PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Revolver's Contraband: GnFnR is back with a vengeance!

El Chuxter
06-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Forget whatever that psycho Axl is up to. It sounds more a new album by Slash's Snakepit (only with talent) than anything by GNR, but make no mistake: Contraband is the album Guns n Roses' fans have been waiting for since The Spaghetti Incident.

Slash has not played guitar this well in over a decade!

In case you passed on the Hulk soundtrack because it was mostly score (and what were you thinking if that's the case?), "Set Me Free" is included here, as well.

A question, though, in case anyone knows: I thought Izzy was going to be writing songs, but he wasn't credited on any of them. I know there's no bad blood there, because they thanked him in the credits, so why didn't he write nothin' for 'em? :confused:

Rocketboy
06-18-2004, 01:42 PM
I was just thinking about doing a thread on VR.

Comparing VR to Slash's Snakepit is like comparing Star Wars to Battlefield Earth.
VR is really, really good. And an amazing live show to boot.
As a die-hard STP fan and an old school GNR fan, this album truly delivers what it promises. For me, it's no STP, but a close second. Any fan of real rock music (not the Creed, Nickleback, and Pudle of Mudd type garbage) should love this album. It's been in my cd player since 8am, June 8th. :)
No idea about Izzy though.

Semi-related note: Apparently Contraband is the first cd with copy protection to hit #1. I didn't even know it was until the other day. Apparently some people have had no problems making, ummm, back-up copies.

El Chuxter
06-18-2004, 01:49 PM
I've not played mine on the computer (though I have no plans to copy it, the idea of signing an end user agreement irks me considerably), but wouldn't it be just a simple matter of hooking up audio cables to easily copy it? I don't get it. Unless every CD player in existence is retrofitted with copy protection software, I can't see how it would work.

Between that and the huge honking "FBI Warning" on both the CD and liner for John Williams' Terminal soundtrack, this whole deal is starting to tick me off.

As for Slash's Snakepit, I was certainly not suggesting they're on a level with VR, just that if Slash wasn't drunk at the time and had really, really talented musicians instead of whoever those guys in the Snakepit were (minus Gilby, who rules anyway), Snakepit would sound more like VR.

BTW, I remember they were going to release a live CD first and decided not to when it leaked out online. (Even though I'd think that would encourage, not discourage, bootlegging it.) Do you know if it'll come out anytime soon?

And what's a typical show like? All VR, or do they mix in some old GNR and STP (and maybe some Weiland, Slash, and Duff solo stuff... I just think Scott singing "Beggars and Hangers-On" would rule)?

Rocketboy
06-18-2004, 02:11 PM
First off, I found the Izzy info at belowempty.com (amazing STP and VR fansites).
Izzy Stradlin (b. Jeff Isbel on April 8, 1962; Lafayette, IN.) is a former original member of Guns N' Roses, who has jammed with Velvet Revolver when they were doing auditions for singers and pre-production for 'Contraband'. It's still unsure if any of the songs he worked on made the final cut of the album. Izzy occasionally joins the band for gigs, as he did in 2003, when he played guitar with VR and Douglas Grean at the Smashbox Fashion show. He also appeared with Camp Freddy, the band that includes VR drummer Matt Sorum.
BTW, I remember they were going to release a live CD first and decided not to when it leaked out online. (Even though I'd think that would encourage, not discourage, bootlegging it.) Do you know if it'll come out anytime soon?I'm not sure when that'll be released, if at all anymore. They decided it wasn't the best idea, because at the time they weren't even signed to a label yet, plus the bootlegging (which was horrible in quality). I wish they would release it though, because that was VR's very first concert. Rumor has it that though they have been recording every show on their tour and may release them similar to the way Pearl Jam did a few years ago.

