PDA

View Full Version : New Cantina 3-pack confirmed for Kmart!

Droid
06-23-2004, 02:29 PM
The official Star Wars site has this update:

It's the neighborhood bar where you don't want anyone to know your name -- the Mos Eisley Cantina. This summer, Kmart will carry an all new Cantina Aliens Scene Pack, with silver and black Original Trilogy Collection packaging. This scene includes three unsavory characters -- the homicidal Dr. Evazan, the droid-hating bartender Wuher, and the oversized mantis Kitik Keed'kak. The set comes with three sections of the bar and six stools with multiple drinking mugs to recreate the unforgettable watering hole from A New Hope.

I sure don't want to go to Kmart every day this summer, but I will! I am relieved we are finally going to get these figures.

Also, if you look carefully at the picture they have on the sight it says "Scene 1". To me that implies more sets. Are the Banniss Keeg (Duros), Bom Vimdim, Elis Herlot (Givin), Feltiperm Trevagg (Gotal), Hem Dazon (Acrona), Hrcheck Kal Fas (Saurin) rumors at Jedi Defender true? If they continue with the 3-packs these six rumored figured would constitute two more sets of three. Maybe they'll pack the figures with the rounded piece of the bar!

It would be ironic if the first Kmart set would sell so badly that the other two sets never came out, except in Europe, Ebay, and Jedi Points auctions until someday - years from now - they released the next two sets at some obscure discount store! KNOCK ON WOOD.

JEDIpartner
06-23-2004, 03:01 PM
Great news!!! I hope the K-mart up the street from work gets this!!

jjreason
06-23-2004, 04:00 PM
We're certainly due for these figures. Refresh my memory - were these 3 the exact same ones that were originally slated for Cantina Sets Wave 2? I'm sure Wuher and Kitik were, but was Evazan the third?

Dr Zoltar
06-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Excellent! I have 4 Kmarts near me so I've got a good chance of finding this. Looks like I may be able to help fellow collectors as well that don't have Kmarts near them.

Droid
06-23-2004, 04:16 PM
jjreason, Evazan was the third. I was looking forward to getting him because he appeared to be at least a slight improvement on the abyssmal Cantian Showdown Evazan.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-23-2004, 04:22 PM
This is great news! Although I rarely if ever go to kmart (I have a phobia of stores like that, including walmart, target, et. al) I'll probably get it off of ebay or the internet if Kebco doesn't offer it, which hopefully they will.

:)

droidekas2
06-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Awesome news!!
I can finally get my beloved Kitik!! Bring on more freaky aliens!!

On the new OTC packaging shown, it says "Scene 1". Does this mean another set is on its way?? Hem, Bom, and others have been rumored to be coming. Could they be in "scene 2" ?? Perhaps a curved bar section?? They did break down and provide a center floor section for the Jedi Council chamber scenes. There is hope.

Grievous
06-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Oooh, sounds good! Though my K-mart closed down a while ago there are a few within a few miles. This set will go nicely alongside the 2002 Wal-Mart sets. :)

Darth Alex
06-23-2004, 05:53 PM
I agree, great news. To finally get Kitik is very cool.
I also agree that the "Scene 1" implies more to come. If it's done right with a curved bar piece, a floor (like the Jedi Council), and more well done 1st time figures, I'm all for it and will put it on my 'must buy' list.
Minor grip-I'd eventually like to see a Ponda Baba re-issue with blaster, and seperate damaged/bloody arm. For what it's worth. NOT to encourage Hasbro to reissue Greedo, Hammerhead, and Ponda as Scene 2-THAT would not be cool.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-23-2004, 06:13 PM
Droid: I don't know what improvemnets you are referring to for Dr. Evazan. They essentially gave his clothes a little detailing with a dry brush is that appears to be different. He has the same head that in no way resembles the movie character.

Darth Alex: The Ponda Baba from the Wal-Mart cantina sets had a removable arm. I don't think we should encourage Hasbro to include Ponda Baba in any future sets, or we will kill the line.

DarthQuack
06-23-2004, 10:56 PM
I can't wait for this and or more sets to come out. The Wal-Mart near me has crappy condition ones from the first run.

Ji'dai
06-24-2004, 12:47 AM
I can't wait for this and or more sets to come out. The Wal-Mart near me has crappy condition ones from the first run.

Mine too. I wish now I'd waited and bought the crappy condition ones on clearance rather than pay full price when they first came out. But I open them anyway.

Nice to see K-Mart get an exclusive though, even nicer to see Kitik at retail.

Kidhuman
06-24-2004, 02:19 AM
I was just thinking about this today and wondering if it was gonna see the light of day. Awesome news.

dindae
06-24-2004, 02:20 AM
I'm so glad this came out before I got around to picking them up on ebay. Watch the price on those babies plummet.

evenflow
06-24-2004, 08:49 AM
Great news indeed. I can't wait to finally get Kitik. Here's hoping for more sets, but now just a release of series 1.

