PDA

View Full Version : Go Speed Racer Go Go!!!!

mabudonicus
06-26-2004, 12:24 PM
all I know is that I saw a picec on the CNN crawl about this... ANYONE know more??? Shoot, it was weird, I had just popped "The Trick Race" out of my VCR (great episode, Speed almost figures out who Racer X is:D)

JJB, looking at you here :beard:

Darth Jax
06-27-2004, 01:51 AM
Speed Racer Update (http://movies.yahoo.com/news/va/20040624/108812038000.html)

last week's news was that vince vaughn would play racer x.

mabudonicus
06-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks DJ, sounds totally sweet :beard:

"I'm going to set the world speed record" -Speed Racer, every day

B'Omarr Monkey
06-27-2004, 05:20 PM
We'll see if this actually gets made this time. I have a friend who was supposed to do FX work on it when it was going to star Johnny Depp as Speed and Nicholas Cage as Racer X. I believe they'd even begun constructing the cars before the movie was scrapped.

I hope the designs for the cars that I've recently seen are not the ones they are planning to use. They look nothing like the cars from the cartoon, and are more of a generic "Batman Forever" Batmobile looking design; lumpy black cars. What's the point in doing Speed Racer if you're not going to embrace the look of the vehicles?

JediTricks
06-27-2004, 10:21 PM
I saw the same crawl Mabs, but they've been saying there's a live-action Speed Racer film coming for 10 years now, tho' I'd love to see one done right. But if they screw up the Mach V, there will be bloodshed!

BTW, if this film minimized Spridle & Chim-Chim, it'd be a good thing. :D

B'Omarr Monkey
06-28-2004, 01:24 AM
In the mid 90s, at the San Diego Comic Con, there was a listing on the schedule for what was billed as: "Spridle and Chim-Chim a One-Man Show." I didn't get to see it for some reason, but can tell you I really wanted to. :cry:

B'Omarr Monkey
06-29-2004, 12:49 AM
This was on the Science Fiction News of the week site:

Vaughn Revs Up Racer

Vince Vaughn has pitched his take on the proposed live-action Speed Racer movie, based on the Japanese animated series, with himself cast as Racer X, Variety reported. Vaughn joins the project as an executive producer, along with David Lane Seltzer, the trade paper reported. Joel Silver and Richard and Lauren Shuler Donner are producing the movie.

Speed Racer has remained a viable title at the studio, despite a decade of false starts, the trade paper reported. Directors as Gus Van Sant, Hype Williams, Alfonso Cuaron and Julien Temple have all been attached at various points.

Vaughn revived Speed Racer by pitching a streamlined take that concentrated more on character and a family angle than budget-busting race scenes, the trade paper reported.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Dusting this thread off and givin' you folks the trailer!

http://movies.aol.com/movie/speed-racer-2008/28066/main

Looks very visual and colorful, as it should be. I'll definately check it out! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
12-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Looks real colorful.....makes me feel all warm inside.

Kidhuman
12-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Looks like carp!!!

BountyHunterScum
12-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Looks like carp!!!

Matthew Fox is racer x and this movie still looks like cow dung. Masterminds behind the matrix? Don't they mean freaks. Why does hollywood change the ethnicity of characters in various sagas?

DarthQuack
12-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Looks like carp!!!

I enjoy carp.

JediTricks
12-08-2007, 01:43 AM
For a split second, I thought they might have gotten it right when they played the original theme music over the company credits, then they burst into the "new" sound and look and within half a second I knew this would be utter garbage. The big hot wheels light up track with all the neon ads? Where the hell did that come from? What the hell did they do to the Mach V?!? WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT UGLY, CHEAP CGI RACING CRAP?!? And I love John Goodman, but he looks totally unhealthy, way too fat to play Pops Racer - especially with such a fake mustache. Christina Ricci as Trixie looks all wrong, as does Speed. What's with that ugly fat kid as Spritle, and Susan Sarandon as Mom Racer??? The Wachowskis are out to prove they had 1 good movie in them and even that may have been stolen, everything else they touch after the first Matrix movie has been utterly ruined, as this appears to be.

I did see Racer X's Shooting Star in there for a second though. And the auto jacks, can't say that's bad. And that shot with Racer X and the japanese guy dressed as classic Speed, that was awesome, they should have gone with that.

El Chuxter
12-08-2007, 02:03 AM
This movie should suck. At least that's what I thought. I clicked on the link. The minute I saw Chim-Chim, things started looking better. The scene of him and Spridle in the trunk nailed it for me. I want to see this opening weekend.

The cheesy CG looks to me like they were trying to capture the old show, and they got it down pretty well.

Keep in mind that, no matter how much you may adore it, the show is cheesy as hell, and that's a lot of the appeal. Even more than Star Trek, even. C'mon, the opening credits is basically this ridiculously silly, happy song and this guy smiling... then suddenly there's a fiery car crash right in the middle of it.

I'll go on the record and say this looks awesome. It looks like, even if you think it doesn't work, the Wachowskis approached it with knowledge of and reverence for the old show, which is more than I can say for this year's turdtastic blockbuster about giant robot lemurs having sex while stepping on people lawns.

JediTricks
12-08-2007, 03:20 AM
Dude, you thought that ugly thing was Spritle?!? I wasn't feeling Chim-chim live action at all, but Spritle, really, that's what grabbed you? They're paying homage to the absolute WORST part of the show with that, and they're doing a particularly sloppy job of it.

The cheesy CG to me looks like Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow on crack, or someone saw Sin City and thought the look of the movie was what made it good.

