PDA

View Full Version : " How much did you love the Lord of the Rings movie?"

Sith Worm
12-18-2001, 06:42 PM
Well lets hear it boys, i'll be sure to tell you my opinion at about 4 a.m. even though I can tell you it right now. One of the greatest movies of all time and if you think this is good wait until The Two Towers is released!

Wolfwood319
12-18-2001, 10:03 PM
3 hours to go, I'll let you know in 6.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-18-2001, 10:24 PM
Going tomorrow night with 2 of my brothers and one of my homies (if I can get tickets, they are hotta than Gawja ashphalt!)

My older brother is a Trilogy of the Rings nut and told me that he thinks the movie will be better than Star Wars ANH (needless to say I was offended :mad: ). However I haven't seen the movie yet so I cannot judge-- yet!

bigbarada
12-18-2001, 10:41 PM
Considering how Lucas drew from LOTR for his inpiration, I don't think this will be the last time we see SW and LOTR compared to each other.

Personally, I prefer medievil-fantasy based stories to sci-fi. Star Wars is just that rare film that forces me to make an exception.

A few more hours to go........:)

Rollo Tomassi
12-19-2001, 04:42 AM
Gentlemen,

I wish words could describe this lump in my throat and this smile on my face. I cheered at its vastness and its detail. I wept at its beauty. It brings a melancholy joy to my heart. To see young Frodo and Gandalf in the Shire. To see the Fellowship in the deep caves of Moira. To wonder at its spectacle. Tolkein would be proud.

Truly the best film of the year.

Wolfwood319
12-19-2001, 04:49 AM
Without a shadow of a doubt, the best movie ever to grace the silver screen, period!

I was dumbfounded at the richness of the scenery, the acting was the best I've seen in 10 years, I went breathless at the battle of Moria, and I shed a tear when Boromir died.

When the film was over, the sold out crowd got up and left the theatre without more than 10 words spoken by us all. I say men weeping, honest to God.

How anyone, Tolkien fan or not, can even fathom anything wrong with this picture is beyond me.

If the other 2 films are half as good as this one, the series will no doubt surpass my love and admiration for Star Wars and become my favorite films of all time.

Darth Cruel
12-19-2001, 09:30 AM
The movie I have waited 21 years for is on the silver screen today, and I am working 350 miles from home and promised my fiance that I would wait to see it together with her when I get home for Christmas...ON MONDAY!

I am envious of those of you who have seen the movie and quite happy to hear those of you who loved it!

Starfig873
12-19-2001, 12:07 PM
Honestly. I liked it. I thought it was a beautiful movie, I especially loved the locations used...simply stunning. And yet, I still feel it was a little on the "blah" side. It didn't make me feel as though it had changed my life after watching it, nor did it dissapoint me. I saw it as a great movie. But nothing phenomenal.

I dare not go see it again, that's another three hours that I don't want to be stuck in a theater. It's not that it there wasn't a special feeling sitting there watching it...its just, I don't know.
I saw it, and I'm content with it.

I await the next movie with open arms. Mainly because I think that the first movie is always the stepping stone into a larger, greater world ;)

How anyone, Tolkien fan or not, can even fathom anything wrong with this picture is beyond me.

I'm quite beyond you then. Aren't I? :)

master jedi
12-19-2001, 04:24 PM
I went to the midnight showing of LotR: Fellowship of the Ring lastnight and all I have to say is is that you guys will not be disappointed.
The beginning is the best part. Some parts are a little slow though.
I think they could have done better with the special effects.
It was awesome seeing Sauron fighting in that war at the beginning. He would knock at least 5-8 people back with one swing of his sword with one hand.

I give it two big thumbs up.

master jedi
12-19-2001, 04:32 PM
It was a great movie. The best part was the beginning.

Boba Rhett
12-19-2001, 07:33 PM
I went with mj. :) This is kind of a review....kind of a, "Cool things from the movie" post. :D

*There's probably spoilers in here*

The movie starts with a description of whatís happened to the ring through time. From the forging of it and the other rings to when Bilbo found it. In these first scenes some of the coolest battles happen. "It shows the amazing battle were the ring is cut off of Sauronsí hand! SWEET!"

It then goes to Gandalf going to Hobbiton blah blah blah you know the story. The only complaint I have about the first part of the movie was that it goes a bit to fast. They made trip, "as far as they got anyway" seem like it didn't take very long and it feels likes it's jumping a bit. This also causes you to wonder why the fellowship begins to care so much for each other.

I only jumped one time during the movie and that was when Bilbo saw the ring again around Frodosí neck and asks to see it. When Frodo started closing his shirt again so he couldnít see it, Bilbo makes a little jump at him and you see him transform a little into kind of what Gollum looks like.

In the battle were Boromir is killed, he takes three HUGE arrows to the chest from the leader orc/goblin thingy. The leaders about to shoot another one into his face but Aragorn stops him and they get into a big fight were Aragorn cuts the leaders arm off....at least I think he did, and then stabs him in the chest and cut his head off. The coolest part of this scene was that when the leader new that he had been defeated, "When he got stabbed in the chest" He grabbed Aragorn and pulled him forward so his whole sword went through him and growled at him. :D

The movie ends with Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn letting Frodo and Sam go and setting off to save Pippin and Marry.

I am soooooo glad that I only have to wait a year for the next one.

Did any of you get popcorn and pop at the midnight show? They wouldn't open the stands for us! :(

Anyway, back on subject. Go see this movie. I don't care if you have to walk, crawl, bike, skydive, forgo the popcorn and pop, whatever. JUST DO IT.