Devo
06-24-2004, 11:52 AM
We have so few cantina creatures at the moment. My cantina is populated mostly by episode 1 and 2 characters - a bit crap really.

kool-aid killer
06-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Sweet!!! Were getting Kittik finally! It doesnt bother me that they include the other two, its probably the best way to keep these from warming pegs, though i doubt any of the three sold individually would, its just that the first three to come out werent on many peoples must have lists. I used to work at a Kmart about three years ago and since then ive only been back inside it a couple of times. Now im going to have a good reason to return to the other hive of scum and villainy.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-24-2004, 11:33 PM
I just hope I can find these at all. I know many of you have had tremendous success at K-Mart, but all of the ones I've visited in the last year still have the same old Saga Zam Wessels. The one I have now that I moved doesn't seem to even have a place for SW figures and barely any toys at all.

If anyone ends up finding an extra set, I can pretty much guarantee I'll be needing it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-25-2004, 12:01 AM
I might sound a bit dumb here and this is AWESOME news, but K-Mart?!! C'mon Hasbleh!!! K-Mart stores close left and right around here and there are only two in my area, the first one being 20 min away. Hell, if they were THIS desperate to sell these bad boys, they could just ship the cases to my house as i got room in my garage and i could take orders and mail them out to everybody!! Meh!! Still, great news though. Honestly, i dig it. ;)

I must chuckle at the suckers who purchased their sets for hundreds of dollars off e-bay and online stores. (Nelson voice) "Ha ha!!" :crazed:

Deoxyribonucleic
06-25-2004, 12:34 AM
I might sound a bit dumb here and this is AWESOME news, but K-Mart?!! C'mon Hasbleh!!!

I was thinking the same thing when I first read this. How long's it been since K-mart had an exclusive (if ever) and had any figures in their toy aisle to boot?

plo koon 200
06-25-2004, 12:38 AM
K-Mart never had any exclusive figure sets but neither has Diamond (Sandcrawler). Hasbro is changing their direction in who gets exclusives.

However, K-mart did have those two packs like BJ and Sams Club but those really don't count.

OC47150
06-25-2004, 08:08 AM
If I remember correctly, Kmart was supposed to carry the Obi-Wan/Jedi starfighter set two years ago but passed on it at the last minute. It went to KB instead.

Of all the stores, I've had the best luck finding figures at Kmart (one in particular!) Target and Wal-Mart has been too hit and miss for most of the year; the pegs at the Targets closest to me are full of the recards and WM is the same, when they have stock. And our TRUs switched over to the new Geoffrey stores last year and they've never been the same.

mericen
06-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Around where I live most of the K-Marts stayed open. They do have quite a few Star Wars figures in them but for the most part they are leftover Clone Wars figures and a Few Battle of Yavin wave figures. One K-Mart I know must have 10-15 of the Clone War Mace Windus. I do hope they put out sets beyond the first one. It would be cool to get three more. They could put Greedo, Ponda Baba and Mowmaw Nadon one to each of the other three with the other two figures being new. I would not even be adverse to them re-releasing Lak Sivrak or Labria in one of the packs.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-25-2004, 12:38 PM
And our TRUs switched over to the new Geoffrey stores last year and they've never been the same.

I miss the old TRU, when the action figure aisles were in the back and the rows were from front to back :( Those were the good ol' days when you could actually find stuff from TRU. I barely even go there anymore because I know I'll never find anything for the most part.

Kidhuman
06-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Yeah the new TRU set ups are lame. Bring back the old aisles and aisles of smiles. The one by me is like that, but no smiles, as they just packed out about 6 cases of early 2002 stuff. Seems they got the date of midnight madness screwed up.

OC47150
06-25-2004, 01:03 PM
Geoffrey stores suck. 40 - 60 percent less stock. Maybe an 8 - 10-foot section for SW.

bigbarada
06-25-2004, 02:43 PM
K-Mart never had any exclusive figure sets but neither has Diamond (Sandcrawler). Hasbro is changing their direction in who gets exclusives.

However, K-mart did have those two packs like BJ and Sams Club but those really don't count.

Diamond had the exclusive 12" Sandtrooper in 1997 (or was it the AT-AT Driver?). Anyways, I think the Sandcrawler is their second exclusive.

I think this really is a first for K-Mart and since there is one within walking distance of my house, I'll be there often to look for this set. :cool:

JabbaGlob
06-25-2004, 04:15 PM

I don't know that Hasbro is changing their direction regarding exclusives as much as RETAILERS are. Remember, it was Target, Wal-Mart, etc. that dropped the ball on the Sandcrawler. Hasbro essentially wants to issue exclusives, but they also want to make money at the same time.

A fellow Michigander broke the news a few months ago about the exclusive Cantina set featuring Kitik and I'm totally geeked that Hasbro has finally confirmed. I can't wait for this set!

I applaud K-Mart for securing an exclusive, especially one that will be very hot!

dindae
06-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Anybody have a guess at a price point. I would say $20 to match the other recent 3 packs but since they were supposed to be 3 $10 sets I would have to say $30 unless Hasbro made a deal just to get money out of the sculpts.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Does any one know when this is supposed to start hitting stores?

As a side note, it's interesting that Target dropped the Sandcrawler, yet decided that the figure & cup combos were a great idea. I guess we won't be seeing any more exclusives through Target.

dindae
06-25-2004, 05:32 PM
I've actually been suprised that the cups haven't been as big of a bomb as I thought. The first wave is the only one that is sticking around. This may mean they reacted quickly to it being a bomb and cut the deal short or maybe they have been returned to whence they came. Maybe DarthChuckMc can help out on that.

