples:
- AOTC as a parallel to Romeo and Juliet (i.e. the forbidden relationship and its consequences)
- Playing "Into the Sewers" song from SOTE soundtrack during an in-class writing exercise on fears
- Leia and Padme as arguments against traditional gender roles
- My "Anakin/Vader shadow" poster as a visualization of foreshadowing
- Using "Who's more foolish..." quote as a writing prompt

It's all good! :D

Kidhuman
06-14-2004, 08:43 AM
I loved doing Loss Prevention work when I lived in NYC. It was great to chase shoplifters and occasionly toss them a beating.

RIght now, I am doing tech support for Dish NEtwork. It isn't bad, but it kind of funny to have people who are clueless when it comes to working a Satelitte System.

bigbarada
06-14-2004, 01:50 PM
I currently work at a community college in my hometown. Right now I am assembling a digital showcase of student artwork from the Graphic Design department. In the fall, I will be a teacher's assistant for the Computer Animation class. It's essentially a part time job, since I can only work 19 hours a week, but the only other options in my town are fast food or Wal-Mart. So I'm staying here as long as they'll let me (or until I can assemble a demo-reel and hopefully get hired by PIXAR or even ILM). :cool:

sith_killer_99
06-14-2004, 02:59 PM
WOW, BCJ, that's great man. I would love to get a teaching gig after I retire! I still have about 10 years left on Active Duty before I can retire. I am currently instructor qualified for the Army, it's an ASI (Additional Skill Identified). I am still working on my Bachelors, but want to get my Masters Degree in Political Science and a teaching certificate. I plan on looking into the "Troops to Teachers" program.

I figure teaching would be a great job, until I can run for office. City Council first, then on to Senator. ;) :D

TeeEye7
06-15-2004, 06:08 AM
BCJ:

My wife will begin her ninth year as a teacher this fall. She's still trying to master the use of Force Lightning on unruly parents (you know the ones!). If you have any tips I can pass on to her, I'd appreciate it! ;)

Then she'd REALLY love her job!

arctangent
06-15-2004, 07:03 AM
i am a graphic designer and i really enjoy what i do, despite the fact that everyone always wants their stuff yesterday and the client i have spent the last three days with updating his travel brochure has just called me to say the whole lot has been rendered completely wrong thanks to the goons at the eurostar train office (no wonder eurotunnel never makes any money) and i have to make lots of changes. actually, i might have to remind myself why i really enjoy what i do again :confused: !

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2004, 08:14 AM
BCJ:

My wife will begin her ninth year as a teacher this fall. She's still trying to master the use of Force Lightning on unruly parents (you know the ones!). If you have any tips I can pass on to her, I'd appreciate it! ;)
I have run into few Hutts and Toydarians (not by looks, mind you), so that means that mind tricks work best. You know, waving my hand around like I'm some kind of Jedi, simply taking Captain Solo and his friends, move along, etc. Force Lightning never works; follow old crazy Ben and have an effect on the weak minded. ;)

Seriously, one technique I learned over the years (mainly from customer service jobs), is to ask a question first. It makes the parent have to think and not just react to what you say. Have her try it out, TE7!

DarthQuack
06-15-2004, 02:17 PM
I work for a 24 hours local news station called Capital News 9. I have been there for about 2 years right after I graduated college. It is a great company to work for since Time Warner is the parent. I am getting tired of doing what I do there, but we'll see if I can find something better to do. I'd like to think teaching could always be a backup plan.

MQ

Bacta Beast
06-15-2004, 09:22 PM
I work for Comcast, and man does it suck!!!!!!! :mad:

Tonysmo
06-15-2004, 11:49 PM
I work for Comcast, and man does it suck!!!!!!! :mad:

lol, yep, Im sure that does suck.

I have to support them. grrr..

evenflow
06-16-2004, 10:25 AM
I am working for CBS now, and I hate it. When I was DJing and was Music Director at a radio station I loved it. Trying to get back into radio I am.

dr_evazan22
06-16-2004, 10:29 PM
When I lived up in PA I was a member of the local volunteer fire company, for the 3 years before I moved. At it's worst, it was a great job. Or should I say great fun. There were SO many things I liked, it's tough to single out just a couple things... But getting up in the middle of the night for a fire call, getting on the open-cab ladder truck going to assist another company, air horn and siren going. I still get a big grin from that. EVOC ambulance training. My FF trading card. I'll stop there, but there are more.

Volunteering with Habitat For Humanity. Especially if it meant working 1 fewer days at a job I didn't like.

sergiurusu
07-09-2004, 04:37 AM
I work as university assistant and like working with students. Some of the old professors still stink though. Also work for Radio Arad where I have an electronic music show "Ambient Universe" and like to do this!

Darkness Shroud
07-09-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm an engraver and i hate it. I'm studying to be a business systems analyst in my spare time. You all sound as if you have good jobs though. I was going to be a cartoonist but the guy who i was meant to work with employed someone else a week earlier. Well...... you live you learn. :)

The 'Xir
07-10-2004, 04:54 AM
I'm not hugely successful and I'm not rich by any means, but, when I'm retired on a beach somewhere, and someone looks over and asks me what I did to get there, I'll be able to laugh and tell 'em I used to sell junk out of a bag! It's not that simple, but in reality it is! I work when and wherever I want and sell/make as little or as much as I want! I travel all over my state and meet a bunch of cool people, and make money doing it! Now I've been doing this type of work for about 6years now, so we don't really carry/buy junk to resell, but we're Peddlers so people always assume it's just junky type stuff, but I always kid and say hey, it may be junk, but it's junk at a good price! ;) 100 to 600 bucks A DAY profit aint bad for just going out and saying Hi to people!

kool-aid killer
07-14-2004, 02:17 PM
I like my job. It, like all, has its drawbacks (i will get to those later) and its good points. I dont mind the work and the pay is okay for a college student. But its the bad that sometimes makes me think about leaving, and the urge is growing every day. First off in the summer it is burning hot in the warehouse. It just seems to weigh you down and drains any motivation to work hard. Then there is the people. Of the people i know and work side to side with i get along with all. In all i would say the number is around 20 or so. Then their is the majority of the work population that i dont know so i dont judge them as enjoyable or jerks. Then there are the jerks, about 10 in all that ive encountered. They really take the fun out of the work and their attitudes grow old very quickly. They make the job most unbearable. But i figure at the most ive got another year before i move on. If something comes up sooner i will take it, but not without missing some aspects of my current job.

Allie Fox
07-15-2004, 04:35 PM
I don't think I can say that I "LOVE" my job. I do however, have few problems with working where I do. I work for the government so the pay isn't as good as the private sector, but the amount I get paid compared to the amount I work is considerable.