PDA

View Full Version : How about American Graffiti figures?

Jayspawn
06-22-2004, 12:16 AM
I was just watching "American Graffiti" last night and was things what a cool, short line of action figures it would be! Anybody else? I was thinking about a few single and deluxe figures with cars in Star Wars Hasbro scale...

- Steve Bolander (Ron Howard)
- Kurt Henderson (Richard Dryfuss)
- Terry the Toad (Charles Martin Smith) w/ candy, comb and bottle of Old Harper
- Lorie Henderson (Cindy Williams)
- The Wolfman (Wolfman Jack) w/ mic and discs

DELUXE
- John Milner (Paul LeMat) & Carol (Mackenzie Phillips) w/ Milner's Car
- Steve's Car w/ Debbie Dunham (Candy Clark)

Just a quick line would be pretty cool methinks. They could all be posed to ride in the cars -that'd be sweet!

stillakid
06-22-2004, 12:27 AM
I'm in! It'd be cool if it came with a 45 as well, but then again, what would we play it on?

Darth Jax
06-22-2004, 12:34 AM
there have been many versions of the cars made. why do we need figures to go with them? every other line of figures that has vehicles for them, the vehicles always suffer in the realism department. and its the cars not the characters that were the stars of the movie. much like we don't need a steve mcqueen figure, just give us the mustang from bullitt; don't need nic cage, just the cars from gone in 60 seconds; etc.

stillakid
06-22-2004, 12:39 AM
there have been many versions of the cars made. why do we need figures to go with them? every other line of figures that has vehicles for them, the vehicles always suffer in the realism department. and its the cars not the characters that were the stars of the movie. much like we don't need a steve mcqueen figure, just give us the mustang from bullitt; don't need nic cage, just the cars from gone in 60 seconds; etc.

I don't know about that. The music was as big a character, if not moreso, than the cars. But in the end, both of those elements were merely vehicles (literally in one case) to advance the story about the people. Lucas used the cars and the music and the place to capture a snapshot of a specific time and attitude that once existed in our society. Every element worked together in harmony to create that image, none more important than the other.

But while action figures would be cool for some of us, methinks that the market would be fairly insignificant to a manufacturer. It would be cool to have a tiny Richard Dreyfuss though. :cool:

Darth Jax
06-22-2004, 12:47 AM
I don't know about that. The music was as big a character, if not moreso, than the cars. But in the end, both of those elements were merely vehicles (literally in one case) to advance the story about the people. Lucas used the cars and the music and the place to capture a snapshot of a specific time and attitude that once existed in our society. Every element worked together in harmony to create that image, none more important than the other.

the music managed to capture the time very well as you mention. i listen to the soundtrack often. but for me the movie starts to drag during moments of character development devoid of the cars. the only thing that holds my interest at that time is the music.

this movie is my dad's favorite. as a youngster i was subjected to countless viewings of it, many of them not entirely of my own volition. i can quote it nearly as well as i can star wars.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-22-2004, 01:09 AM
Yes and no on this. I do like the concept for this, but I also liked the recent die-cast sets (I don't know who made them or what scale--a bit bigger than hot wheels though) but didn't buy them. The problem is that there are many other toy lines that would draw my attention and money first. And a 3 3/4" line with the cars would be costly. Figure a minimum of 4-5 cars at $25-$30 a pop + figures and there won't be many sales. As stated earlier, the cars can, and have been done much better by toy car manufacturers, so I'm not sure what the point would be.