PDA

View Full Version : Would Hasbro expand the VOTC line?

Darth Alex
06-27-2004, 06:52 PM
I plan on getting all 12 of the VOTC figures and if I have extra money, I'll pick up extra Stormtroopers.
I was wondering that if these sell REAL well, what would the chances be of Hasbro expanding the concept to another say, 12 figures?
Here's a wish list of what could be not only done, but would probably sell well:

ANH
Chewbacca (bandolier,Crossbow,SA articulation,2 Falcon communication headsets-one to also go with the VOTC-ANH Han)
R2D2 (accurate dome,plug-in restraining bolt,retractable data-port "tool")
Luke (stormtrooper armor/helmet,seperate hand with communicator,gun,blast effect)
Han (same as above)

ESB
Han (roughed up look with removeable holster,silver-tipped gun,carbonite block,clear stand to make block appear to float)
Boba Fett (SA version like ROTJ VOTC version with blaster effect)
Luke ("snowspeeder" X-wing pilot outfit with blaster,saber,hilt,grenade,tow cable)
Leia (Bespin Escape with redone likeness,SA Articulation,stormtrooper blaster,blast effect)

ROTJ
Emperor (Soft Goods Cloak w/plastic clasp, cane, extra hands for lightening effect, extra face ala Zartan or Zam Wessel to show different expression,Luke's saber hilt)
Royal Guard (Soft Goods on actual body with legs,Metal pike,correct hand position to hold pike)
Luke (Jedi,SA Articulation,2 head scuplts-smug-happy and determined,saber, hilt,Jabba's guard blaster,normal hand,blasted hand,gloved hand,cloak,Rancor pit bone)
Vader (SA Articulation,cape with chain clasp,saber,hilt,slashed hand with wires sticking out,normal hand,2-piece removeable helmet-Anakin head inside)

I love what I've seen in and out of the package so far from this OTC sub-line.
I just think Hasbro should continue it. Yes, it's $5 more, but even if some of the suggestions I've posed make it, it'd be worth it.

Any thoughts?

Grievous
06-27-2004, 07:07 PM
Yes, I really think they should make more like this. But you have to remember, the bubble is tiny so there can't be too many accessories (like the ones you've listed). And they likely wouldn't make figures that weren't from the vintage line. Here are my picks for more:
ANH
*Death Squad Commander
*Sand People
*R5-D4
*Luke Skywalker: X-wing Pilot
ESB
*Rebel Soldier
*Bespin Security Guard (black)
*4-LOM
*Zuckuss
ROTJ
*Chief Chirpa
*Klaatu
*Bib Fortuna
*Princess Leia Organa (Combat Poncho)
POTF - with coins
*Luke Skywalker (Battle Poncho)
*Han Solo in Carbonite Chamber
*Anakin Skywalker
*Imperial Dignitary

Beast
06-27-2004, 07:12 PM
I think after these 12 iconic figures, they should just go back to the basic figure line. Unless they want to do 12 Prequel figures in the same style. 4 for each movie with super articulation, soft goods, and 'vintage' styled cards. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
06-27-2004, 07:24 PM
If Hasbro believed they could make more money they would do almost anything!

I like JJB's idea, 4 vintage style figures from each of the PT movies would be cool! (Super Articulated Clone for EP2). ;)

I could also go for Hasbro putting out 12 vintage card re-pros like these each year to keep up interest until all 90+ figures have been done. :D

JEDIpartner
06-27-2004, 08:57 PM
I think these were a really good one-off line that they COULD expand to the prequels. The only question... what cards would they use to promote those lines?

Turbowars
06-27-2004, 09:14 PM
I don't think it really matters. How about the up coming OTC.

jjreason
06-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Because of the cost, I'm certain that any further entries made into this line would be variations of the key characters. However much we'd like to see background characters created this nicely, the chances are too great that they wouldn't sell at the higher price. That being said, it would be nice to get the key characters in the rest of their vintage outfits, a Biker Scout, and the Bounty Hunters - who would be the exception to the a/n background character rule.

tnswman
06-27-2004, 10:10 PM
TPM
- Qui-gon
- Padme
- Anakin
- Darth Maul

AOTC
- Clone Trooper
- Dooku
- Yoda
- Jango Fett

ROTS ;)
- Anakin or Vader
- Kenobi
- Palpatine
- Grevious

Of course this leaves out Mace, Chewbacca, Jedi, Kaminos, etc...