BoShek
07-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Take that $200 Ebay scalpers! Ha.

Slicker
07-06-2004, 12:02 PM
This is outstanding. They just got through making a whole gaggle of Jabba's denizens so it's only natural to go to the cantina and make or even remake figures from there that people have been wanting for years. K-Mart as the store of choice makes little difference as almost every store is hit or miss on exclusives and just because they've come on hard times doesn't mean you won't find them (in fact some of you'll probably be writing threads in a couple of months complaining that these sets are warming the shelves). Just a few of the figures I'd like to see are: The Tonnika sisters, a new Kabe, a new Muftak, a GOOD Labria, a GOOD Nabrun Lieds, and maybe even a new BoShek for those of us who had trouble finding him (and yes some of us had trouble). Hearing of these is great news and I hope they keep producing great figures.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-06-2004, 01:13 PM
There was nothing wrong with the original versions of Labria, Nabrun Leids, Muftak and Kabe. In fact Muftak and Kabe hold up against anything being made today.

I think that Hasbro needs to keep these Cantina sets populated with only preveiously umade characters, otherwise these sets will shelf warm, just as the Wal-Mart exclusive Momaw Nadon, Ponda Baba, and Greedo sets did. I doubt the set with Wuher and Dr. Evazon would be in demand, or purchased by most of us if it did not include Kitak Keed'kak. there are so many Cantina Patrons which haven't been made, that it would be a shame to waste this opportunity by giving us already produced figures instead of new characters.

For any of those previously released figures you missed, including BoShek, I suggest checking ebay. None of these were ever scarce, and I doubt you'd have to pay more than $5-$6 for any of them. Muftak and Kabe, as mail-in exclusives are probably the scarcest, and can be purchased as a set for $10. Even etailers like Brain's Toys have these figures for decent prices. This is a better alternative than clogging the pegs, or endangering a nice concept like the Cantina sets, by rereleasing easily available figures which have already been produced. A little on-line searching and patience goes a long way. Even scarce figures like Sio Bibble are turning up now for under $10.

Beast
08-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Just a quick note that the 'Cantina Set #1' is now showing up at K-Mart's in some areas. Mostly in L.A. at the moment, but it shouldn't be too much longer. Here's some good pictures of the set from Scum and GH. :)

http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=58816
http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=3217&zoneid=2

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
08-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Well I was in K-Mart today and no Cantina sets. :(

TheDarthVader
08-12-2004, 10:54 PM
I will keep an eye out...so far nothing. I don't know if I trust the folks at my K Mart. I waited a while for the first wave of VOTC and the day that the figures finally seemed to make it (about one week ago) there were only two figures on the pegs. :( (Obi Wan and a Han Solo) What a crock!

B.
TDV

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Oh shizal yeah, kids!! Guess what Mr. Giggles found today at K-mart?!? Well, i actually had them on hold since yesterday, but i picked them up today. That's right, the CANTINA SET!!! As i saw them, a slight tear fell down my cheek...not only for the fact of my giddiness, but for all the poor suckers who shelled out hundreds of dollars for these things!! hahahahahaha!! Take that you non-patient more money than me havin' suckers!!! :crazed:

Honestly, i am REALLY happy with this set. I like how with one swipe, i got 3 sets at once, it's a lot easier than hunting for them. The sculpts are all pretty nice. Wuher looks a lot darker on his face as the shading is really shown on it. It adds for a nice effect, if you're into that sort of thing. So, keep your eyes peeled, everybody!!! cheers! :D

Hellboy
08-14-2004, 01:56 PM
I haven't really been keeping up to much on the sets so I was unaware of the all-in-one package style until just now. I agree it will be nice to get them all in one shot and that'll also keep one or 2 of the characters from peg warming.

I guess its time for me to start checking my local K-Mart again and rummaging through their messy toy isles. :rolleyes:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-14-2004, 03:02 PM
I guess its time for me to start checking my local K-Mart again and rummaging through their messy toy isles. :rolleyes:

ah, turn that frown upside down, Hellboy!! I had to go through the demilitarized zone K-Mart to find them and it makes it all the more worthwhile. It's kinda like Sam and Frodo going from the Shire to Mount Doom. Feel free to sing any hobbit songs. :crazed:

jedi master sal
08-14-2004, 09:10 PM
I found FOUR of them at one of my local KMarts. I bought three of them. One for me, and one each for two other collecting friends of mine. The fourth one had one very crushed corner on the bubble.

I like this set. I'm not thrilled with the fact that Wuhrer and Evazan were repacked, but I suppose hasbro neede to liquidate these figs somehow. Explains why we're getting yet another Ponda Baba in the second Cantina 3 pack. Still, I'm excited at having found them.

And yeah, I too relish in the fact that some impatient people now look like suckers for paying multiple hundreds of dollars for one action figure. I'll never understand that. Notice too that Kitik's price has fallen quite a bit on eBay. Once I found out about this three pack, I started watching the price of this fig on eBay for fun, just to see the depreciation happen. ha ha ha

It's kinda like someone paying $5,000 for a mint Vlix fig. Yikes, that character wasn't even in the movies, just the droid cartoon. Folks get over it. It's only a little plastic action figure.