Score: a very well deserved 10

ThomasLane
12-19-2001, 09:57 PM
You guys are torturing me! I don't get to see it until Saturday. Aaarrrggghhhh!

bigbarada
12-19-2001, 10:54 PM
Word's cannot describe how I was feeling after seeing this film. I saw it at the first showing in my town at noon today and I have been walking around since the credits rolled at around 3:30 in a sort of shock. Never have I seen anything so close to perfection on screen.

There were many changes in the film from the book, some trivial others major. However everything seemed to fit within the context of the movie. Most of what was altered involved the necessary streamlining of the story in order to fit in the 3 hour running time. As Sir Ian McKellan said, "The book is the book, this is the movie."

As amazing as the movie was, it is not for everybody. Peter Jackson manages to avoid falling into the "thrill-a-minute roller coaster ride" trap that so many modern films succumb to. Those expecting just such an affair should watch another film. FOTR has a story to tell and characters to develop and it takes it's time doing it. The effort pays off at the end of the film and you find yourself caring for these characters and ready to plunk down another $4 (one of the advantages of being in a small town) to see the next installment right away.

I've fallen in love with movies because they have entertained me, touched my heart or moved me in some other intangible way. Rare is it to encounter a film that does all of this at once, as FOTR does.

Sith Worm
12-20-2001, 02:03 AM
Well, well,

Here we are after awaiting this for so long. I do say bravo Peter, bravo. I as Biggin' mentioned noticed many many changes such as the drast changing of the end, but never the less the best movie in A long time. And in Dec. of next year you bet your sweet a** i'll be there again. I grew up with this told to me for bedtime stories and found it alittle hard to swallow at times such as the absence of the Gaffer and the fact that Sam is not at the mirror with Frodo this makes me think that the whole last chapter of Return of the King will not be on film. I could go on about the things that are missing forever and lose total sight of the fact that this is one of the best movies ever, but still this story is told best in it's true form and lives on A much richer life in my mind. Well in the end all have to say is did any of you have the AOTC trailer attached to the movie? I did, dare I say Mr. Lucas you have A tuff act to follow, but i'm sure you will be up for the challange! Won't you...

Wolfwood319
12-20-2001, 06:33 AM
I guess I'm lucky then. When I went into the theater, I wasn't expecting to see the book, I was going to see a movie. And that put me into the right mind set. I knew about the majority of the changes, but none of them bothered me for the most part.

I think a lot of Tolkien-ites had a problem with this film because they were to critical comparing the film to the book, instead of watching the film as a film. Whereas those who saw the movie who have only read the books a few times or never read them at all absolutely loved the film.

We didn't get an AOTC trailer, but we did get a trailer for Austin Poweres: Goldmember that was quite funny.

bigbarada
12-20-2001, 06:50 PM
I fully understand that changes have to be made to when adapting a novel to the screen. The differences I saw that some think would break the film didn't bother me in the least. After seeing the incredible job he did on the film I trust Peter Jackson's judgement as a director. He doesn't yet have the "ego vs. good sense" conflict that seems to have struck George Lucas after so much success.

In fact throughout the film I marvelled at just how faithful to the book Peter Jackson remained.

Rollo Tomassi
12-21-2001, 07:42 AM
That's not really a fair comparison. There is no book for Lucas to be "faithful" to, save the one in his skull which no one but he has read.

I started rereading FOTR a few weeks ago and am and was in the middle of it when I saw the movie Tuesday night. So I recognised every little thing that was different from the book. Dialogue spoken by a different character, or coming at a different time in the film, but it all worked. When Frodo says "I don't think we shall ever see them again." at the close of the film and Samwise (Good ol' faithful Sam!) says "We may yet. We may." I had this huge lump in my throat at the vast epic that had been thrown down before me. I couldn't wait to see the next six hours of film, knowing all that they go through. Sure, it's not the book, but it IS an epic in its own right. And every little thing that remains faithful to the book, just reminds you of everything left unsaid in the movie. So even though we don't see Tom Bombadil, or Farmer Maggot (unless that was him getting mowed down by the ringwraith) we can close our eyes and see that scene on the cutting room floor because the part that was left in the film is so rich and faithful to the source material. There is plenty time to nitpick about the minor details (362 days!) but this will go down as the best film of 2001 for me.

bigbarada
12-21-2001, 12:05 PM
True, comparing the unwritten Star Wars to the nearly set in stone LOTR is somewhat unfair. However, I'm getting a little tired of GL patting himself on the back for his "innovative" ways of dealing with problems (replacing Wookies with Ewoks, making Battle Droids even more bumbling than OT Stormtroopers, etc.).

A friend of mine from work said that he wished Tim Burton would have been asked to direct LOTR. Hah!! After the hack-job he did on Planet of the Apes I don't think he should be asked to direct anything ever again.

Wolfwood319
12-21-2001, 12:21 PM
I think it is fair to the completed and now seen FOTR movie, to, let's say TPM. With FOTR, PJ had a source material to work from, GL had the OT to work from. People compared FOTR movie to the book, whereas with TPM, it was compared to the OT.

I know it isn't fair to compare a movie to a book, and then a movie to a movie, but that tends to be how its been regarded.

Plus, I don't think AOTC will hold a candle to Fellowship. I remember the general buzz when TPM came out, and everyone saying how they can't wait to see it and how it'll be good, and then most fans saying how they didn't like the movie at all. AOTC might be good, then again it might not be.

