PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Garden or love houseplants??

mabudonicus
06-26-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm sure as many here know I love plants of all sorts; I'm starting this likely highly unpopular thread to see if anyone else shares this passion :beard:

My most recent favourite addition is a Nepenthes (still don't know what variety, gotta wait for the pitchers) it's a fairly rare carnivorous species of vine-like pitcher plant, here's a nice pic of it :D

the other I called Jungle plant, it is unidentified...... anyone??? the pic stinks, but I'll put a better one, you can get an idea from it at least, I've had it for several years, this was actually grown from a seed I got off of the original one I was given... it really puzzles me, maybe someone will recognize it....

PS theres a good bit of the current :beard: in the Nepenthes shot :D

I am looking to expand my collection of carnivores throuhg starting seeds, I want Droseras and stuff next, they're all hard to keep, but they are so cool the hassle (and sometimes heartbreak) is more than worth it....

So, anyone else have any fun plants, or gardens???
Our outdoors garden has over 100 different things in it, maybe even closer to 200 (we add stuff as the space presents itself) focussing on Habanero peppers natch :)

jjreason
06-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Well I've learned a little about growing certain plants in my work experience, but the only thing Jodi and I can seem to cultivate are weeds! :D Honestly, we have a lot more growing at this house than we did at the last one. Outside we have a Japanese maple and a buckeye nut tree, a small relative of a palm tree (Nanaimo is famous for being able to maintain them, believe it or not, many people plant them here), strawberries growing in the back yard, a humongous lilac bush/tree that's over 10ft in height along with numerous perrennial flowers I don't know the names of. In the house we only have a couple of very tough plants - they seem to be able to survive neglect, children and our dog. No mean feat.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Gardening/plants/flowers, while not a passion to me like star wars, still hold a soft spot in my heart. I've staken several stabs at doing some stuff. For example, once a friend bought me a bonsai plant and the roomates and I all of sudden went nuts, built a greenhouse and filled it with probably 70 or so bonsais...most we made...and out of those, my roomy Ernie made the most, but it was COOL.

Here in so. cal because just about anything grows (did you know that palm trees are NOT native to california) :sur: I like to grow cacti...my favorite being an aloe vera plant/cactus. I also just planted some catnip outside my window, which reminds me that when I lived up on Bainbridge Island, in Washington state, we also had a garden out back with mostly herbs, including catnip and opium, yes opium poppies that grew naturally, like weeds really. But this family of deer kept jumping over the fence and eating everything, but the garden stayed. :)

I also LOVE just being around hundreds of plants/trees all at once and I often go for hikes at the nature center here by my house...it takes all of my worries away! :D

Great thread by the way! Just thinking about all this stuff brought some great memories back...thanks :)

TeeEye7
06-27-2004, 07:28 AM
I've dabbled with house plants through the years but nothing exotic like you have.

What I REALLY want to get into, though, is water gardening, ya know, ponds and stuff....water lillies, irises, duck weed.....koi....water falls. I've researched for over a year only to become more confused as to what's the best equipment (i.e. pumps, biofilters, UV filters, skimmers, on and on....). There's more than one way to have a successful garden, so it's hard to know what's best to use. I wish I'd find the same answer twice from someone!

Anything like this in your garden, mabs?

Kidhuman
06-27-2004, 08:33 AM
What I REALLY want to get into, though, is water gardening,

Hydroponics??? :beard:

Have never tried gardening, never really had a place to do it. Growing up in NYC, we didnt have much dirt to do these things. Hard to grow anything in concrete. Although we did try to grow some indoor plants a dfew times in our younger days. :D

mabudonicus
06-27-2004, 12:52 PM
DNA- Glad this thread "did" it for ya (it's no bald dude, but hey :D)

JJ- how could a master of the Trak Ball not be able to grow anything?? Besides, after our last meeting, I copied down all the knowledge you imparted :D
you really do know a lot about certain plants, and I'll stop there :beard:

TI-7- no, the closest I could say I've come to the "water garden" thing is a big bowl with a Betta in it and pothos growing out of the top... I'll post a pic of it, it's nice (and as a bit of irony, we have the bowl on a sushi-rolling mat, looks like a little bamboo curtain)... the fish (named "Omicron") really seems to like having the leaves all surrounding his bowl, and he nibbles on the roots if I forget to feed him....

I do have a Venus Flytrap, which has to be kept in a jar to keep enough humidity (I've had it more than a year and it's still looking good) and the Nepenthes is a super finicky jungle plant that needs to be kept in a glass filled with water so that the roots aren'tstanding in water, yet never actually dry out... there's algae growing on the soil, though... and we have discussed a water garden, my mom has one at her new house that's doing pretty well, and another buddy's dad (who grows orchids extensively, really cool) has a super sweet one with lots of lotus and stuff in it...