Anyway, the cantina set is out so go, scoot, are you still reading this post...

Kidhuman
08-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Anyway, the cantina set is out so go, scoot, are you still reading this post...

Cause a nice guy looked out for a brother and picked one up for me. :D :beard:

plasticfetish
08-15-2004, 04:19 PM
For those that haven't seen this one firsthand yet, there's new photos up over in the Database...

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=1837&password=&page=1

Enjoy!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-15-2004, 04:52 PM
How much is it? Regular $20 Screen Scene price or $30 three-deluxe-figures price?

plasticfetish
08-15-2004, 05:16 PM
It was $19.99 -- and not a bad deal at all.

I'm gonna try to do a full review later, but for the most part, I'd say: Kitik's cool, it's nice to have gotten Wuher (I didn't have him) and Dr. Evazon is just OK. That, plus all of the bar sections and glasses make this one a treat for the price.

Beats selling my car to afford a Kitik off eBay any day. ;)

Beast
08-15-2004, 05:19 PM
How much is it? Regular $20 Screen Scene price or $30 three-deluxe-figures price?
It's supposed to be $19.99, but a from the L.A. found thread, they seem to be finding it a dollar more there. So it seems your mileage may vary. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
08-16-2004, 02:04 PM
I keep going to Kmart, but have yet to find it. I really want this one.

Droid
08-16-2004, 02:24 PM
I was thrilled with the set, and though I am hard on Hasbro from time to time, I am happy by sometime in 2005 we will have 22 distinct cantina patrons:

Hammerhead, Greedo, Walrusman, Takeel, red Zutton, blue Zutton, Labria, Nadrun Leids, Dr. Evazan, Muftak, Kabe, Lak Sirvak, Ketwol,
Cantina Band Member, Wuher, BoShek, the Duros, Djas Puhr, Kitik, Myo, Dannik Jerriko, and Feltiperm Trevagg.

I have the 18 they have made so far lined up on my dresser and they look great, a diverse collection.

Though I'll take all the cantina aliens I can get, if they'd just make Hem Dazon - the Arcona and the Tonnika Sisters I'd be extremely content with my cantina collection if they never made any more. (Though there are several more I would LIKE).

OC47150
08-16-2004, 03:02 PM
One Kmart in my area has space and a shelf tag for them, so it's only a matter of time.

Droid
08-16-2004, 03:10 PM
When I got to an out of town Kmart, it had a space and price tag for the cantina set to be. I asked an employee to go look in back and was shocked the employee did it and walked out with a case for me to grab one for myself and one for a friend.

TheDarthVader
08-16-2004, 04:55 PM
I still have not found this at my K Mart. :( I wonder if I will ever find it...everyone seems to be grabbing 4 or 5 all of a sudden (reference: scalpers). But that is understandable...I guess. They will get more in if I miss the first shipment.

B.
TDV

Droid
08-16-2004, 05:01 PM
I reread my post, I bought one $20 set for myself and one $20 set for my friend. I didn't buy a CASE for myself and a CASE for my friend!

Hellboy
08-16-2004, 05:12 PM
ah, turn that frown upside down, Hellboy!!

:) --Looks like I lucked out with this exclusive. After informing a friend who lives on the other side of town that these were hitting he checked out his local store and "BAM" we scored a fresh unopened case off the stock boys cart. I don't have them in hand yet but at least I saved myself the pain of endless disappointment trying to find them at my local armpit of a K-Mart. :D

plasticfetish
08-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Right on Hellboy, good score!

They will get more in if I miss the first shipment.I think they will. If they're smart they will anyway. It's a good set for the price -- not to mention the fact that these figures have been hyped for so long. Good for K-Mart really, doing something smart for a change, and not over charging us for it. I'd think that the next cantina set will do almost as well also.

K-Mart should have snapped up the Sandcrawler and put it out for $39.99 -- Would have been another good move.

(Wow. I can't remember the last time that I even thought anything nice about K-Mart.)

B'Omarr Monkey
08-17-2004, 12:01 PM
I hit both K-Marts in my area twice this week. They are really bad, even for K-Mart. One barely has a toy section, and no SW whatsoever (which was the case when I checked this place out three months ago). The toy section is a poster child of disarray. Wlaking through it I noticed that the Spider-Man toys were divided up into three different, wholly unrelated sections. Ditto Power Rangers. Meanwhile, most of the pegs and shelves in the toy section are empty.

the other K-Mart is a little more upscale (I never thought I'd say that regarding K-Mart) in the sense that it was clean, and better organized. They had one of the talking Yodas, a lightsaber and 2 12" Lukes (plus the ever present Hoth Trooper!) but no Cantina Wave sets.

My wife is visiting her parents today and is going to check there, but if she strikes out I'll be posting for someone to grab one of these for me. I really don't want to miss out on this one.

OC47150
08-17-2004, 12:44 PM
The Kmart closest to my house was in the same shape, B'Omarr. For about three weeks, there were no pegs for SW items at all. I checked last week, the toy dept. had been reset for the holidays, and there's now a nice little SW section again. They had much the same stuff as you reported but no shelf tag for the cantina sets.