And Yes, Tim Burton should not be allowed to direct anymore. I was never a big fan of him in the first place, but POTA wasn't very good at all.

bigbarada
12-21-2001, 12:27 PM
Check this out:

http://us.imdb.com/top_250_films

FOTR has rocketed to the number one spot in IMDB's top 250 movies of all time. I assume this is just internet users voting; but I believe it is a testament on just how well Peter Jackson has spoken to the fans with his version of the story. It beat out films like The Godfather, Shawshank Redemption and **ahem** Star Wars.

JediCole
12-21-2001, 03:00 PM
How much DID I love this movie? Well, I cannot answer that until (hopefully) tonight. I should finally be able to get out to see it tonight with Mrs. JediCole, Sith Worm, and Future Mrs. Sith Worm. Of course this will be at least the third screening for SW. He called me last night, almost about to wet himself, because he could not wait for tonight to see it again. He was partaking an a 9:15 PM showing that I had to pass on due to the fact that I would be dead by now if I had gone. My delay is more from having a million things to do this week, and work, than from a lack of wanting to see the movie. I really can't wait! Besides, Frank Decaro of The Daily Show said that it does a great job of balancing all of the razzle dazzle with a good story, which he said, "isn't easy considering this story has more characters than The Bible!"
I thought you might enjoy that line. The review on The Daily Show was hillarious and repleat with lines like that. Well, I will return soon with my apprasal of how much I love LOTR!

Sith Worm
12-21-2001, 07:31 PM
Utinni, un-plug awhile you are scaring the children...

bigbarada
12-22-2001, 12:14 PM
In other news, FOTR recieved four Golden Globe nominations: Best Motion Picture-Drama; Best Director; Best Musical Score; and Best Original Song for Enya's "May It Be."

http://www.hfpa.org/nominations2002.html

:cool:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-22-2001, 04:46 PM
Caught the flick on opening night Wednesday. The theater was surprisingly half full, and filled with mostly people I could just tell where loyal Tolkkenites.

The previews alone were worth the price of admission (okay, just kdding :rolleyes: ) But saw the preview for AOTC, some Denzel flick, a Mel Gibson Alien-type flick and some other movie.

The movie itself was a blast. Even though it was three hours long, I didn't find myself staring at my watch every 10 minutes like normally do during long movies. The movie featured quite a balance of action, suspense and drama. Nothing too overdone, the fight scenes weren't at all drawn out or gory. The acting was superb, and I like the fact this contained only a very few number of superstar actors.

Episode I wasn't even as half as good as this movie is. It made me want to rush home and dust off the trilogy books I haven't read in years.:happy:

Rollo Tomassi
12-23-2001, 03:19 AM
I am loathe to start yet another LOTR thread, so I will plop this one in here and give us multiple topics to talk about.

What were your favorite parts of the film? the novel? Which parts of the novel would you have liked to have seen on the big-screen? Which parts of the film would you like to have seen expanded? on the cutting room floor? What's your favorite dialogue from the movie? the novel? Any book dialogue that came across different than you remember? for better? for worse? Any scenes come across different? again, for better or for worse? In general I would like your thoughts about the novel and the film in relation to each other...

For instance. The cave troll. Although one was mentioned in the book, they never actually fought with it. Did you like that scene? Was it too CGI for you?

Another is Isildur's sword. In the novel, Strider carried the broken hilt about with him. There was a particular scene in the novel where he threatens Sam with it, only to pull it out and reveal that only the hilt and a few inches of blade remain. I liked that better than having it on a statue in Rivendell. Although, in the book, I believe it was reforged in Rivendell before they leave, isn't it? I think in the movie, he will reforge it much later, and I like the symbolism of waiting better.

I wanted to see more of Bill the pony. He seemed to be a bigger character in the book from what I remember.

The flee from the shire to Bree to Rivendell seemed to be the novel on fast forward. Somebody grabbed the remote away and BAM! before you know it, it is done.

The same goes for the truncated Lothlorien scenes. They spent three chapters in the Lorein woods and only about five minutes on screen. I really wanted to see the blind fold scenes. I liked the subtle touches that they are all wearing the leaf clasps about their cloaks after they leave. I didn't notice until my third viewing.

Although she did a fine job, I'm still a little irked by the warrior Arwen. They remained so faithful for the rest of the film, that that sticks out even more.

I was also a little disturbed to see Sauron "in the flesh" as it were. They never describe him the novels, so naturally their version was different from the one in my head.

I liked the foreshadowing in Isengard when the are pulling the trees up roots and all, rather than simply chopping them down...

For some reason, I am going around saying 'Fool of a Took!' all the time. I think it might be the best line in the movie. that and 'We may yet. We may...' Great stuff!

ThomasLane
12-23-2001, 03:57 PM
I brought my 4 year old son to the movie (yes, I know, it's not a kids' movie, but he loved it). I too, thought the uprooting of the trees of Isengard was a great touch. It will really give the siege in the next movie real meaning. My only complaint with the movie is that you don't get a feel for the timeline, and people (or creatures) seem to be able to cover a great deal of distance in a very short amount of time. I guess I've read the books too many times, but it was still my favorite movie in a long time.