And what's a typical show like? All VR, or do they mix in some old GNR and STP (and maybe some Weiland, Slash, and Duff solo stuff... I just think Scott singing "Beggars and Hangers-On" would rule)?If you ever seen an STP concert, multiply the energy by 5 and that is a VR show. I've yet to hear a bad review of ther concerts.
This is pretty much the setlist, with a few changes here and there:
Sucker Train Blues
Do It for the Kids
Headspace
Crackerman (STP cover)
Illegal I
It's So Easy (GNR cover)
Fall To Pieces
Big Machine
Set Me Free
Used to Love Her (GNR cover)
Slither
Sex Type Thing (STP cover)
Mr. Brownstone (GNR cover)
Negative Creep (Nirvana cover)

El Chuxter
06-18-2004, 02:20 PM
Cool! I will definitely have to check them out live if I ever have a chance. (And if they decide to release all their shows Pearl Jam-style, I will be very poor indeed. :))

Nirvana cover, eh? Do you know if they ever throw in covers of other bands? I know Duff is steeped in old punk rock, Scott is apparently a big KISS fan, and Slash digs T Rex (and does a cool homage to "Rip Off" at the beginning of one of the VR songs, but having only listened through once so far, I'm not sure which one).

Maybe Izzy will end up in that rumored other GNR/Stone Temple Pilots band, the one with Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes on lead vocals. That'd be well beyond cool.

Rocketboy
06-18-2004, 02:56 PM
They've akso played live:
Angie - Rolling Stones
Bodies - Sex Pistols
Interstate Love Song - STP

"Negative Creep" does have a studio version on the European single of "Slither" along with the live "Bodies" cover from that 1st performance. I've yet at aquire both.

"Interstate Love Song" was done acoustically (with "Slither" and "Used to Lover Her") on KROCK. You can download that acoustic set at:
http://www.illitpress.com/music.htm
It's under May 8th.
(I hope I can post that since it's not a live radio recording and not a studio album track. If I shouldn't have, I apologize)

CaptainSolo1138
06-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Though I've yet to buy the album, I agree that VR is freakin' sweet. Being a big fan of GNR and STP, there is nothing for me not to like. And their concert ranks easily in my top three!

2-1B
06-21-2004, 03:57 AM
Ehhhhhh, I loved GnFR but I didn't care much for STP so I'm kinda burned out on this already.

Don't get me wrong, my opinion on the band is very limited because I have NOT heard the album but I can tell you that I've heard that song Slither wayyy too many times and I think it's . . . boring. Scott Weiland just isn't a singer who I enjoy listening to.
What's up with that guy, is he still hooked on H ? I saw a recent pic of them and he looked . . . unhealthy.

Anyway, maybe the album is good overall and I don't want to judge them based on one song (because some of my favorite bands have made bad songs and released them as singles :D ) but Slither is not very good IMO.

arctangent
06-21-2004, 09:21 AM
i have just read an interview with velvet revolver in which duff and slash mention that originally izzy was going to join the group full time and they jammed for a few days but neither they nor izzy wasn't comfortable with it because it felt and sounded too much like guns n roses which isn't what any of them were looking for, so izzy bowed out and dave kushner joined, giving them a more contemporary guitar sound as a counterpoint to slash's more traditional sound. they also said that they had sixty songs written before scott joined but only two or three of them made the album and most of the songs were written after he joined.

much as i like the sound of contraband and music i have heard from it, i will not be buying it. i sit in front of a computer all day, and its what i mainly play my music on, so i am not interested in buying anything that won't work on it. i think i have twice copied cd's so that my brother could hear them - and then he went and bought them anyway, so i find it VERY annoying when record companies do that.

evenflow
06-22-2004, 11:04 AM
The album is good, but it is no Guns N' Roses. I am happy to see its debut was #1.

Rocketboy
06-22-2004, 11:49 AM
What's up with that guy, is he still hooked on H ? I saw a recent pic of them and he looked . . . unhealthy. Scott is clean...for now (and hopefully for good this time).

Slither is not very good IMO.I like it, but it wasn't the best single to release, IMO.

i sit in front of a computer all day, and its what i mainly play my music on, so i am not interested in buying anything that won't work on it. As far as I know, nobody has had a problem playing it on their computer. The only problems I know of happen when you try to copy it.

arctangent
06-23-2004, 05:31 AM
As far as I know, nobody has had a problem playing it on their computer. The only problems I know of happen when you try to copy it.

perhaps i will reconsider then. i have a couple of ozzy cd's that just will not play on my mac because of the protection on them.