It's not like Speed crashed in the opening, he's trying to win first and foremost! Granted, Speed often helped out those in need, but c'mon, it's the opening credits showing a car race, there's action to be had!

A friend of mine said this looked "good" to him, and now you with "awesome". I think there's only one answer for this treachery, someone's fooled people into no longer understanding the meaning of those words. It may have been Michael Bay.

El Chuxter
12-08-2007, 04:04 AM
It wasn't Spridle himself, but the confirmation that they stuck Chim-Chim in, and it looks like they'll be just as silly. All we need now is some crazy stop-motion cheap animation of John Goodman bouncing from one leg to another. I'm assuming there will be scenes of Chim-Chim and Spridle doing just about anything for candy and throwing ridiculous amounts of it in their mouths.

And how can you not laugh at the fiery crash in the opening? It's the most incongruous thing, like, ever.

JediTricks
12-09-2007, 02:46 AM
A crash during a race? Yeah, that's hilarious.:Ponder:

El Chuxter
12-09-2007, 03:37 AM
It's funny because it's so ridiculous. Everything in the opening looks like the most childish cartoon ever made, then there's a fiery crash.

You've obviously never watched NASCAR. I doubt there's a fan alive who gives a crap who wins. They just watch for the wrecks.

mabudonicus
12-09-2007, 09:22 AM
The car crash sums up the whole show, actually- I love how it's a kidsd show wityh all that violence, guns come out almost every episode. Racer X kills several folks with no explanation, follow-up or consequences.

It sounds like this film took all of that into account

JT- what problem do you have with the Mach V?? Thing looks perfect IMO, and the guy playing Speed is somehow a dead ringer- at least from the pics I saw
:beard: Iso & Baws
This should be better than the prequels, even

JediTricks
12-12-2007, 12:30 AM
There's a modified single-seater with some crazy jet engine around a curved spoiler, like they had to rebuild it partway through the film for some reason and decided to turn it into something else. And I hate the steering wheel with the tv screen in it.

mabudonicus
12-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Ok, I still like the look of the Mach V and after finally seeing the trailer (like times in a row) I am STOKED. EVERYTHING looks SO good- I don't know what you guys watched (thos who hateit) but even the family shot of the Racers is perfect. The last scene with Racer X talking with the Shooting Star on "display" (but somehow "posed" to look like it's in action" gave me goosebumps.
:beard: Iso & Baws
Don't worry tho, I ain't gonna pull a Tycho :D

El Chuxter
12-12-2007, 04:28 PM
JT, will you at least concede that it looks better and more faithful than Transformers? (Of course, I can't think of much that wouldn't be.)

JediTricks
12-14-2007, 03:03 PM
In what way Chux? At this point, I'm not ready to concede that.

El Chuxter
12-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Transformers was a lousy adaptation. The factions were called Autobots and Decepticons, and a few of them had names that we've seen before. Aside from that, no resemblance to any previous incarnation at all.

Given that Bay made his s***ty alien invasion movie and slapped the Transformers label on it to bring in a few more suckers, and the Wachowskis seem to (misguided though you may think they are) be trying to adapt the original incarnation of Speed Racer, I think it's a given that it's more faithful.

JediTricks
12-14-2007, 04:27 PM
I really don't know where you get the idea that this is a faithful adaptation of the original Speed Racer, who never raced in Mario Kart 64 on an overadvertised Rainbow Road track while playing F-Zero, not that I can remember anyway.

El Chuxter
12-14-2007, 04:33 PM
So if they were a bunch of squirrels named Speed, Trixie, Pops, and Racer-X, sitting around and eating corn from Farmer John's field, it would be more faithful to you?

'Cause that's essentially what Transformers was.

JediTricks
12-16-2007, 04:49 PM
No hyperbole there.

mabudonicus
03-18-2008, 06:39 PM
That second trailer looks even better, MAN May is gonna be exciting film-wise
:beard: Iso&Baws
The addition of some of the original sound effects is AWESOME

Rocketboy
03-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Still looks like an N64 game.

General_Grievous
03-18-2008, 09:53 PM
That second trailer pretty much sealed the deal for me. I will see this movie in theaters (no matter how badly it may make me dizzy). It seems like they managed to turn Racer X into even more of a bada-- than in the cartoon.

mabudonicus
04-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Well, a bunch more stuff about the 'webs featuring bits and pieces of this sucker

the newest international trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKgKdTwXB_U)

And this (http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?cl=7388373) one has the most "long" cuts in it, gives a better look at some pretty wacky sequences

:bored: Iso&Baws
it wasn't ALWAYS bored

JediTricks
04-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Wow, it looks even worse than I feared. They took the "cartoony video game" feel to even worse proportions than the first trailers showed. I guess they'll be lauded for reinventing Speed Racer, but man does this not work for me, I've already played F-zero and SW:Podracer.

El Chuxter
04-15-2008, 08:17 PM
You'll have to forgive JT, he's got that disease that turns him prematurely into a cranky geezer who doesn't realize the world is passing him by even while he rallies against change, you know, "Oldfart's Syndrome". Don't worry pops, we'll all go back to dancing the Bartman soon enough, and you can then complain that parachute pants are scary... oh, and grumbling about young people shaving swear words into their hair.

:p

DarthQuack
04-15-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm looking forward to this, looks like it'll be fun to watch on the big screen with all the colors.

JediTricks
04-16-2008, 02:55 PM
You'll have to forgive JT, he's got that disease that turns him prematurely into a cranky geezer who doesn't realize the world is passing him by even while he rallies against change, you know, "Oldfart's Syndrome". Don't worry pops, we'll all go back to dancing the Bartman soon enough, and you can then complain that parachute pants are scary... oh, and grumbling about young people shaving swear words into their hair.

