PDA

View Full Version : Pee-Wee's Playhouse coming to DVD!!

B'Omarr Monkey
06-14-2004, 11:47 PM
It is official. All 45 episodes of Pee-Wee's Playhouse will be released on DVD this Fall w/commentary by Paul Reubens. This is going to be awesome, and I'm sure the packaging is going to be amazing.

I'm getting clobbered with all the box sets coming out this year. I ahven't even caught up on the ones that have already come out, but this I will buy immediately.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-14-2004, 11:50 PM
In all my excitement, I forget to mention that that includes 6 "lost episodes" as well as bonus material provided by Paul Reubens. I hope that this includes lots of stills of the sets and props.

I also hope they include the Christmas Special.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-15-2004, 12:11 AM
You just said, "special"- its' the word of the day!!!

(enter bells, whistles and various screaming)

This DVD set is going to be sweet. I used to watch that show every freakin' day when i was a young lad.

I also hope that one day they release that "Pee Wee's House" or whatever it was. It's that comedy act with Paul, Phil Hartman and other various actors that was performed in front of a live audience in LA. It's from like 94 i think.

Anyway, sweet deal!!! :crazed:

B'Omarr Monkey
06-15-2004, 12:29 AM
I think that might have actually been called "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" as well. It shows up periodically on HBO and Comedy Central. I taped it a few years ago, but have no idea where my copy is, since all of my VHS is still in boxes from my move.

I digress.

I'm thinking, that might actually be one of the bonuses included with the set.

I have the VHS box sets, and was just watching some the other day. I'm glad they'll be putting out the rest including the one that has that weird French Elvis singing on a tiny boat in some really bad theme park, while he drifts by a bunch of go-go girls twisting on the banks. I haven't seen that episode since it last aired, and it haunts me with his "Yippeee, Yaii, Yaii, Yaii, Yippeee-yay-ay-ay!" that he keeps singing. It's one of those strange "found" films that would occassionally be thrown into the mix via "magic glasses" or something. You'll know it when you see it.

mm74md
06-16-2004, 12:12 PM
This is sweet. I've been tempted for a while to get the VHS copies & transfering them to DVD. But patience has paid off.

My son just loves Pee Wee's Big Adventure & I need to get these as well

JEDIpartner
06-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-16-2004, 04:37 PM
This show was awesome, I used to watch it (in repeats, of course). That Christmas special was hilarious.

I wonder if he'll talk about all the double entendres (sp)? There were quite a lot.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-17-2004, 02:00 AM
My favorite of the double entendres is in the "Fire in the Playhouse" episode. When Fireman Frank is going over fire safety tips, Miss Yvonne comments to him "I have a smoke detector. It's in my bedroom, above my bed." When this episode was repeated, I went to point this line out to someone who was over and this time when Miss Yvonne opened her mouth she said "I have a smoke detector. It's in my kitchen above my stove. " with the bold faced words in a completely different voice from Miss Yvonne's. I guess someone at CBS was paying attention.

Miss Yvonne generally got to deliver the best ones, or was involved in them. Though the shared wink between Cowboy Curtis and Jambi, when Cowboy Curtis informs Pee-Wee "Well, you know what they say. Big boots....big feet." is another good one.

RooJay
06-18-2004, 01:56 AM
Hopefully we'll get a cool special edition of Pee Wee's Big Adventure to go along with this!

El Chuxter
06-18-2004, 11:43 AM
That'd be cool, but the current DVD is about as loaded as a "budget" disc can be. Audio commentary by Danny Elfman! Cool.

Though I certainly wouldn't scoff at a new version. And I don't believe Big Top Pee Wee is out on DVD. It should be released with a music-only track, since the score is way out of print.

Danny Elfman and Tim Burton rule!

B'Omarr Monkey
06-18-2004, 11:42 PM
Big Top Pee Wee comes out on DVD sometime this summer, and I think they are rereleasing Pee-Wee's Big Adventure as well. The extras on that were actually very good. I remember listening the the commentary a couple years ago while I took down the Christmas tree, and being amused by it mostly being Paul Reubens pointing out a prop and saying "I still have that." and pointing out actors and giving updates on what became of them.

The CD of Big Top Pee-Wee unfortunately has bits of randomly chosen dialogue interspersed with the music tracks but if you are interested, PM me, it's possible I may have an extra copy . ;) ;)

Turbowars
06-20-2004, 10:53 PM
I loved that show. I don't know if I will buy the set, but it was fun back then.

RooJay
06-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Anybody still have their Pee Wee figures? I've still got Pee-Wee somewhere, and I've got my King of Cartoons, Jambi, the puppet band (Dirty Dog, Cool Cat and Chicky Baby), Pterri, Randy and Globey and my brother still has the playhouse playset!

B'Omarr Monkey
06-22-2004, 01:32 AM
I still have mine as well as a complete set of cards, etc. from the fun packs. I've been occassionally trying to fill in the Pee-Wee figures I missed because I was a starving college student when they came out. I just scored the playhouse playset off ebay for $18 including shipping. It's not MIB, but neither are the figures I have, so as long as it was complete and in good shape I didn't care.

The only one I've lost is Conky. My stuffed Pterri hasn't surfaced yet either, but I don't see how he could have been lost, so I'm still hoping he'll show up.