Jay86
06-23-2004, 03:36 PM
I grew up on STP, was just listening to them this morning. As far as this Velvet Revolver thing goes, I seemed to have missed this. I hardly ever watch TV or listen to the radio, so I didnt hear much about this. But from what I've heard, I'm gonna have to pick this one up in the very near future.

evenflow
06-23-2004, 04:08 PM
I picked up the Hollywood Rose CD the other day. If you are a GNR fan i say pick it up, its a cool thing to have.

Darkness Shroud
06-25-2004, 01:39 PM
I got the VR album and it rocks!! I love it! I was a fan of G'N'R and STP. I went to see the Snakepit back in 95 so i hope VR tour the UK soon!!:)

Rocketboy
06-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Velvet Revolver's overseas tour dates:

8/08: Skanderborg, Denmark
8/10: Helsinki, Finland
8/12: Stockholm, Sweden
8/13: Oslo, Norway
8/13-15: Hohenfelden, Germany
8/16: Berlin, Germany
8/17: Hamburg, Germany
8/19: Hasselt-Kiewit, Belgium
8/20-21: Biddinghuizen, Netherlands
8/22: Cologne, Germany
8/24: Wiesen, Austria
8/25: Munich, Germany
8/28: Konstanz, Germany
9/05: Bologna, Italy
9/07: Paris, France
9/09: Barcelona, Spain
9/10: Madrid, Spain
9/11-12: Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain

Hopefully one of theses spots aren't too far (even those not in the UK) and you can make the trip to see them.

CaptainSolo1138
06-25-2004, 11:15 PM
Hopefully one of theses spots aren't too far (even those not in the UK) and you can make the trip to see them.
I would have to say a road trip to Spain isn't even too far to go to see VR. It'd be worht it!

Darkness Shroud
06-26-2004, 05:45 AM
Thanks for that Rocketboy!! I'm tempted by a trip to Paris to see them. I dont know if you guys know or are interested but aside from the VR website's Slash has his own. It's www.slashonline.com (http://www.slashonline.com). it has some very cool stuff including live downloads!! :)

evenflow
06-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Well I missed out again on getting tiockets to see them. They are playing a club here in Jersey and it sold out in 1 min. It has the fastest sell out time for this club, they set a new record. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
09-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Hard to believe it's been about 3 months since they hit the scene. I finally picked up the CD (I seldom buy non-Star Wars CDs right when they come out), and as someone once said, "eh." It was okay, not great. When Weiland (sp?) starts mumbling the lyrics, it's hard to get into it.

p.s. They won't have to worry about me trying to copy it.

Rocketboy
09-05-2004, 12:17 AM
When Weiland (sp?) starts mumbling the lyrics, it's hard to get into it.He does do that a bit on this album. More than he ever did with STP anyway.

I still listen to Contraband quite a bit. Not as much as when it came out though.
It's just not the same as STP.

Anyone seen the video for the new single "Fall to Pieces?"
It's been one of my favorite songs on the album since my very first listen.
Great song, great video, IMO, especially if you're familiar with Scott's history.
I think it has a pretty good chance of being a big hit.

evenflow
09-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Well Izzy joined them on stage to perform the GNR covers they do.

Rocketboy
05-30-2007, 01:12 AM
After long 3 years, Velvet Revolver is finally set to release their second album, Libertad, (album cover below) on July 3rd.
I'm really digging the first single She Builds Quick Machines (video (http://video.music.yahoo.com/up/music/music/?rn=1301797&vid=43898234) / streaming audio (http://www.muchmusic.com/music/firstspin/velvetrevolver/)). It's a great rock song that shows a bit of a change since Contraband, yet still feels like VR.

Anyone else hearing it? Thoughts?
I haven't been excited about a rock album in a very long time.

El Chuxter
05-30-2007, 01:18 AM
I pre-ordered it today. I threw Hamlet onto the order, since it comes out a month later, so if it's cheaper in stores, I can cancel Libertad and get it in the store. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
05-30-2007, 01:29 AM
Good man.

There may be 2 versions of the album released.
I found one mention of it a few weeks ago, but nothing since.

