PDA

View Full Version : Bad News!!!!......maybe..probably...just read

DarthChuckMc
06-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Ok,
For those that know, and now for those that don't, I am the Toys and Sporting Goods Team Lead at my Super Target. Every Wednesday, I scan all the OUTS and CRITICAL LOWS in my department, to see if the items are in backstock, and if my counts are correct. Well, today, when I scanned the 4 pegs I have for CLONE WARS Animated figures, I was shocked to see that they have been DISCONTINUED!!!! I guess rumors of a 3rd and 4th line are bogus, or maybe TARGET has decided not to carry them for the next round (BIG MISTAKE).

Anyway, I thought I'd fill you guys and gals in. If they are DISCO, they'll be hitting the CLEARANCE pegs soon with the ULTRA waves.

BTW...all of the DPCIs are in the system for OTC basic, vehicles, Falcon, lightsabers, basic sabers, Yoda, Unleashed, and VOTC....but nothing has a Planogram # attached yet. My next major reset isn't until August 1st, and that'll be gearing me up for X-mas. Maybe a revision to my current set is coming soon, but I haven't heard otherwise :(

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the info Darth!! I still see these warming the pegs at my local targets and wonder if the 3rd and 4th waves were a rumor. I guess only time will tell. :D

Also, on a side note, if you're a lead, maybe you can answer me: will you folks be carrying the Hulk Classics line anymore? I haven't seen anything for months and i still need absorbing man. If you have any info/dirt, pleaes drop me a PM as i'm hella curious. Thanks, i appreciate it! :D

DarthChuckMc
06-16-2004, 08:19 PM
As far as I know, the Marvel stuff is stil coming. I have 2 cases worth in back stock right now, that came in Monday night. No Absorbing Man, but there is a Smart Hulk, David Banner/Hulk 2 pack, some robot looking Hulk, and a few Wolverines.

They don't scan DISCO yet, so they may be around for a while. It took forever for those to come in at my store, but only because there were still Hulk Movie figures warming the pegs for so long.

On a side note, for all you people wondering about Target's restocking:

Nothing can be ordered. We don't ORDER cases of ANYTHING. Everything in the store (except for Grocery in Super Target) is AUTO-REPLINISHED. Once so many go through the check lanes, another case is requested via computer, and the DC sends it out within a few days to the stores (IF the items are in the DC).

Stores that aren't getting ANYTHING (Star Wars or otherwise), probably aren't doing RESEARCH every week, and correcting their on hand counts. If the counts are off, they'll never get anything.

An example: The Waterford Lakes store, near UCF here in Orlando, supposedly had 219 (Yes, 219!!) Collection 2 figures on hand back in February. I checked our Merchandise Locate (which can be done at any register, you just need the DPCI), and it said that they had that many on hand. Of course, they didn't REALLY have that many, but the system showed that they did. This could have been a mistake while doing research, and mistakenly keying in 219 instead of 21, or 19....or, the DC shipped a case of paper towels, that had the wrong label on the box (called a MISPICK), and this threw the counts off.

Anyway, I called the store, and told the Team Lead, he may want to double check his counts. He did correct them, and ever since, that store has pretty consistantly received cases of figures every other week, depending on sales of course ;)

As long as the figures are being bought, and the count gets down to the minimum allowed on-hand, another case will come in...and the cycle repeats.

There isn't much YOU as GUEST's can really do, other than the occasional, "Hi, did you know you haven't had any new action figures in 4 months?" comment. You could ask to speak with the Hardlines Exec. Let him/her know, that you frequent the store, how much you love shopping there, but can never find any new toys, because they haven't had any in 4 months. Tell them you started going to Wal*Mart and TRU instead. They may take it seriously, and have the TL check the counts. They may even goes as far as send an internal email up to Target E-support. If enough people go in there, and say "What the F..?" they'll probably be more apt to help solve the problem.

Some stores are lower volume than others, too. They don't get replinshed as fast, or even receive as much as higher volume stores do. You may just be outta luck in some cases.

Any other ???s....IM me * darthchuckmc on msn messenger or chuckmc72 on yahoo messenger

Kidhuman
06-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Howdy Chuck. NO biggie on the animated figures as mostly Dooku and Mace are left hanging around. Let us know when the oTC stuff hits though.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-17-2004, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the enlightenment on how restocking is done, Darth.

I suspect that the third and fourth wave of the Clone Wars toys will not be released until close to the DVD release date, or at least Xmas. My suspicion is, that if these do exist, they were probably already made when the first waves were, but may have been held back for release until later to give Hasbro some extra time to focus on the Ep. 3 stuff. This way they have already made action figures to tie into a forthcoming Ep. 3 lead-in, hopefully generating excitement for the new movie + the toys.