I envy my western-southern buddies, the west coast especially is awesome for growing pretty much everything (eh, JJ????:D)

And DNA, yeah, I was born in the near-north, so it was pretty much a case of "enjoy nature or else you got nothing"..... we had several waterfalls nearby, and springs and TONS of rock (Canadian Shield, no less)... our yard now is a beautiful little enclave (we have 6' hedges all around, great on a corner) and we like nothing more than to sit out there and just listen to it "happen"... a buddy has a digi cam, I would love to share some shots of it, it is really going nuts right now, tiger lilies blooming, snapdragons, several lobelias, my gooseberry bush is ready to pick, the clematis is covered in blooms (purlple-blue ones) and of note, this year we have giant marigolds, well over 3' high

But yeah, maybe a few folks could post pics of their stuff too....

Also, ANYONE recognize that lousy "jungle plant" pic???? I gotta know what it is.....

dr_evazan22
06-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Hey Mabs!

I live in an apt, so can't really go all out or anything, but I bought this one plant from IKEA, of all places, when I moved in. Now, 4 years later, it's still growing. I think it should be repotted, but don't really have room for a bigger pot. I was wondering if I could trim it, put the trimmings in water and hope it grows. But I'd hate to have done it and it doesn't grow.

My mom has an apt also right now, and on her fire escape she has tomatoes and other herbs (real herbs) growing in those 5 gal kitty litter buckets! I think it's kinda funny, and just a little gross too! lol But this is the second year she's doen this. She is already getting some nice sized tomatoes.

Lord Malakite
06-29-2004, 07:45 AM
I'm not much of plant buff, but if I was, I'd want to grow all the carnivorous species (pitcher plants, venus fly traps, etc.) and all the various species that smell like rotten flesh. I think those are the two coolest types of plants. :p

JBF seems to have a thing for aloe plants. I've seen him more than once playing with it like it were a puppy or something. :eek:

Our outdoors garden has over 100 different things in it, maybe even closer to 200 (we add stuff as the space presents itself) focussing on Habanero peppers natch :)

Just don't eat those Habeneros raw. :D Last year our uncle gave us a bag full. After some convincing from my brothers and I, JBF ate some raw. Not only did he complain about how much it burned, it also appeared as if he was wearing lip stick for about a week. lol

TeeEye7
07-01-2004, 02:29 AM
Hydroponics??? :beard:

Wha' choo talkin' 'bout, Willis? ;)

I have seen some pretty unique systems in my years of crime scene work: hydroponics, yes, but more like drip systems in my corner of the world. Those "farmers" can get awfully resourceful when it comes to playing "hide and seek".

mabudon: I look forward to the pix! :beard:

darthvyn
07-01-2004, 08:15 AM
i've been into bonsai for quite a while now... got some pics at the bottom of this page on my website...

http://vynsane.com/art.html

scruffziller
07-01-2004, 02:03 PM
i've been into bonsai for quite a while now... got some pics at the bottom of this page on my website...

http://vynsane.com/art.html
We have a botanical center in Des Moines and they had some really cool freaky bonsais of all different types of species of trees. I think one was even a Sequoya!! But a very minature one and it was extremely old.

r2dee2
07-01-2004, 07:32 PM
I'm not an expert, but have enjoyed gardening on and off for years.

Right now, I'm in Hawaii and have been enjoying so many of the beautiful plants that I don't normally get to see and it's been a real treat!

Orange Hibiscus (http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/3maywalkmaui2004Dscn0077hibiscusflight_10.jpg)

Yellow Hibiscus (http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/13may2004Dscn0225hibiscusf.BMP)

Red Hibiscus (http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/28may2004mauiDscn0678hibiscusbitcrop_9.jpg)

Bird of Paradise (http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/Mauiwalk30april04Aut10724flowerbopF.JPG)

Shell Ginger (http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/walk10may2004Dscn0190bitFlight.BMP)

Coconut (http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/17may2004dscn0324SD.JPG)

Banana (http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/27may2004dscn0603banana_9.JPG)

Haven't found out the name of this yellow flower yet (http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/27may2004dscn0580flowerlight_9.JPG)

Closeup of the unknown yellow flower (http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/27may2004dscn0582insideflowercloselight_9.JPG)

Likewise on this red plant (http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/walk10may2004Dscn0186flowerbitFlight.BMP)

If anyone knows what the unknown flowers are, then PLEASE feel free to LMK :D

On a "fun" note, I created a "fairy garden" out of my garden in Colorado and added other plants, like petunias, from other areas of my garden.
Fairy Garden (http://r2toyforce.net/fairy1.htm)

'fraid I don't recognize your mystery plant :confused:

mabudonicus
07-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Wow, two pages
I'm pleased.