:p
It looks bad on its own and it looks bad as Speed Racer. That's different from complaining about the Millennium Falcon being the end of times, gramps. :p

El Chuxter
04-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Funny, I think it looks like a fun movie on its own, and a worthy live-action version of Speed Racer. This looks like it's going to be a live-action interpretation that doesn't feel the need to completely re-invent the wheel, nor to add pointless masturbation jokes to force a PG-13 rating to make it seem "cooler."

And you'll just have to forgive me if I'm wary of suddenly getting a lot of huge, constantly denied pieces from the company that ran Marvel Legends from one of the biggest toy lines out there to cancelled carp in barely a year, and that canned the Unleashed line because it didn't show growth of 95% in 2005 like the smaller figures (never minding that there were about 30 times as many figures in that year as in all prior years combined).

Between this and GIJoe, if they look as good as advance info is indicating, I'm willing to forgive Hollywood for s***fest adaptations like Transformers and Ghost Rider and Spider-Man 3.

JediTricks
04-17-2008, 07:23 PM
That's a lot of faith to give the guys who made the Matrix sequels so incredibly bad.

El Chuxter
04-17-2008, 07:36 PM
They made V for Vendetta so incredibly good, though.

JediTricks
04-17-2008, 08:38 PM
They didn't direct it though, whereas with Matrix films and here, they are directing too.

mabudonicus
04-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Yeah, but the matrix was some sort of metaphysical/phorical mess, Speed Racer is about a guy who is the best driver on earth who only wants to win every race, it'll never come down to Speed ruling the world of fighting an army of racer x (unless it's in a dream but from the clips I've seen the Racer X arc gets pretty much completed in the first film, which while a little nufortunate, makes sense- asking people to not figure it out after a couple hours and millions of hints would be just a tad much)

Speed Racer is supposed to be fun, not so much cool, and it looks like the core "fun" is intact- no grim post-apocalyptic wasteland, no stupid night-black army vehicles in place of the original cars, no psycho-drama (tho he WILL hallucinate when he takes the GRX for a joyride, there's a clip of that in one of the trailers that looks pretty much exactly like the same scene in the original show)
The fact that they didn't go "dark" with it is enough to give me high hopes, seeing what I've seen I'm pretty much totally sold, the biggest concession made that I've seen is that the Mammoth Car is just a huge, normal (meaning jointed behind the cab) rig..

:bored: Iso&Baws

If you weren't at least a little gleeful to see Racer X hit his jump skis and punch that other dude RIGHT in the FACE at like 300 MPH I don't know what you would like :D

JediTricks
04-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Speed Racer is supposed to be just outside the realm of reality, a smidge beyond, not some cartoonishly over-the-top video game environment with joysticks controlling swords and shields popping out of wheel hubs. Nobody did acrobatics on the show as convoluted as this CGI mess, that face-punch is what I'm talking about, the auto-jacks got Speed over chasms, not into mid-air slapfights.

El Chuxter
05-02-2008, 03:52 PM
JT, I think you'll have to agree with me on one thing:

The movie cannot possibly be as bad as the Speed Racer: The Next Generation cartoon airing on Nickelodeon.

JediTricks
05-02-2008, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't know, I was careful enough to steer clear of the later cartoon series (I hear the '90s Japanese one wasn't bad but didn't translate well).

El Chuxter
05-04-2008, 03:30 AM
This is a second American remake/sequel. It just started airing on Nickelodeon. It's horrible. Absolutely horrible. The basic premise is actually solid, and there are some clever homages to the original (it's set a generation later), but the writing is weak, the animation is some of the worst I've seen, and, since it's painfully trying to be more "updated" and "hip," those flaws aren't charming like the original. (There's a difference between shoddy melding of bad 2D and 3D animation, versus long sections of characters not moving during convoluted internal monologue, awwwwwwww.)

JediTricks
05-04-2008, 08:25 PM
I don't get it, this isn't a hard concept to produce - kid likes to drive, comes from a family of racers, other racers are cheaters and spies, he gets caught up, his car has a few nifty tricks too. But they always have to screw with that formula.

El Chuxter
05-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I've been re-watching the old show in preparation to see the movie, and I'd forgotten how cheesy it was. It's about one million times cheesier than I remember, which was cheesy enough to supply the entire Chuck E Cheese company for six years.

Like in the very first two-parter, Skull Duggery's car falls into a volcano and Speed has to save him. Duggery says they'll have to finish the race together in the Mach 5, but Ace Deucely (gotta love these names!) steals the Mach 5 and Speed has to chase him alone in one of Ace's henchmen's cars. Then, when he rejoins the race after knocking Ace off a cliff (which seems to just knock him out), Duggery's got his car again! Where did it come from? Was Gollum hiding in the volcano and drove it out? It's a plot hole you could drive the freaking Mammoth Car through, but the show is so silly you don't even question it after a second or two.

Honestly, the reason the movie looks so good to me is that it appears to be that incredibly rare motion picture adapted from something old and kinda silly that doesn't try to take itself seriously and "modernize" the property based on the erroneous assumption that people are somehow more evolved and sophisticated than they were a few decades ago. What was the last movie like that? Dick Tracy?

Truth is, I'll be disappointed if there aren't some glaring plot holes and laughable deus ex machinas herein.

JediTricks
05-04-2008, 09:14 PM
I have no problem with plot holes in Speed Racer, it's the tone of the race that matters to me, and that's what they've sold their souls on with this film.

