PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone who doesn't love the Thing?

El Chuxter
06-17-2004, 02:55 PM
I picked up my Marvel Legends Thing quite a while ago, and as I marvelled at the incredible figure of such a great guy, my wife asked, "What the hell is that thing?"

"Exactly. The Thing."

"What?"

"His name's the Thing."

"He looks stupid. And that's a dumb name."

To this day, she still disparages Aunt Petunia's favorite nephew, the ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing. She'll see Fantastic Four comics on the rack and mention that the "stupid rock guy you like" is on the cover.

And recently, when she accompanied me to the comic shop and the owner had the Corman (?) FF playing on his computer to encourage fits of giggles among the customers, she didn't appreciate the literary significance of his legendary catch phrase, "It's clobberin' time!"

She grew up reading comics with her brothers, both of whom know and love the Thing. In fact, I have yet to find anyone who doesn't love him.

Is this a serious mental flaw, the sign of a deeply disturbed individual?

I'm not kidding when I say EVERYONE loves the Thing. Forget Raymond. Say what you will about Jubilee, bears, pirates, whatever. You cannot dislike ol' Benjamin Grimm and live a fulfilling life, at least not in this plane of existence.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-17-2004, 03:16 PM
She'll see Fantastic Four comics on the rack and mention that the "stupid rock guy you like" is on the cover.

that's hilarious! :D

you sure know how to paint the mental pictures chux!

but I must say that "Everyone loves the Thing" is a great and true catchphrase and the marvel legends figure of him is quite honestly AWESOME!

He's better than the hulk too because he's got a brain in there, unlike hulk who reverts to stupidity when he's in his greeness.

darthvyn
06-17-2004, 03:45 PM
he's better than the hulk because he's orange, too, not green... bleah, green like brussels sprouts!

chux... you must destroy her now. i'm sorry, there's no other way. she doesn't like the Thing, which probably means she's a skrull. you're married to an alien bent on inter-galactic domination.

she's green underneath...

El Chuxter
06-17-2004, 04:29 PM
A Skrull? I was afraid of that. :(

Do I have to destroy her? She's a really great cook. And others have lived happily married to evil creatures. I mean, the Human Torch himself had a Skrull wife for a while. And Ms Khan loved Genghis, always making him chocolate chip cookies to eat while conquering the land. And Nicole loved OJ. . . maybe not the best example.

sith_killer_99
06-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Do I have to destroy her? She's a really great cook.

How's her lasagna? That's the real test. Will she cook you lasagna and bring it to you at work? If she is an evil Skrull, but she loves you enough to do that, then you can forgive her almost anything, even if she has a stong dislike for The Thing.

Like Sammantha Fox used to say "Naughty girls need love too".

El Chuxter
06-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Oddly enough, she has made lasagna and brought it to me at work. And it's scrum-diddly-umptious!

I suppose I can overlook such an inhuman trait as dislike for the Thing.

Isn't it in the Constitution somewhere? "We don't know who the Thing is, but we love him, and want everyone to know. Oh, and free speech, yadda yadda."

Rogue II
06-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Do you mean this Thing? (http://www.badboyztoyzz.com/thing.html)

:crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Ok, i'll be the first to say it: i loathe the Thing. I always found him INCREDIBLY lame and bleh. He never really impressed me. Every time i envison him, i get a low budget pic of him from the Corman version and i just giggle.

Lame character. I'm a Hulk fan all the way though. :D

darthvyn
06-17-2004, 11:24 PM
Ok, i'll be the first to say it: i loathe the Thing. I always found him INCREDIBLY lame and bleh. He never really impressed me. Every time i envison him, i get a low budget pic of him from the Corman version and i just giggle.

Lame character. I'm a Hulk fan all the way though. :D

man, frikkin' skrulls are everywhere...

Kidhuman
06-18-2004, 12:03 AM
KIll em all. How can you not Love Benji Grimm? He is the epitmy of AWESOMENESS. The only thing that could make him better is a beard. Skrulls everywhere.

Chux, forgive the woman, she uis unlearned in the vast world of comic books. The thing is the onlyreason why FF comics have made it. It sure wasnt because someone can stretch or turn invisible. Torch is a cry-baby.The Thing just kicked @ss and took no names. HUlk, bleck to him.