Darth Alex
06-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the info. You're right, DarthChuckMc, mentioning that a particular store hasn't gotten anything new in for months does seem to move things along. In Walmart's case, following up on no new stock seems to really help.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Well, I wonder if series 3 and 4 are being put on hold until March 2005, when the next season of Clone Wars starts. HOpefully that's the case, since it makes the most sense.

Why, though, did they expand the LOTR section to where the Ultra used to be if they're gonna have all this new space for the OTC? Maybe they're going to use endcaps?

sith_killer_99
06-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Well, the only CW Cartoon figs I see warming pegs are endless Dooku's and a few Durge's, oh sure every now and then an Obi-Wan or something, but for the most part these did pretty well, out here at least.

Well, I wonder if series 3 and 4 are being put on hold until March 2005, when the next season of Clone Wars starts. HOpefully that's the case, since it makes the most sense.

I gotta agree, this seems to make the most sense.

OC47150
06-25-2004, 03:52 PM
If that is the case, it would make sense for another store to pick up the series, if Hasbro is truly going to be make series 3.

But I'll take a wait-and-see attitude in the meantime. :D

mastermatt24
06-26-2004, 08:54 PM
I get disapointed about the re-ordering thing at target. My brother works there and tells me all about it.... Anyways, even if they made a third wave what would be in it??? I can only think of four things,an ARC Trooper, maybe a deluxe "thing" on speeder bike (the cone head IG-88 looking droids that fight with durge :crazed: ), Padme and a Banking Clan dude. What do you guys think would be in it if they made a third line?

jedi master sal
07-01-2004, 09:40 AM
There's plenty of choices. Here are some:

Red Battle Droid
Super Battle Droid
Chancellor Palpatine
R2-D2/C3PO two pack
San Hill (The Banking clan dude)
IG Droid (yes, the ones one the speeder bikes)
GENERAL GREVIOUS!
Any number of the other Jedi seen already.

As to who has a more major role and why they might be produced over another, it seems to make sense that at least the Battle Droid and Super Battle Droid would be made. The R2 and 3PO would be cool, since they harken back to their old cartoon days.

Lazer Brain
07-02-2004, 10:35 AM
WELL DARTH CHUCK,
I saw all the animated figures going on clearence here in san antonio. I am sure that by the end of this month they will be hitting the end caps of dispair for there will be no more.
our only hope will be a reissue when the new show starts.
later

Kyle Katarn
07-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Those Figures are cool, they can't be discontinued. I would like to see Vehicles of the Animated Series, they would look nice.

Tycho
07-11-2004, 12:59 PM
I really liked Darth Chuck's posts because they describe how stuff gets sent to your Target and why you can or cannot find figures there.

It further illustrates how we cause our own problems sometimes:

HIDING FIGURES - if you hid a bunch of figures because you didn't have money for them, or they are for friends to find later (and they can't find them or they found them at another store and don't need them, don't have the money, etc.) - then your store will not register the product sold, and they won't order more. Furthermore, if during inventory or Research (whatever Target calls it) they can't find figures that are supposed to be on hand, they'll list it as a loss, and buying SW from Hasbro will be less profitable for them - even though nothing was actually stolen. People just seem to not be afraid to hide things - but they are afraid to restock them if they don't need them.

How do the stores list or deal with "rediscovered inventory" when they pull shelves up and find figures stashed underneathe them that haven't turned up for a year or so?

BENDING CARDS FOR KIDS OR OPENERS TO BUY: you can't assume that openers of any age will come to your store. You also can't assume that if you are an opener and don't have the money for a figure, that the next day you DO have cash, you will buy your figure from THAT particular store. (suppose you found money in a jacket you hadn't worn for a week, and you'd bent figures in Wal-Mart, but found the money in the jacket you wore to Target. You'd leave bent figures you no longer needed at Wal-Mart) The bent figures would sell to THAT MANY LESS people, and stagnate the store's computer inventory that much longer.

BUYING UP A LOT OF EXTRAS FOR FRIENDS OR TO TRADE OR SCALP - THEN RETURNING THEM takes the chance that if you take more than you need and hold them for a long time, when you HAVE TO return them before your receipt expires, you'll add back to the SW inventory count at that store and you'll end up seeing less ordered there - especially since these now older figures won't move as quickly as when you took them.

