PDA

View Full Version : USA TODAY-6/24/04 Star Wars Books article

Darth Alex
06-24-2004, 12:04 PM
If you are interested and get a chance, today's USA Today has on page 7D a half page article entitled " 'Star Wars' books are soldering on ".
It states that since 1991, more than 1,100 (!) SW titles have been published. Wow, that's alot...even has the breakdown of what type.
I don't want to ruin the article, but it does list 4 upcoming titles and goes into some detail on the Cestus Deception and Medstar 1 titles.

r2dee2
06-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Thanks so much for the heads up! :D I'll have to look into getting that today :cool:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-25-2004, 08:32 AM
If you are interested and get a chance, today's USA Today has on page 7D a half page article entitled " 'Star Wars' books are soldering on ".
It states that since 1991, more than 1,100 (!) SW titles have been published. Wow, that's alot...even has the breakdown of what type.

I assume that it includes comic books, right? And maybe even re-issues of previously released books, or magazines? Children's versions, collections of trilogies and other series... it all adds up fast. I have almost 500 SW books, comics, magazines, with most of 'em from post-1991 (except the Marvel Comics run). I'll see if the article is online and try and post a link.

Darth Alex
06-25-2004, 10:56 AM
I believe it does include comic books. Once again, we are given a number in the SW universe that will be hard pressed to be verified (300th figure Boba, for example).
If I had a way to scan the find or post a link I would, but I don't.

r2dee2
06-25-2004, 02:11 PM
From the USA Today 24 June 2004 SW Book article-

The breakdown of SW titles that have been published since 1991:

Adult Fiction: 83
Graphic Novels: 112
Comics: 516
Art or novelty: 43
Juvenile: 238
Non-Fiction: 69
Magazines: 86

Source: Lucas Licensing

B'Omarr Monkey
06-25-2004, 11:04 PM
I don't think that individual comic book issues and magazines should be included in that survey. Especially when you are including graphic novels, which are duplicating those published comics. I also wonder if the adult books include the hardcover and paperback versions of the same book as two seperate titles.

Does anybody collect the kids books? That number seems really high as well. The big book pushes have been primarily coinciding with the movies, with little going on beyond that. Including series like "Galaxy of Fear," I don't know how all of those "I Am A Droid" books add up to such a high number.

r2dee2
06-25-2004, 11:15 PM
I collect the children's books and I'm sure they are including the things like sticker books, coloring books, storybooks, along with the juvenile series GOF, Junior Jedi Knights, Young Jedi Knights, Skylark series, Boba Fett etc. etc.. I have a good number of the juvenile books listed HERE. (http://r2toyforce.net/juvenile.htm)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Sorry for the delay. Here's the link to the article: Star Wars in USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2004-06-23-star-wars-books_x.htm) (I've been told my links don't always work, so I'll apologize beforehand)

Here's what I have purchased (and therefore, have read) since 1991:

- Young Adult Books
11 Young Jedi Knight
6 Junior Jedi Knight
12 Galaxy of Fear
18 Jedi Apprentice
11 Jedi Quest
3 Choose-Your-Own-Adventure
5 Boba Fett
6 Adventure Journal
= 72 (if math is right)

- Novels
3 Radio drama
6 Zahn
8 Kevin J. Anderson
19 NJO
3 Han Solo trilogies
3 various trilogies (Lando, Black Fleet, Bounty Hunter, etc.?)
13 single novel
4 novelizations (classic trilogy, TPM, AOTC, SOTE)
= 71 (again, if correct)

- Comics
15 graphic novels/trade paperbacks (maybe more, maybe less)
10 various comics
= 25 (easy addition here :rolleyes: )

- Magazines
40 various (SW Insider, SW Galaxy, TV Guide, Empire, Vanity Fair, etc.)
= 40 (duh... )

-Art/Behind the Scenes/Reference
25 various
= 25

For a total of 233, and I have probably forgotten some others. Now, I seldom buy different versions (both hardback and paperback, new covers, both individual comics and trade paperbacks, etc.), so I could see how that number could skyrocket.

Darth Alex
06-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Bel-Cam, that's an impressive reading list!
I know some folks really don't like the EU at all, but I try to keep up with the comics and buy the books when I can afford to.
For me, the SW Tales has been a favorite comic and I really like what is being done with the Clone Wars tales. The development of Anakin with the capture/assumed death of Obi-Wan is interesting, especially the issue where he argues with a suppossed Tusken Jedi.
I really like when a publication like USA Today does an article on SW stuff like the literature. It's a positive way to see the hobby grow!

Darth Alex
06-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Also, it's nice to see that there will be a lot of story support leading up to Ep3. Between the comics, the novels, and the CW cartoon season 2, there will be a lot to chew on!

rust
06-30-2004, 01:18 PM
I don't think that individual comic book issues and magazines should be included in that survey. Especially when you are including graphic novels, which are duplicating those published comics. I also wonder if the adult books include the hardcover and paperback versions of the same book as two seperate titles.

Does anybody collect the kids books? That number seems really high as well. The big book pushes have been primarily coinciding with the movies, with little going on beyond that. Including series like "Galaxy of Fear," I don't know how all of those "I Am A Droid" books add up to such a high number.
My library has the entire Jedi Apprentice series and I'm close to finishing. I also have all the Fett books. But, I'm actually writing a SW book I hope I can get Scholastic to publish (Well, a trilogy about Kyle Katarn. I need to shut up now).

Kewl, 1,100 books! That's a lot of reading we have to do to know everything in the SW universe.