Kidhuman
06-28-2004, 12:49 AM
Ack a spoiler!!!

I would hope Hasbro would expand this line. I would love to see other characters made into SA figures from the OT. They dont have to be obscure characters, but some would be cool, like army builders and such. Maybe a SA rebel commando or Imp. Officers, or fleet troopers.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-28-2004, 01:17 AM
Minus the accesories, which Greivous pointed out would not fit in the coffin bubbles, I think Darth Alex had pretty good selection of the sort of figures hasbro would consider. I hate soft goods at this scale, and just need to remind everyone to look at VOTC Obi-Wan to see why. So, no soft goods.

I'm all for PT figures in a VPTC line, but when I first heard Hasbro was releasing a new vintage style line of figures, i had the impression that the figures were also going to be in the style of the original vintage line, vs the SA figures we are getting (not that I'm complaining). Having said that, i think it would be great to get some prequel charcters done in the same style as the original vintage figures. It would be the first time I didn't groan at hearing about yet another Qui-Gon, or Darth Maul release.

dindae
06-28-2004, 01:59 AM
As long as they have the SA of the current series I wouldn't mind the higher price point but there are a lot of characters like senators, imperial dignitaries, and some aliens that I don't need to see in a hundred different poses. So I guess if they keep to core characters and main outfits (I don't need a SA Lando in smugglers outfit) then I would like it to continue. Of course if they can give it to me without the clamshell and packaging for $5 I would prefer that.

Darth Alex
06-28-2004, 09:25 AM
The point about the Prequel characters getting a VOTC treatment is a very good one. I agree-I wouldn't groan about a Maul, Ep1 Obi, or a Qui-Gon done this way.

Kidhuman
06-28-2004, 09:34 AM
Prequel Characters would be awesome in this style. Iwouldnt complain much about any character given in this style really. Not to say I would pay the ten bucks for some secondary character with less than 3 seconds of screen time.

Agent23
06-28-2004, 01:23 PM
I'd love a Prequel VOTC Line. That would rock, being displayed next to the OTC Vintage line.

aceguide
06-28-2004, 01:27 PM
More = better.

It is a very nice line and should live a long life.

bigbarada
06-28-2004, 01:28 PM
Technically, wouldn't producing prequel figures in the VOTC line make it a little difficult to call this the ORIGINAL TRILOGY Collection? ;)

Agent23
06-28-2004, 01:32 PM
Technically, yes. But who's keeping count? Give us the figures!!! :crazed:

mark2d2
06-28-2004, 02:04 PM
Personally, I'm ambivalant about seeing Prequel characters on this style of cards.

Frankly, I'd rather just see more OT figures instead. My dream list:

R5-D4 (will I EVER get this guy done properly?)
POWER DROID (with "vintage" white stripe.)
JAWA (cloth cape.)
SAND PEOPLE (cloth cape.)
SNAGGLETOOTH (Blue Vintage never before carded screw-up!)
GREEDO (soft goods vest.)
HAMMERHEAD (soft goods.)
2-1B (improved arm sculpt!)

plo koon 200
06-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Actually what I would love to see is a wave 2 with the POTF, Ewoks, and Droids toys with coins. This would finally allow Hasbro to remake Vlix.