The cave troll scene was awesome. The creature in the lake was much more frightening than anything I had imagined. The Balrog was incredible, but seemed to move in slow motion. Of course, I though Ian McKellan was wonderful, as was most of the cast, but I was really surprised at Ian Holm. He captured Bilbo (in my opinion) perfectly.

master jedi
12-23-2001, 04:15 PM
I went to see LotR a second time last night and I thought it was much better this time.

bigbarada
12-23-2001, 06:50 PM
The removal of Bill the Pony's story was the only dissappointment of the movie for me. Probably because I became really attached to the pony in the novel. I once had a dog that I liberated from an abusive owner and it took me a long time to get her to trust people again. So I guess Bill's story just touched me in a personal way.

Many other changes from the novel were surprising in the least. The only one that really confused me was Frodo not sneaking away from the Fellowship using the Ring. Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn sat and watched him and Sam go across the river. I don't really know why PJ did that.

I wish Gimli's falling in love with Galadriel and his friendship with Legolas had been touched on in the film. And revamping Moria into a recently conquered Dwarven stronghold was a little strange. However, I think all of this was done to simply streamline and focus the story on Frodo and the Ring.

Arwen didn't bother me at all, and I am glad that PJ didn't fall into the temptation to replace one of the Fellowship with her, in order to "modernize" the story to be more politically correct. A lesser director would probably have done it. Good restraint on PJ's part: he strengthened one of the female roles, got rid of an unnecessary character (Glorfindel) and kept the integrity of the story.

I have a feeling reforging The Sword of Elendil will be a plot point for the next film. I don't remember past the middle of TTT very well, but doesn't Arwen present Aragorn with a war banner of some sort? Maybe that will be replaced with Elendil for the movie.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-24-2001, 11:01 AM
What is a Lord of the Rings spoiler? Is it something from the novel? Or a plot change in the film? It's been over 10 years since I've read the books, and some details are coming back to me slowly. If someone (huh? :confused: ) hasn't yet read the books at all (HUH? :confused: :eek: ), are we "spoiling" the whole film for them? I don't think so, but then again, I know the plot.

Saddest thing for me, is that knowing how everything ends up in The Return of the King, I was less emotionally distraught at certain scenes.

Great parts:
Opening battle scene
Any long shot of the cities and Shire
The Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom-ish mine of Sauraman's army
Birthday party fireworks
Bilbo's "Gollum" look
Sauraman vs. Gandalf

Excellent! :)

derek
12-25-2001, 02:20 AM
not knowing anything about this story, i saw it on opening day with an open mind. i was very impressed, but i'm sad to say i wasn't blown away. i wanted to be. i went and watched it again today, because the quality of this film is so high, it deserves a second viewing. again, i wasn't blown away. but this was the first film. i bet parts 2 and 3 will be a lot better. i guess my major complaint is i wasn't able to identify with the hobbits. i thought the elves and king's heir(viggo mortenson) were a lot cooler characters.

i can't say how much i wish lucas would of adopted this style of filmmaking for both trilogies. serious, a darker tone, to the point and beautifully filmed with clever dialogue. none of the goofey one liners and attempts to appeal to the lowest common denominator with stuff like ewoks and jar-jar.

master jedi
12-25-2001, 09:14 PM
What I didn't think they didn't express well in the movie was that they were traveling for several weeks. In the movie it seemed like they were traveling for several days.

Brave Sir Robin
12-26-2001, 01:10 PM
I just saw this film on Christmas Eve. I thought it was excellent. Here are what I found to be the highlights of the film...

Legolas (this guy is awesome)
Ringwraiths (spooky and cool)
Gandalf (extremly well played by Sir Ian)
Bilbo's house (EXACTLY how it should look)
The Cave-Troll (my favorite scene!)

bigbarada
12-26-2001, 05:47 PM
I loved how everyone was trudging through the snow on Cahadras and Legolas looked like he was just taking a stroll through the park. Very elvish and also very cool!!:cool:

Sith Worm
12-26-2001, 06:34 PM
Legolas Legolas Legolas, by far the best part of the movie Biggin' did you also notice him running up the cave Troll's chain? he is the break out character of movie can't wait until his and Gimli's little game at Helms Deep in TT!

bigbarada
12-26-2001, 08:49 PM
Legolas was awesome; but I've always been partial to dwarves and orcs, myself. This is the first movie I've seen that actually portrays dwarves as a proud warrior people not garden gnomes. (BTW D&D doesn't really count since their dwarf was over 5 feet tall and didn't do anything)

The one thing that I am hoping for most is PJ getting the green light to make The Hobbit after he's finished with LOTR. I'd love to see how they pull off all those dwarf characters so the audience can tell them apart at a glance. There were 13 if I'm not mistaken.

GNT
12-26-2001, 09:21 PM
I haven't seen it yet but I cant wait to see it becuase of all the fuss I'm hearing about it :)

Rollo Tomassi
12-28-2001, 10:19 AM
originally by BCJ
Saddest thing for me, is that knowing how everything ends up in The Return of the King, I was less emotionally distraught at certain scenes.

I thought the scene immediately following Gandalf's fall was amazingly emotional. And then I looked around at all the people in the audience and realized most of them probably hadn't read the books, so they must REALLY be affected by it.

I asked a friend who hadn't read the books how many of the fellowship survive to the end of the trilogy. He said 2. I told him the correct answer and then chuckled as I walked away, because I had confused him so...