JON9000
05-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I always found the old cartoon to be fairly unwatchable... something to have on while doing something else, so I won't be disappointed if it doesn't conform to the cartoon. I'm looking forward to the movie as an exercise in sheer "Flash Gordon" style idiocy with sweetest color pallette since "Suspiria."

mabudonicus
05-09-2008, 01:21 PM
SPEED RACER (http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/speedracer.html?showVideo=1)
that's the first few minutes of the film supposedly and it really looks sharp man I can't believe it's 5 hours away
I am SO excited it hurts, kinda

JON9000
05-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Haha, good sig line. The best thing about those old shows was the dialogue.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-10-2008, 12:26 PM
caught it last night and it was a mixed bag of tricks. I really enjoyed the racing scenes and the performances, but it felt like it was trying to do too much. The racing scenes themselves are really fun to watch as it really feels like a live action anime style of filmmaking. There was way too much mumbo jumbo about stocks, buying out companies, etc, etc that just felt out of place in a kids film. They could have cut some of Royalton's scenes down by about 4 minutes and still gotten their point across about him; though, I did enjoy seeing the Voice of London as he played his part REALLY well.

Plus, it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long by about 30 minutes. Had it been a trimmer, tighter film, i'd be raving about it. The kids in the theater ate it up though, especially some of the silly humor between Chim Chum and Spritle, especially when they chime in to give a warning about a kissing scene. I will say that I enjoyed the huge amount of heart that the film had. Everything Speed does, he does for his family and there is a great chemistry between the whole family.

Overall, did i enjoy it? Yes, but it could have been a bit leaner. I'm sure SR fanboys will complain to the moon about it though as its' not the exact cartoon.

I'd give it **1/2 out of ****

mabudonicus
05-10-2008, 01:10 PM
JON, gotta give credit to Chux for that one seriously- it is rather ironic given what actually ends up happening in the film but saying more would enrage Chux, it literally blew my mind at two different points, the Racer X thing did, I'll leave it at "We made a great team out there, it's like we've been doing it for years"

Personally I thought the movie was damn near perfect. The Mammoth Car was great, the races were excellent, the characters were ALL done perfectly. Racer X was awesome, especially in the weird part in the middle when he kinda lightens up (after chasing Speed to try and mellow him out after his freak-out at the result of the Helixicon) with the first indication being the line "JESUS kid you can DRIVE" (that part made me smile SO hard it hurt)

The sheer insanity of the visuals is indescribable, the number of total breathless moments would be difficult to accurately count.

Another cool thing is the way the film shifted back and forth through the timelines, quickly jumping to flashbacks to flesh out what was happening in the present (how the hell many flashbacks WERE there in that thing even man I lost count after the first 10 minutes)

I can't recall how to do inviso text so I will avoid any true spoilers here cos a true fan would NOT want to know a BUNCH of things about how it shakes down before they were to see it

I would give it a solid 8.5/10 but I have a feeling that more viewings will bring more details to light and that rating could rise slightly

OH and agreed on the Royalton scenes being too long, but it wasn't that much of an issue- I had NO problem with the elements concerning the takeover etc, as the characters were SO cartoony that kids would TOTALLY get the "good guy/bad guy" thing- when Speed called Royalton the Devil that was freaking COOL- ironic that a summer blockbuster would push the anti-corporate thing so much but there ya go

I have NEVER been SO excited watching a film, I was damn near destroyed a bunch of times by the combination of what can only be described as "sweetness" of the whole thing, the totally ridiculous visuals (when Speed finally BECOMES the race there at the end was outrageous) and the totally perfect performances by literally EVERYONE in the film

JediTricks
05-13-2008, 05:07 AM
Daaaaaamn! Originally, the "experts" lowballed their prediction for opening weekend and said it'd make $30 to $40 mil, coming in second behind Iron Man. Then early Monday the estimates said Speed Racer came in second at just $20.2 mil, making it a staggering loss for Warner Bros who reportedly pumped over $300 mil into the production and marketing, and that $0.2 mil was what kept it #2 instead of #3, with the much maligned What Happens in Vegas coming in just under $20.2mil. However, when Sunday's final tally came in, apparently Speed Racer was #3 for the weekend, What Happens in Vegas made $20.172 mil but Speed only made $18.56 mil. WHAT THE F???? And it bombed on overseas take too at $12 mil. Now I kinda want to see it just on the curiosity of how it bombed so hard on opening weekend.

The numbers say that it made over $1000 less per theater than What Happens in Vegas, and around 1/5th of what Iron Man makes per theater. They're talking "one of the biggest flops in cinema history" which I think is a tad too harsh (Poseidon anyone?), we've seen 'em tank harder, but making a combined 1/10th return on opening weekend is not likely to see "sequel" in its future.

I watched a clip of the film on TV, when Speed was in the Mach 6 and they're racing, he intentionally hits a car and sends it careening into a billboard, that seemed so UN-Speed Racer to me. Granted, the cockpit fills with foam and saves the driver, but it still seems like something the character shouldn't do, either they should attack him first or should cause their own wrecks, Speed shouldn't be doing that sort of thing deliberately.

mabudonicus
05-13-2008, 09:23 AM
In the scene you saw JT, that's one of 2 drivers- they're coming ito a turn and Sparky wars Speed that 2 members of the car acrobatic team are fixing to make a move on him coming into the straightaway- he jumps over the first guy then when he hits the ground the guy going right under him is screwed by the lack of Mach 6 to hit and stuff goes wrong from there. Speed is super-honourable throughout the film, he only resorts to more dangerous tactics in a race where guys are actually getting killed

The awful box-office sucks too, time will tell how good this film truly was, and I'm glad it was done so well and included so many elements, if this is all we get then so be it- tho I seriously don't believe it's the film driving the poor numbers, and it should be damn huge in Japan and SE Asia simply cos of Rain being in it
Everyone should see it

El Chuxter
05-13-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm just glad it squeaked by well enough to be playing five times on Friday so I can finally see it. :)

Critics universally panned it, though everything I saw as far as reviews was by people who obviously didn't "get" it. I mean by saying that that a large numbers of critics were actually complaining how stupid it was that this guy was literally named Speed Racer. Hello? This isn't new stuff here.