'Libertad' will be released on July 3 in two formats: a CD version, which will also include the documentary and a CD/DVD version, which will feature a bonus DVD with a 30-minute documentary about the 2007 South American tour. According to the reports, the final track listing for the CD is:
1. Let It Roll
2. She Mine
3. Get Out The Door
4. She Builds Quick Machines
5. The Last Fight
6. American Man
7. Mary Mary
8. Just Sixteen
9. Can’t Get It Out Of My Head
10. For A Brother
11. Spay
12. Gravedancer
13. "Making Of Libertad" documentary (multimedia section)

El Chuxter
05-30-2007, 01:37 AM
Hopefully not three or four versions. I think it's ridiculous as hell when two different stores and iTunes all get exclusive tracks on albums.

Weren't they going to release a live album at some point recently? Given their love of covers, and the back catalog of GNR and STP, I'd imagine they'd be kick-arse live.

Rocketboy
05-30-2007, 02:03 AM
Hopefully not three or four versions. I think it's ridiculous as hell when two different stores and iTunes all get exclusive tracks on albums.Yeah, I ended up buying Contraband twice. A few weeks(months?) after the release Best Buy had an exclusive bonus cd with Negative Creep (Nirvana), Bodies (Sex Pistols), and Surrender (Cheap Trick). I'd probably rethink things today.

Weren't they going to release a live album at some point recently? They almost did before Contraband was released but changed their minds.

Given their love of covers, and the back catalog of GNR and STP, I'd imagine they'd be kick-arse live.Oh yeah, amazing live show. I'd love to see 'em again on their next tour because they'll be touring with whats left of Alice In Chains!

CaptainSolo1138
05-30-2007, 12:45 PM
I'd love to see 'em again on their next tour because they'll be touring with whats left of Alice In Chains!Has a tour been announced yet? I know they played a benefit in L.A. the other night, but is that the start of a proper tour or a one-time show?

I'm a fan of the new single as well. Quality rock and roll is pretty tough to come by these days which makes it even better.

El Chuxter
05-30-2007, 01:18 PM
RB, I thought I'd read they were going to release a carpload of live albums, Pearl Jam-style, but scaled back to one, and then I guess it didn't happen?

(Pearl Jam may have had good intentions by releasing every show they've done on CD, but it broke completists more than anything Hasbro could do with pink astromechs.)

CaptainSolo1138
05-30-2007, 01:22 PM
but it broke completists more than anything Hasbro could do with pink astromechs.)Totally off topic, but what's the complaint about it?

El Chuxter
05-30-2007, 01:43 PM
They dropped something like 25-35 double-disc live albums in a single day.

I had all of Pearl Jam's albums up until that point, but that was a bit much.

CaptainSolo1138
05-30-2007, 01:53 PM
No, I meant what's the b*tch about the pink R2 unit? It benefits someone besides themselves?

El Chuxter
05-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Ah, gotcha. I read it backwards. :crazed:

I just threw that out as an example of repaints gone wild, though something like Mace's Battalion would probably be a better example.

(BTW, read what Hasbro said about R2-KT very carefully. The Hasbro reps didn't say the proceeds from the sale of that droid would benefit any charity. They've already given a flat donation, and the figure is designed to "inspire goodwill." Pretty sneaky, trying to guilt-trip folks into buying it who might not otherwise.)

CaptainSolo1138
05-30-2007, 06:39 PM
(BTW, read what Hasbro said about R2-KT very carefully. The Hasbro reps didn't say the proceeds from the sale of that droid would benefit any charity. They've already given a flat donation, and the figure is designed to "inspire goodwill." Pretty sneaky, trying to guilt-trip folks into buying it who might not otherwise.)You're correct, because I had every intention of buying one up until now. Sneaky, sneaky.

Rocketboy
05-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Has a tour been announced yet? I know they played a benefit in L.A. the other night, but is that the start of a proper tour or a one-time show?Just confirmed a day or two ago, but no dates have been announced yet.

Chux - I hadn't heard anything recently about live albums. I've only checked the VR headlines every now and then so I may have missed it.

Kidhuman
05-30-2007, 10:50 PM
They dropped something like 25-35 double-disc live albums in a single day.