Wolfwood319
12-28-2001, 11:56 PM
If there was one part of the movie I wasn't completely blown away by, it was the stuff in lothlorien. I've seen pics of scenes that were filmed where the elves give the group there gifts, and cloaks and stuff. As well as another convo by some elves. It seems that they filmed all this stuff, started putting the film together and editing it, realized that they were already over the 2.5 hour mark, and cut most of lothlorien scenes out to keep the film as short as possible. (I realize too that the previous sentence was an extremely long run-on.:p )

bigbarada
12-29-2001, 04:49 PM
Has anyone seen how much some of the LOTR merchandise is going for? I finally found the gaming miniatures at a Hastings book store and it was $40!!! For nine little half inch metal figures!!! This was even the retail price to make matters worse!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I was looking forward to the miniatures so I could have the entire Fellowship journeying across my bookshelf in front of where I keep my Tolkien books. The Toy Biz figures are way too big for that.

Oh well, the bright side is maybe they'll be on clearance soon since I don't foresee too many people rushing out to buy a $40 set of miniatures.

Anyways, moving on to The Two Towers; does anyone know who they've gotten to play Eowyn, Theodin and Wormtongue? I've heard that Treebeard hasn't been cut from the movie, wonder what he'll look like?

derek
12-29-2001, 09:30 PM
i just read an interview with the guy who plays gandolf the grey. he said he'll be in the next films as gandalf the white, kind of like chris lee's character. so did he die, or do wizards just reform as another "shade" in middle earth?

the third film is called "return of the king". is the viggo mortenson character going to become king?

and how many times will frodo get stabbed or poked with a spear in the next two films?:crazed: my guess is 4!:D

master jedi
12-29-2001, 09:44 PM
The third time seeing LotR is great. It seems like it gets better each time I see it.

In the next movie Sauromon(sp?) the white gives up his color or something and Gandolf is now Gandolf the white instead of Gandolf the grey. I'm not sure what really happens because I haven't read the book yet.

AmanaMatt
12-30-2001, 02:58 AM
FOTR is a truly fantastic movie; blows away EP I without comparison... I am honestly not anticipating Ep II they way I am TTT.

FX wise, FOTR is an awsome achievement!

bigbarada
12-30-2001, 04:06 PM
Knowing what the average person does about movie special effects, I recognized all of the effects from Ep1 as simple bluescreen work. Admittedly, high quality and well coordinated bluescreen work, but still nothing more than an improvement of what we had seen many times before. In fact most people I talked to where very disappointed with the FX in Ep1. That and the overload of "making of" documentaries before the movie was released effectively deflating the "wow" factor.

With LOTR I was totally amazed once I saw Frodo jump into Gandalf's arms and saw the size difference. I've still been unable to figure out how they shrunk all these actors so convincingly. I guess that's why the movie still holds a lot of magic for me; I don't know how they did it and I am in no rush to learn.

So if you know, don't tell me.

ThomasLane
12-30-2001, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by derek
and how many times will frodo get stabbed or poked with a spear in the next two films?:crazed: my guess is 4!:D

If PJ follows the story correctly, he won't get stabbed again, but he will get bitten... twice.

Wolfwood319
12-30-2001, 10:57 PM
Treebeard will be completely CGI and voiced by John Rhys-Davies. The actors for Wormtongue and Eowyn are at Tolkienonline.com.

As for $40 for 9 metal figures, that is what Games Workshop has them retail at. Actually, GW has lower prices for LOTR stuff then for their Warhammer stuff. GW is notorious for extremely high prices. $10 for 1 metal miniature! The mark-ups are huge, I know, I used to work for GW. Employees get a 50% discount, and expected to spend a certain amount of money per month on the hobby. And don't expect them to go on clearence, ever.

Your better off buying the action figures, BB.

And no, Gandalf did not die, technically.

kit fristo
12-31-2001, 01:58 AM
IT WAS THE BEST.
LEGOLAS THE ELFAN WORRIOR.
AGAGORN THE KING OF KINGS.
2 TOWERS I CARNT WAIT...........

Darth Rage
12-31-2001, 03:28 AM
I loved the battle scenes in LOTR, but I will always love starwars first... im not into those hobbit things.

Darth Cruel
12-31-2001, 09:17 AM
I finally got the chance to see LOTR:FOTR for the first time last night...11 days after it's release! After waiting 21 years for this movie to come out there is no doubt in my mind that it was worth the wait to have the right man (Peter Jackson) take the helm. I knew it would unseat Star Wars as my all-time favorite movie and that happened. The way PJ told the story was very nearly right from out of my own mind. I have not one complaint about the movie. I even like the differences between the movie and the book as they were unimportant, but made for a few small surprises even for someone like me who has read the 4 books at least a half dozen times.

Because a lot of people who saw the movie but didn't read the book didn't mention Gandalf's falling in the mines of Moria, I was almost thinking that they they left that part out. Thank goodness there is only a one year wait for TTT.

And I cannot wait for the home media version, whatever that ends up being, to come out. I will own it and watch it often with my children. My introduction to this story is one of my favorite memories and I hope it will mean at least a small something to my kids.

My only regret is that I will not collect the figures as they are atrocious. What a disappointment they were. Even with the real scan technology (which did it's job detailing the characters very well) the gimmicks like the stupid sword-swinging action, bow-drawing action, and those two contacts sticking out of Gandalf's figure's hand in order to light up his staff, take away from the figures by necessitating unsightly levers and reduced poseability in the figures. I may consider collecting these if these things change in upcoming figures.