A second Kmart does have a shelf tag for the cantina sets.

Turambar
08-17-2004, 01:06 PM
I see what you guys mean about the disarray. It's like the "aisle of misfit toys" with junk piled up everywhere in chaotic fashion. Even if they do have it there's a good chance I'll miss it. I suppose it makes the hunt more of a challenge, though.

dindae
08-17-2004, 01:21 PM
My local K-mart is resetting the shelves. I don't know if it is laziness or just the magnitude of the task but it has taken them a week to get halfway through. They did the Star Wars section today but no 3 pack. :(

dindae
08-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Guess they finally finished the reset cause I found them today. :D

Lazer Brain
08-18-2004, 01:11 PM
Please Help! I Live In San Antonio Texas And There Are No Kmarts Around At All, I Would Like To Get 2 Of These Sets, I Will Pay For Them + Shipping. Please Email Me.
Thanks
Later

TheDarthVader
08-18-2004, 02:18 PM
I reread my post, I bought one $20 set for myself and one $20 set for my friend. I didn't buy a CASE for myself and a CASE for my friend!
Dude, I wasn't even talking about you. (Notice MY post where it states: reference: scalpers) If you're not a scalper, I am not talking about you. I was refering to those who buy all of the sets and then sell them for more! :)

B.
TDV

JEDIpartner
08-18-2004, 03:11 PM
I got one for myself and one for Jedi Drew. That's two sets... not cases. ;)

Ook
08-18-2004, 05:38 PM
I'm glad I never bought the Cantina Showdown or Wuher. (Although, I would like that droid detector...) I'd like to see subsequent sets include different cups, like the ones the from Outlander nightclub figs.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-21-2004, 12:15 PM
I found these on Tuesday. I had heard K-Mart was getting them but wasn't sure when. I was mainly going there to see if they had any OTC figures. One thing I like about these compared to the previous bar sets is that the cardboard background is all one piece. I had to cut the pieces out of the cards on the other sets, and then I spent a while trying to get them cut just right so that they fit together nicely. It didn't turn out the best.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-21-2004, 12:20 PM
However, I'm looking at the package again now and I'm not sure if that background piece is designed to slide into the bar section like they did on the original sets. Either way, still cool to finally have Kitik. I hope they make more with more new cantina aliens.

Ji'dai
08-21-2004, 12:57 PM
However, I'm looking at the package again now and I'm not sure if that background piece is designed to slide into the bar section like they did on the original sets. Either way, still cool to finally have Kitik. I hope they make more with more new cantina aliens.
Yeah, the background cardstock is thicker than the previous wave. The slot in the bar sections is still there, but it looks too narrow for the new background.

After finally getting these I'm not all that impressed with Kitik. He's basically just a praying mantis in a skirt. Still, the more new background characters I get the better. I do like that Wuher doesn't have the cup permanently molded in his right hand.

Sean the Hutt
08-21-2004, 04:21 PM
well being in Canada right now I thought I would not be getting these easily.
My mom in the states actually called me up and said she was at k mart with the goods. Way to go mom! The best mom in the universe!
She got them at the k mart off carmel mountain road in San Diego! Good luck

Emperor Howdy
08-21-2004, 08:55 PM
After finally getting these I'm not all that impressed with Kitik. He's basically just a praying mantis in a skirt.

lol lol lol

Deoxyribonucleic
08-21-2004, 09:18 PM
After finally getting these I'm not all that impressed with Kitik. He's basically just a praying mantis in a skirt.

Yeah EP, that was pretty f'in funny! lol

That last sentence got a huge laugh outta me! I'd love to see people's reactions to reading that, having no idea what we are talking about!

Good one Ji'dai! :D

Ji'dai
08-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Good one Ji'dai! :D

After reading the package again I've learned Kitik is female. So I guess the skirt is appropriate. :o

Deoxyribonucleic
08-22-2004, 01:57 PM

After reading the package again I've learned Kitik is female. So I guess the skirt is appropriate. :o

Still...a praying mantis in a skirt :sur: That was a great phrase!

;)

OC47150
08-23-2004, 06:45 AM
A buddy and I found ours on Friday. We got the last two!!

A fellow collector saw them over the weekend, too, but the plastic bubbles were crushed, as if someone smashed them.

TheDarthVader
08-25-2004, 12:14 PM
Well guys.........I finally found them! I repeat: I found them! There were four sets on the shelf. All four had crushed bubbles (some more extreme crushes than others). I picked the best one and bought it. I finally have the set! :) I didn't think I would ever find this set at my K Mart. I guess you should never give up hope.
Yeah, I don't know why Kitik has a skirt. I don't believe praying mantis have pronounced genitle parts. So what is she hiding under there?

B.
TDV

Droid
08-25-2004, 01:24 PM
If you look at the Star Wars website special on cantina aliens it shows the production sketch of Kitik wearing a skirt (like the figure has). So either a) that's what the creature wore on set or b) given that Hasbro had know idea what the bottom half of Kitik looked like it went with the production sketch and put her in a skirt.

JEDIpartner
08-25-2004, 02:18 PM
There were four sets on the shelf. All four had crushed bubbles (some more extreme crushes than others).
Every Kmart that I've been to has not had a single "flawless" set. Every box seems to have crushed bubbles throughout. :frus: It matters not to me, though. I open everything.