I had all of Pearl Jam's albums up until that point, but that was a bit much.

I agree with that. I thought that was freaking retarded. I couldnt believe they did that with that many live shows and all the same songs none the less.

El Chuxter
05-30-2007, 11:07 PM
I scoured the internet until I found a site that actually reviewed all of them. I found two with track listings that sounded cool and had decent reviews, and grabbed them. I probably, in retrospect, should've only gotten one. The worst thing was, since there were so many, I don't know of any store that actually got all of them.

Kidhuman
05-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Tower Records had them all.

Rocketboy
05-31-2007, 12:20 AM
I have/had the Detroit PJ show because I was there.
I listened to it once. It was just as bad on cd as it was live.

jjreason
06-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Our local "new rock" station is playing a single from the upcoming 2nd Velvet Revolver album - but I'll be damned if I can remember what it's called. It's SO STP sounding that.... well, I guess Scott Weiland has a very powerful will. Let's put it that way.

Rocketboy
06-23-2007, 10:41 PM
It should be "She Builds Quick Machines" which is the first single.
I can't wait for July 3rd!

CaptainSolo1138
06-24-2007, 09:33 AM
I can't wait for July 3rd!Why? Fireworks aren't until the next day, tard.

jjreason
06-24-2007, 09:50 AM
It should be "She Builds Quick Machines" which is the first single.
I can't wait for July 3rd!

That's exactly what it is. Great track.

Rocketboy
06-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Why? Fireworks aren't until the next day, tard.Not if you live in Bay City, Mi.! *highfive*

'tard.

2-1B
06-24-2007, 12:33 PM
well, I guess Scott Weiland has a very powerful will. Let's put it that way.

as powerful as his appetite for H ? :p

jjreason
06-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey - don't knock it 'til you tried it... he even got Buffy to dance in a video with him!!!! lol

No kids, you shouldn't shoot heroin just so you can knock it. I was just kidding.

Rocketboy
06-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat123700050004&DCMP=rdr0001048) has 4 tracks you can stream:
"She Build Quick Machines"
"The Last Fight"
"She Mine"
"Spay"
:thumbsup:

And as you can see on the link, Best Buy will have an exclusive 30 minute DVD with Libertad.

They will also be on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno on June 28th and Jimmy Kimmel Live on July 12th.

El Chuxter
06-25-2007, 09:54 PM
No word on any bonus tracks? I might just get it wherever it's cheapest. In my experience, I never watch the bonus DVDs.

Rocketboy
06-25-2007, 10:21 PM
That was the first I've heard of any bonus material.

I...uhhh...acquired...a copy of the album little while ago, but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Probably won't be able to until the morning.

Rocketboy
06-26-2007, 04:35 PM
I have heard Libertad and it is glorious.

I don't want to oversell it, but this could be the greatest rock album of all time.
;)

There isn't a single song on there that I didn't love on the very first listen, a feat that is pretty rare for me these days. Each and every one could be a single.

As big of an STP fan as I am, it is almost hard for me to admit this, but I think that this album is better than most of the STP albums.

Rocketboy
06-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Listen to Libertad. (http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/cc-common/mfeatures/velvetrevolverSP/)

Rocketboy
07-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Well, who picked it up and what do you think?

CaptainSolo1138
07-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Well, who picked it up and what do you think?Some guy came over and gave me a burned copy of it that's still sitting in the end table unlistened to.

2-1B
07-17-2007, 07:02 PM
But I heard it's good listening while reading bootlegged pages of Harry Potter 7 ? lol

Seriously though, I've not heard the record. I did however hear the first single on the radio a few days ago and I thought it was wholly unimpressive, not bad but very Meh. I've always found Scott Weiland to be a bit of a tool, though.

El Chuxter
07-18-2007, 01:12 AM
I got it about a week ago, but due to an odd turn of events, haven't listened to it yet.

Rocketboy
07-18-2007, 02:34 AM
You're all dead to me.

Cappy, Cae, and Cux are all dead to RB.

El Chuxter
07-18-2007, 11:16 AM
So, you'd prefer I listen to it when I can't give it my full attention?

Rocketboy
07-18-2007, 11:33 AM
I'd prefer you jerks listen to it.