I once had an apartment that was decorated very much in the style of Pee-Wee's playhouse, unfortunately I no longer have any pictures of it, but I've already started to transform my kids' playroom into a smaller version of it. When it's done, I'll post some pics.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-23-2004, 07:13 PM
I also hope that one day they release that "Pee Wee's House" or whatever it was. It's that comedy act with Paul, Phil Hartman and other various actors that was performed in front of a live audience in LA. It's from like 94 i think.

Anyway, sweet deal!!! :crazed:

That was a special on HBO called "The Pee-Wee Herman Show" and it came out way before PW's P'house. I think it was done at a nightclub cause it's blatantly adult unlike the more subtle series.

Phil Hartman started that whole thing with Reubens a long time ago. He's actually in PW's BA at the drive-in as a reporter intervewing Francis about the bike.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-24-2004, 03:47 PM
That was a special on HBO called "The Pee-Wee Herman Show" and it came out way before PW's P'house. I think it was done at a nightclub cause it's blatantly adult unlike the more subtle series.

Phil Hartman started that whole thing with Reubens a long time ago. He's actually in PW's BA at the drive-in as a reporter intervewing Francis about the bike.

He also co-wrote the script and played Captain Carl on the tv show.

DarthQuack
07-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Pee Wee's Playhouse comes back to TV tonight on adult swim at 11pm eastern. Be sure to wake your kids up to watch it! Just like you would for TV Funhouse when it was on Comedy Central. :bandit:

General_Grievous
07-10-2006, 11:28 PM
I'm watching igt right now. I used to watch reruns 7 or 8 years ago on Fox Family (now known as ABC Family). It's good to see Pee Wee, Chairy, Jambi, Randy, Conky, Miss Yvonne, the King of Cartoons and Cowboy Curtis again. :)

Banthaholic
07-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Nice to have Pee Wee on tv again.

UKWildcat
07-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Yup, good stuff!!! :thumbsup:

2-1B
07-11-2006, 02:57 AM
we should play secret word and post it in invisible text...then whenever someone types it out, we all SCREEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM REAL LOUD! :grin:

jjreason
07-11-2006, 03:18 AM
I would yell. I loved that show, and keep hoping against hope I'll someday see an infomercial I saw a long time ago allowing people to subscribe to videotaped episodes of the series. I tried to buy them for my brother at the time, but the wouldn't ship to Canada. :cry:

Time for a boxed set, methinks.

darthvyn
07-11-2006, 07:49 AM
well, for now you can settle for TiVo'ing i from adult swim!

pegger
07-11-2006, 11:21 AM
My favorite episode was the one where the secret word was Help...

An he was making something in the kitchen with whip cream, and it wouldn't stop coming out,:

PW - "Help!"

everyone - "AAAHHHH!!"

PW "No really - Help!!"

Everyone: - "Aaaaah!"

good times....

2-1B
07-11-2006, 02:19 PM
My favorite episode was the one where the secret word was Help...

AHHHHHHH ! lol

El Chuxter
07-11-2006, 02:59 PM
I liked when the word was Zzyzzyballuba.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2006, 08:23 PM
I watched it last night . . . God, I forgot how much I FREAKING LOVE that show!!!!! Pee-wee is of course awesome, and I forgot all the crazy characters and puppets on there. The animation in the old cartoons, and the claymation on other parts, is the kind of crap I love. If I ever get a lot of money, I'm decorating my damn house to look like the playhouse (kind of like Peter on Family Guy :D ).

Also, there's a new boxset out soon, with more bells and whistles. I may get that one.

General_Grievous
07-11-2006, 10:42 PM
I also seem to remember an episode where Pee Wee married a bowl of fruit salad. :D

UKWildcat
07-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Pee-Wee or the actor playing him (Paul Reubens) is on Letterman tonight. I know that is only in a matter of minutes but some of you may be able to catch it.

Banthaholic
07-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Funny episode tonight. Word of the day was 'Fun' so you can imagine all the screaming.

Have Letterman on and Reubens will be on after the break. I'd be a happy man if he'd announce he's working on the next Pee Wee movie. (Incidentally Big Top Pee Wee was on today with Benicio Del Toro playing the Dogboy?)

Update: Reubens announced he just finished a script for a proposed Pee Wee's Playouse the Movie were the characters from the Playhouse leave the Playhouse and the tale to be told by that. I'm guessing some sort of roadtrip kinda thing, maybe something up the alley of The Muppet Movie.

darko666
07-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Update: Reubens announced he just finished a script for a proposed Pee Wee's Playouse the Movie were the characters from the Playhouse leave the Playhouse and the tale to be told by that. I'm guessing some sort of roadtrip kinda thing, maybe something up the alley of The Muppet Movie.

awesome. i remember hearing rumours that he was writing two kinds of Pee Wee movies. one movie is adult themed, while the other would be kids themed. heck, i would see both of them. and i'm glad [as] picked up the show, it brings back great memories. granted i own the dvds, but seeing it on tv, makes it better.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Does anyone know the deal with the theme song? They had the singing one for the first four episodes, and now they're showing the one where it starts in the woods and goes up to the house (it's all claymation, except for when Pee-wee passes by). I remember both, and I also remember one very similar to the singing one, but with different footage, a few different lyrics (mentioning the Puppet Band, for one), and no "duh-duh-duh" from the window.

So, are they showing these in order, and with the correct opening credits, or what? And how many different versions were there?

Oh, and I also remember that they changed Globey's face quite a bit, but I don't remember what the other one looks like.