I'm sure DarthChuck can tell me if I got a handle on these situations or not.

darthzirock
07-11-2004, 03:02 PM
I get disapointed about the re-ordering thing at target. My brother works there and tells me all about it.... Anyways, even if they made a third wave what would be in it??? I can only think of four things,an ARC Trooper, maybe a deluxe "thing" on speeder bike (the cone head IG-88 looking droids that fight with durge :crazed: ), Padme and a Banking Clan dude. What do you guys think would be in it if they made a third line?

According to The Private Universe, the 3rd wave of animated CW figures are:

Arctic Outfit Padme
C-3PO
R2-D2
General Grievous

Kidhuman
07-11-2004, 08:47 PM
How do the stores list or deal with "rediscovered inventory" when they pull shelves up and find figures stashed underneathe them that haven't turned up for a year or so

Basically after awhile a store will do an on-hands count of merchandise. If it turns up that only 1 or 2 are off count, they adjust it. If it is a high number, then they try to find it and report it to loss prevention for them to watch the area for theft. Most stuff is recovered at inventory because a store is supposed to move everything and look behind everything and under everything. Most of it will turn up, if not they adjust there counts and list it as a hot area for L.P.

jedi master sal
07-13-2004, 11:07 AM
BUYING UP A LOT OF EXTRAS FOR FRIENDS OR TO TRADE OR SCALP - THEN RETURNING THEM takes the chance that if you take more than you need and hold them for a long time, when you HAVE TO return them before your receipt expires, you'll add back to the SW inventory count at that store and you'll end up seeing less ordered there - especially since these now older figures won't move as quickly as when you took them.

All very valid points Tycho. I hid ONCE and burned myself in the process. I hid three Naboo royal guards (the HTF ones) at a local WM. Went back the next day and they had been found and apparently sold. Now, If I would have thought about it more, I had enough the previous day to just put the figures on layaway. Thankfully, I've never had to put figs on layaway, because either I have the mool on me or my fiancee pays for them and I pay her back later, still the practice of hiding figs, shouldn't happen, for various reasons, many of which Tycho already commented on.

Bending card: I agree completely. I'm an opener army builder and while I'm more apt to buying a fig with a bent card, we all know that there is a large percentage of SW collectors who are "carded" collectors and will not buy if damaged. If you already have the figure in question then don't bend it on the hopes that another collector such as yourself or a kid gets it. If you want a buddy of your's to get it, ask the store if they'll hold it for you. I've done that a couple of times. Usually most stores will only hold it for a day. But if you've been a great customer and the employees see you in the store alot, then they may cut you some slack (isn't that a term from year ago), anyway, bending cards is also considered criminal as you are disfiguring (no pun intended) store property. It's a serious enough offense that besides some form of community service or worse, you would in all likelyhood be banned form that store forever.

It's the last point that Tycho makes that I want to expound upon. I have a good friend who is a collector and does this very thing. He knows it agitates to me to no end, but still, he refuses to see the harm in it.

As Tycho mentions, the store that sells the product sees a sale, then orders more. If you go and buy up extra stuff not for you for WHATEVER purpose, and then take it back, the store must take it back (within the pre-established time limit, anywhere from 1-3 months). Now this store has backlog. They won't order more because their computer reads they have enough. Even if sales were brisk and they might have been on the verge of ordering, getting even one return can really screw up the ordering system.

Only if you absolutely know that your going to trade or sell (AT COST!!!) in the immediate future (within a few days to a week) should you buy more. Otherwise, leave it for the other collectors.

I become increasingly frustrated when I can't find stuff. i'm a 9-5er so I can't get out to stores until 6 or even 7 pm. By that time stuff has usually been well picked over. Were it not for the fact that I go "hunting" for toys 4-5 nights a week and cover 60-70 square miles every week, I wouldn't find stuff.

Sometimes because of what I refer to as "early morning risers". These are those scalpers and collectors who get to a store so early that it's not even open yet, then buy up all of the HTF and rare stuff, and then move on the the regular stuff. Sometimes I can't find stuff because of people like my friend. Out of a sense of "collecting morals", you just shouldn't do it. It can backfire on you and can ultimately impact sales/distribution etc in your local area. As to how it can backfire on you, what if a store decides it won't take back your stuff? Then you either try to peddle it off on another store (and without a receipt since you actually bought the stuff at a different store), or have to EAT IT and are now stucj with unwanted toys. To me, it's preferable that a store has a certain return policy. For HOT toy lines such as SW, you should have at the most 1 month to return stuff and STRICTLY only if you have a receipt. That would curb alot of "return" collectors (for trades) as well as scalpers. Knowing that they only have a short window to offload their wares would make them think twice.