Rocketboy
09-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Talk about depressing...
Out of curiousity, I looked up Libertad's sales so far.
After 2 1/2 months - approx. 300,000 units sold.

This is easily the best rock album I've heard in a few years and it is practically being ignored. And its far better than Contraband, which went double platinum.

Personally, I blame Nickelback and their boring version of rock, with all of their songs sounding the same and being about what its like to be white trash.

In a world where a movie Wild Hogs is a huge hit and a movie like Norbit grosses nearly $100 million, I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the music industry.

El Chuxter
09-18-2007, 12:41 PM
I wonder if iTunes sales count in there. I like the physical CD for something like this, but iTunes did have exclusive tracks that were only available if one bought the entire album there. I'm sure many went that route.

Personally, I'm getting frigging sick of these "bonuses" that are different at each of four or five retail outlets. I bought a Johnny Cash CD several months ago, and got it at WM (despite my hatred for WM for all non-toys) because there was a bonus track. Opened it, listened to it, loved it... and found out a day later that Target had two different bonus tracks. And I believe Best Buy had yet another one. Christ, what is the problem with the labels? They b**** that sales are down, then not only overprice the CDs but do crap like this that basically begs people to illegally download the tracks? I wonder what Rodger Flantdig's title is at Universal-Sony-Atlantic-Columbia Conglomerate Records.

Rocketboy
09-18-2007, 12:46 PM
I got all the song not on Libertad via other means.

2-1B
12-27-2007, 09:42 PM
VR is playing a Friday night gig in Milwaukee next month...I'm considering going.

Rocketboy
12-28-2007, 05:08 PM
You should. They put on an awesome show.

CaptainSolo1138
12-28-2007, 07:47 PM
You should. They put on an awesome show.
I agree. And their roadies are quick to hand each member of the band's copy of the setlist that they used during the show (I believe it was Duff's that I got).:thumbsup:

Rocketboy
03-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Found this post on an STP message board, which is a post via a VR board, so I can't guarantee the authenticity:

Hi All,
in total shock tonight.At the Glasgow gig Scott announced "you're witnessing something very special here tonight, the last Velvet Revolver tour". He also refered to the crowd as "stinking individuals " during Sex Type Thing.The rest of the guys didn't look to happy.They took ages to come back on for the encore and when they did Duff started singing "it's so easy" by himself until Scott eventually came on stage.Good gig,great set but there is something going on ! Feel a wee bit sad really.If true, at least we got two awesome rock albums out of it.
And I'm not too bummed because I'm getting STP back (hopefully for a while)!

El Chuxter
03-21-2008, 12:48 AM
For those of us who were more GNR fans, it kinda sucks. Hopefully the rest of the band will stick together. Maybe Scott can go back to STP, and Izzy can take his place (he's not as powerful as Scott, but he's a much better singer than he usually gets credit for).

Rocketboy
03-21-2008, 10:29 AM
There was one time Scott "missed his flight" and VR performed anyway with Duff on vocals (like the other night) and even inviting some fans to sing. Apparently Duff wasn't too bad, so with some vocal tweaking of the songs (since Duff isn't Scott) they could continue.

I'm still pretty disappointed about this news since the VR albums were two of the best rock albums I've heard in years. I was really looking forward to more, but as I said earlier, the return of STP softens the blow for me.

El Chuxter
03-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Duff's not a horrible singer. It's just Izzy is better. Plus, it would be nice to get all the sane members of the original GNR who haven't suffered massive drug-induced strokes together again.

Gilby could fill in, too. He's almost as good as Izzy. But he's not an original.

I'd argue that the two VR albums are so good because they're the "real" Guns n Roses, returned to the limelight after a decade. :D I love STP, but I think GNR would've been the best band of (at least) the 90s if all the drama related to Axl being a lunatic hadn't happened. Appetite is still one of the greatest albums ever recorded, and the Illusion records showed some amazing branching out. Unfortunately, since GNR Lies was just two EP's put together (one being pre-Appetite) and The Spaghetti Incident was a hurried mishmash of covers, they really only had the two albums. :(

Rocketboy
03-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Not much of an argument here - before STP came along GNR was my favorite band, so I was pretty much predestined to love VR.

