PDA

View Full Version : OT DVDs-how will you buy???

Darth Alex
06-21-2004, 08:19 PM
I thought I'd start this thread as it's interesting to see what people's game plan is going to be.
Are you going to pre-order the DVD set and wait for it to show? Will you go shopping at midnight to get it and where? Will you buy 2, one to, ya know, keep sealed:crazed: ?
I plan on going to my local Walmart at midnight. Since about 30 people were in Montoursville practically exploding during the wait for LOTR:ROTK:2D I figure waiting in line for SW oughta be....interesting. I'm not making fun to be mean. Ask my friends, I am a HUGE geek for SW, no apologies. I love it. BUT, I figure people will probably pass out like they did during the Passion of the Christ waiting; yes, people did pass out in Williamsport pre-show on opening night.
But this will be HUGE. People will probably concieve children if they could in line to mark the occasion. People will probably start the Ep3 ticket line in celebration that night, and if I just gave you any ideas, don't hold me responsible for the consequences.
Seriously, it's Walmart for me. Outta be a madhouse. And I'll be buying 2-one for me, one for my pop.
So, how about you....?

JEDIpartner
06-21-2004, 10:31 PM
Um... with money?

2-1B
06-22-2004, 01:18 AM
I'll e-buy one to watch and one to sleep with.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-22-2004, 03:56 AM
I'll e-buy one to watch and one to sleep with.

AHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

that got a huge "GOOOOOOFAHHHHHHHHHHH-ing" laugh out of me as I read it, had to wipe spit off my monitor!

I'll use "the five finger" discount I have at Best Buy.

j/k teehee

Kidhuman
06-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Um... with money?

Will you be making your own in the basement again,or use real money? I plan on using Monopoly money.

JEDIpartner
06-22-2004, 09:42 AM
I was planning on using the Republic Credits from my Star Wars Monopoly because I think that is legal tender when buying other Star Wars products. :D

Darth Alex
06-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Um... with money?
That is funny. But if you pay with "Star Wars Money" and get back USA change, what's the exchange rate, Kenneth?:crazed:

JEDIpartner
06-22-2004, 11:45 AM
$5 on every Republic Credit.

;)

Jayspawn
06-25-2004, 10:57 AM
I'm buying my Original Trilogy DVD set at Costco. $42.99.

Dark Marble
06-25-2004, 11:59 AM
I will buy one trilogy set and will pay for it with jedi master points. Take that Hasbro. :evil:

Darth Alex
06-27-2004, 02:10 PM
I will buy one trilogy set and will pay for it with jedi master points. Take that Hasbro. :evil:
I'd send in my jedi master points to get a free copy of the original verisons of the OT on DVD-how 'bout it, Lucas?

Kidhuman
06-27-2004, 11:57 PM
I'd send in my jedi master points to get a free copy of the original verisons of the OT on DVD-how 'bout it, Lucas?

Since they dont exsist anymore, they will cost you a hell of a lot of JMP's.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-28-2004, 02:03 AM
Since they dont exsist anymore, they will cost you a hell of a lot of JMP's.

about 60 to 70 bucks on ebay. :)

vadersvette
06-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Me to the clerk:
"I'll trade ya my car for the Star Wars DVDs! Wait, wait! Don't go...I'll even through in my shirt, too! Pllleeeeeeaaaassseeee!"

Kidhuman
06-28-2004, 11:55 PM
about 60 to 70 bucks on ebay. :)

Or you can pay 25 on ebay.

:beard: (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6304371348)

Go ahead and cklick the beard Deox....you know you dont believe me. :D

JEDIpartner
06-30-2004, 11:10 AM
This is how I'm paying... I pre-ordered mine from Suncoast and I have a $10 and a $5 frequent shopper certificate as well as a $25 gift card I got from my Galactic Rewards points redemption. All told... I will be spending $10 in real currency on this.

scruffziller
06-30-2004, 12:49 PM

The item is now invalid, KH. I was lucky to snag one for about $70 and real good production from them laserdisks I might add.:)

Well I have about 250,000 creds on Star Wars Galaxies right now I could a whole gob of them but........... I think I will hold off till I can buy my Tie Interceptor.:D

bigbarada
06-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Well, I would like to just wait until the next day and pick up a set from Wal-Mart; but knowing my brother he will want to be there at midnight and he'll need someone to drive him (he has this irrational fear of driving). So, I'll probably be there at "midnight madness" to pick up a copy also.

Unless I haven't gotten around to buying another DVD player by then.

It's funny how everyone wants these movies on DVD so that they will "last forever" but no one seems to realize that the plastic used to make DVDs actually degrades faster than VHS tapes. So if you only watch your VHS versions once in a blue moon, they will actually outlive your DVDs.