Honestly, I expect to see this twice before Iron Man, simply because I bet it'll be on DVD sooner. (After the initial "those are sweet special effects!" wore off and I remembered I never liked Iron Man, I just can't get excited about that. Sure, it's supposed to be good, but the same people who liked it for the most part thought that ROTS was the best (or second best) SW movie ever, and that Transformers was mind-blowingly great. Oh, and I disagree with most of these people about Hulk, too. My hopes just aren't high, regardless of how pretty the effects look.)

Droid
05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Honestly, the reason the movie looks so good to me is that it appears to be that incredibly rare motion picture adapted from something old and kinda silly that doesn't try to take itself seriously and "modernize" the property based on the erroneous assumption that people are somehow more evolved and sophisticated than they were a few decades ago. What was the last movie like that? Dick Tracy?

I thought Dick Tracy was a great movie.

mabudonicus
05-13-2008, 11:19 AM
I think Chux was actually defending it for trying so hard to stick to the source- had it been "updated" to be happening in the 80's and had people using terms like "grody" and "totally awesome" and been made all dark and gritty, it would have been over-modernized to the extent that it might as well have been a different property

The only changes to the Speed Racer property were that Sparky has an accent, the Mammoth Car is not as big and Racer X wears black (which works very well against the colour pallatte as he looks TOTALLY ridiculously out-of-place in every shot except the night-time ones, where he is Batman basically sans cape)
The reviewers mostly didn't even see the film, I gurantee- at least they didn't see the film I saw

TeeEye7
05-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Critics universally panned it, though everything I saw as far as reviews was by people who obviously didn't "get" it.

Shades of The Wizard of Oz. It, too, was panned when it was released in 1939. Look at its status now. Who knows how things will shake out with Speed Racer in the future?

Both movies had big budgets. Both had/have impressive special effects. Both were/might be considered commercial flops (at the time). One has been deemed a classic; and the other....?

I'm stuck by the similarities.

El Chuxter
05-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Dick Tracy was a great movie. But if they'd tried to update it, we'd be left with a rank turd like The Shadow or The Phantom--other films of heroes from the same time period, produced around the same time, that tried to mess with perfection and screwed it up badly. Dick Tracy also had the benefit of the crazy color palette, which makes it enjoyable as an experiment even for people who otherwise didn't like it.

It's a good thing they did tinker with Racer X's costume. How the hell did no one ever notice he wore the "M" that stood for Mifune Motors in Japan and Mach 5 in America?

mabudonicus
05-13-2008, 03:03 PM
ohhh Chux, for the record you are practically setting yourself up for this film and you're gonna be shattered for some time- and anyone reading along, PLEASE don't mention ANYTHING about the Racer X plotline here as I've already driven Chux mad hinting at the (in my view) INSANE things they did with his character- all perfectly in the spirit of the original show but all's I'm saying is as a pretty admittedly hardcore fan of the original I think I had a Vader-esque "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" moment in at least 4 instances involving that character

Chux is gonna be FLOORED, and that's all you have to know- less than halfway through the film it all gets insane RE Speed and his being reminded of his Brother (and he's not a fake OR a ghost, Chux, he's a real dude of some nature)

JediTricks
05-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Critics universally panned it, though everything I saw as far as reviews was by people who obviously didn't "get" it. I mean by saying that that a large numbers of critics were actually complaining how stupid it was that this guy was literally named Speed Racer. Hello? This isn't new stuff here.That's a cheap shot, I read some of the reviews, they weren't dumping on it despite the material. And Roeper and Michael Phillips gave it fair marks on At The Movies.

Honestly, I expect to see this twice before Iron Man, simply because I bet it'll be on DVD sooner. (After the initial "those are sweet special effects!" wore off and I remembered I never liked Iron Man, I just can't get excited about that. Sure, it's supposed to be good, but the same people who liked it for the most part thought that ROTS was the best (or second best) SW movie ever, and that Transformers was mind-blowingly great. Oh, and I disagree with most of these people about Hulk, too. My hopes just aren't high, regardless of how pretty the effects look.)I think Iron Man kicked monster ***, my favorite film of the year so far, yet I haaaaated ROTS and TF, and my mom didn't care for either and loved Iron Man, made me take her to see it again on Mother's Day (my step-dad liked it too, even better the second time). Iron Man does what it does very well, and it does it on the big screen very well (I love the flight scenes, that's the genesis of the movie's "modernized" suit), to sell it out because you don't like the comics character that much isn't really fair.

The only changes to the Speed Racer property were that Sparky has an accent, the Mammoth Car is not as big and Racer X wears black (which works very well against the colour pallatte as he looks TOTALLY ridiculously out-of-place in every shot except the night-time ones, where he is Batman basically sans cape)Yeah, Racer X is unchanged... except now he's Batman? Oh, and Speed Racer lives in a giant crazy Hot Wheels fantasy world that's like an acid trip with a brain injury? ;) C'mon, don't feed me that line of bull, I'm sick of hearing how true it is to the original material, the trailers make it clear that the whole world these guys built for Speed is untrue to the original.