Sith Worm
01-01-2002, 10:05 PM
Alas, I have returned! As Sith Worm the White! I have thrown down my enemy and his fall has broken A mountin! Actually I got A PS2 and haven't even turned on my PC for 3 days! Any ways Wolfy John Rhys-Davies is going to the voice? Thats going to be wicked! Once again I agree with Biggin' The magic in this movie is most of the sets were mind blowin and most were made my hand not computer I heard that Cate was standing on a card board box in the mirror scene not done with computer! I love it I love the attention to something i have loved dearly for so long and the awards man the awards up for best picture in the bloody Oscars! By the way those that read the Silm. know that can never die, one part of the book that was left out was the importance of the colors like that Saurmon's multi colored cloak wasn't in the movie "I am Saurmon of many colors!" oh well i've seen it 5 times now and will see it again and again. Oh and actually Frodo bets wacked a couple of times before the famous "bite"...

2-1B
01-02-2002, 12:45 AM
I saw this movie today and I thought it was very good. I was particularly fond of McKellan, as well as Christopher Lee.

My intent is not to blaspheme, but I was really annoyed by the Hobbits. Frankly, I have no interest in the fate of Pippin and Marry. And Sam . . . well I wasn't very fond of him either. But I must say that Elijah Wood was better than I anticipated.

Nevertheless, I commend Peter Jackson (whom I also admire for Dead Alive and The Frighteners :D ) on delivering a beautiful and epic picture.

Also, I am very happy to see that so many of you Tolkien fans are pleased with the film !

Rollo Tomassi
01-02-2002, 11:13 AM
So what we have goin on here are disparate elements. Some people have read and reread the trilogy and are discussing the sequels without a mind to the "movie-only" type people in regards to SPOILERS(e.g. What happens to Gandalf. Frodo being "bitten" etc) We've got the people who haven't read the books, but want to know what happens next, but aren't inclined to pick up and read the greatest book trilogy ever. (LAZY. I suggest you go out and buy the trilogy immediately if you are so curious as to what happens next...) And we've got the people who don't want anything ruined by discussion in this section (future plot twists, f/x wizardry, etc...)

I suggest SirSteve rename his website Sir Steves Guide to Star Wars (and LOTR) and start some new forums such as LOTR films (Spoilers), LOTR films(No Spoilers), LOTR TOYS, and LOTR books...

P.S. Big barada... Small children and wide angle lenses

jeddah
01-02-2002, 07:50 PM
just got back from the cinema

I have only a few things to say; the first is a quote from a wise forum member;

As Sir Ian McKellan said, "The book is the book, this is the movie."

(that was BigBarada if you need to know)

I am glad this was pointed out so early in the thread as so many people I've chatted to on the 'net and in for-really-land have been stressing about whether it will be better than SW and in my opin' that's irrelevant. LOTR was a book before it was a film.

secondly, I was also pleased that there was no technology - for example alot of fantasy has become techno-oriented in this day and age, just take Dargo's Qalta blade for example - I was glad to see no contraptions opening up and doing stuff, just proper true-to-the-book fantasy - I can see why you liked it so much B.Barada (and I visited your site a couple of weeks ago; fantastic art)

Finally, J R R Tolkien wrote the book (or books - I was no fan until tonight) here in Bournemouth. We have a load of pubs and touristy stuff (The Tapp and Hobbit being my regular) that I never cared about before, so I'm doubley happy. :)

OK, I said a few things, but let's make it 4; I thought this was a fantastic epic and spent most of it with tears in my eyes; fave part? The gigantic human statues either side of the river.

jeddah

derek
01-02-2002, 08:45 PM
are you calling me lazy, rollo? any more outbursts like that and i won't start threads in the general discussion forum with your name in the title. :crazed:

now tell me, who's the king in part 3! and i want the short version!:crazed: i'm very busy:D

Bel-Cam Jos
01-04-2002, 12:40 PM
now tell me, who's the king in part 3! and i want the short version!:crazed: i'm very busy:D

Well, if I recall correctly, Kong becomes king in the third movie, after being chained on an island. Later, he destroys his tall building and falls to his death after being attacked by flying objects. Or something like that... :o

So, "Spoilers" is too ambiguous a concept for this STAR WARS website? Okay.

Rollo Tomassi
01-04-2002, 01:28 PM
are you calling me lazy, rollo? any more outbursts like that and i won't start threads in the general discussion forum with your name in the title. :crazed:

All I'm saying is that the answers you seek are but a short read away. But I'll throw this one to you for free.

In the third movie the title refers to King Elesar.;) (heh.)

bigbarada
01-05-2002, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the compliments of my artwork, jeddah. Much appreciated. :)

Just got done watching the old Return of the King cartoon three times in a row today. I was watching it with my four year old nephew who yelled out, "Again! Again!" everytime the credits rolled. I'm wondering, though, how accurate is this cartoon to the actual events of ROTK? I'm still reading through The Two Towers so I haven't gotten that far yet.

BTW, Rollo, I didn't really need to know that.:rolleyes: But I guess it just goes to show that you don't always need CG when you have ingenuity.

master jedi
01-05-2002, 05:37 PM
Strider is the king isn't he?

derek
01-05-2002, 10:55 PM
i just went to wal mart and read the last part of return of the king, where strider gave his crown to the exiled 87 year old king of afganistan.:D

i saw this film for the 3rd time yesterday. i like it more every time i see it. i think i was overwhelmed by the beauty and volume to fully appreciate it the first time.

master jedi
01-05-2002, 11:08 PM
I went to the midnight showing of LOTR on the first day (like they did with TPM) and was both overwhelmed and a sleepy. The only downside was that the concession stands weren't open.

I'm planning to see it a 4th time on Monday but don't know if I'll get to. I hope it'll be better this time.

