PDA

View Full Version : Argh! ANTS!!!!

Exhaust Port
06-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Ok, in the 8 years I've been in my apartment I've never had problems with bugs until now. Over the last few weeks I've been invaded by ants! At first I gave the kitchen a good cleaning to make sure that there wasn't any food scraps laying around but that didn't help. I've now had ant traps laying around for a few days now with no sign of change in the visible ant traffic.

Anyone else have any experience with ants that can share some sage advice on dealing with these pests.

kool-aid killer
06-24-2004, 01:45 PM
The past two years my house has had ants enter during the summer for a brief period of time which is usually about three weeks or so. Now when i say this i dont mean that they flood my house and i see them everywhere but i catch about one a day crawling on a wall, playing on the kitchen floor etc. I smash them and throw them away. But eventually they disappear during the summer and i dont see any crawl around until i go outside. I dont know what causes them to leave, or if they even leave at all and just hide until we go to sleep but they dont bother me up until the next summer. I hope your ant problem is resolved soon.

LTBasker
06-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Since you live in an apartment it may not even be your apartment is the source of the problem. There could an apartment connected to yours that is making them stay and your kitchen is just a route they have.

We have had ant problems as well, they're pretty random though. Sometimes they'll come in winter and sometimes in summer. One thing that really helps though is spraying around outside. Usually they come in from outside using the walls, but as far as I can tell they don't nest in the wall.

When we first had the problem with them there was a box outside that we kept forgetting to throw away that was filled with some junk and it got really dirty and such from weather. Well when we were cleaning one day we finally got around to that box and found out that ants had made a hive in there. After that was taken care of though we didn't see them in the house for awhile.

So you might want to spray around outside your apartment and ask your neighbors to do the same if they have ant problems as well.

El Chuxter
06-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Half the times, ant traps are useless. You said you're living in an apartment, so the best thing to do would be call the apartment manager and tell them of the problem so they can hire a professional to spray around the building. It is a lot safer (and less stinky) than Raid.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-24-2004, 05:19 PM
So you might want to spray around outside your apartment and ask your neighbors to do the same if they have ant problems as well.

That's what I was going to suggest. Call terminix or whatever, they'll spray the perimeter of your apartment and this should work for about 3 months. Even if the guy next door doesn't do it. But it's a good idea to see if they will. We get our house sprayed once every three months and I tell ya, it really cuts down on all sorts of bugs, thank the maker ;)

If you don't want to spray, try spraying the ants with windex, I think it's the amonia in there, but anyway, it stops 'em in their tracks. It's the weirdest thing, my uncle told me about it.

Exhaust Port
06-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Windex huh? You wouldn't happen to be Greek would you? (My Big Fat Greek Wedding reference for those that missed it)

I'm going to give these darn traps a few more days and after that I'm calling the landlord if nothing improves.

I don't know why but I'm only seeing them on the countertop in the kitchen. There isn't anything sitting on top of there other than a toaster oven (which they don't really go near) and a microwave (don't bother that either). It seems that they are licking something off the surface as they just sit there until I start squishing them. I've cleaned the surface a few times but they're still hanging out.

Kidhuman
06-24-2004, 09:21 PM
I have had them one year and laid Combat ANt Traps down. What ya need to do is find out where they are coming from and place them there. Good thing is there are 4 to a pack.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Windex huh? You wouldn't happen to be Greek would you? (My Big Fat Greek Wedding reference for those that missed it)

I've never seen that movie. My windex idea comes from this here story; one night I ate a bowl of icecream, put the bowl down on the ground beside the couch to finish watching a movie and when the movie was over, I got up and HOLY CRAMOLY :eek: there was an entire line of ants streaming in from the side of the front door all the way to the ice cream bowl and no where else. My uncle was over, got up, got the windex and started spraying. To my surprise, the ants died on the spot. Sad kinda, as they are fun creatures to watch, but not in the house :p

I don't know why but I'm only seeing them on the countertop in the kitchen. There isn't anything sitting on top of there other than a toaster oven (which they don't really go near) and a microwave (don't bother that either). It seems that they are licking something off the surface as they just sit there until I start squishing them. I've cleaned the surface a few times but they're still hanging out.

Maybe they have death wishes or just like your magnetic personality ;)

Exhaust Port
06-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Maybe they have death wishes or just like your magnetic personality ;)
It's got to be a death wish then. :D

Being that you haven't seen the movie and you have a personal experience with the wonders of Windex then you MUST see My Big Fat Greek Wedding. You'll love it. :)

Kidhuman
06-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Windex kills everything according to that movie.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-24-2004, 10:35 PM
It's got to be a death wish then. :D

Being that you haven't seen the movie and you have a personal experience with the wonders of Windex then you MUST see My Big Fat Greek Wedding. You'll love it. :)

this outta be good then ;) Windex even eliminates pesky pet odors :nerv:

plasticfetish
06-26-2004, 04:19 AM
Yes, ants... the dominant species on this planet.

Basically ants spend most of the cold and wet seasons hiding out until the weather starts to warm up and then they wander out looking for food and water.

Mostly they're probably crawling into your kitchen or bathroom looking for water, but if the few scouts (scouts?) find food then you're s****ed. Keeping things clean will prevent them from really targeting your pantries, cupboards or whatever (Windex is really good actually.) Since they nest underground, the best way to cut 'em down is to spray around the outside of your place.

You may need to do it a few times, and if you see them coming from a specific spot hit it, but they'll ease up -- never go away for good, but they'll ease up.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-27-2004, 10:48 PM
I remember my freshman year of college, my first year away from home. I rented an apartment with my brother and sister in the city, a house that was probably at least 60 years old. We lived on the upper floor and I remember our first year, in the late spring, we had an ant infestation.

And it wasn't those little bitty ants that I've seen raid cupboards in the South, but huge, fast-moving, ugly carpenter ants. They would come in right through, our bottom cupboard, were we hid our snacks. Anything that was open, we had to discard. They were also crafty, doing most of their trickery under cover of darkness.

I know this sounds ghetto, (we lived in a ghetto house :D ) but my brother and I went on an epic ant smashing hunt for about two weeks. We would open cupboards, look under rugs, even deliberately leave food out to attract them, and right when we saw one, we'd take a shoe and smash it. I think in one day, my brother and I killed twenty-five ants. It was gross, but it was exercising, and it kept me on my toes.

After two weeks, there was not an ant to be found.

I also heard really soapy water kills ants, for those too cheap to get Windex.

Exhaust Port
06-28-2004, 09:46 PM
I don't know if it's been the traps, frequent Windex usage or my ant smashing but there are not nearly as many ants around. In fact I went a full day without even seeing one of those little buggers!! I'm hoping this is the beginning of the end.

Kidhuman
06-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Maybe its all three, :D

Exhaust Port
06-28-2004, 11:20 PM
Fear My Wrath!!! :D

Kidhuman
06-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Fear My Wrath!!! :D
KKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!