The reviewers mostly didn't even see the film, I gurantee- at least they didn't see the film I sawCareful mabs, that can always be turned around to point out that perhaps you didn't see the movie that it was. :p

Dick Tracy was a great movie. But if they'd tried to update it, we'd be left with a rank turd like The Shadow or The Phantom--other films of heroes from the same time period, produced around the same time, that tried to mess with perfection and screwed it up badly. Dick Tracy also had the benefit of the crazy color palette, which makes it enjoyable as an experiment even for people who otherwise didn't like it.The Shadow isn't so bad, I enjoyed it and even bought some of the toys. I remember me, my sister, and my mom went and saw Dick Tracy on opening day at Disney's then-premiere theater, the Pacific in Westwood, and we ended up kinda liking it but kinda feeling it sucked too, enjoying the theater decor more than the film.

mabudonicus
05-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Naww JT I AM nothing if NOT careful ;)

I meant reviews saying stuff about how the Mach 5 isn't in the film and other things along those lines (not in a remembering mood right now)

Specific, easliy refutable things, to say the least

I am surprised at how vehementley you dislike the look of this film, JT, the damn thing is pure fun

plasticfetish
05-14-2008, 02:02 AM
Saw this with the family this afternoon. We hit a 4:20 showing, and pretty much had the place to ourselves. (Which was very nice.)

We all enjoyed it. I don't have any significant problems with the film. As a fan of the original cartoon, and someone that has a realistic love for what it was, given the time and place that it came from, I found this movie to be a really enjoyable adaptation.

This was a big conversation that my wife and I had before we saw the film, but we were both afraid that they'd play the thing like a joke, hamming it up and really pushing the corny nature of Speed Racer too far. We were both very happy that they didn't. It was great having the juxtaposition between a nearly unbelievable and vibrant world, and then these very serious and intense characters. If it had been all, "Wink-wink, I'm Speed Racer." then it would have sucked. As is, I found myself really buying into this interpretation of the story, which in many of the most important ways, was very much like the cartoon.

And I think it looked great! Very dynamic, and very detail oriented.

El Chuxter
05-14-2008, 02:39 AM
JT, I have to really pick and choose my "theater" movies. I'm about 30 minutes from the theater, I have to arrange for a babysitter, and the crowds at the theaters in this area pretty universally suck. This summer, I'm aiming for Speed Racer, The Dark Knight, Prince Caspian, and possibly Indiana Jones. (Maybe this year I'll see all the movies I'm planning to.) If I had the luxury of seeing more movies in the theater, Iron Man would already have been seen. But I have to pass on a lot of movies that I hear are good and would love to see. I just can't arrange to see them. My comment about seeing SR twice is based on the fact I've already got plans to see it this Friday, and that, since it's doing so remarkably well :rolleyes:, it will probably be on DVD sooner than Iron Man.

My longstanding apathy toward the character of Iron Man is why it's further down on the list. Speed Racer impressed the hell out of me from the first trailer. I can't miss a new Narnia or Batman movie. And, well, the Indy stuff I'm seeing recently looks quite good compared to that dull trailer they released (the Shia LeBoosh scenes notwithstanding).

However, since you admitted to liking The Shadow, I'm going to have to totally disregard everything you say about movies from this point on. :p

JediTricks
05-15-2008, 05:31 PM
I am surprised at how vehementley you dislike the look of this film, JT, the damn thing is pure funI watched the first 7 minutes that was put online, I thought i hated the look before, but now I REALLY loathe it, it's totally untrue to what Speed Racer was about. Futuristic cars everywhere? Hot Wheels jumps? 2d rows of houses whizzing by the streets? Cartoony art mixed with real life characters? That horrible up-close slightly spherical camera lens that this type of greenscreen overload always seems to shove at us? Oh man, I hated it all. I was considering seeing it today, but after that I'm now most likely to stay the hell away.

JT, I have to really pick and choose my "theater" movies. I'm about 30 minutes from the theater, I have to arrange for a babysitter, and the crowds at the theaters in this area pretty universally suck. This summer, I'm aiming for Speed Racer, The Dark Knight, Prince Caspian, and possibly Indiana Jones. (Maybe this year I'll see all the movies I'm planning to.) If I had the luxury of seeing more movies in the theater, Iron Man would already have been seen. But I have to pass on a lot of movies that I hear are good and would love to see. I just can't arrange to see them. My comment about seeing SR twice is based on the fact I've already got plans to see it this Friday, and that, since it's doing so remarkably well :rolleyes:, it will probably be on DVD sooner than Iron Man.

My longstanding apathy toward the character of Iron Man is why it's further down on the list. Speed Racer impressed the hell out of me from the first trailer. I can't miss a new Narnia or Batman movie. And, well, the Indy stuff I'm seeing recently looks quite good compared to that dull trailer they released (the Shia LeBoosh scenes notwithstanding).

However, since you admitted to liking The Shadow, I'm going to have to totally disregard everything you say about movies from this point on. :pFirst off, what's wrong with The Shadow? It's not quite as good as The Rocketeer, but I think it does a very good job of giving that feel of a radio serial/comic world, and Alec Baldwin makes Lamont Cranston a real character without trying put undo weight into the project.

Second, I'm sorry to hear you don't get enough opportunities to get to the theater, that's too bad. I think you know I'm a huge fan of the theater experience, even with all its drawbacks.

Thirdly, if you can find the time, try to make it to Iron Man in theaters, not to bolster box office - it clearly doesn't need it - but because it's a really entertaining movie, one of the better comic book cinematic adaptations, and the first movie ever produced by the comic company itself rather than a hollywood studio, it's something I can't imagine someone like yourself would want to miss.