Rollo Tomassi
01-06-2002, 07:13 AM
The 1st annual AFI Awards gave LOTR their "best Picture of the Year Award" Now it just has to sweep the Golden Globies and the Oscars...:D It also won best Production Design but lost best musical score to Moulin Rouge.

Jackson wasn't even up for director (which went to Altman for Gosford park) and Denzel sucked in Training Day but he still ended up winning best actor over Russel Crowe for Beautiful Mind....what the helly?!?! Memento got best Screenplay and editing.. That's all I can remember. No one cares about them TV awards or the chicky actress awards anyway...:p :rolleyes:

Sith Worm
01-06-2002, 04:45 PM
Strider isn't the King, Aragorn is!:crazed:

Aside from my smart a** coment did you not whatch this movie it clearly states he has chosen "exile" then shows a close up! I have A strong wanting to see what happens to all the Hobbits and feel a strong connection, but then I have read the books and already know what they go through all I have to say is buckle up and don't let go and try not to throw up on this coster...

Really though read the books this is the greatest fantasy on paper ever, some say best on paper period, seriously read them. You don't know what your missing. You think the movie is good you have seen nothing...

And Biggin' not even close!

master jedi
01-06-2002, 08:46 PM
I'm in the process of reading the book and so far I like it better than the movie.

I like how Gollum killed his friend for the ring on his birthday.

Rollo Tomassi
01-07-2002, 10:00 AM
I am in the middle of rereading The Two Towers right now, and I'm wondering how they are going to structure the film, time wise. Much of the book is told out of chronological order and it works in the book, but it may not work well on screen. Will they cut back and forth between Frodo and Sam's story and the rest of the Fellowship? A lot of Merry and Pippin's story in the first half is told in flashback. Will they keep that intact or tell as much of the story in real time like they did with Gandalf's capture by Saruman in FOTR? Even with three hours, if you split up the two stories (books 3 and 4) you've only got 90 minutes to tell each one. And then you have to break up book 3 between Merry, Pippin, and the Ents (The ENTS!! Hurrah!) and the other three tracking the hobbits, meeting "the old man", riding to Edoras, introducing Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, and Womtongue, riding to Helm's Deep, the BIG battle, then heading off to Isengard. All of that crammed into one half of one half of the movie. 45 minutes. Does the march of the huorns work better when you don't see what it is until the hobbits explain it at the end, or do you want to see everything happening simultaneously? it is especially creepy to be the audience participating with the Rohirrim and watching the huorns move past you in the night and not knowing what they are. I think the ruin of Isengard works better if you come upon it after it happens like you see it in the book, rather than watching it as it happens. And that's not even counting book 4 with Sam, Frodo, Gollum, and Faramir. it will be interesting to see how PJ edits the film together...

bigbarada
01-07-2002, 08:50 PM
I've been wondering the same things Rollo. Although I'm pretty sure the scene in Shelob's Lair will be the climax of the movie as it was in the book. Can't wait to see Shelob onscreen!

I think, to keep from confusing the audience too much, the movie will progress in chronological order, cutting back and forth between Frodo, Sam and Gollum and the rest of the Fellowship. Hard enough to keep up with all the names and characters as it is. However, I think many subplots and characters will be much abbreviated or removed to streamline the story as we saw in FOTR. Legolas and Gimli's friendship wasn't touched on at all in PJ's FOTR; but I hope it's not forsaken altogether.

master jedi
01-08-2002, 10:12 PM
I went to see LotR a 4th time today and must say that it gets better every time. You notice more and more things cramed into this film every time you see it.

The only downside to this time was that there were these two teenage girls talking through the film. They were laughing at everything in the movie even especially during serious scenes. They also called everybody in the movie a psycho. I hate people do that.

SithDroid
01-27-2002, 03:01 PM
I must say that I quite enjoyed the film. I wouldn't mind going to see it again. Great acting, special effects, action, sets, costumes, and directing.

Rollo Tomassi
02-02-2002, 09:33 AM
I just noticed something. In The Two Towers, the timeline is kind of favoring Frodo and Sam. By the time the other half of the story is finished, Sam and Frodo are still in the swamp of the dead. Then they have about another week's worth of adventures meeting Faramir, getting to Shelobs Lair, etc. So, will the movie

A. rearrange continuity, so that The rest of the crew are finishing up with *******, as Sam and Frodo are climbing the stairs. Or

B. Dip into the third book, so that the climax is the same for both groups, like having the Dawnless day be the finale.

What do you guys think?

bigbarada
02-02-2002, 10:42 AM
I think PJ will cut back and forth between the groups to keep time flowing conventionally. If the movie jumps around the way the books do then it might overly confuse an audience who is still just trying to keep up with all the characters, places and names.

I believe Shelob's Lair and Sam's decision, **spoiler**to take the Ring**spoiler**, will be the cliffhanger ending of TTT.

Sith Worm
04-18-2002, 04:22 PM
Hey whats up all you Tolkien fans out there almost there only 7 months one week and two days left until the Two Towers man can't wait... oh yeah and that other Lucas movie is coming out next month...

Darth Cruel
04-18-2002, 04:45 PM
Has anyone seen the TTT trailer yet? TTT looks to be even better than TLOTR. My prayers of twenty years have been answered!

Wolfwood319
04-18-2002, 05:37 PM
Well, "Two Towers'' is part of "The Lord of the Rings," but yes it TT looks to be better than "Fellowship of the Ring." ;)

There's already a more up to date thread in the movie forums, where we've been keeping up with TT.