TheDarthVader
08-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Every Kmart that I've been to has not had a single "flawless" set. Every box seems to have crushed bubbles throughout. :frus: It matters not to me, though. I open everything.

I am a carded collector. :) But I am not going to turn physcho about finding the perfect one. The one I found was okay in my book. ;) I guess Hasbro is doing a crappy job of shipping these sets. That figures.

B.
TDV

dindae
08-25-2004, 03:13 PM
The case I found was mint. I guess since I got it while it was waiting to be put out it avoided the herd of elephants they run up and down the toy ailse to keep it in a state of choas. :D

JEDIpartner
08-26-2004, 08:34 AM
I got mine out of a fresh case. The crazy thing is, there was no damage to the shipping carton at all!!!

TheDarthVader
08-26-2004, 11:39 AM
Yeah, my cardboard was in perfect shape. Go figure that one out. I noticed it says SCENE 1 on the package. Does anyone know what characters are in SCENE 2? I am already looking forward to finding the next series.

B.
TDV

pegger
08-26-2004, 11:46 AM
If anyone is willing to work out a trade...(I really want one of these, and I don't think they'll be coming to Canada) see my thread in the Trade section please... (willing to trade Starburst carded figs...) :nerv:

Kidhuman
08-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Walrus Man, a Blue Snaggletooth and Obi-Wan. JJB posted a pic, heres the link (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=339527&postcount=1)

Beast
08-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ponda Baba, and Blue (Tall) Snaggletooth.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=24672

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
08-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Ya beat me to it JJB, I just edited my post with the link.

dindae
08-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Yeah, my cardboard was in perfect shape. Go figure that one out. I noticed it says SCENE 1 on the package. Does anyone know what characters are in SCENE 2? I am already looking forward to finding the next series.

B.
TDV

Blue Snaggletooth, Obi-Wan and Ponda Baba. They had pictures in the Comic Con section.

Ooops guess I should have looked at the last page. :D

IMFETTUP
08-26-2004, 01:20 PM
Just saw the Cantina set at local K-Mart and I passed. Figures were poorly painted, esp. Dr. Evanzan. Way too plain as far as I am concerned.

JEDIpartner
08-26-2004, 02:34 PM
There seem to be plenty of these to be had, which is good. I really expected Kmart to bungle this one up terribly. Painted plainly or not, these are three figures I'd not previously gotten so I am chuffed! The next set will be extra fun with thta Blue Snags. I could live without that Obi-Wan figure and re-re-issue of Ponda Baba, but *shrug*

TheDarthVader
08-27-2004, 03:23 PM
DUH! Dang it...I knew that...I just forgot! Somebody slap me. I will be getting series 2 set. You know you've gotta have that blue snaggletooth (abnormally tall)!

B.
TDV

Slicker
08-27-2004, 06:33 PM
They should've used the original head sculpt for the Snaggletooth. I always kinda thought that his head looked like the monster on the wing in that episode of Twilight Zone with Bill Shatner.

Samuel Windu
08-28-2004, 05:16 AM
Passed on series 1 and get series 2

SithDroid
08-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Got the series One set today. Yeah the paint job on Wuher is pretty bad. Tons of brown flung all over him. Oh well, Kitik looks pretty cool though. Dr. Evazan is ok, but I think the 1st release of him was done better.

B'Omarr Monkey
09-02-2004, 11:44 PM
If you look at the Star Wars website special on cantina aliens it shows the production sketch of Kitik wearing a skirt (like the figure has). So either a) that's what the creature wore on set or b) given that Hasbro had know idea what the bottom half of Kitik looked like it went with the production sketch and put her in a skirt.

Yeah, she's definitely wearing a skirt on set. I'm sure that it was designed to save money, so they wouldn't have to build the bottom half of a way in the background character--plus they had to hide the person crouched under there whose job was to swivel Kitik's head.

My wife surprised me with one of these sets today. I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with it. the bubble was in perfect shape (not that it matters, since mine will be opened). I do wish that Kitik's head could turn. Dr. Evazon is not great, but an improvement over the previous one, ditto for Wuher, except they really went overboard on the grime for those two characters. I don't know about everyone else's, but in my cantina there is definitely not a sign in the men's room which reads "All employees must wash hands," because my Wuher looks like he's been working on the engine of his landspeeder all day.

stillakid
09-03-2004, 10:56 AM
ditto for Wuher, except they really went overboard on the grime for those two characters. I don't know about everyone else's, but in my cantina there is definitely not a sign in the men's room which reads "All employees must wash hands," because my Wuher looks like he's been working on the engine of his landspeeder all day.

So the Cantina should be shut down by the Health Inspector? Maybe one of those grading signs reading D- or something... :sur:

OC47150
09-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Good one! I know a couple health department inspectors I could send in Wuher's direction.

evenflow
09-06-2004, 08:14 AM
Well I can't wait for the second set, but i have to say that i finally go tthe first set and it is terrible. Kitik is just horrible and I really wanted the figure badly. I don' like the color (were the ones people got single carded a different color?) and what happened to the neck articulation?

stillakid
09-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Got mine! (from ScalperBay). Paid a little extra, but it saved me the fruitless runaround and gas I suppose. On the whole, I still have to say that exclusives are a BAD idea. There are never enough in the stores and it only encourages scalpers. As in this case, I don't make extra trips to the store in question and hardly ever buy extra things just because I'm there to find the exclusive (which I know is what the retailers hope will happen).