The best advice if you want a version of the movie that will "last forever" is to save it onto a computer harddrive.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-30-2004, 02:07 PM

Of course I believe you my sweet :) I got mine for 30, but awhile ago. I just was looking at ebay the other day and I noticed several copies were going between 60 to 70 and I thought myself very lucky! Glad you got lucky too! Lemme know how you like em if you get a chance.

I'm SO glad to have these orginals and they are my first orginal set on widescreen (have only fullscreen on vhs or the orginals)

Power to the PEOPLE! ;)

Kidhuman
06-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Every other set was like 60 bucks at least. I saw this price and jumped on it. I know I will be happy with these. How can you not be when Han shoots first?

Ji'dai
06-30-2004, 10:00 PM
I'll probably buy one widescreen version when it's released at the local Wal-Mart or Sam's Club. They seem to have the best deals on new DVD releases around here.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-01-2004, 12:35 AM
I saw this price and jumped on it. I know I will be happy with these. How can you not be when Han shoots first?

Ohhhhhhhhhh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, it is so nice to see that too!! AND it's nice to see Luke fall and NOT hear that terrible scream AND to see puppet Sy and NO Joh Yowza or hear "jedi rocks" ewwwwwwwww! And..and...and...

congrats on the buy there KH ;)

:beard:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-01-2004, 01:10 AM
I'm one of those guys who can wait patiently for movies and CDs to come my way. If it was something like the Episode II DVD, I would buy it immediatley, since it was previously unavailable but since most of us have different versions of the trilogy, I ain't in a rush to shell out all that cash.

It'll probably make a nice Christmas present. Anyone want to get it for me? :kiss:

Kidhuman
07-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, it is so nice to see that too!! AND it's nice to see Luke fall and NOT hear that terrible scream AND to see puppet Sy and NO Joh Yowza or hear "jedi rocks" ewwwwwwwww! And..and...and...

congrats on the buy there KH ;)

:beard:

and..and...and...YUB NUB!!

JEDIpartner
07-01-2004, 10:00 AM
The Ewok Celebration is the only change I saw worth doing. I HATED that song. This new ending has a little more nobility and doesn't sound like the closing number of "The Muppet Show" with "special guest star, Mr. Marty Feldman! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!" :crazed:

Kidhuman
07-01-2004, 11:41 AM
I'll probably buy one widescreen version when it's released at the local Wal-Mart or Sam's Club. They seem to have the best deals on new DVD releases around here.

I have heard from a few people that if you preorder on Wal-Mart.com you receive it the day before it comes out. Any truth to this?

A worker there also said that they might have a special deal if you buy it at midnight on Tuesday the 21st. Maybe they will give you the three packs or something, but that is hopeful thinking.

scruffziller
07-01-2004, 03:14 PM
The Ewok Celebration is the only change I saw worth doing. I HATED that song. This new ending has a little more nobility and doesn't sound like the closing number of "The Muppet Show" with "special guest star, Mr. Marty Feldman! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!" :crazed:
No way guy, the Ewok song at the end was one of the biggest reasons I wanted the OR-OT.

JEDIpartner
07-01-2004, 03:42 PM
You have your reasons... I have mine. :) I will, however, say that the little "in the background" performance of "Lapit Nek" made much more sense than that "Hey look at the freakshow" performance of "Jedi Rocks". It's not like the whole world stopped for three minutes to watch the band play in Chalmun's cantina!!! :rolleyes:

JON9000
07-01-2004, 06:27 PM
It's funny how everyone wants these movies on DVD so that they will "last forever" but no one seems to realize that the plastic used to make DVDs actually degrades faster than VHS tapes. So if you only watch your VHS versions once in a blue moon, they will actually outlive your DVDs.

That's interesting. Is the plastic really that cheap? In any event, eventually HDTVs will become cheap enough to buy and so will Blue-Ray DVD technology. Then we will probably all upgrade anyway!! :greedy:

In case you have know idea what I am rambling about:

http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/hddvd/

Ji'dai
07-01-2004, 06:54 PM
I have heard from a few people that if you preorder on Wal-Mart.com you receive it the day before it comes out. Any truth to this?

I don't know about that, I usually wait to buy in-store. I've heard that Amazon ships out new DVD releases early so customers who pre-ordered get them on the actual street date. So depending on shipping times, a customer might get their DVD a day or two early. Maybe WM is doing the same thing.

A worker there also said that they might have a special deal if you buy it at midnight on Tuesday the 21st. Maybe they will give you the three packs or something, but that is hopeful thinking.

I never did shop the midnight madness for the release of Ep. I & II toys, but I might go to get the DVD commemorative figure sets. If retailers are smart, they'll have the DVD sets and OTC toys on display together.

Veers
07-14-2004, 09:33 PM
I will get mine at Wal Mart on the release date. I see no point in reserving it. There will be plenty of copies available.