vadersvette
06-28-2004, 10:20 PM
My "short" list....
VOTC Star Wars - series 2
1. R5-D4 :D
2. Death Squad Commander
3. Jawa
4. Death Star Droid
VOTC Empire Strikes Back - series 2
1. AT-AT Driver
2. Imperial Commander
3. Han Solo - Bespin
4. Bespin Guard
VOTC Return of the Jedi - series 2
1. Leia - Boushh
2. Emperor's Guard
3. Admiral Ackbar
4. Darth Vader (2 pc Helmet, etc)
VOTC Power of the Force - series 1
1. Luke - Stormtrooper
2. Han Solo - Carbonite
3. Imperial Gunner
4. A-Wing Pilot
VOTC Power of the Force - series 2
5. Anakin Skywalker
6. Han Solo - Trench Coat
7. B-Wing Pilot
8. Lumat
PTC :D Phantom Menace (vintage styled card) - Series 1
1. Obi-Wan
2. Qui-Gon
3. Darth Maul
4. Queen Amidala - battle
PTC Phantom Menace - Series 2
5. Anakin Skywalker
6. Droideka (folds up)
7. Jar-Jar Binks :rolleyes:
8. Watto
PTC AOTC (using the AOTC logo, not the episode II logo) series 1
1. Anakin
2. Obi-Wan
3. Jango Fett
4. Count Dooku
PTC AOTC - Series 2
5. Yoda
6. Mace Windu
7. Padme (any dress-preferably one not made yet)
8. Clone Trooper
PTC Episode 3 - Series 1
1. "Clormtrooper"
2. Grievious
3. Obi-Wan
4. Anakin - Jedi
PTC Episode 3 - Series 2
5. Anakin/Vader
6. Padme
7. Chewbacca (?)
8. Palpatine

Also, although not a votc figure, but with the VOTC quality: Han Solo Stormtrooper Disguise
And an Endor/DS2 Luke:crazed:

Kidhuman
06-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Technically, wouldn't producing prequel figures in the VOTC line make it a little difficult to call this the ORIGINAL TRILOGY Collection? ;)

Well, rumor mill says that Pablo Jill, Wookie Senator, and Sly Moore will be released on this style card, but with out the OTC logo on the packaging. SO Hasbro can follow suit and do the PT SA figures.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-29-2004, 01:13 AM
Personally, I'm ambivalant about seeing Prequel characters on this style of cards.

Frankly, I'd rather just see more OT figures instead. My dream list:

R5-D4 (will I EVER get this guy done properly?)
POWER DROID (with "vintage" white stripe.)
JAWA (cloth cape.)
SAND PEOPLE (cloth cape.)
SNAGGLETOOTH (Blue Vintage never before carded screw-up!)
GREEDO (soft goods vest.)
HAMMERHEAD (soft goods.)
2-1B (improved arm sculpt!)

Why on earth do you want a soft goods Greedo or a soft goods Momaw Nadon?

rust
06-29-2004, 02:02 PM
If we're grtting more VOTC Figs, here's my wishlist:

ANH:
Tusken Raider
Jawa
Greedo
Luke in Ceremonial Clothes

ESB:
Luke in Snowspeeder Uniform and lightsaber
Bossk
IG-88
Lobot w/Ugnaught

RotJ:
Gamm. Guard
Jedi Luke
Royal Gaurd
Emperor

evenflow
06-29-2004, 03:10 PM
Well I think they shoudl just make all the figures this well. I wil be buying the VOTC, while passing on all of the OTC except for the new ones.

bigbarada
06-29-2004, 03:28 PM
If Hasbro abandoned all modern card designs and began to produce figures exclusively with the vintage style packaging, they would get no complaints from me.

Like I said in my review for the VOTC Han, these are the best modern card designs simply because they aren't modern designs.

General Grievous
07-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Hmmmm I was just thinking about this today and this is the line I thought of:

A New Hope/ Star Wars:
Tusken Raider
Grand Moff Tarkin
Jawa
Luke in Stormtrooper outfit

The Empire Strikes Back:
Wedge Antilles
Admiral Piett
Bossk
IG-88

Return of the Jedi
Emperor
Royal Guard
Admiral Ackbar
Wicket the ewok

And if Hasbro wants to do prequels here:
TPM:
Darth Maul
Qui Gon Jinn
Nute Gunray
Padme Amidala

AOTC
Count Dooku
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Clone Commander
Jango Fett

III
Darth Vader/ Anakin
General Grievous
Yoda
Sidious

plo koon 200
07-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Technically, wouldn't producing prequel figures in the VOTC line make it a little difficult to call this the ORIGINAL TRILOGY Collection? ;)okay, the VPTC. Happy now?