Rocketboy
03-22-2008, 03:08 AM
Sounds like things are getting nasty in VR, especially between Scott Weiland and Matt Sorum (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=93414):

VELVET REVOLVER frontman Scott Weiland has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"Responding to our drummer's [Matt Sorum] rant about why the band is in a state of flux:

"Well, first of all, the state of my family affairs is really none of his business, since he is too immature to have a real relationship, let alone children. So don't attempt to stand in a man's shoes when you haven't walked his path. Secondly, 'keeping rock 'n' roll alive?' I've made many attempts to remain cordial with the members of VR, but mainly, the likes of you. Funny though — this is your FIRST band, as opposed to being a hired gun. I've been making records (now on my ninth), which have sold over 35 million copies worldwide and have maintained a level of professionalism regardless of how many drugs I've ingested into my system. I have only cancelled one tour during the entire course of my 16-year run and that was the 'make-up' Australia tour. Now, shall I open that can of worms, Matthew? Release the Kraken? Serve... Volley! You cancelled the Aussie tour in the fall because you went to rehab, but I won't say why… we'll just let Blabbermouth find out for themselves.

"As for our fans — I will sweat, bruise, and bleed for you. And will continue to do so until the end of this tour. However, you deserve to hear VELVET REVOLVER playing… not certain individuals singing along to get a muddied up sound. God forbid — could one imagine if I grabbed a guitar and started soloing along with Slash? That would never happen because I know my place. It's a shame… we were a gang. But ego and jealousy can get the better of anyone. I wish the best and plan to annihilate the stage in the last few shows.

"On a separate note, we did an STP [STONE TEMPLE PILOTS] photo shoot before this tour and it was fun, inspiring and it gave me that thrill — that feeling that got my rocks off from the get-go."

According to several fan accounts and online media reports, Scott Weiland stunned fans at last night's (Thursday, March 20) VR concert in Glasgow, Scotland, UK by dropping a huge hint the band's time may be up.

He told the sell-out crowd: "You're watching something special... the last tour by VELVET REVOLVER."

In an online posting from earlier today, Matt Sorum stated about the Glasgow concert, "So last night was interesting. Had a little band turmoil on stage, as you probably all could tell.

"Being in a band is a lot like being in a relationship. Sometimes you just don't get along. I guess there has been more turmoil lately, I guess, with the cancellations and all. It has been frustrating, I am not going to lie.

"My career and life in rock 'n' roll has come with its ups and downs. Unfortunately, some people in this business don't realize how great of a life they have. Touring the world, meeting great people and fans all over the world. And just playing music for a living. I feel truly blessed. But sometimes the road can be draining for some. Being away from home and family does grind on you sometimes. With all the travelling and different beds. Personally, I love this **** and sometimes can’t believe I am so lucky to still be doing what I do for a living.

"Everybody could see who was unhappy last night, but all I can say is let's keep the rock alive, people!!!! In this life, you just pick up and keep moving. And don't ever let anybody stand in your way."

Weiland, who recently spent time in rehab at an undisclosed location, has struggled with substance abuse problems for more than a decade, although was reportedly clean for nearly four years until a few months ago. Questions about his condition flared in January when he missed a VELVET REVOLVER performance at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah, claiming transportation problems.

Weiland will reunite with his STONE TEMPLE PILOTS bandmates for the first time this spring/summer for a number of shows, including an appearance at the Rock on the Range festival, to be held May 17-18 at Columbus, Ohio's Columbus Crew Stadium.Ouch!

El Chuxter
03-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Wouldn't Matt being a "hired gun" be a matter of perspective in a few of those? I'm sure he had no connection with Y Kant Tori Read, and possibly not The Cult, but I'd consider him a band member in GNR. And definitely in Neurotic Outsiders.