Turbowars
09-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Got mine! (from ScalperBay). Paid a little extra, but it saved me the fruitless runaround and gas I suppose. On the whole, I still have to say that exclusives are a BAD idea. There are never enough in the stores and it only encourages scalpers. As in this case, I don't make extra trips to the store in question and hardly ever buy extra things just because I'm there to find the exclusive (which I know is what the retailers hope will happen).How much more did you pay Stilla? I'm going to do the same, because the K-mart in Burbank Sucks.

stillakid
09-06-2004, 07:10 PM
How much more did you pay Stilla? I'm going to do the same, because the K-mart in Burbank Sucks.

It was $31.99 including shipping. I understand that retail is around $20 bucks so I probably paid an additional $10 over retail. But one trip to Kmart for me would chew up at least a gallon of gas at $2 bucks a shot. Add up five useless trips and I would have paid more in the end than using ScalperBay.

Slicker
09-12-2004, 04:52 PM
I just saw this 3-pack for the first time today and I must say that it's the probably the second biggest piece of ***** I've ever seen in the way of 3-packs (the absolute worst being the third grader painted Cantina Aliens 3-pack with Labria). The Kitik looks like a damn toothpick with clay and maple leaves stuck to it and the Dr. Evazen looks horrible. In case you're wondering, hell yes I'm gonna buy it because my collection would not be complete without this turd in it.:D

Knightfall
09-12-2004, 06:00 PM
I don't think the set's that bad. I love Kitik because I've wanted her for such a long time, and Wuher's pretty okay too. Dr. Evazan, unfortunately, is a piece of crap, with his skinny little bent-up legs and gun that you better leave rubber-banded to his hand, but two out of three ain't bad.

Of course, the sole reason I'll buy the second set is for Blue Snaggletooth.:D

Ook
09-16-2004, 11:24 PM
(the absolute worst being the third grader painted Cantina Aliens 3-pack with Labria)
I wasn't very impressed with that set when it came out. I hated the devil and thought he should be red. Didn't like Snaggletooth's akward pose. I didn't realize what a top-notch figure the 4-arm is, though, until I recently got the set. He's an absolute must for the alien collection, and quite underrated.

evenflow
09-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Is the Kitik in this the same color as the ones that were carded seperately?

Ook
09-20-2004, 02:09 AM
Is the Kitik in this the same color as the ones that were carded seperately?
I think they're the same with the addition of a spot painted on her head in the OTC release. I posted about that here (http://threads.rebelscum.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=907465&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1). Compare the pics of the Saga one on RS (http://www.rebelscum.com/sw02wmcantinakitik.asp) to mine (http://www.poop-culture.com/toyreviews/guest/ook/cantina_kitik.jpg).

The rest of my pics of this set. (http://www.poop-culture.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=28)

jedi-cpa
10-13-2004, 04:44 PM
OK, we see sets 1&2...anyone have info if there is a plan for 3?

I hope not.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-13-2004, 07:20 PM
I hope there is a third set and even a fourth and fifth, just so long as they are not composed entirely of previously released cantina patrons. I don't want to see a set of Takeel, Nabrun Leids, and Labria, or a set with Muftak, Kabe, and the Duros. I'm not thrilled that the sets we have are 2/3 rereleased figures, but I'll take new cantina patrons however we can get them. paying $20 for the set with Kitak Keed'kak was much more preferable to the $200+ that people were asking for him on ebay.

Does anyone know when set #2 is supposed to start hitting stores? The K-Marts near me are somewhat out of my regular travelling circuit, and they generally don't stock enough to warrant me going out of my way to visit them out of curiosity.

Devo
10-13-2004, 09:02 PM
K-mart in Burbank Sucks.

Does this quote make anyone else think of Rain Man?

OC47150
10-14-2004, 06:47 AM
Wasn't there a story/rumor earlier this year that a corner/rounded end of the bar would be offered?

dindae
10-22-2004, 03:34 PM
I am completely disappointed by the second set. I knew that Obi -wan and Ponda were mainly rehashed, but the saving grace was a new figure. However seeing the "new" was terribly disappointing. Basically they took the head and body of Zutton (from POTJ), slapped the arms and legs from Ponda Baba, and gave it a crappy paint app. Just sad.

Kidhuman
10-22-2004, 07:13 PM
I am completely disappointed by the second set.

That is an understatement. I saw one today and Zutton looked horrid. The only reason I would have thought about buying it, and he looks like bunk.

plasticfetish
10-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Basically they took the head and body of Zutton (from POTJ), slapped the arms and legs from Ponda Baba, and gave it a crappy paint app. Just sad.It really is an amazingly half-a**ed set. The worst thing about these sets (both of them) is that the production quality has been terrible. The knee and hip joints on Ponda and Zutton are super loose, and the paint apps aren't just "crappy" they're... well, there isn't any paint at all really. With all of the cool(ish) repaints going on for the OTC basic line, you'd think that Hasbro could at least put a little effort into these figures. (They look better on the back of the box!)