Okay, that's my more than two cents.
-Sal

dindae
07-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Amen Sal. Nothing cheeses me off more than going into a store and seeing that some collector/scalper dumped a bunch of crap that won't sell. Just last month I saw my least favorite and unfortunately closest Wal-Mart had let someone return their Episode I Nute Gunray and Rune Haako! :mad: :eek: I don't need a strict policy for returns but FIVE YEARS? For this reason whenever I get gifts of figures, that always wind up being duplicates I don't need never an army builder, I give them away rather than return them to a store.

To stay on topic if the lineup at The Private Universe is right then I would be pretty pleased. I would still like a Obi in clone armor.

OC47150
07-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Good points, Sal.

I occasionally hid figures for friends but I call them immediately and tell them where to find them, so the figs are hidden for a limited amount of time. The longest time I hid a figure was about two weeks. It was the red clone trooper three-pack at Target last fall.

I'm an 8 - 5er, who doesn't get the chance to go look until 6 p.m. or later. And that's limited to only a few stores on the way home from work. When the boss is on vacation, the office does have the tendency to come in a little later, and I try to hit a store or two before dragging my butt in to work. I have been known to extend a quick work-related errand to check out a store or two.

Saturday mornings are my big day to go snoopin'. The width of my circuit (I do have a pre-determined route I hit) depends on my current finances. Money tight, only a couple of local stores. Money surplus (which is an oddity these days) at least most of the morning out and as many stores as possible.

I'm one of those crazies who buys two (save and open). If one of the two has a bent card, that's the one that gets opened. I don't intentionally bend cards; cards get bent enough as is on the pegs.

At the last collectors club meeting, someone commented that he's gotten tired of driving around looking for new figures and has started ordering cases from online companies. For me, especially on Saturdays, that's my 'me time,' and I still have fun doing it.

Tycho
07-13-2004, 01:58 PM
OC47
Sal
Dindae

Don't take my tone the wrong way, but:

Why can't you...

1) wake up at 5am if you normally wake up at 6am
2) get all ready for work
3) go to Wal-mart at 6:45am and wait, go in buy everything you need, be done with it
4) then go to work on your regular 7-8 commute

versus

get off at 5, 6, or 7pm and drive everywhere looking for stuff, which realistically will not be left behind on the racks for months (until after all the morning people have their fill)

This way,

1) You only go to 1 store (or 2 if you have time for a Target)
2) You only do this as a new wave comes out.
3) new waves come out at what, 3-4 figures, 1x a month, sometimes slower?
4) at best you might have these figures on your first shot in the morning
5) at worst, it could take 2 weeks of this sort of effort, if done with information
6) 2 weeks (at worst) is better than driving around all month. That's 2 weeks on, 2 weeks OFF - and usually longer until Hasbro ships things
7) Information is available in the Just Found Forums. I don't hunt at all untill I see Southern California reports of things being found - and at exactly what stores.

I barely go hunting at all, yet I found 60 super articulated clone troopers and our morning crew got approximately 93 total from our area.

I got them all around the first week or December, thereabouts, and DID NOT shop for toys the rest of the month.

What is the issue?

1)yes I lost sleep and felt like I was a bit exhausted
2) yes I was stoked and exchanged congrats with my collecting group all day long -adrenalizing me when otherwise I would have liked sleep.

So sorry my tone might seem self-righteous, but truth be told, I 50% HATE going out in the morning, so it is a release to complain about it. But I never complain about not having the figures.

OC47150
07-13-2004, 02:04 PM
In my defense, between 7 - 8 a.m., the only store open is Wal-mart. There are two within 10 minutes of the hours, but I've hardly bought anything at WM this year.

Target doesn't open 'til 8 a.m., anyway. So it's easier to run an errand at lunch and go look.

Tycho
07-13-2004, 02:59 PM
I understand.

I just can't help but suspect that Wal-Mart has the stuff you are looking for at 7am (before work) and you could already have your toys to relax and appreciate over your lunch.

Just a thought. It would take a 2 week experiment (at most) to find out.

But it's all about whatever we are comfortable with. I'm just certain that by lunch time, your Target (as well as your Wal-Mart) has been raided thoroughly.

There is no remnants of the OTC being left behind at my stores lately (to signal they were ever there) - but yes they are getting them.

dindae
07-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Tycho I don't have a problem finding figures. I just hate when I see late returns. Its a pet peeve. Just like people bending cards, although I haven't seen it in a long time (shipping/stockers seem to be doing a good job of it as it is). Now for the last year I have had a harder time either because I keep finding the same figure but it is damaged (I found 12 damaged Daniel Faytonni's before I found an acceptable one) or things overlapping like exclusive sets inbetween the waves of figures. So I have started preodering everything but exclusives. I don't have any issues finding them so it's not worth the mark up.