JediTricks
06-18-2004, 02:07 AM
Rogue, that is not a Thing, that is one of Rommel's Afrika Korps Kubelwagens rebadged and sold to unsuspecting hippies who didn't realize their groovy peace machine was designed to further the evil Nazis across a foreign continent. :p

BTW, I think this FF character sucks, he's a lame, cigar-chomping oafish goofball.

"Fantastic Four, what are your roles in the team?"
"I'm super smart and can stretch my body into amazing shapes."
"I can turn invisible, and I'm also a girl!"
"I catch on fire at will and can throw fireballs."
"I'm a big slow moron who's strong and unattractive."
"Uh huh. Mr Thing, did the outerspace radiation make you, um... well... you know, less smart?"
"Naw, I was always pretty dumb."
"Oh! If I may ask, why did Reed Richards bring you along then?"
"Uhhh... 'cause I'm strong? I dunno. Reed said I was supposed ta help pilot the rocket, but look how well that turned out! HAW HAW!"
"You don't say. So should I not ask why you only wear underpants?"

darthvyn
06-18-2004, 09:47 AM
(jeditricks is a skrull!)

i'd like ya to come down ta yancy street talkin' like that, jt...

El Chuxter
06-18-2004, 11:55 AM
JT, everyone knows that Benji was an ace pilot and was a hero in World War II. And since Marvel refuses to ever clean up backstories, it makes him really damn old (and same with Mr Fantastic, who also served in WWII, and Dr Doom, who knew Reed as a teenager). They just like to, uh, not really acknowledge those stories at all anymore. We called it "Liefeldization." ;)

I know my wife must be a Skrull, but having never seen JediTricks or Jedi Master Guyote, how do we know for sure they are? I think Guyote is a Mole Person and JT is a Doombot.

Kidhuman
06-18-2004, 12:01 PM
I know my wife must be a Skrull, but having never seen JediTricks or Jedi Master Guyote, how do we know for sure they are? I think Guyote is a Mole Person and JT is a Doombot.

How crap, that is hilarious. JT, is wearing a mask while JMG is shriveled up in the darkness of Ohio.

JediTricks
06-18-2004, 06:02 PM
You know, for a reformed gang leader, Ben Grimm sure talks an awful lot about Yancy Street (with a name like that, you know they caught a lot of beatings from the other gangs 'cause of dat sissy name). :p

El Chuxter
06-18-2004, 06:05 PM
You know, for a reformed gang leader, Ben Grimm sure talks an awful lot about Yancy Street (with a name like that, you know they caught a lot of beatings from the other gangs 'cause of dat sissy name). :p

Spoken like a true Doombot. :mad:

I'm on to you, buddy!

JediTricks
06-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Somehow, I don't think I'll have a hard time outmaneuvering The Thing, either mentally or physically. It's time to make some orange gravel!

Kidhuman
06-18-2004, 07:57 PM
Headbutt all the Doombots, Skrulls and Molemen I say.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-19-2004, 10:13 PM
Well, The Thing does have some good points, of which I will conveniently ignore in favor of negative ones! :p

Which pun is worse for The Thing?
a) He rocks!
b) Never take him for granite.
c) Stone cold, the best hero.
d) Orange you glad this is the last choice?

A dinky nose and protruding uni-brow aren't becoming a superhero.

And finally, I have five words:

"Thing ring, do your thing!"

derek
06-19-2004, 11:30 PM
this photo always makes me smile:

mabudonicus
06-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Just remember in the midst of all this Grimm celebration, that the Man Thing movie is coming out this fall, and if they make a 12" version of him (I just had to, I couldn't stop, but I won't continue either ;))

And KH is right, he would be cooler with a :beard: maybe one made outta copper :)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-20-2004, 10:34 AM
One thing (pun painfully intended) I have noticed in this thread, is that no one has noted the fact that "The Thing" is obviously a rip-off of Dark Horse's Concrete! How convenient. I mean, they just change his color from gray-brown to orange, give him clothing, and you've got an "original" superhero. Sad, really, that no one is creative anymore.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to try and find those classic Transformers toys at TRU. Those things are totally radical!

jjreason
06-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Classic Marvel characters are so funny, the good guys always fall into one of such a few groups: guys you admire (Cap, Thor, Reed, Tony Stark, etc) and guys you empathize with (Parker, Thing, etc). The "human" sides of the latter group are always being explored more deeply than the others, because exposing their problems leads the reader find common ground with them. Simple, but effective manipulation. I think the affinity for the second group is always going to be higher. Not liking the Thing's character would be akin to not liking sunlight in my opinion.