El Chuxter
05-17-2008, 03:23 AM
It is late. I am tired. I will go into more detail tomorrow if anyone cares.

I got home just a little while ago. I, quite honestly, just had the most fun I've had in a theater since I was eight years old, watching Return of the Jedi.

This movie is being unfairly panned. It is the best film I've seen in many moons. I expected it to be a good movie, and it blew even my expectations totally out of the water.

Put it this way: my wife, who was ambivalent since she thought it looked only okay and knows nothing about Speed Racer, came out of the theater wanting to see it again--in the theater! And I don't want to see Prince Caspian yet, as I'm honestly not sure it can measure up. Not even with Reepicheep. Hell, I'm really questioning whether The Dark Knight can measure up, and I've made no secret of my expectations for that film.

I highly, highly recommend seeing this one on the big screen. The visuals are simply amazing, and the cinematography is possibly the best I've ever seen (particularly one fight scene and one three-way conversation I won't go into detail about now). This will be fun on DVD, but the big screen is the best way to experience it the first time, and, sadly, there won't be too much longer to enjoy it this way.

I really expected this to only be a good movie. Even I didn't expect it to be so superlative. If you don't go in expecting a carbon-copy regurgitation of the cartoon or a "hip" updated version, and can accept that the movie is firmly tongue-in-cheek without being silly, you will have a blast.

Regarding The Shadow, it's been about a decade or more since I saw it (very shortly after it came out on VHS). I don't remember much detail. I only remember being very underwhelmed by it.

jjreason
05-22-2008, 12:21 PM
I can only concur with El Chuxter & Mabs, this was an OUTSTANDING movie.

Let me clarify: I have NO previous Speed Racer experience. I never watched the cartoon, I have no previous knowledge of the show and hence had NO expectations of anything... until I read Mabs & Chuxter's reviews.

I saw this movie with my wife, who knew less about Speed et al than even myself. We BOTH agreed that it was excellent, and have already made up our minds to buy it on Blu-Ray as soon as we can.

In all honesty, there have been VERY few fantasy movies that thrilled me as much as Speed Racer in my adult life - in fact I can think of only one other one off the top of my head: The Matrix.

I give Speed Racer my highest possible recommendation. :thumbsup:

mabudonicus
05-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Right, concur with Chux but leave the bad guy outta your concurring-ness. That's fine :beard:

Seems to me there was only one person out of the group seeing it on opening night, wonder who that was....

Glad ya liked it JJ, I know folks raving about films right after seeing them can be a bit of an over-reaction, but I am careful about these things and had no doubt in my mind that anyone who was around my age and had similar interests would be pretty much floored by the thing- TOLD ya you'd pretty much want to pay US for the recommendation :D
it IS that good

El Chuxter
05-22-2008, 02:16 PM
You have just taken your first step into a larger world.

For those who are interested, Target has an exclusive DVD (which they didn't hype, and I just found out about yesterday when I noticed it on a rack) called "Wonderful World of Racing: The Amazing Racer Family." It's essentially an in-universe documentary, followed by a lengthy promotional spot. The documentary is quite a bit of fun, with plenty of "in-jokes" (like a racer saying that it's all about image now, and any idiot can wear an eyepatch and call himself Sir Francis Brake... while wearing a Viking costume; or the opening, which includes the checkerboard racing effect from the original cartoon opening credits). It runs $10 and includes a coupon for $7.50 off a ticket, so it's worth getting if you haven't seen it or want to see it again.

One promising detail: the credits for the first section (the "mockumentary") mentions that it's coming out in May 2008 and "Coming Soon from Warner Bros Home Entertainment." Hopefully, given this evidence a DVD was underway before the movie was released, and their expectations at that time, the dismal box office performance won't keep them from releasing a super-loaded deluxe edition. I think anyone who wants to own this will be p***ed if there aren't a lot of extras.

jjreason
05-22-2008, 10:23 PM
I apologize Mabs, your rant about it was just as formative to my decision as Chux's - not sure why my brain farted and failed to type you in as an influence. Maybe (Mebe?) it's not too late to edit. :beard:

Great movie.

EDITED: Done and done, my Canadian friend. \m/

El Chuxter
05-22-2008, 10:48 PM
You live in Canada and only have one Canadian friend?

That's kind of sad. :(

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Thought you guys might want to check out the DVD information.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/speed-racer.html

:thumbsup:

RUSHBOY
07-15-2008, 02:17 AM
Thought you guys might want to check out the DVD information.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/speed-racer.html

:thumbsup:

Sweet info!! This movie will soon be mine and I will watch it many times!!
:love:

mabudonicus
07-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Awesome news, not long now at ALL for that sucker- I wonder if there'll be a T-shirt or something on the release date??
I know what I'm doin on the 16th :D :D :D

El Chuxter
07-15-2008, 01:23 PM
The week after my birthday! SWEET!!!

Glad I got the Target DVD (for mabs as well) since that doesn't appear to be on the new release.

El Chuxter
09-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Target's ad listed an "exclusive deluxe version." The first I heard of it was when I opened the paper yesterday, and it gives absolutely no details. No one online (so far as I can tell) knows anything, either. I'm hoping it could have some of the extras that would've been on the 2-disc version, sorta like Target did with TMNT. Hopefully it's not just the earlier exclusive DVD packed in with it.

bigbarada
10-10-2008, 11:10 AM
I watched this on DVD last night and I liked it! It was a little hard to follow at the beginning because it jumps around so much, but I really got caught up in it at the end.

