PDA

View Full Version : VH1's 100 Greatest Hard Rock Artists: another stupid list for us to complain about!

El Chuxter
06-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Enjoy!

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Black Sabbath
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. AC/DC
5. Metallica
6. Nirvana
7. Van Halen
8. The Who
9. Guns N' Roses
10. KISS
11. Aerosmith
12. Sex Pistols
13. Queen
14. Soundgarden
15. Pink Floyd
16. Cream
17. Ramones
18. Ozzy Osbourne
19. The Clash
20. Alice Cooper
21. Pearl Jam
22. Deep Purple
23. Judas Priest
24. Iron Maiden
25. Cheap Trick
26. Motorhead
27. Iggy Pop
28. Rush
29. Mötley Crüe
30. Red Hot Chili Peppers
31. Def Leppard
32. The Doors
33. Rage Against The Machine
34. Alice in Chains
35. Jane's Addiction
36. Frank Zappa
37. Yardbirds
38. MC5
39. Neil Young & Crazy Horse
40. Stone Temple Pilots
41. Ted Nugent
42. The Kinks
43. Nine Inch Nails
44. ZZ Top
45. Pantera
46. Scorpions
47. The Rollins Band
48. Janis Joplin
49. Smashing Pumpkins
50. Slayer
51. Thin Lizzy
52. Faith No More
53. Korn
54. Sonic Youth
55. Blue Oyster Cult
56. White Zombie
57. Heart
58. Anthrax
59. Bad Company
60. New York Dolls
61. Jethro Tull
62. Ministry
63. Boston
64. Steppenwolf
65. The Cult
66. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
67. Rolling Stones
68. Husker Du
69. Megadeth
70. Living Colour
71. Lynyrd Skynyrd
72. Foo Fighters
73. Twisted Sister
74. Pat Benatar
75. Spinal Tap
76. Bon Jovi
77. Hole
78. Marilyn Manson
79. Ratt
80. Green Day
81. Pixies
82. Queensryche
83. King's X
84. UFO
85. Whitesnake
86. Foreigner
87. King Crimson
88. Tool
89. Lita Ford
90. Rainbow
91. Danzig
92. The Black Crowes
93. Lenny Kravitz
94. Yes
95. Fugazi
96. Meat Loaf
97. Primus
98. Mountain
99. Bad Brains
100. Quiet Riot

Here's just a few of my beefs with this list:

Pink Floyd, Cream, ZZ Top, Janis Joplin, Frank Zappa, the Yardbirds, Neil Young, Jethro Tull, Primus, Lenny Kravitz, and the Black Crowes: this is the 100 greatest WHAT exactly? I left several off this list because I can see how they could be convincingly argued to be hard rock, but you cannot twist that to include Neil Young, for God's sake! If he's here, why not U2, John Mellencamp, even friggin' Barry Manilow?

Led Zeppelin should not be #1, nor should they be counted twice. (The Yardbirds changed their name to Led Zeppelin, so this is really the "99 Greatest.") I love 'em, but ripping off old blues tunes and playing them louder doesn't make you the best. (I'd be fine with #2.)

Nirvana outranked Van Halen, the Who, GnFnR, Aerosmith, Queen, etc, etc, etc?

Why is Spinal Tap on here? Nothing against them, but come on!

There are a few of these I've never heard of, and more I've never heard. Are they really the "greatest"?

Green Day, Korn, Hole, Ratt, and Marilyn Manson actually showed up? And yet Tesla, Great White, Live, and Extreme didn't?

I love KISS, but I can't tell you how over-ranked they are here.

The Pixies? Including them in the definition of "hard rock" opens the door to a lot of alternative bands who should also be listed but aren't.

Anthrax seems to be quite low, as do Bon Jovi and Steppenwolf.

Kidhuman
06-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Good Lord...King Crimson getting out ranked by Bon Jovi and Boston? WTF is this crap. You said it, Another list for us to beyatch about.