Malakite... yeah, only metal freaks should eat them Habaneros, I've seen grow men weep many times thanks to them (why do you think I grow 'em if not for the "fear factor" :D) Them "Carrion plants" are pretty easy to grow but they really do stink, Raflessia are the largest of the species, biggest flower on earth actually, sometimes a few feet across

Doc 22- most plants will survive cutting and transplanting, just cut a growing tip off and put it in somewater, put it on a windowsill and try it out, then you could regrow it smaller and give the bigger one away

Vyn, you do good work son ;)

TI7- knowing folks are looking forward to them makes it easier to remember, I will deliver some soon for perusal :beard:

R2- man, I bet Hawaii has some really crazy plants, if it weren't so dang far away I would have to check it out, the pics are sweet (I don't recognize the "unknowns" either, so I guess we're even on that)

The Fairy garden is nice, love those real tight, slightly random arrangements.... we put a bunch of plants and rocks and statues and gargoyles and stuff on one corner of the yard, but now stuff's grown in so much you'd never know it was anything other than a big jumble of plants

arctangent
07-02-2004, 10:19 AM
personally i loathe gardening. i hate getting mud on my hands, i dislike worms intensely and slugs and snails are the spawn of the devil :eek: !

luckily, my garden is only small and easily managed with some lovely smelling honeysuckle along one side and a big hydranger in the corner. there are some other plants too, but i have no idea what they are. green fingered i am not. i do enjoy sitting out in my little garden though. as long as no weeding is invloved.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Hey R2, those birds of paradise you took pictures of...they grow like weeds down here in So. Cal ;) And they attrack humming birds by the tons. When I first moved down here 6 years ago I was awed by the birds of paradise and everybody else (who lived here already) hated them :confused: I still love them to this day and I love sitting out on the bench by work (there's lots of BOP's out there) and watching the humming birds...I LOVE hummingbirds!

Thanks for those pictures, they are really nice and I hope you're having a great time in Hawaii. Alas, I do not know those "myster" flowers either :zzz:

:)

I'll get some batteries for my digicam and take some pics of all the stuff we have in our backyard too. One of my favs is a Japanes maple...so beautiful! And our banana plant has grown taller than our garage :eek:

Old Fossil
07-02-2004, 10:39 PM
I've always enjoyed fiddling with plants, though this is only my second year to have a real garden. My tomatoes and bush-type cucumbers are doing all right, although with all the rain we've had here in Mis'sippi, a lot of my crop is rotting on the vine.

I usually also plant sunflowers for the birds, since I am kind of into birds as well. Last year I planted the Mammoth variety of sunflower, and they did okay, getting up to about six or seven feet high; but this year I planted Moonwalkers, which unlike the Mammoth, have multiple heads. So far I have several that are close to twelve feet tall!

I like houseplants, too, but with three cats and a dog, I have to keep the few I have out on our screened-in front porch. I have a Norfolk Island Pine that's a couple of years old (a leftover from a previous Xmas) and quite a few cacti and succulents.

I even managed to integrate my Star Wars hobby into my gardening hobby -- I keep a Scout Trooper on guard, half hidden among the fronds of my Norfolk pine!

I really have TOO MANY hobbies...

mabudonicus
08-06-2004, 07:42 AM
Soooo, in the while that this thread has lain dormant, the garden has been doing really well. It's still not been hot enough for our peppers, hot or sweet, but they're coming along just the same...
I'm getting some pics developed maybe tomorrow, sorry for the delays

ANYWAYS... couple of big changes for next year... first, in a crazy surprise over the last 2 weeks or so, my mom bought the house next door for us, we move in october (easiest move ever, we prolly won't even need help :D), so our garden next year is going to be totally insane, and everyone here will be invited to come view it at their leisure (I know, too far for most, but if you're ever interested in coming to see the falls, PM me, I'm a fine ambassador)

SECOND... new arrivals in the garden... yesterday I rode a few miles to meet this guy I met through my love of carnivorous plants (he grows hundreds of species outdoors year round, stuff I had believed to be really hard to keep)... he had offered me some Opuntia cactii that are winter hardy (not to mention really really cool looking and REALLY nasty, the spikes are mega irritant, have to handle them with BBQ tongs) in trade for a plant I still can't indentify (see above in this thread, if you want to take a shot at it, or there's more pics at the link below, "mystery plant" is the one)
after he was done with the cactii, he started plucking out a bunch of carnivores I had never seen before, S.Flava (a georgian trumpet pitcher plant) D.filiformis (a straight leaved sundew), D.Rotundiflora(I think, it's pretty much the common sundew you may have seen) and also a tiny Venus Flytrap, plus enough of his custom made bog soil to make 2 mini bogs in my garden... I was totally blown away by the gesture, the plants are beautiful and doing really well even after the long bike ride home...

So now I have a bog in my yard, and a cactus stand, AND a new yard as of October 29th

Sorry for the long post, here's the pics (only 4 but they're alright, soon the garden pics will be added here as well)
http://ca.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mabudon2/album?.dir=/75c9&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//ca.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mabudon2/my_photos

InsaneJediGirl
08-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Yeah,I garden as you well know Mabs ;-)Mainly things that dont die I like,or can stand up to FL heat without being put in the shade for summer.Tomatos did bad this year (damn you tomato hornworm) but my bell peppers are on a second crop :) I have house plants,but they dont like being in the house except during a freeze,so the porch is covered.