That being said, the early FF issues showcase some pretty hysterical gender role portrayals. Here's a quote from FF 46 (which I read a reprint of last night) - "Stop sounding like a wife and grap me that gun, lady!" Believe it or not, that line was spoken by REED RICHARDS of all people! I nearly peed my pants.

Reefer Shark
06-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Bah! Celebrate Benjamin Grimm while you can... Doom will make certain your insolence will not go unpunished!

jjreason
06-21-2004, 04:06 AM
Smashing avatar you got there, Reefer Shark. :cool:

I think I'm going to have to jump on the FF bandwagon here.

Kidhuman
06-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Yo better JJ and do it quick before this train leaves the station.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-21-2004, 04:46 PM
I call dibs on H.E.R.B.I.E. then!

- I remember a cross-over with Shogun Warriors and the FF.
- I remember when Ben was mad at the team and always walked around with that trenchcoat. Too many scary probabilities there. :eek:
- I remember the "What If?" series where Spider-Man joined them.

And now, I don't remember nuthin'.

Reefer Shark
06-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Smashing avatar you got there, Reefer Shark. :cool:

Thanks! I'll ride this FF train for a little while myself.

btw: That pic from the Corman flick was hilarious! I busted a gut just looking at it. Thanks Derek :smoker:

JediTricks
06-22-2004, 05:39 PM
How is it that DC never sued Marvel over Mr Fantastic being a rip-off of the '40s comics character "Plasticman"? Granted, Plasticman sucks, but still...

mabudonicus
06-24-2004, 01:03 PM
I think the Man- and Swamp- thing similarities prove that such a lawsuit wouldn't work somehow..... not sure how exactly, but........

:beard:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-24-2004, 01:07 PM
I think the Man- and Swamp- thing similarities prove that such a lawsuit wouldn't work somehow..... not sure how exactly, but........

For some reason, i don't think there is a lot of money to be won in those lawsuits. "We hereby declare that Swamp Thing is a rip of off Man Thing. We hereby award the Swamp Thing.....38.50. thank you." :crazed:

El Chuxter
06-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Man-Thing actually debuted a month or two before Swamp Thing. Given the lead time on comics, they were developed independently. But if there were a lawsuit, DC would pay Marvel.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-24-2004, 05:42 PM

I LOVE SWAMP THING. That's one of my fav movies too!

Ahhhhhhhh, Swampy :kiss:

Kidhuman
06-24-2004, 09:51 PM
The Thing would kick both their a$$es at the same time.

JediTricks
06-25-2004, 07:55 PM
The Thing in the upcoming FF movie has been cast... it's the Commish, Michael Chicklis. I think he's too soft an actor, too sensitive, but I haven't been watching The Shield so maybe he's better at being gruff than he seems.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-26-2004, 12:56 AM
The Thing in the upcoming FF movie has been cast... it's the Commish, Michael Chicklis. I think he's too soft an actor, too sensitive, but I haven't been watching The Shield so maybe he's better at being gruff than he seems.

OMG, he's grade A, number one, bald, sexy, bad a**! This is totally cool, I"m gonna love seeing him in a different role! :D He's one of my fav actors.

plasticfetish
06-26-2004, 05:42 AM
The Thing in the upcoming FF movie has been cast... it's the Commish, Michael Chicklis.
When my wife pointed this out to me I said, "What? The guy who played Curly on that sad Three Stooges TV movie?" I expected a bigger guy, but I could see him working out. Could turn out to be a great idea. Sure the Thing's gruff... but he's also lovable. :)

El Chuxter
02-16-2007, 02:52 PM
he's better than the hulk because he's orange, too, not green... bleah, green like brussels sprouts!

You said the word of the day!!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

2-1B
02-16-2007, 04:55 PM
I like The Thing. I still don't know what kind of a thing he is, but I like him.