El Chuxter
04-18-2002, 06:21 PM
Just curious if anyone didn't think this movie was the best thing since sliced bread. I thought it was okay, visually arresting, and with a great soundtrack. Ian was Gandalf, and Elijah was Frodo. Other than that, above average, but not as good as any of the four SW flicks, IMHO. Even TPM.

Wait! Don't ban me yet!! :)

I think my problem with it was that, after hassling my girlfriend for three months to see it (she made me agree not to see it without her), I'd been hearing nothing short of perfect as far as reviews go. And I didn't think it was a perfect film, so I was disappointed.

I'm sure when my girlfriend gets both DVD sets, I'll get to see it again and again and again and again, ad nauseum, until I change my mind about it.

Eternal Padawan
04-19-2002, 09:09 AM
Yes, you do that.

I read that TTT ends before they even get to Shelobs lair. What!?! That would have been the perfect cliffhanger. Frodo dies (no one sees that coming! :eek: ) and SAM, the unlikeliest of heroes, Sam has to take the ring and finish the quest. Now the Shelob stuff is shoehorned into the third movie somewhere making the entire thing anticlimactic... GRRRRR

JEDIpartner
04-19-2002, 10:32 AM
but it was better than the book.

master jedi
04-20-2002, 01:21 AM
I saw LotR a 6th time a few weeks ago with my sister. This was my sisters first time seeing it and she hated it. But my brother and I are begining to break her. She also likes going to kids movies, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Eternal Padawan
04-21-2002, 09:22 AM
My sister went and was squirming for the last hour. Just as Sam and Frodo start down into Emyn Muil, she says "When is this movie going to be over?!?" Then it faded to credits two seconds later and she was like "THAT'S the END?!!?" it was funny she was complaining the movies wasn't over just as it ended. :D

DarthQuack
05-04-2008, 11:45 PM
I haven't watched these in a while, I should schedule a 10 hour viewing for the extended editions.

stillakid
05-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Just curious if anyone didn't think this movie was the best thing since sliced bread.

I found the films to be terribly boring and without purpose. There was no inherent rationale for the "hero" to go on the journey. The super beings who accompanied him were not so super. Everyone on the journey was expendable to the point where it didn't really matter if anyone lived or died. Each new scene was just an excuse to introduce some new weird kind of creature. Peter Jackson has proven time and time again that he is in desperate need of an Editor. "Epic" does not have to mean "Long".

So no, this trilogy of films is NOT the best thing since sliced bread. BIODOME is better only because it's shorter and takes up less of my life to watch.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-05-2008, 01:38 AM
I found the films to be terribly boring and without purpose. There was no inherent rationale for the "hero" to go on the journey. The super beings who accompanied him were not so super. Everyone on the journey was expendable to the point where it didn't really matter if anyone lived or died. Each new scene was just an excuse to introduce some new weird kind of creature. Peter Jackson has proven time and time again that he is in desperate need of an Editor. "Epic" does not have to mean "Long".

So no, this trilogy of films is NOT the best thing since sliced bread. BIODOME is better only because it's shorter and takes up less of my life to watch.

I LOVE Biodome, I have it on DVD :thumbsup: and Encino Man too!

2-1B
05-05-2008, 01:40 AM
no love for Son-In-Law ?

you are a bunch of posers...no TRUE fans of The Weasel here that I can tell.

bigbarada
05-05-2008, 02:09 AM
I haven't watched these in a while, I should schedule a 10 hour viewing for the extended editions.

As much as I love these movies, I can't see myself sitting through all of them at once. The closest thing to a marathon I ever had was when I watched one Extended Edition per night for three nights in a row. But I've never been able to do marathons with any series of movies, not even Star Wars. I usually lose interest about four hours in and decide to go do something more productive with my time.

JimJamBonds
05-05-2008, 11:08 PM
I thought the first one was ok, the second was better and the third was the worst one of them all.

Rocketboy
05-05-2008, 11:42 PM
I saw the first two. I thought they were insanely boring.
I'd watch The Blues Brothers before I watch the last one.

JimJamBonds
05-06-2008, 01:51 AM
I'd watch The Blues Brothers before I watch the last one.

The Blues Brothers or Blues Brothers 2000?

Rocketboy
05-06-2008, 10:25 AM
I'd make it a double feature before I watch the third LOTR.

DarthQuack
05-06-2008, 11:11 AM
I'd make it a double feature before I watch the third LOTR.

I'll raise that bet to include Big Top Pee-Wee in the middle of those 2 movies.

Blue2th
05-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Well, all in all I liked most of LOTR, but I was dissapointed the Dwarves didn't come to help at the Gates of Mordor like they did in the book.
Maybe we can get an extended-extended-extended version of ROTK. I think I can put up with more butt sores for that.

UKWildcat
05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
I enjoyed all three immensely.

bigbarada
05-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Well, all in all I liked most of LOTR, but I was dissapointed the Dwarves didn't come to help at the Gates of Mordor like they did in the book.
Maybe we can get an extended-extended-extended version of ROTK. I think I can put up with more butt sores for that.

Well, Peter Jackson is supposedly working on a 2-movie adaption of The Hobbit, so we'll get to see plenty of Dwarves in battle soon.

DarthQuack
05-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Well, Peter Jackson is supposedly working on a 2-movie adaption of The Hobbit, so we'll get to see plenty of Dwarves in battle soon.

We know that Guillermo Del Toro will be directing.... :)