Bacta Beast
06-18-2004, 06:41 PM
El Chuxter, I pretty much agree with your gripe, word for word. But I have to admit I have a big thing for both Boston, and Bon Jovi. I think, in my humble opinion, that Boston fits the term, and I think Jovi can slide in. And if part of the "Greatest" criteria was the amont of star power of a band, then I think it's easy to see why thay ranked higher. No disrespect meant to King Crimson at all. But I certainly agree that there are names on here that shouldn't be, and other's that should.

P.S. To understand why I justify Jovi's place on this list, one should listen to "Fear" from Keep the Faith, our "Bounce" from the album of the same name.
"Undivided" is another one.

Rogue II
06-18-2004, 07:37 PM
I was going to mention that the only member of the Yardbirds that was in Led Zeppelin is Jimmy Page. Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck were also Yardbirds. But, I did a little research on www.rockhall.com and found that "Page assembled a “New Yardbirds” in order to fulfill contractual obligations that, once served, allowed him to move on to his blues-based dream band, Led Zeppelin." So, I guess it depends on your point of view.;)

Did these fools even define "Hard Rock"? I think they encompassed every flavor of rock by including Korn, Neil Young, and Nirvana. There are at least 6 bands I've never heard of on the list. And considering some of the bands on there, why isn't John Meloncamp on the list?

Bacta Beast
06-18-2004, 07:45 PM
John who? Do you mean Jovi? He's #78 I think.

Rogue II
06-18-2004, 09:06 PM
John who? Do you mean Jovi? He's #78 I think.

NOOOOO! I meant to say Melloncamp.

I must have hit the wrong button somewhere. :ermm:

Exhaust Port
06-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Pink Floyd, Cream, ZZ Top, Janis Joplin, Frank Zappa, the Yardbirds, Neil Young, Jethro Tull, Primus, Lenny Kravitz, and the Black Crowes.
Once again it seems that being "influenced" by means equal to the originator of this list. Lenny Kravitz I'm sure found some guidance in some earlier Hard Rock bands but does that mean he's measurable among his peers? Nope.

I might be willing to say a small vote of Yes for Neil Young for a few of his songs but I'd give him a stronger vote of No because it wasn't his genre during his career.

I would give ZZ Top a Yes vote though.

Bacta Beast
06-18-2004, 10:00 PM
I agree that the way they did this list Mellencamp could have made it, but I don't feel that he fits that category in truth. Yes, ummm maybe. It's that word "Hard" that helps narrow it down some. Or at least it should have.

DarthBrandon
06-18-2004, 11:03 PM
This list is a joke & another reason why I don't respect them, the orders are wrong, players missing & some who shouldn't even be there at all. I've listened to hard rock all my life & I can truly say this is a farce IMO. With some of the players on the list, they should have just called it rock & roll. What's next a list for greatest Heavy Metal bands that include M.J. & M.C. Hammer? :rolleyes:

Darth Jax
06-19-2004, 01:36 AM
i saw this recently and carmen electra was the host. but i remember seeing it about a year ago as well (or something extremely similarly titled) with the same top 10, but meat loaf was #99 on that list.

mabudonicus
06-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Ahhh, yeah, where is the original "round mound of sound", Meatloaf???

this list is obvious bunk, manowar got beat by every stinking act on the list (and the good ones too)
:beard:

2-1B
01-21-2008, 09:09 PM
At least they showed Motorhead some respect at number 26. :lemmy:

CaptainSolo1138
01-23-2008, 08:10 AM
And Rainbow at #90 :dio:

Mad Slanted Powers
01-23-2008, 09:30 AM
I saw this when it came out and was happy to see Fugazi on there. I don't have a problem with the Pixies being on there. Without them there wouldn't be Nirvana on the list either. Overall I thought it was an okay list. Every list is subjective. So many of the places could easily be rearranged, and there are plenty of bands that were left off. There weren't any bands on there I hadn't at least heard of.