Sometimes the action seemed to move too quickly to keep up, but I think a few repeat viewings will remedy that. I'll wait until the price goes down a bit, then I'll probably buy it.

mabudonicus
10-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Glad you gave it a chance BigB.
Truly a FUN movie that doesn't try to make you suffer. It really "gelled" for me the second time I saw it, but every time I see it again more awesome points become evident- some of the "kinetics" in the race scenes are just insane and real well mapped out, it just takes a couple viewings to figure out exactly what is happening.

I STILL don't own a copy dammit

bigbarada
10-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Glad you gave it a chance BigB.
Truly a FUN movie that doesn't try to make you suffer. It really "gelled" for me the second time I saw it, but every time I see it again more awesome points become evident- some of the "kinetics" in the race scenes are just insane and real well mapped out, it just takes a couple viewings to figure out exactly what is happening.

I STILL don't own a copy dammit

Well, my McDonalds has a RedBox DVD rental machine outside and every time you buy one of those Southern Style Chicken Sandwiches, you get a free movie rental. So I figured I had nothing to lose.

The more I think about the movie, the more I like it. I need to watch it again, but I'll probably just wait to buy the DVD.

(On a side note, I used one of my other free movie rentals to rent The Happening last night and I want my money back.:mad: )

Rocketboy
10-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Truly a FUN movie that doesn't try to make you suffer. The why was I so damn bored and had to suffer for 2 hours?

:D

El Chuxter
10-12-2008, 01:22 AM
The same reason you didn't like Mystery Men and refuse to watch The Blues Brothers: you have no soul! :D

Well, you must have a little bit of soul. You're one of a small handful of folks I know who appreciates Sky Captain.

JediTricks
10-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Just can't admit it's not that good, eh Chux? And I liked Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, so that can't help your argument too much. :p

JediTricks
04-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Chux owes me 2 hours and 15 minutes of my life back. I finally rented it on the basis of the arguments made here, and it was such a drag! I could see where there was a hint of true Speed Racer here and there, but the majority of the film was saying something totally different, and abusing the visual medium in general. It was a visual cacophany and had no idea what it was trying to say, so they just threw everything at it. The stuff with Spritle & Chim Chim was painful levels of pandering, and I kept feeling like if a better writer and editor had been on board here, there could have been an interesting movie made out of this mess, but the first thing to go would be Spritle & Chim Chim. The unbelievability of the race scenes often felt like a video game cut scene, occasionally crossing into something better but then dragging back down some stupid plotpoint or CGI or Spritle. The most interesting race was the convoluted reasoning behind the road rally with the Mach 5, the Casa Cristo, that felt like Speed Racer at times, but the big payoff was incredibly stupid. And what was that whole mess with the racer barons fixing races? And I just hated looking at it, the flat ultra-clean look plus colors and a million shapes was a distraction the entire time. If they had hacked out 1 race, 90% of Spritle & Chim Chim, rewrote the "every race is fixed" subplot to be less unbelievable, and cut it down to a lean 1:30, it might have been a fun movie (although not a very good Speed Racer movie), but it goes on WAY too long and feels extremely "fat" with too much material, too much eye-candy, and way too much setup.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Chux owes me 2 hours and 15 minutes of my life back. I finally rented it on the basis of the arguments made here, and it was such a drag! I could see where there was a hint of true Speed Racer here and there, but the majority of the film was saying something totally different, and abusing the visual medium in general. It was a visual cacophany and had no idea what it was trying to say, so they just threw everything at it. The stuff with Spritle & Chim Chim was painful levels of pandering, and I kept feeling like if a better writer and editor had been on board here, there could have been an interesting movie made out of this mess, but the first thing to go would be Spritle & Chim Chim. The unbelievability of the race scenes often felt like a video game cut scene, occasionally crossing into something better but then dragging back down some stupid plotpoint or CGI or Spritle. The most interesting race was the convoluted reasoning behind the road rally with the Mach 5, the Casa Cristo, that felt like Speed Racer at times, but the big payoff was incredibly stupid. And what was that whole mess with the racer barons fixing races? And I just hated looking at it, the flat ultra-clean look plus colors and a million shapes was a distraction the entire time. If they had hacked out 1 race, 90% of Spritle & Chim Chim, rewrote the "every race is fixed" subplot to be less unbelievable, and cut it down to a lean 1:30, it might have been a fun movie (although not a very good Speed Racer movie), but it goes on WAY too long and feels extremely "fat" with too much material, too much eye-candy, and way too much setup.

one of the few times you and I agree JT; I thought it had some high points, but it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long and had too much nonsense going on to be a really good film.

mabudonicus
04-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Funny, I just got it last week- it looks a bit different on a small screen to be sure, most notably in a way you list as a complaint- that being that when shrunk down the cars got a ton more "glossy", they had a much better sense of "substance" in the theatre, but I still liked it. I'll go halfsies with Chux on the refund :D

Oyes I still stand behind this one

El Chuxter
04-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Sorry you didn't care for it. :(

How about I give you the BAF part that comes with AOTC Beru so you don't have to buy a duplicate Evolutions Jango? :)

JediTricks
04-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Bribery? Sir, my favors cannot be bought! Call the constables, this man is trying to circumvent the matter of law!

How tall is Emile Hirsch? There were a few shots of him standing next to Christina Ricci's Trixie and he was barely a couple inches taller than her. The thing is, Ricci is tiny! She's 5' 1" and his IMDB claims he's 5' 7", I'm kinda doubting even that.

El Chuxter
04-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Bribery? I meant would a random droid part be worth the two hours of your life that you said I owed you? :)

JediTricks
04-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Hmm, an interesting proposition, especially since you already offered me the piece. How can one's life be measured in time vs. goods? Truly a philosophical conundrum. On the other hand, I wants that droid part! ;)