The most annoying thing, is that all of the figures end up all warped and funky because of the way they're packaged. I don't mind Hasbro building Franken-figures from this and that other figure, but it'd be nice if they ended up "feeling" a little less like bootlegs when you held them.

These sets end up being a decent buy for me, because I never scored any of the single figure cantina sets -- it's cool having all of the bar sections. I never bought any of these figures individually, though I kind of remember why for the most, but I suppose it's nice to ad them to the pile. But not that Obi-Wan figure (so lame.)

Ook
10-22-2004, 11:14 PM
These sets end up being a decent buy for me, because I never scored any of the single figure cantina sets -- it's cool having all of the bar sections. I never bought any of these figures individually, though I kind of remember why for the most, but I suppose it's nice to ad them to the pile. But not that Obi-Wan figure (so lame.)
Man, that is so true. I keep rationalizing these things, trying find reasons they're not a heaping waste for me. Fortunately the first one is all new figs for me: I never got Wuher or the Evazan "Showdown" set, and I like this Evazan better than the first. So that's a good deal for me.

The second one's a harder sell... I don't have that particular Ben, so that's....something. I'm quite happy with the my POTF2 orginal Wally, but I suppose the knee joints are good for sitting him in the cantina. And the blue Snag I've found novel from the start, and wanted to add to my cantina display. I just wish the bash wasn't so lazy.

Kidhuman
10-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Man, that is so true. I keep rationalizing these things, trying find reasons they're not a heaping waste for me. Fortunately the first one is all new figs for me: I never got Wuher or the Evazan "Showdown" set, and I like this Evazan better than the first. So that's a good deal for me.

I am in the same boat as you. I never got any of the 1st set the 1st time around, so these were all new for me. Out of the first three Wal-Mart exclusives, I only got Greedo. I didnt want another Hammer Head or Walrus-Man(I know, I got another Greedo though) So I have 4 bar sections right now. I am sure this set will be on Ebay in 6 months for 1/2 the price and maybe I will get it then.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-24-2004, 06:27 PM
In today's Kmart ad, they advertised the Cantina set on sale for $17.99. Not a whole lot, but hey, a sale's a sale, right? In the picture it only showed set 1 but I assume the new one would be on sale as well.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-24-2004, 08:38 PM
If it's there it might be on sale. My K-Mart has 6 or 8 of set one sitting there now, so maybe they are on sale to get rid of them and make room for set two.

plasticfetish
10-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I saw that ad today... they should both be on sale.

sumdumchum
10-24-2004, 11:50 PM
Well I went around the local Kmarts today and saw Scene 2 in just about everyone of 'em. Pretty cool to set up the cantina although I have to say that the figures are nothing better than second rate. I say if you really want them go ahead and get them now but as someone else here already said... you will find them for half the price in a few months on Ebay or elsewhere. :p

JEDIpartner
10-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Yeah, I saw that ad today... they should both be on sale.They are...

JEDIpartner
10-26-2004, 12:29 PM
The funniest thing about the newest cantina set is... the Ben Kenobi figure is holding the hilt in one hand and the sabre blade in the other! Yowch!!! :eek:

bobafrett
10-26-2004, 02:12 PM
The funniest thing about the newest cantina set is... the Ben Kenobi figure is holding the hilt in one hand and the sabre blade in the other! Yowch!!! :eek:

Yeah, I noticed that also. I bought the set anyway, just to get my Star Wars fix for the day, but old Ben looks like he is tapping the lightsaber against his hand like it is a baseball bat.

I have both sets now. :D

Jaff
10-27-2004, 04:41 PM
When I got this set on Friday I was going loony from joy. Normally I am not interested in figures that are not accuratly detailed and sculpted from film characters. I'm not an expanded universe guy either, but this Blue Snaggletooth was something I thought I would never see in this line and I am so grateful that it was made. It's just one step closer to finishing the vintage line alltogether!

JEDIpartner
10-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Normally I am not interested in figures that are not accuratly detailed and sculpted from film characters. I'm not an expanded universe guy either, but this Blue Snaggletooth was something I thought I would never see in this line and I am so grateful that it was made.
I felt the same way. I really didn't need another Ponda Baba and a sub-par Ben Kenobi. I was buying it for the bar set, but mostly the Blue Snaggs! :D

Hellboy
10-28-2004, 05:41 PM
I'm with you guys on this one. I can understand some people's disappointment that we got 2 re-issued figures in this set but I was willing to suck it up because of the Blue Snaggletooth. I never thought we'd see him in the modern line and like you stated Jaff it brings us one step closer to a fully updated vintage line. I didn't need the Ponda Baba and Obi-Wan either and IMO the bar pieces are garbage because of the barstools (which never appeared in the Cantina in the first place) and the total absence of a rounded piece to create an accurate looking bar. So yeah I basically paid $20 for one figure but nobody forced me to do it and if this was the only way I'd ever get a Blue Snaggs then so be it.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-26-2004, 12:09 AM
K-Mart was one of the few places open on Thanksgiving, so I stopped by there on the way to my parents' house and found Cantina Scene #2. Another thing to be thankful for I guess.

GOBBLES!