Rocketboy
04-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Adding fuel to the fire that STP is back for good:

Velvet Revolver to part ways with singer (http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080401006700&newsLang=en)
LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE (http://www.businesswire.com/))--Velvet Revolver founding members Slash, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum and Dave Kushner announced today that they are parting ways with singer Scott Weiland. "This band is all about its fans and its music and Scott Weiland isn't 100% committed to either," said Slash. "Among other things, his increasingly erratic on-stage behavior and personal problems have forced us to move on."The band's final show with Scott Weiland is tonight.
In light of recent events this news isn't much of a surprise, but it is still very bittersweet news for me. Contraband and Libertad were the two best rock albums I've heard in years (especially the latter). I was really looking forward to the future of VR.
But if I have give up VR to have my STP back, then so be it.

El Chuxter
04-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Sounds like VR will be continuing without Weiland, though, which is good news. Wonder who will fill in?

JetsAndHeels
04-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Sounds like VR will be continuing without Weiland, though, which is good news. Wonder who will fill in?

Axl Rose, of course.

Maradona
04-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Axl Rose, of course.

Considering that his version of GnR could be called "Axl & A Bunch of Guys Who Aren't Slash," maybe this will eventually be in the cards. I've always thought that a reunion would happen around the time of their Hall of Fame induction. They're the biggest name band left to reunite that probably will (I doubt the Smiths ever would).

Rocketboy
04-01-2008, 11:08 PM
I think there is still too much bad blood between Axle and Slash for a GNR reunion to happen anytime soon.

El Chuxter
04-01-2008, 11:24 PM
I think there's too much insane in Axl for anything good to happen with him.

Maradona
04-02-2008, 01:03 AM
They don't qualify for Hall entry (which to me has lost its credibility) until 2012. By then, 25 years will have passed.

If Dave and Eddie can patch it up...

2-1B
04-02-2008, 01:09 AM
VR should get Sebastian Bach.

El Chuxter
04-02-2008, 02:22 AM
That's not a bad suggestion, Caesar. I'm not sure if you were being serious, but I am. Skid Row and GNR had some history. And now with Sebastian being one of the best vocalists without a job, and VR being one of the best bands without a vocalist....

Sammy Hagar or Gary Cherone would be cool, too, though there's not nearly the history there. I love Diamond Dave (well, less with each year, but his early stuff is awesome), but Sammy has been far more consistent and professional, and Gary is so underrated it's not funny. (And how cool would it be for a guy to be in bands with Nuno Bettencourt, Eddie Van Halen, and Slash?)

Maradona
04-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Maybe VR will pull an INXS and set up a reality tv show to pick their next singer...
:grin:

El Chuxter
04-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Gilby already prostituted himself out that way on Rock Band.

Maradona
04-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Weiland suggests Bach:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1584615/20080402/velvet_revolver.jhtml

This is ugly.

CaptainSolo1138
04-02-2008, 11:46 AM
"...and the illustrious 'Guitar Hero,' Saul Hudson..."
Awesome. Totally awesome.

2-1B
04-02-2008, 06:40 PM
That's not a bad suggestion, Caesar. I'm not sure if you were being serious, but I am. Skid Row and GNR had some history. And now with Sebastian being one of the best vocalists without a job, and VR being one of the best bands without a vocalist....

I was being very serious because I think 'Bas is a great singer. Whether or not he would be a prima dona, well that I don't know...

Sammy Hagar or Gary Cherone would be cool, too, though there's not nearly the history there. I love Diamond Dave (well, less with each year, but his early stuff is awesome), but Sammy has been far more consistent and professional, and Gary is so underrated it's not funny. (And how cool would it be for a guy to be in bands with Nuno Bettencourt, Eddie Van Halen, and Slash?)

I love Gary Cherone but I don't see him ever landing in an established band ever again. He is too stained by the bad VH press. That's not his fault but it's the reality. I'd like to see him back with Extreme someday or in another new band.

Sammy would be cool but he's got a pretty successful solo thing going.

Rocketboy
04-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Wow. It's gettin' dirty.
I'm on Scott's side.

El Chuxter
04-03-2008, 12:16 AM
I figured as much.

I like you, m'man, but if it comes down to it, I'd side with the collective members of GNR over Weiland any day.

Rocketboy
04-03-2008, 12:34 AM
I will fight you to the death.

2-1B
04-03-2008, 12:49 AM
I'd fight Scott Weiland to death...all I'd have to do is wait it out a little while.